Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Hollywoodland Armchair Imagineering E-Ticket Concept

Hahahahaha! thats great. How bout someone spills some water on the jeans and they begin to constrict until you have to escape.

^ And AGD yeah I've got finals this week too but once they're over I'll start getting those ideas down.

• Who are you again?

this seems like an awesome idea
    I may want to contribute since I like old movies

and Boygunasurf, funny idea
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

^ Alrighty then anyone who has an idea for how a scene should play out feel free to post!

• Mad for Disneyland

This is an amazing idea, and with the right effects it would be really cool. It reminds me kinda of Tokyo's Tower of Terror. If Disney made DCA more like TDS i would come to California alot more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    This is an amazing idea, and with the right effects it would be really cool. It reminds me kinda of Tokyo's Tower of Terror. If Disney made DCA more like TDS i would come to California alot more often.
    I think a lot of people would too and perhaps even more importantly it would convince some of the 14 million people going to disneyland to make the shorter voyage across the esplanade as well.

• Who are you again?

I was thinking at school today about this ride
    and one thing was bothering me: when the guest go into the movies, should the sets of the movies be in full color or black and white?
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

Quote Originally Posted by jesterjack View Post
    and one thing was bothering me: when the guest go into the movies, should the sets of the movies be in full color or black and white?
    Oooh very good point I think that maybe the first scene which would be the oldest and the one in the style of The Great Train Robbery and I think that that scene could be effective in black and white but the others would not. One additional scene that could be done in a black and white style would be the gangster scene. I don't think full black and white would be good but a color palatte of mostly dark greys and blues with maybe the mafia leader wearing a bright red tie to fit noir feel of that genre.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by jesterjack View Post
    By the 1930s-40s, a decent percentage of films were being made in color anyway, so at least some of the scenes should be in color...as for the others, having it in black and white would be a viable artistic choice, but I don't know if it's the best one. It might just look odd from an aesthetic point of view. If you're supposed to be "inside the movie" it might make more sense to have it in black & white, but if you're supposed to be transported "through the movie" to being really there, then it should be in color...

Frankly, for me it would come down to whether or not it would be jarring to be so near to audio animatronics that have grey faces...on the other hand, it might look really cool...can't quite visualize it.

A compromise would be, as MistaDee said, to have it be in color, but keep the costume & decor choices within a limited color palette, so you get the sense of the silver screen without being too artificial.

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    By the 1930s-40s, a decent percentage of films were being made in color anyway, so at least some of the scenes should be in color...as for the others, having it in black and white would be a viable artistic choice, but I don't know if it's the best one. It might just look odd from an aesthetic point of view. If you're supposed to be "inside the movie" it might make more sense to have it in black & white, but if you're supposed to be transported "through the movie" to being really there, then it should be in color...

Frankly, for me it would come down to whether or not it would be jarring to be so near to audio animatronics that have grey faces...on the other hand, it might look really cool...can't quite visualize it.

A compromise would be, as MistaDee said, to have it be in color, but keep the costume & decor choices within a limited color palette, so you get the sense of the silver screen without being too artificial.
    Yeah how do you think we could do the subtitles for the silent films?

And also I edited in a new idea for the area all around the Ride the little courtyard we have their today so be sure to check that out.
    Last edited by MistaDee; 01-22-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Sorry if the edit wasn't very clear I kind of made it up as I went along so feel free to ask questions.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    Yeah how do you think we could do the subtitles for the silent films?
    You'd have two options: 1) pick an action-packed part of the film that wouldn't have a lot of dialogue anyway, and use Wurlitzer organ music. 2) Periodically have the lights in that scene go suddenly dark and have hidden projection/video screens display a slide (with the decorative scrollwork frame and the whole bit) with the dialogue on it. Logistics may be tricky (especially how not to screw up the pace), but it has the potential to be a really cool effect...

In the same way as the black&white-or-color decision, you need to decide whether the magic camera takes you into the movie (the final product that was presented in theaters) or into a dimension where what is going on in the movies is "the real world." In the former, you'd have black & white scenes and you'd imitate movie effects for the viewer. In the latter, it would be color and more realistic.

The more I think about it, the more I lean to the movie-version, since that's how it is thematically grounded in Hollywood. It's more surreal that way, and as long as the set design was strong enough to make the central conceit clear to the average rider, it could be very cool.

• Armchair Imagineer

And also I edited in a new idea for the area all around the Ride the little courtyard we have their today so be sure to check that out.
    You might want to try to incorporate the Jazz club into the showbuilding of the attraction, maybe so that you can see the most themed part of the queue, in a Blue Bayou-type way.

Also, I think the shape of the showbuilding would depend on how you navigate from scene to scene...with the footprint you've set, I can't quite see how you can have the variety to go to a lot of different scenes.

I like Cam Era...much better name.

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    You might want to try to incorporate the Jazz club into the showbuilding of the attraction, maybe so that you can see the most themed part of the queue, in a Blue Bayou-type way.

Also, I think the shape of the showbuilding would depend on how you navigate from scene to scene...with the footprint you've set, I can't quite see how you can have the variety to go to a lot of different scenes.

I like Cam Era...much better name.
    First I did think about making the jazzclub in the queue but why would a jazzclub be in a movie theater lobby?

I'm sure you can find a reference of one

But for the average guest I'm not sure that it would really make sense for them.

And regarding the showbuilding I really didn't think about it I was focusing on the surrounding areas once we come up with our scenes we'll have a master showbuilding!

And what do you think of the NOS type alleys and streets?

• Addicted to Disney

I love this idea! It fits in perfectly with the new hollywoodland. Mistadee, you did a great job on coming up with the ideas. I hope this is actually built somehow.

• Armchair Imagineer

First I did think about making the jazzclub in the queue but why would a jazzclub be in a movie theater lobby?

I'm sure you can find a reference of one

But for the average guest I'm not sure that it would really make sense for them.

And regarding the showbuilding I really didn't think about it I was focusing on the surrounding areas once we come up with our scenes we'll have a master showbuilding!

And what do you think of the NOS type alleys and streets?
    True, then maybe it should be adjacent but not actually inside. It should however be visually & thematically tied into the ride, because that makes it much more special to the casual tourist (those in the elite club know it's special anyway!).

I definitely like having some small-scale intimate streets, but it would depend on the geometry of the ride to tell you where the streets could go. The NOS type streets would make for a much richer and more immersive experience.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast