Page 4 of 112 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Mass Transit to Disneyland Resort

As the article says...

Critics of mass-transit rail systems say that in Southern California, where communities and job centers are spread out and people depend on their cars, it makes more sense to widen roads and to invest in rapid bus lines.

"Agran's approach is a 'Field of Dreams' approach," Kleinpeter said. "Build it and they will come."

Irvine's project must still win approval from the Orange County Transportation Authority. Anaheim Mayor Curt Pringle, an OCTA board member, said he welcomed Irvine's plans.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    As the article says...

Critics of mass-transit rail systems say that in Southern California, where communities and job centers are spread out and people depend on their cars, it makes more sense to widen roads and to invest in rapid bus lines.

"Agran's approach is a 'Field of Dreams' approach," Kleinpeter said. "Build it and they will come."
    Metrolink demonstrates on a daily basis how well mass transit for commuters in southern California works.

The rail service is almost ideal, especially if one has an employer or university with connecting transit.

• Banned User

Remember, there is the Disneyland Express, a pay for direct bus service to the Disneyland Hotel from LAX and SNA.

http://www.airportbus.com/

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Metrolink demonstrates on a daily basis how well mass transit for commuters in southern California works.

The rail service is almost ideal, especially if one has an employer or university with connecting transit.
    Tokyo Hong Kong and Paris all have direct rail connections to the rest of the surrounding area.

WDW needs a rail line to the airport and DL needs one from Union Station and LAX. I think it will happen eventually.

Tokyo Hong Kong and Paris all have direct rail connections to the rest of the surrounding area.

WDW needs a rail line to the airport and DL needs one from Union Station and LAX. I think it will happen eventually.
    There are some tracks that pass very close to Disneyland on the other side of the freeway, so it might be possible to build a closer station when, and if, the East parking terrace is constructed.

Metrolink also needs service between Union Station and the western part of the L.A. Basin.

• Rock Star Minion

Sure, because the state and local governments believe that one theme park company should get this benefit while the others don't. That's what's going on in Florida right now.

Foreign governments apparently have way more power than ours.
    Case in point: Universal Studios wanted a Red Line station right in City Walk. Other theme parks cried favoritism, so now it's at the bottom of the hill, and it requires a second mode of transportation to get from there to Uni. Too many mode changes kind of defeats the purpose, which is what the other theme parks wanted and got.

Not saying it's right. It's just how it is.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

There should at least be some kind of cheap shuttle from let's say Hollywood to Disneyland. Unless I'm gonna live in a hotel all my life and take day-trip packages to D-land, I'm forced to drive (when I really don't want to) and that's no fun...

• Feel the breeze!

Quote Originally Posted by woxel1
    There should at least be some kind of cheap shuttle from let's say Hollywood to Disneyland. Unless I'm gonna live in a hotel all my life and take day-trip packages to D-land, I'm forced to drive (when I really don't want to) and that's no fun...
    www.metro.net

I know there is a bus from Downtown LA to Disneyland. The above sight can help you piece the trip together.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by woxel1
    I think there should be a non-stop monorail from, say, Thousand Oaks to Disneyland. That would benefit everybody who is me. How can everybody who is me not like this idea? Then, it's settled. Monorail from TO to DL.

Alright, enough of Fantasyland.

I recommend that you make friends with the staff of the various nice hotels in the Hollywood area, then get some info on chartered bus trips to DL. See if you can pass yourself off as a Japanese tourist.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyren
    www.metro.net

I know there is a bus from Downtown LA to Disneyland. The above sight can help you piece the trip together.
    And take Metro Red Line to Union Station. That's about 20 minutes from Hi/Ho station.

(edit) Actually, you'd get off at 7st Street to take a bus to Disneyland. It's not non-stop, though. More like about 40 stops. 40 miles, two hours. I think driving (carpool if necessary) would be quicker.
    Last edited by sediment; 02-14-2006 at 01:31 PM.

I've never taken the subway or the other light-rail transit.

Does anyone have any impressions about the Metro Red, Yellow, or Blue Lines?

Disney could operate shuttles that run from Disney Store malls to Disneyland. I would be inclined to take such transportation if it was made available.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    I've never taken the subway or the other light-rail transit.

Does anyone have any impressions about the Metro Red, Yellow, or Blue Lines?
    I've taken the Red line to Kings Hockey games from NoHo. It's more reliable than the 101 or any other alternative route during Rush hour. From 7th Street it's a few block walk to Staples. (I need the exercise.) I get to the NoHo station around 6PM, and we're having a beer by 7PM.
    I used to take the Red Line from 7th Street to Union Station and take Metrolink home. During rush hour the Red Line can be quite crowded. (It's also crowded right after the Kings games.)
    Also, there is lots of redevelopment (apartments, I think) going on at the North Hollywood station. I assume other redevelopments are happening near other stations along the line.
    It's a very slow process, getting a city to change where it lives and works. A few decades is my estimate. That's a lot of money up front to pay for holes in the ground (plus maintenance when it's open) in order to someday lighten traffic. People want that NOW, but at the same time, they don't want their property values to drop. The only way to lighten traffic is for people to leave, but that would bust the housing market badly.

• Basking in birthday love

I take public transit to the resort when I can't find a ride to work for an afternoon shift. I'm traveling from Claremont, mind, so this whole proposal is... less than fun, since there is absolutely nothing that goes through Brea Canyon. I take the San Bernardino Metrolink line into Union Station (or the Foothill Transit 480, if for some reason I can't take the train). From there, depending on when the trains are leaving, I take one of two paths: either the Surfliner Amtrak or the OC Metrolink line into Fullerton (I've done the Anaheim stop and had to take a cab for lack of anything else), then the OCTA 43 bus to Harbor Pointe. If the trains are leaving at silly times, I take the Red Line subway to 7th Street, then pick up the 460 Express bus at 7th and Flower, which also drops directly at Harbor Pointe. The whole business takes about three or four hours, depending on how long I have to wait for a connection. It's not really an unpleasant experience, for the most part, as the trains are clean and efficient, and OCTA is really a wonderful system. (I do regularly get harassed by bums looking for change at the 7th and Flower stop, but it's not a major thing.) It's just the fact that I can drive there in under an hour that makes the public transit sort of annoying.

I pray for the day they put a bus on the 57, but I don't see that happening any time soon. So I'm just working madly on getting a car.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

I take Amtrak to Fullerton or Anaheim, and a 25-minute bus ride gets me to Disney. I liked Fullerton better than Anaheim, as far as the station, plus I get on my bus a couple minutes earlier.

My big beef with public transport is that I have to leave the park by 5:15 or so. There's one later train but to get all the way out here means a bus from Union Station and that was awful. Tried that.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.