Page 1 of 112 1234112651101 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Mass Transit to Disneyland Resort

One thing that bothers me about the Disneyland Resort is that unlike Tokyo, Hong Kong and Paris resorts, there are no rail connections to the parks.

Walt Disney World may or may not get hooked up to some Orlando Airport to DisneyWorld line, but they have the Magical Express service for now.

However, if you want to go to Disneyland, you have to drive in California.

What if the MiceChat community got a petition or letter writing campaign going to encourage the City of Anaheim to pursue such a rail link to Los Angeles. They are currently trying to draw the NFL to Anaheim, if that happens and the 2016 Olympics are awarded to Los Angeles (the bid has to be turned in next year to the US Olympic Committee) there could be some real momentum to connect the Anaheim Stadiums and Parks to downtown Los Angeles via some sort of light rail line that could go down the 5 Fwy or parallel it.

Too bad there are not shuttles every 1/2 hour between Universal Studios and Disneyland, that would be great too. It's just such a shame that you have to drive through so much traffic to get there.

I thought there might be some others on here who might agree. We need the same rail links here that the intl. parks all have.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: Mass Transit to Disneyland Resort

There are buses that go to USH from DL. They make the rounds at the Hotels. I think that the Airport bus even makes that run from DL and/or John Wayne airport.

• :)

There are Busse's that go from John Wayne to the Hotels, as well as ones that go from LAX to the hotels too I believe...and there are alot of these :]

• Hedonist

Metrolink will take you to Angels Stadium, which is in proximety. You can also take an MTA bus from the Norwalk Terminus of the Green Line, which connects you (almost) to LAX and Universal

• Rock Star Minion

The parks blend in to their surroundings, and when in Rome, drive or die!!

This is a great idea -- 50 years ago. In case you haven't noticed, DL is now surrounded by about 50 miles of city in nearly every direction.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by General You
    Metrolink will take you to Angels Stadium, which is in proximety. You can also take an MTA bus from the Norwalk Terminus of the Green Line, which connects you (almost) to LAX and Universal
    The metrolink drops you off behind Angel Stadium (Edison Field) in the parking lot of Hooters...this is right off Katella...Still 'CLOSE' to the park...Unless you plan on walking 5 miles, I wouldnt suggest this... ps - there are no pay phones to get a taxi at this stop :X

• Hedonist

Quote Originally Posted by mulishaCM
    The metrolink drops you off behind Angel Stadium (Edison Field) in the parking lot of Hooters...this is right off Katella...Still 'CLOSE' to the park...Unless you plan on walking 5 miles, I wouldnt suggest this... ps - there are no pay phones to get a taxi at this stop :X
    Yeah but I believe there is an OCTD bus that stops there that also goes down Katella

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

The better option is getting off at the Fullerton stop, the Orange County Transit Authority Route 43 runs every 15 minutes, 7 days a week, and will take you from the Fullerton Station (and it is cheaper to get off at Fullerton than Anaheim if coming from Union Station or other Northern locations) to the DLR entrance for just $1.25 (free with a Metrolink ticket!)
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by General You
    Yeah but I believe there is an OCTD bus that stops there that also goes down Katella
    That's true :-D sorry, forgot about that... ps - i didnt mean to come off rude trying to prove u wrong :] thanks

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    One thing that bothers me about the Disneyland Resort is that unlike Tokyo, Hong Kong and Paris resorts, there are no rail connections to the parks.

Walt Disney World may or may not get hooked up to some Orlando Airport to DisneyWorld line, but they have the Magical Express service for now.

However, if you want to go to Disneyland, you have to drive in California.

What if the MiceChat community got a petition or letter writing campaign going to encourage the City of Anaheim to pursue such a rail link to Los Angeles. They are currently trying to draw the NFL to Anaheim, if that happens and the 2016 Olympics are awarded to Los Angeles (the bid has to be turned in next year to the US Olympic Committee) there could be some real momentum to connect the Anaheim Stadiums and Parks to downtown Los Angeles via some sort of light rail line that could go down the 5 Fwy or parallel it.

I thought there might be some others on here who might agree. We need the same rail links here that the intl. parks all have.
    HA!!!

I love your enthusiasm ......... and I'm so sad to admit (as an oc native and SoCal guy my whole life) that it is a total joke SoCal is so behind in mass transit!

Throughout the 60s, 70s .. and into the 80s .. there have been lots and lots of proposals.

Many different light rail .. peoplemover .. and monorail ideas over the years .. and they just keep being shot down .. over, and over .. and again .. and again. And here we are at the beginning of the 21st Century .. and .. DIDDLY! Yet .. other regions of the planet .. as you mention .. have had many mass transit options for DECADES.

I have to say the most notable plan that was pushed to a great degree was the Anaheim Transportation Center in the mid/late 80s. A "maglev" train to Las Vegas .. monorail to Disneyland .. among other transport nicities was all part of this massive transportation hub. It was more like a huge hall .. in the blue prints. More like the "Starfleet Academy" scenes from the first Star Trek film. Very ambitious. It would have gone where the CinemaDome theaters along the banks of the Santa Ana River.

So .. it's pretty amazing .. 3 decades of some intense mass transit planning .... and the freeways aren't getting any better .. except worse!

We can blame the automobile lobbyists back in the 40s and 50s .. who helped to dismantle the Red Car line .. in favor of freeways.

IF the Red Car line was left in place ... along WITH Freeways .. we would have had extended systems going in other places ... that would be a HELP!!

The Red Car was this:

And this was how extensive it was .. with lines running here into Orange County

Here it is on the left edge of the pic .. here on the Balboa peninsula .. here in Orange County

This system (which permantly closed in 1962) ... Had the right-of-way was left alone .. would be a help to the tremendous strain on freeways today.

And imagine several lines connecting the DLR resort in all directions of Orange County ... leading into LA as well.

Some right-of-ways are being reclaimed for mass transit systems for the future.

But unless the constant red-tape ends ... It will continue to be "A dream away".
    Last edited by Escapé; 10-21-2005 at 11:12 PM.

• Minion

I've seen pictures of extensions that ran to Seal Beach, Newport Beach, Tustin, Santa Ana ........ what a frikin shame the right-of-way was given up!! It only hurt us in the long run.

• Minion

The interior to these Red Cars of the early 20th Century were quite nice:

Not exactly .. The Future of mass transit ...... at least a restoration to a more elegant period in American history.

Metrolink to Anaheim Station is extremely convenient.

Metrolink provides small complimentary shuttles (operated by the O.C.T.A.) that provide express service to Disneyland, which is only about a mile away.

The shuttles wait for each arriving train at the curb of Anaheim Station.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 10-22-2005 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mulishaCM
    Are you sure that there are no pay phones because I used to take Metrolink to Anaheim Station on a daily basis and I remember a telephone being available in the waiting area immediately outside the station building?

I used that phone, one time, to call a taxi after I forgot to take my mobile telephone and the rail service was disrupted. Incidentally, Disney employees should really try to make use of Metrolink because The Company will provide expense accounts for taxis in case one needs them. The Commuter Assistance department at Disneyland is really well-run. Not only does Disney subsidize the rail fare by half, but The Company will provide an additional monetary incentive to not drive to work alone.

I have nothing but good things to say about taking the train to work. However, I do wish Metrolink would run more trains on some of its lines.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool red car pix.

I think the LA to Vegas high speed rail or Maglev is a real possibility if you look up California High Speed Rail Authority there is also a Sacramento-San Francisco-Los Angeles-San Diego line that would come through Anaheim.

Page 1 of 112 1234112651101 ... LastLast