Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Hollywoodland Armchair Imagineering E-Ticket Concept

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Why would Mr. Sin Eighma (not a fan of that name at all, BTW) be part of S.E.A. if he is a businessman? Just wondering?
    What kind of mother names their child Sin?

Talking Re: Hollywoodland Armchair Imagineering E-Ticket Concept

You have an interesting idea and I actually have been hoping for DCA to bring The Great Movie Ride to the Hollywood and Dine building for a few years.I like the idea of different sections of theatre seats dividing up and entering the screen going into the movies.This would be great for DCA to have their version with some different scenes than WDW and a longer ride here for us.Wizard of Oz,Titanic,Aliens,Gone with the Wind,Forrest Gump and other great classic films including Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars.Would be cool if somehow you could return to the theatre right where you were before seats broke off into vehicles.Having this ride with TOT,Hyperion Theatre,Monsters Inc,Playhouse Disney,Muppets 3D or Philarmagic,Animation Building,Lights,Camera,Action,or a HSM show at that stage(so it doesent have to travel around DCA all day,LOL)and a New Rock N Rollercoaster ride(featuring Red Hot Chilli Peppers) in the Millionare Building would make HPB a great and exciting land IMO.

He is an explorer. That is why he has hundreds of ARTIFACTS. This guy has a bunch of props. There is nothing adventurous about plastic replicas.
    When was it ever stated that he owned many props? You seem to be taking creative liberties with a fictional character of my creation. The owner of the theater (formerly known as Sin) was an intrepid explorer in his earlier life and as he got too old to pursue his earlier pastimes he decided to settle down and film movies that captured the spirit of his earlier years, is this more pleasing to you?

Sorry that came out a bit cruel, non intentional.
    Last edited by MistaDee; 01-13-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Apology

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    What kind of mother names their child Sin?
    Perhaps they were of hispanic origin and his middle name meant pain or evil?

(sin is spanish for without)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland4Eva View Post
    Having this ride with TOT,Hyperion Theatre,Monsters Inc,Playhouse Disney,Muppets 3D or Philarmagic,Animation Building,Lights,Camera,Action,or a HSM show at that stage(so it doesent have to travel around DCA all day,LOL)and a New Rock N Rollercoaster ride(featuring Red Hot Chilli Peppers) in the Millionare Building would make HPB a great and exciting land IMO.
    Talk about a hotmess. How do any of those fit thematically together?

The nice thing about this idea is that it captures the essence of Hollywoodland. Yours is a jumble of random stuff.

• Pongo is my hero.

The nice thing about this idea is that it captures the essence of Hollywoodland. Yours is a jumble of random stuff.

It would take a lot of work to fix Hollywoodland. Or they could take the easy way and not let it be set in the past. I know it's hard to do withn the trolley and new BVS, but it would be the lazy thing to do.

one hundred and one

• Minion

This is a very interesting idea, especially the "being on the other side of the screen" bit.

Might I suggest a name change to Sid Eighma. Kind of obscures the "cinema" pun a bit, but Sid is a more familiar name, and it could be a reference to Sid Grauman of Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

How about Cameron Era (Cam Era for short.) Or Phil M. Buff. Or it could be a female eccentric explorer named Annie May Tedd.

OT - I created a beaver character (the brother of the one in the pic in my sig) with a pun name - Lee Vitoux. (Lee Vitoux, beaver = "Leave it to Beaver". Har har har.) I totally made up the name, but it turns out not only is Vitoux a real surname, according to one website I read, the most common first name that goes with it is Lee.
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 01-13-2010 at 05:01 PM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland4Eva View Post
    You have an interesting idea and I actually have been hoping for DCA to bring The Great Movie Ride to the Hollywood and Dine building for a few years.I like the idea of different sections of theatre seats dividing up and entering the screen going into the movies.This would be great for DCA to have their version with some different scenes than WDW and a longer ride here for us.Wizard of Oz,Titanic,Aliens,Gone with the Wind,Forrest Gump and other great classic films including Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars.
    I'm going to have to disagree with this pretty strenuously... I think it's imperative for the theme of the proposed attraction as well as the (much-needed!) re-theme to Hollywoodland that the movies be strictly what would be popular in the 1930s-40s. Taking a bunch of modern movies would totally destroy the individuality of what Hollywoodland should become (instead of an abbreviated copy of DHS) and would lose the swank jazzy feel of the attraction and restaurant as a period piece.

• Armchair Imagineer

MistaDee, I hope you don't mind but I thought I'd brainstorm a few movie scenes that would be the type of movies made at this time--I think you mentioned 16 total, of which a given ride would travel through 8? Each genre would need a defining scene to use that's fairly high energy so there's an element of danger and/or thrill as you go zooming through it. So, in no particular order:

1) Western (Stagecoach robbery)
    2) Busby Berkeley musical (lots of high-enery dancing & fab costumes!)
    3) Mythical epic (e.g. Ben Hur, Moses)
    4) Civil War epic (e.g. Gone With The Wind, battle scene)
    5) Spy drama (w/ obligatory femme fatale)
    6) Speakeasy (lots of dancing & merriment)
    7) Gangster shootout
    8) High Seas (e.g. Mutiny on the Bounty)
    9) Swashbuckler (Errol Flynn, Douglas Fairbanks)
    10) Latin American (Lupe Velez or Carmen Miranda variety)
    11) Exotica (e.g. Algiers, To Have & Have Not, Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia)
    12) WWI drama
    13) Vampire/Zombie (Bela Lugosi)
    14) Slapstick (Laurel & Hardy, 3 stooges)
    15) Melodrama (the old girl tied to traintracks cliche)
    16) Southern (Showboat, chorus girls, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    MistaDee, I hope you don't mind but I thought I'd brainstorm a few movie scenes that would be the type of movies made at this time--I think you mentioned 16 total, of which a given ride would travel through 8? Each genre would need a defining scene to use that's fairly high energy so there's an element of danger and/or thrill as you go zooming through it. So, in no particular order:

1) Western (Stagecoach robbery)
    2) Busby Berkeley musical (lots of high-enery dancing & fab costumes!)
    3) Mythical epic (e.g. Ben Hur, Moses)
    4) Civil War epic (e.g. Gone With The Wind, battle scene)
    5) Spy drama (w/ obligatory femme fatale)
    6) Speakeasy (lots of dancing & merriment)
    7) Gangster shootout
    8) High Seas (e.g. Mutiny on the Bounty)
    9) Swashbuckler (Errol Flynn, Douglas Fairbanks)
    10) Latin American (Lupe Velez or Carmen Miranda variety)
    11) Exotica (e.g. Algiers, To Have & Have Not, Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia)
    12) WWI drama
    13) Vampire/Zombie (Bela Lugosi)
    14) Slapstick (Laurel & Hardy, 3 stooges)
    15) Melodrama (the old girl tied to traintracks cliche)
    16) Southern (Showboat, chorus girls, etc.)
    Great minds think alike! I actually wrote up a list of possible themes for some scenes and we share 12 of those! Others i thought of were (fudging the timeline a little bit) would be a buck rodgers kind of science fiction. And also maybe a scene from fantasia?

I really like the majority of your ideas but (sorry if this is overly critical) some of them seem a teensy bit slow for the feel of the ride. 2 6 10 15 and 16 I think would be similar to the scenes that made GMR a little bit dull and wouldn't work as in this ride we would be traveling in the scene among the characters rather than passing by them passively.

Other than that great great ideas!

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    Great minds think alike! I actually wrote up a list of possible themes for some scenes and we share 12 of those! Others i thought of were (fudging the timeline a little bit) would be a buck rodgers kind of science fiction. And also maybe a scene from fantasia?

I really like the majority of your ideas but (sorry if this is overly critical) some of them seem a teensy bit slow for the feel of the ride. 2 6 10 15 and 16 I think would be similar to the scenes that made GMR a little bit dull and wouldn't work as in this ride we would be traveling in the scene among the characters rather than passing by them passively.

Other than that great great ideas!
    I'd love to see your list of themes!

Don't worry, you're not overly critical at all! I love to swap ideas .

I have to confess I've only seen pictures of GMR, so I can't compare it completely, but from what I've seen the layout does seem static...

I think it's a matter of choosing the right scene from the genre to show it at its most upbeat, and then there would be considerations of how the figures are placed in the room so you're weaving in & around the action, not passing by a tableau. Careful use of fog machines could prevent you from seeing ahead of time which parts of the floorplan were blocked off for the AA's and which were accessible to the ride vehicle, so you'd be constantly surprised where you were going and it would make you seem much nearer the action.

So, for the Busby Berkeley one, you'd need a fast-paced swing tune, and the way the AA's were set up would have to imitate the kaleidoscopic effects of the dancers and the thrill would be how the ride vehicle would be immersed into the geometry of the choreography and seeing different angles very quickly so you'd be swirling right along with them.

Something like this, and then your ride vehicle would be going through a formation of dancers:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTgGCBeLZGg&feature=related"]Lullaby of Broadway[/ame]
    (Except the choreography would have to be done so the AA's could give the illusion of dancing, of course!)

It would also be way cool (and *very* Busby Berkeley) to have some chorus girls on giant chandeliers (Ol' Busby loved his moving sets!) so most of the floor would be open for the vehicle, but you'd have a lot of set to interact with in a dynamic way. The Busby Berkeley scene, done right, would require a *lot* of AA's and be insanely expensive, but let's overlook that for now, shall we?

Same basic principle for the others, but I'll elaborate a little on what I have in mind: For the speakeasy, you'd probably be zooming through the tables, while drunken patrons were arguing/carousing/dancing all around you, so there would be lots of action on all sides, and plenty of Charleston!

The Latin American scene would be a big fiesta scene.

For the melodrama, you'd need a train zooming towards the ride vehicle (think Mr. Toad on steroids!), the hero dashing in on horseback, etc.

The showboat would be kind of like the speakeasy, just ~50 years earlier costume-wise and more focus on the showgirls.

Anyway, I hope I've gotten the idea across...really hard to do in words, you know!! But basically, there would be a lot of action and you'd be moving through it, not past it. I'd recommend some of these scenes where the action is dancing and/or partying so you have some changes in tone from gunplay and violence, otherwise I feel like it would all run together.

And consider the length of a fast-paced E-ticket: Screamin' is 2:36 minutes, Indiana Jones is 3:25, Space Mountain is 2:45. So, you're looking at 15-30 seconds in each scene if you want to do 8 per ride, which will make the pacing very fast.
    Last edited by AGD; 01-13-2010 at 08:46 PM.

• Armchair Imagineer

Just saw a YouTube vid of GMR and saw the Busby Berkeley scene and....uh, yeah...um...that was NOT what I had in mind!! Now I can see how you thought it would be dull

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    I think it's a matter of choosing the right scene from the genre to show it at its most upbeat, and then there would be considerations of how the figures are placed in the room so you're weaving in & around the action, not passing by a tableau. Careful use of fog machines could prevent you from seeing ahead of time which parts of the floorplan were blocked off for the AA's and which were accessible to the ride vehicle, so you'd be constantly surprised where you were.
    And consider the length of a fast-paced E-ticket: Screamin' is 2:36 minutes, Indiana Jones is 3:25, Space Mountain is 2:45. So, you're looking at 15-30 seconds in each scene if you want to do 8 per ride, which will make the pacing very fast.
    Bravo! After your description I think that these are a perfect fit! That kind of hectic pace would really lend itself to the ride system but I do have to question the feasability of aaaaaall the musical scenes.

Regardless of how different they are I think compared to the other scenes very similar and would lack appeal for the majority of the
    guests. Maybe you could narrow it down to one of the musical scenes you think would be best for the ride.

Regarding the ride time the modern e tickets you metioned are more thrill oriented and I was looking for a ride that moved faster than pirates or mansion but ultimately spends the same amount of time in each vignette as the vehicle circles back and pauses in each scene.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    Bravo! After your description I think that these are a perfect fit! That kind of hectic pace would really lend itself to the ride system but I do have to question the feasability of aaaaaall the musical scenes.

Regardless of how different they are I think compared to the other scenes very similar and would lack appeal for the majority of the
    guests. Maybe you could narrow it down to one of the musical scenes you think would be best for the ride.

Regarding the ride time the modern e tickets you metioned are more thrill oriented and I was looking for a ride that moved faster than pirates or mansion but ultimately spends the same amount of time in each vignette as the vehicle circles back and pauses in each scene.
    I think it would depend on the geometry of how the rooms would actually be laid out spatially (which I'll bet would be insanely complicated, so I'm not going to even try to imagine it in any detail!), but I'm imagining they could be set up so that on a given ride you wouldn't visit more than one or two musical scenes...

But anyway, those were just the first 16 I could think of, and I'd love to see your ideas too and the other posters' and we could all ponder which the best ones would be.

I might be envisioning the ride slightly faster than you are (I'm a bit of a roller coaster junkie!). I'm seeing something somewhere in between the speed of the Mr. Toad and the Matterhorn, but I totally agree that all scenes should be choreographed to take the same amount of time--this would make logistics much easier so the cars would be evenly distributed around the different scenes at all times, and the cars would be transitioning into & out of rooms at predictable patterns.

Thats why I was never hired to be a Disney imagineer.You know Alladins flying carpets were my idea,LOL.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast