Page 102 of 112 FirstFirst ... 252779299100101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1668

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Re: Mass Transit to Disneyland Resort

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Rome wasn't built in a day, my friend!
    I agree but I have a feeling that a lot of people thought they are going to get more than what they are going to get out of this deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

i just want more busses or a special train that runs from L.A. to Disneyland. And maybe more busses from the airport as well

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

This train will run from Anaheim to San Francisco.

You could depart early in the AM from S.F., spend a day in Anaheim, return at night.

Or do a day trip to San Francisco from Anaheim and be back in your hotel the same day or the next day.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    I agree but I have a feeling that a lot of people thought they are going to get more than what they are going to get out of this deal.
    Fair enough. I'm just happy that we're making PROGRESS. If this prop had been defeated it wouldn't even be in the realm of possibility.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

This is a little non partisan blurb about 1A's pros and cons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=88mupeh4mFA

But since it's passed at the ballot box, it looks like the YES side ultimately won.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Californians Say Yes to High-Speed Rail, but Long Waits Remain
    Californians Say Yes to High-Speed Rail, but Long Waits Remain - Popular Mechanics
    This 800-mile line will link Los Angeles, San Francisco and cities in between, but a lot remains up in the air. Ultimately, the California High-Speed Rail Authority says it plans to link all of California's major cities from Sacramento to San Diego, but that won't happen until at least 2030. California has ruled out trying to build a maglev, or magnetic levitation, railway for this project. Instead, the state hopes to emulate the bullet trains that link the major hubs of France, Spain and other nations. The California High-Speed Rail Authority said its new trains would be able to reach 220 mph.

The narrow victory was a huge one for those proponents who hope that trains can ease California's notorious traffic and smog problems. Critics of the plan says it is an overly ambitious gamble. If the railway were completed, it would be the best high-speed rail system in the country. Only Amtrak's Acela train currently makes high-speed runs in the United States, where road crossings and older, twisting tracks restrict its speed. If the California high-speed line is successful, it could pave the way for the proposed California-Nevada maglev, which would fly across the Southwest at an estimated 300 mph or faster.
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 11-08-2008 at 03:52 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

California-Nevada Maglev
    Top Speed /// 311 mph | Distance /// 268 miles
    Top 5 Fastest Trains - Future China and US Crazy Trains - Popular Mechanics
    Many proponents of maglev technology think that the best chance of constructing a futuristic, 300-mph-plus train would be to build it mostly across flat desert land. The topography would make it relatively easy to construct and wouldn't require raised rails or expensive tunnels. It would also be easier to gain rights of way across the desert where there is likely to be little community protest. And there’s the tantalizing possibility of tapping into solar or wind farms for the system’s electrical needs, thus making it a zero-carbon-footprint mode of transportation. What better place to build such a train than between southern California and Nevada? The California-Nevada maglev proposal is supported by a long list of tech companies and others under the aegis of the American Magline Group. The last federal transportation bill earmarked $45 million to do a preliminary study and work on the project, including an environmental impact assessment in the desert.

The initial stage of the line, however, would run between two Los Angeles suburbs from Ontario, Calif., to Orange County for commuters. Eventually the line would continue, stretching all the way to Las Vegas. The consortium claims the system could be built within five years, but that assumes the federal money is there to support it. So far, the Federal Railway Administration has argued against the project, recommending instead that the money go to shoring up existing railways.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

8-11-08:
    San Francisco to Anaheim: California High Speed Rail Authority Interactive Map

2 hrs 57 min station to station, $58 compared to $93/trip cost in a car.

San Jose to Anaheim
    2 hrs 40 min station to station, $54 compared to $83/trip cost in a car.
    Check out this site. Having lived in France where there are high speed trains, I can tell you.

Californians have no idea how much they're going to like these trains.
    Last edited by CaliforniaAdventurer; 11-08-2008 at 04:02 PM.

8-11-08:

Check out this site. Having lived in France where there are high speed trains, I can tell you.

Californians have no idea how much they're going to like these trains.
    I wonder if $58/$54 prices include cost of a taxi/gas from your home to the station and from the other station to your final destination.

Similarly, with the time. It takes me about 90 minutes to get from San Diego to downtown LA. I've often thought about taking the train, but when you figure in the 20 minutes to drive to a train station in SD and then 15 minutes to get to my destination from the train station in LA, I'd already be more than 1/3 of the way there.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

This train will go much faster than the Metrolink / Amtrak you're used to, making fewer stops and moving along it's way.

Although you'll have to go from San Diego to Ontario to LA, then change trains to get to Anaheim.

It's not a straight shot from SD to OC - at least not in the original phase I.

This train will go much faster than the Metrolink / Amtrak you're used to, making fewer stops and moving along it's way.

Although you'll have to go from San Diego to Ontario to LA, then change trains to get to Anaheim.

It's not a straight shot from SD to OC - at least not in the original phase I.
    Right, but my point is that since there's travel time to and from the train stations on either end, taking 30+ minutes, probably, the train trip itself, including a stop in Ontario, would have to be 60 minutes or less to make it faster and I don't see that happening.

Not to mention, San Diego has one of the steepest grades in the country (just a few miles north of me) where I would guess they would have to slow down quite a bit, plus tracks through a couple small coastal towns, where trains can't go barreling through at 100 mph.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I wonder if $58/$54 prices include cost of a taxi/gas from your home to the station and from the other station to your final destination.

Similarly, with the time. It takes me about 90 minutes to get from San Diego to downtown LA. I've often thought about taking the train, but when you figure in the 20 minutes to drive to a train station in SD and then 15 minutes to get to my destination from the train station in LA, I'd already be more than 1/3 of the way there.
    And note that with as few as two people in the car, it's cheaper by car than two people taking the train.

Not sure how much the State of California will be subsidizing those fares, either, as I'm failry sure France and other European countries do.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Does anyone know where they have proposed placing the Anaheim station for the High Speed Train? I haven't seen anything official. The official website mentions something about an ARTIC station in Anaheim with a quick computerized video of the station California High Speed Rail Authority Image Gallery . I don't live in Anaheim, so I can't figure the location out from the surrounding landmarks.

I hope the station is either on or next to the DLR. Logically this makes sense too, since the majority of people coming to Anaheim are there for either Disneyland or the Convention Center. I would think Disney would be lobbying pretty hard for it also since it could provide the DLR with an avenue of enormous growth.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
    Does anyone know where they have proposed placing the Anaheim station for the High Speed Train? I haven't seen anything official. The official website mentions something about an ARTIC station in Anaheim with a quick computerized video of the station California High Speed Rail Authority Image Gallery . I don't live in Anaheim, so I can't figure the location out from the surrounding landmarks.

I hope the station is either on or next to the DLR. Logically this makes sense too, since the majority of people coming to Anaheim are there for either Disneyland or the Convention Center. I would think Disney would be lobbying pretty hard for it also since it could provide the DLR with an avenue of enormous growth.
    ARTIC is near the current AMTRAK and Metrolink Station, near the LA Angels Stadium of Anaheim. Some fancy way of getting to DL would be nice, peoplemovers or something. But do recognize that since only DL would profit from some exclusive service, there will be a lot of opposition to its existence by competing businesses (parks, hotels, restaurants).

Exact location, I think, is east of Orange Freeway (The 57) and south of Katella on the current tracks. you can google-map it. Current Metrolink/AMTRAK station is directly north of Angels Stadium, and ARTIC will be Northeast of the Stadium.

My "easiest" route via monorail or peoplemover or driverless tram (like those in airports these days) is to go northwest along the tracks, then west aligned with Disney Way, circling DCA and its expansion along Katella, then north on Disneyland Drive to the current monorail station in DTD.

EDIT: Page 13 of this monstrous pdf has a map of where ARTIC will be in the "Platinum Triangle."
    DLr is west of the freeway along Katella.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

CA's post #574 states the same thing as I do, with a map and everything.

You know, you are required to read every single post in a thread before posting, right?????