Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 171
  1. #1

    • Decor Extraordinare
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    El Segundo & Hermosa Beach, CA
    Posts
    334

    Little and Well-Known Facts/Myths about Disneyland

    We've had some threads that discussed a few of these myths already, though they were closed for reasons unknown. I'd like to resurface some of those myths and add many more.

    All information in this post comes from Little Known Facts about Well Known Places: Disneyland by David Hoffman


    ~Disneyland's address is 1313 Harbor Blvd - this address was picked by Walt, not automatically given to the park.
    -- 13 may stand for M, the thirteenth letter in the alphabet, resulting in "M.M." [Mickey Mouse]. 1313 was also Donald Duck's address and 313 was Donald's license plate number.

    ~Upon opening in '55, Disneyland had only 18 attractions.
    -- Today, there are more than 60
    -- Opening day [for the press] was "Black Sunday" to the execs. Temps were over 100 degrees, the water fountains didn't work and toilets clogged [due to a plumbers' strike], all of the food was eaten up, and women's high heels were sinking into asphalt.

    ~The park was due to have a "Land of Oz," but it never made it into construction.

    ~When "Remember, Dreams Come True" was being arranged for the 50th anniversary, the pyro wasn't tested in Anaheim - it was conducted in China because of it's secrecy before the debut.

    ~There are more than 100,000 light bulbs illuminating the Main Street facades.
    -- Maintained by 54 full-time electricians.

    ~When a cast member is wearing a character costume, it is referred to as "duck duty."
    -- Give props to the "duck duty" CM's - it can hit upwards of 150 degrees in those costumes during the summer.
    -- Although the "duck duty" villains get roughed up a bit by zealous park-goers, their damage doesn't compare to the Seven Dwarfs, who receive the most trauma because they are the smallest.

    ~New CM's are sent to a day-long University called "Traditions," where the morales of the park are learned.

    ~Steve Martin used to work at DLR in the 60's as a balloon animal crafter at the Magic Shop.
    -- Among the celebrity staff was Michelle Pfeiffer [Alice - Electrical Parade], Rene Russo, and Ron Ziegler [Jungle Cruise Skipper].

    ~Henry Kissinger, former Secretary of State, loved Disneyland so much, he donned a uniform and sold popcorn from a cart. He went the whole shift without anyone knowing.

    ~The ground at the park's entrance is red to give the feeling of a red carpet treatment.
    -- The pavement on Main Street is black. Black asphalt heats up and keeps guests on the move into Main Street's shops.

    ~30 tons of garbage is disposed every day at DLR.
    -- 1,850 tons of garbage is recycled annually

    ~New Orleans Square is in fact several stories high.
    -- The boarding station for PotC is on the third floor. Beneath it is the rest of the ride and the Disney Employee Cafeteria, the entrance to which is directly between of the NOS Railroad Station and the restrooms.

    ~When the Matterhorn was built, it exceeded Anaheim's then-height limitation. At 147' tall, the city made the exception.
    -- The city also made an exception for the Submarine Voyage, when nothing was on record regarding the operation of underwater vessels in the city.
    -- The Matterhorn was revolutionary with its tubular steel track.

    ~The last attraction added before the switch from E-Ticket to Passport was Thunder Mountain in 1979.

    ~The turkey that is pardoned by the US President on Thanksgiving is sent to DLR [Big Thunder Ranch, to be exact] afterwards. This has been tradition since 2005.

    ~Imagineers used forced perspective when building to make the structures seems larger. The facades' scales on Main Street go from 9/10ths to 7/8ths to 5/8ths actual size.

    ~The walk-through of Sleeping Beauty Castle closed not to be renovated, but originally because of complaints from being too narrow and from 9/11 terrorist fears.

    ~One spire on the castle was purposely left unfinished [no plating was added] because Walt always said "Disneyland will never be completed as long as there is imagination left in the world." In the 90's refurb, it was covered with patina.
    -- The coat of arms hanging over the castle entrance is supposedly the Disney family crest.
    -- The drawbridge still works, though it hasn't been lifted in more than 20 years - in 1983 and during the grand opening of DLR.
    -- Junipers surround the moat because it is the one of the only plants that swans will not eat.
    -- The swans are rented by the park, always one male and one female.

    ~The cats among Disneyland are kept left alone because they keep the rodent population in check.
    -- Walt was afraid of mice.

    ~78 million mouse ears sold between opening day and 2005. That's enough for every child in America under the age of 18.
    -- 1760110 is the trademark number for "the configuration of a round head with round mouse ears attached."

    ~The first hidden Mickey was an H2O molecule in the Adventure Thru Inner Space ride.
    -- The ride was so dark that it eventually became "Adventure Thru Interco***" among CM's.
    -- The same concept can be applied to PotC, Haunted Mansion, and Small World.

    ~Disney's security is mostly undercover and among the crowds, though the entire fleet totals more than that of the City of Anaheim's police force.

    ~The lines on the left side of self-serve food vendors are usually shorter.

    ~One prime viewing spot for the fireworks is the platform of the Main Street Railroad station. It also allows for a speedy exit.
    -- If you want to watch it from outside the park, the best spot is northeast corner of the West Ball Rd and Sound Anaheim Blvd intersection [by the Sheraton Hotel's entrance].

    ~Jose the Macaw in the Enchanted Tiki Room can be awaken by simply asking of the CM's upon entering the room.
    -- Asking a CM can also get you a ride in the wheelhouse of the Riverboat and a front seat on the Monorail.

    ~Main Street's Gibson Girl sells enough ice cream annually to replicate the Matterhorn...in ice cream...at full scale.

    ~The Frontierland water tower is full-functioning.

    ~The Disneyland Railroad's tracks span a total of 1.5 miles. That's 20,000 mi per year a train travels around the park. One full ride takes 20 minutes.
    -- The Grand Canyon model seen on the Railroad is 306' long, making it the longest in the world.

    ~Lost and Found has recovered false teeth, a prosthetic leg, a glass eye, toupees...and a canary [how they managed that last one is beyond me.]

    ~The Main Street flagpole was purchased for 5 dollars when the park was built. It was originally a lamppost damaged in a car accident on Wilshire Blvd.
    -- The cannons on Main Street are real - used by the French Army in the 19th Century.
    -- The gas lamps lining the street are real - purchased at $0.03 a lb. There was a park power outage in 1982, and the only items that remained lit were the gas lamps.
    -- Disney doesn't let bulbs die - each one is replaced when it reaches 80% of it's life.
    -- Walk around Maint Street and try to find a 90 degree angle in the curbs. You won't, because the Walt thought they were "cold."

    ~The Penny Arcade used real ammunition in it's original shooting gallery - .22 caliber rifles. After a year passed, they were removed...I wonder why...
    -- Disney Clothiers, Ltd. is kept several degrees colder to get guests to make purchases on sweaters.

    ~The names of staff to help create the park can be found everywhere, from Main Street windows to tombstones to barrels...much like hidden Mickeys.

    ~The two roads that intersect Main Street are Center St and Plaza St, though have no signage.
    -- Often mistaken for gum, the pieces in the surface of Main Street are actually parade float guides that ensure they stop at the proper places. [Though I'm sure there is plenty of gum stuck to the surface, as well.]
    -- The street car and trolly tracks are greased every morning with vegetable oil.
    -- The horses have a special coating on their shoes that enhances the sound their feet make as they pull the streetcars down Main Street.

    ~The Disneyland Band was only supposed to play for 2 weeks after opening in '55, but has been kept playing ever since.

    More coming soon!
    [It's late and I have school tomorrow.]
    Last edited by Kablary; 01-04-2010 at 05:06 PM.
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    --------------------------------------------------

  2. #2

    • DL Obsessed
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    385

    Re: Little-Known and Well-Known Facts about Disneyland

    Those are very cool. some of them i knew but some are completely new and really interesting and cool to know!

  3. #3

    • Vroom, vroom!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Duarte, California.
    Posts
    773

    Re: Little-Known and Well-Known Facts about Disneyland

    Shweet I love learning new stuff about my favorite spot on earth
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.


    Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

  4. #4

    • Darkbeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Little-Known and Well-Known Facts about Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by Kablary View Post
    -- Opening day was "Black Sunday" to the execs. Temps were over 100 degrees, the water fountains didn't work and toilets clogged [due to a plumbers' strike], all of the food was eaten up, and women's high heels were sinking into asphalt.

    Note, Opening day was MONDAY, July 18th, you are referring to the International Press Preview if you are talking about July 17th.

    Disneyland Historical Documents/Photos - 1955 thru 1970 (11/6/08) - Darkbeer's Photos

    Amazing 1955 Historical Newspaper Section in regards to Disneyland's opening
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

  5. #5

    • De la Terre la Luke
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    331

    Re: Little-Known and Well-Known Facts about Disneyland

    Great facts, I'd never heard some of them before! Thanks for posting

  6. #6

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Riverside, California
    Posts
    302

    Re: Little-Known and Well-Known Facts about Disneyland

    For the Matterhorn construction fact, you are wrong. The city did NOT make an exception. The city code stated that only sports buildings could be more than the decreed height. So Disney put half a basketball court in the Matterhorn for it to qualify. Kinda like how in many countries most people never finish constructing their houses, because there is a tax on finished buildings.

  7. #7

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Little-Known and Well-Known Facts about Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by Telpeurion View Post
    For the Matterhorn construction fact, you are wrong. The city did NOT make an exception. The city code stated that only sports buildings could be more than the decreed height. So Disney put half a basketball court in the Matterhorn for it to qualify. Kinda like how in many countries most people never finish constructing their houses, because there is a tax on finished buildings.
    This is completely and utterly false.

  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The real So. Cal.
    Posts
    124

    Re: Little-Known and Well-Known Facts about Disneyland

    Never notice the scale changes on main street. Never really thought about it but yea it sure is. Thanks for the facts and thanks for Telpeurion for explaining "why" there is a basketball court in the Matterhorn.

  9. #9

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Little-Known and Well-Known Facts about Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by Kablary View Post
    ~The Frontierland water tower is a full-functioning source of power for the Railroad trains.
    Nitpicking, I know, but the water tower doesn't provide a "source of power." It provides, well...water.

    The train's source of power is biodiesel, which is burned in the firebox of the locomotive, and which then turns the water in the boiler to steam--which is consumed at the rate of about 140 gallons per hour.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 01-04-2010 at 09:21 AM.

  10. #10

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Little-Known and Well-Known Facts about Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by Kablary View Post
    ~The park was due to have a "Land of Oz," but it never made it into construction.
    I have never seen this mentioned in any history of the Park I've ever read; nor does it appear on any concept drawings of the park I've seen.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 01-04-2010 at 09:22 AM.

  11. #11

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,345

    Re: Little-Known and Well-Known Facts about Disneyland

    Just a typo. Where you have,

    "The rats among Disneyland are kept left alone because they keep the rodent population in check."

    that should be:

    "The cats among Disneyland are kept left alone because they keep the rodent population in check."

  12. #12

    • Yes, that is my real name
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Far Northern, California, United States
    Posts
    2,323
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Little-Known and Well-Known Facts about Disneyland

    It's only a hoop and key, it's not a half court.
    Yaye!

  13. #13

    • Yes, that is my real name
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Far Northern, California, United States
    Posts
    2,323
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Little-Known and Well-Known Facts about Disneyland

    The basketball hoop was put there for a source of entertainment for the CMs, not to meet any building codes.
    Yaye!

  14. #14

    • Knight that says Nee!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    2,647

    Re: Little-Known and Well-Known Facts about Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by luke7059 View Post
    Great facts, I'd never heard some of them before! Thanks for posting
    Please do not mistake these for "facts". I believe even the OP said these were rumors (actually "myth" was his term) about the park and its history. Many of the things on the list above are true TO SOME EXTENT, some are toally false, some I have never heard of after doing lots of research on DL's history and with out actual supporting evidence are just questionable rumors.

  15. #15

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Little-Known and Well-Known Facts about Disneyland

    Quote Originally Posted by Kablary View Post
    -- The coat of arms hanging over the castle entrance is actually the Disney family crest.
    Apparently another Disney Urban Myth.

    I'm guessing this one will be about as hard to erradicate as the "Spike in the Courtyard is DL's Center" has been:

    Crest as it appears at DL:


    Actual Disney family crest:



    This is how it appears in several websites that deal in crests--three fleur de lis spaced horizontally across the shield.

    Interestingly, the shield over the castle was not installed at the beginning. It was installed sometime in 1965, just a year before Walt's death:


Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Fun] Disneyland facts I never knew
    By PerformerInWaiting in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-10-2009, 12:47 AM
  2. [Fun] Disneyland Urban Legends and Myths
    By JennyandMickeyMous in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2009, 12:09 AM
  3. The Top Ten Most Obscure Facts about Disneyland
    By Aura of Foreboding in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 05-25-2006, 12:56 PM
  4. Disneyland fun facts and trivia
    By Disney Wrassler in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-30-2005, 11:01 PM
  5. 50 Little Known Facts About Disneyland (Satire)
    By Eisnerland in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-16-2005, 05:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •