Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Re: Hollywoodland Armchair Imagineering E-Ticket Concept

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    True, then maybe it should be adjacent but not actually inside. It should however be visually & thematically tied into the ride, because that makes it much more special to the casual tourist (those in the elite club know it's special anyway!).

I definitely like having some small-scale intimate streets, but it would depend on the geometry of the ride to tell you where the streets could go. The NOS type streets would make for a much richer and more immersive experience.
    Yeah this makes a lot more sense as he owns both of the establishments.
    Regarding how the show scenes would fit the building I think that the jazz club should go in Muppets and be attached to the show building the interactive warehouse could still be here just in a different spot. The entrance would then be moved to the center of the show building. Then the queue could be bumped out to be the actual theater facade. This lets the first theater scene be in the center of the show building and the scene directly following be directly in the center of the building allowing for multiple scenes to go to and increased randomness.

Heres a little map I came up with.

Scribble Maps - Draw on google maps with scribblings and more!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

EDIT: Nevermind. Checked the first post and answered my own question.

What do you guys think of the new map?

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    What do you guys think of the new map?
    Very promising.

I think I have an idea for the scene layout...I still need to draw a diagram and iron out a few wrinkles, might be a while...
    Last edited by AGD; 01-28-2010 at 08:32 PM.

• Pongo is my hero.

This map made me notice how crooked Grand Californian is... dang!

one hundred and one

I'd love to see a version of The Great Movie Ride. Perfect spot, perfect theme.

Tahuwai la a tahuwai wai la
    Ehu hene la a pili ko'o lua la
    Pututui lu a ite toe la
    Hanu lipo ita pa'alai

--- Hawai'ian War Chant

Very promising.

I think I have an idea for the scene layout...I still need to draw a diagram and iron out a few wrinkles, might be a while...
    Eh just post it as is we can do some ironing together.

That map coming any time soon? Just wondering I know you have your Medical Liscensing Exam which is far far less important

• Armchair Imagineer

Patience, grasshopper!!

Patience, grasshopper!!

......yes master sorry master

• Armchair Imagineer

Okay, sorry for the delay, but here is a proposal for the layout of the scenes in the showbuilding.

First, some technical details about the ride loading, and then I'll get to the diagrams.

The first thing I'd like to suggest is that you would really need two show theaters. That way, you can have one theater loading while you have the other one going through the intro sequence and launching the cars into the show scenes. I've roughly figured a 5-minute periodicity would be a safe estimate for how much time you'd need to load (with 1 minute of that being moving the seats into the theater).

I'd also suggest that each unit of theater seats be 4x4 people, like the Indiana Jones's EMVs...that way, you'll have 16 vehicles of 16 people loading every 5 minutes, for a Theoretical Hourly Ride Capacity of 3,072. (By comparison, Indiana Jones' THRC is 2,400; Pirates' is 3,400.)

You would probably need separate show theaters for the return scene...this would give you more freedom to specialize the effects in the beginning theater versus the end theater, and the start theaters can always be running the load & show sequences for maximum efficiency. If you time it juuuuuuust right, you could have both start theaters feed into the same end theater, but I worry that this would be just asking for trouble and delays if people don't exit as quickly enough or there are any resetting issues. To play it safe, I'd recommend 2 end theaters.

Once you've loaded the theater, the pre-show starts, which I'm estimating will take roughly 1:30 seconds. Now, you have 16 vehicles that need to be launched, and if each car spends 30 seconds in each scene, I would say you should space them 15 seconds apart. If you launch two cars at a time (one going into each of the two possible starting show scenes), then it would take 2 minutes to launch the whole theater full of vehicles.

During this time, you can have a variety of special effects take place in the theater (for instance, it can start out very realistic with Cam Era yelling at his assistant, and then their voices can get warped and fade out, and lots of spooky lighting effects), while the vehicles can scramble around (with 2 peeling off through the vortex every 15 seconds) in a choreographed way (Pooh's Hunny Hunt has some sequences that do this).

Once each vehicle has gone through the show scenes (at 8 scenes of 30 seconds each, 4 minutes), they will still be staggered by 2 minutes, so you would need another "vortex" sequence at the end. This would be a good place to have a lot of montages of films (like Professor Tango mentioned earlier) projected in very abstract and disorienting ways. Get your hands on some LSD and then hang out in the animation lobby and you'll get the general idea .

There would be some space between the show scenes and the end theaters where some of the vortexing will take place, and more can take place in the end theater. You can start to hear Cam and the assistant coming back into the scene as the cars come into the theater. The first car gets 2 minutes of vortexing here, while the last one (that did all its vortexing at the beginning) gets back into the theater just in time for Cam to "rescue" us. The cars in the middle will get a mix of each--I think this will increase re-rideability because it will be another degree of freedom of how your experience can change each time.

So, we get back safely, Cam says a few words (whatever is Hollywood's equivalent of "This was my first flight, and I'm still getting used to my programming!") for about 30 seconds. Since you'll be in the middle of the showbuilding (see diagram), there would be a grand staircase to the "balcony" where you exit (with an elevator for the disabled), and then there would be a gift shop on the second floor.

diagrams to follow...

• Armchair Imagineer

So, here is a diagram for how the show scenes could work out, with several paths the cars could take through the show scenes:

Notice each theater has two possible starting scenes, and from there each scene is quite interconnected for a wide variety of possible paths.

The show scenes wouldn't actually have to be regular hexagons, and can be of modified shape slightly depending on the available space and the needs of any given scene. As long as each scene connects to six others, it should be fine.

You can see there's already some distortion of the buildings at the bottom to accommodate the two exit theaters in the center. Similar changes could be made to the other rooms as needed.

These aren't all of them (but I got sick of diagramming!!), and these are only for theater 1, and theater 2 can do the mirror images of all these paths. So, we have at least 32 possible sequences of scenes for people to try. You'd probably have to run a computer model to see which ones would be safe to run at the same time, plus not all of them might have a good balance of scenes, but there would be LOTS of variety.

Within each show scene, there would be specified entrances & exits, and particular paths that the cars would be likely to take, like so:

Here is where the showbuilding would fit on DCA:

This doesn't include the restaurant, the queue (but you can see it would basically be on the left with an entrance where Muppets is), or the shops, but there's plenty of room for them. I don't think the show scenes would have a problem being under the height of the monorail, but it might be a little tricky to arrange the second-floor exit...hmmm....I guess if they both exited north of the track, and then the gift shop & stairs down were still on the north side it should be ok.

So, that's about it...thoughts?

• Golden Dreamer!

I like the plan to bring a great movie ride attraction to DCA as it fits the Hollywood theme. I also like the propse layout. I do have an idea for a scene but I may not say it.

• Addicted to Disney

I like your layout, but I don't think it necessarily has to be trackless.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyManiac View Post
    I like your layout, but I don't think it necessarily has to be trackless.
    I think it would...otherwise, the switches you would need to accommodate all the different entrances & exits to the scenes would be a nightmare! And, since different vehicles will be entering the scenes at different times and from different places, they would need the local positioning system that can monitor where they are and have vehicles adjust their route to avoid each other.

Also, the beginning and ending sequences involve swirling & weaving patterns of the vehicles, which requires trackless technology.

Another thing is that the vehicles don't all go through the same starting load point--when you load, the vehicles are stationary in sixteen different spots, all next to each other in formation (and then they break that formation when the ride starts), and I don't think you could have a track that would lead to so many different end points so close to each other.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast