Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Original Indiana Jones Adv. Voice Overs are back!

When the new animatronic was added to the Indiana Jones Adventure ride, I was surprised to see that in several pages of discussion no one mentioned that in addition to the new figure there was another positive change!

Years ago on many attractions various safety spiels were lengthened extensively by recording new voice overs from "Sound-a-like" actors to replace the original narrations. These changes are most apparent in the Haunted Mansion and the Indiana Jones Adventure where Paul Frees' (Ghost Host) and John Rhys-Davies' (Sallah) lines can be easily distinguished from the new attempts to emulate them. The damage cannot, in my opinion, be overstated. The Haunted Mansion narration is interrupted by the vocal mess only once while boarding the Doombuggy, but it seems that for whatever reason Imagineers decided to chop off the Madame Leota scene dialogue "...she has a remarkable head for materializing the disembodied." at around the same time the additions were made; I am not sure why.

While the Haunted Mansion changes are for the worst aesthetically, they at least kept Paul Frees' original narration for most of the ride. The Indiana Jones Adventure didn't fare quite so well! The entirety of John Rhys-Davies' recordings were completely redone by a new actor! The impression was poor, and left a sour feeling in my chest on every occasion I rode. Anyone with discriminating ears were able to distinguish the difference between the original and the cheap imitation. It was an insult to fans of Sallah (And Gimli from Lord of the Rings) to have his vocal divinity replaced! Only the real deal would work!

After lurking here for awhile, I was surprised, again, that no one brought it up. So I decided to announce it here, many months after the fix happened, that the Imagineers have completely returned to the original audio! I was in heaven!

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: Original Indiana Jones Adv. Voice Overs are back!

Quote Originally Posted by Telpeurion View Post
    When the new animatronic was added to the Indiana Jones Adventure ride, I was surprised to see that in several pages of discussion no one mentioned that in addition to the new figure there was another positive change!

Years ago on many attractions various safety spiels were lengthened extensively by recording new voice overs from "Sound-a-like" actors to replace the original narrations. These changes are most apparent in the Haunted Mansion and the Indiana Jones Adventure where Paul Frees' (Ghost Host) and John Rhys-Davies' (Sallah) lines can be easily distinguished from the new attempts to emulate them. The damage cannot, in my opinion, be overstated. The Haunted Mansion narration is interrupted by the vocal mess only once while boarding the Doombuggy, but it seems that for whatever reason Imagineers decided to chop off the Madame Leota scene dialogue "...she has a remarkable head for materializing the disembodied." at around the same time the additions were made; I am not sure why.

While the Haunted Mansion changes are for the worst aesthetically, they at least kept Paul Frees' original narration for most of the ride. The Indiana Jones Adventure didn't fare quite so well! The entirety of John Rhys-Davies' recordings were completely redone by a new actor! The impression was poor, and left a sour feeling in my chest on every occasion I rode. Anyone with discriminating ears were able to distinguish the difference between the original and the cheap imitation. It was an insult to fans of Sallah (And Gimli from Lord of the Rings) to have his vocal divinity replaced! Only the real deal would work!

After lurking here for awhile, I was surprised, again, that no one brought it up. So I decided to announce it here, many months after the fix happened, that the Imagineers have completely returned to the original audio! I was in heaven!
    Glad to hear the "voice" is back
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

I think one reason the narration on HM is cut in various areas is that the ride is moving so much faster than it did years ago, that there is no time for it. As it is, the audio almost is overlapped into other scenes which almost takes away from the whole ride. Not that the speed of the ride doesn't anymore. They just want guests on and off with the most amount of people per hour as possible. It is sad.

I haven't noticed that Sallah was changed. Interesting. Glad they brought it back.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    I think one reason the narration on HM is cut in various areas is that the ride is moving so much faster than it did years ago, that there is no time for it. As it is, the audio almost is overlapped into other scenes which almost takes away from the whole ride. Not that the speed of the ride doesn't anymore. They just want guests on and off with the most amount of people per hour as possible. It is sad.

I haven't noticed that Sallah was changed. Interesting. Glad they brought it back.
    I wish it'd go slower, I actually enjoyed waiting in the foyer for more than 2 seconds before being quickly hussled into the elevator and shoved onto the ride.

• =)

As I recall, the HM lines were removed because that's how the show originally was. Those lines were recorded with the others, but WED decided not to use them in the show in 1969. At a later point, they were reinstated, only to be removed again by Disney a few years ago. HBG2 or GRD999 can tell you more. (For what it's worth, I actually prefer to have those lines in the attraction.)

As for the Indy spiel, I can't really tell the difference. It's always sounded like John Rhys-Davies to me, and although I don't doubt that a very discriminating ear can perceive that it's not him, talk of sour feelings in your chest and insulting true fans of Sallah may be a little much.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    As I recall, the HM lines were removed because that's how the show originally was. Those lines were recorded with the others, but WED decided not to use them in the show in 1969. At a later point, they were reinstated, only to be removed again by Disney a few years ago. HBG2 or GRD999 can tell you more. (For what it's worth, I actually prefer to have those lines in the attraction.)

As for the Indy spiel, I can't really tell the difference. It's always sounded like John Rhys-Davies to me, and although I don't doubt that a very discriminating ear can perceive that it's not him, talk of sour feelings in your chest and insulting true fans of Sallah may be a little much.
    Being over dramatic is fun. =]

I also agree that the HM sounds better with the Ghost Host talking more often, it gives the "tour" concept a bit more weight. Not to mention that when he says "Unfortunately they all seem to be having trouble getting through" and then a minute later says "They are beginning to materialize!", without the Madame Leota explanation it just doesn't make sense.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I had to listen to HM record (that was released back in 69?) -- Once up the "stair case" it has the part about "...Hot and cold running chills..." but the part about "they all seem to have trouble getting through" not in it and the Ghost Host never mentions Leota.

As w/ Data
    I prefer the lines in the ride
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    I think one reason the narration on HM is cut in various areas is that the ride is moving so much faster than it did years ago, that there is no time for it.
    There have been no changes to the speed of the Mansion since it opened, other than the addition of "creep" mode for wheelchairs.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    There have been no changes to the speed of the Mansion since it opened, other than the addition of "creep" mode for wheelchairs.
    Really? Cause it seems to just move faster than I ever remembered. Especially during the holiday overlay.

• Mean Mermaid

I always figured it was the addition of the Spanish narration at the beginning of the ride that delayed the Ghost Host's lines throughout the majority of the first half of the Haunted Mansion, not the ride going quicker....

I never noticied Sallah's voice being changed, but I go on Indiana Jones so infrequently nothing short of putting flourescent pink bunny ears on Harrison Ford would catch my attention as being something "off".

Do you know what has really bothered me? I cringe everytime I go on Big Thunder Mountain now ever since they changed "the wildest ride in the wildnerness" into "the wildest ride in the WIiiIIiIIILLllLLLlLLDDDDdDeeErRRNEeeSSSSss!!!!1" (You're right, being over dramatic is fun Anybody know what's up with that? You can still hear the normal narration in the RDCT fireworks....

• Shifting cargo

His voice is one of the best parts of the ride and he's the only Indy actor to lend their voice to the ride. Darn you Harrison!

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Auroraflame View Post
    Do you know what has really bothered me? I cringe everytime I go on Big Thunder Mountain now ever since they changed "the wildest ride in the wildnerness" into "the wildest ride in the WIiiIIiIIILLllLLLlLLDDDDdDeeErRRNEeeSSSSss!!!!1" (You're right, being over dramatic is fun Anybody know what's up with that? You can still hear the normal narration in the RDCT fireworks....
    I believe that the spiel was re-recorded after the accident in September 2003. In RDCT they used the old one for the sake of well, keeping it real.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Telpeurion View Post

I can't speak for Haunted Mansion but the Indiana Jones Adventure RIDE audio has never been changed. John Rhys Davies was dubbed out of the spiel video by Corey Burton (who coincidentally also redubbed the Haunted Mansion Holiday) when they shortened the saftey spiel.

The RIDE remains to be John Rhys Davies.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• =)

Corey Burton did the Rhys-Davies soundalike spiel?! Wow, that guy is insanely talented at mimicking other voices. His Paul Frees impression is equally heartfelt and convincing.

As for the changed BTMRR spiel...I agree. Dallas McKennon's first performance was much better. Sometimes less is more. But at least I'll have that for all eternity as part of the RDCT soundtrack.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I can't speak for Haunted Mansion but the Indiana Jones Adventure RIDE audio has never been changed. John Rhys Davies was dubbed out of the spiel video by Corey Burton (who coincidentally also redubbed the Haunted Mansion Holiday) when they shortened the saftey spiel.

The RIDE remains to be John Rhys Davies.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtjjHmT4PBs]YouTube - Indiana Jones Model - GMOD Update[/ame]

Are you sure? The "breaks need adjustment" one I cannot tell. But you are right, the end of the ride radio in about your reward was never changed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast