Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

• Armchair Imagineer

Re: Hollywoodland Armchair Imagineering E-Ticket Concept

One little thing I forgot in my technical details post (could anything be missing from so long a post?! ), is that apart from capacity another reason you would want the vehicles to be 16-person rather than 4-person is aesthetics. The starting and ending theaters should be fairly grand, and a room scaled for 256 people will be a much more convincing theater than one for only 64.

• Golden Dreamer!

What about if during the middle of the ride you stopped to show a film. But instead a live actor came out and did a scene.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Voyage fan View Post
    What about if during the middle of the ride you stopped to show a film. But instead a live actor came out and did a scene.
    I think that would be insanely dangerous at the pace of this ride. Not to mention, it would slow things down a lot and would upset the illusion of traveling through the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    So, here is a diagram for how the show scenes could work out, with several paths the cars could take through the show scenes:

Notice each theater has two possible starting scenes, and from there each scene is quite interconnected for a wide variety of possible paths.

The show scenes wouldn't actually have to be regular hexagons, and can be of modified shape slightly depending on the available space and the needs of any given scene. As long as each scene connects to six others, it should be fine.

You can see there's already some distortion of the buildings at the bottom to accommodate the two exit theaters in the center. Similar changes could be made to the other rooms as needed.

These aren't all of them (but I got sick of diagramming!!), and these are only for theater 1, and theater 2 can do the mirror images of all these paths. So, we have at least 32 possible sequences of scenes for people to try. You'd probably have to run a computer model to see which ones would be safe to run at the same time, plus not all of them might have a good balance of scenes, but there would be LOTS of variety.

Within each show scene, there would be specified entrances & exits, and particular paths that the cars would be likely to take, like so:

Here is where the showbuilding would fit on DCA:

This doesn't include the restaurant, the queue (but you can see it would basically be on the left with an entrance where Muppets is), or the shops, but there's plenty of room for them. I don't think the show scenes would have a problem being under the height of the monorail, but it might be a little tricky to arrange the second-floor exit...hmmm.…...I guess if they both exited north of the track, and then the gift shop & stairs down were still on the north side it should be ok.

So, that's about it...thoughts?
    I love it! Perfect perfect and that seemed like some hard work!

(I'm not sure how to take that into the OP but I'll try.

And maybe the whole hexagonal triangle could warp and shift a little so that one vertex was contained in Muppets and the other two and the majority of the others would go into monsters with the new entrance at the corner of Muppets and Millionare.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyManiac View Post
    I like your layout, but I don't think it necessarily has to be trackless.
    Of course not why use a new unique ride system that enhances guest experience and allows for new effects and storytelling...stupid idea
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    I love it! Perfect perfect and that seemed like some hard work!

(I'm not sure how to take that into the OP but I'll try.

And maybe the whole hexagonal triangle could warp and shift a little so that one vertex was contained in Muppets and the other two and the majority of the others would go into monsters with the new entrance at the corner of Muppets and Millionare.
    Thanks!

You can either add a link to my post in the OP, or you can use the link for the image in my photo album.

The current layout seems to be the best use of space for the geometrically-idealized version, and preserves the backstage area (since I don't know what backstage needs, I try to tamper with it as little as possible!). If the structure were modified to accommodate specific scenes the overall shape might change somewhat and then it might fit better somewhere else. (and it's only a very rough estimation of scale at the moment anyway!).

Another big thing is that since that layout doesn't include the queue at all, you can wrap it around so the entrance to the building doesn't necessarily have to be pointing the same way as the two loading theaters. It could, for instance, be right in front of the current Muppets entrance without changing the orientation of the show scenes. In that case I'd imagine that the restaurant would go where Muppets is.

• Golden Dreamer!

I think that would be insanely dangerous at the pace of this ride. Not to mention, it would slow things down a lot and would upset the illusion of traveling through the scenes.
    I liked this scene and added effect in the GMR in WDW.

Thanks!

The current layout seems to be the best use of space for the geometrically-idealized version, and preserves the backstage area (since I don't know what backstage needs, I try to tamper with it as little as possible!). If the structure were modified to accommodate specific scenes the overall shape might change somewhat and then it might fit better somewhere else. (and it's only a very rough estimation of scale at the moment anyway!).

Yeah I was figuring with warping certain scenes it could fit within muppets and millionare and monsters for the most part without getting into the backstage at all.

Scribble Maps - Draw on google maps with scribblings and more!

Another big thing is that since that layout doesn't include the queue at all, you can wrap it around so the entrance to the building doesn't necessarily have to be pointing the same way as the two loading theaters. It could, for instance, be right in front of the current Muppets entrance without changing the orientation of the show scenes. In that case I'd imagine that the restaurant would go where Muppets is.
    Yes yes that would work quite beautifully.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

As I was in the parks Friday and Saturday I took special care to examine the courtyard of question and let me first say it is HUGE! We can really let our imaginations run with this one.

Just imagining the area with 30's theming and immersive streets was impressive and a people eating E - ticket would really fit well there and once Radiator springs racers is in there will be a family, large capacity ride at the four corners of the park if this were built *sigh* (I know I'm stretching it with Toy story Midway Mania, but hey what can ya do)

That would help the flow of the park a lot and make for a better guest experience.

Also for the noir part of the alleyways I had the idea of actually having them slowly transition into a showbuilding so it is perpetually night which really lends itself well to the genre. To achieve this the rooftops would slowly have larger lips and clotheslines draped in between buildings until the light is completely obscured and then you could look up and see the stars. The rooftop jazz club would be under this same showbuilding. (Either Muppets or Hollywood and Vine yet to be determined.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

• Armchair Imagineer

Also for the noir part of the alleyways I had the idea of actually having them slowly transition into a showbuilding so it is perpetually night which really lends itself well to the genre. To achieve this the rooftops would slowly have larger lips and clotheslines draped in between buildings until the light is completely obscured and then you could look up and see the stars. The rooftop jazz club would be under this same showbuilding. (Either Muppets or Hollywood and Vine yet to be determined.
    I kinda see this gritty look working better for Peoplemover Pritt's entrance (the gangster one, especially). Since a movie theater would be pretty grand, I don't think clotheslines work. But, a formal entrance to a courtyard (that is actually indoors with a starry ceiling) could be quite effective. Basically the archways would be large enough to hide the ceiling from view when you're outside. One side of the courtyard could be the theater, and the other, the restaurant...

• Golden Dreamer!

I do love the idea for the concept and I can see my idea for it falied. Which is why I say combine them and give us a new GMR with a different quene.

I kinda see this gritty look working better for Peoplemover Pritt's entrance (the gangster one, especially). Since a movie theater would be pretty grand, I don't think clotheslines work. But, a formal entrance to a courtyard (that is actually indoors with a starry ceiling) could be quite effective. Basically the archways would be large enough to hide the ceiling from view when you're outside. One side of the courtyard could be the theater, and the other, the restaurant...[/QUOTE]

So we could have the regal part of hollywoodland the main avenue the courtyard and then the noir part Tot and the outdoor queue for Hyperion being the entrance for the Gangster Chase.

Heres the map I drew it makes no sense and it doesn't reflect my real concept but it was laying around and kind of shows what I'm talking about.

Scribble Maps - Draw on google maps with scribblings and more!
    Armchair Imagineering!:

And regarding thrc I would like to keep it two by two And the theater sixty four for that intimate "private premier" feel though I can see where u are coming from. To solve this I propose four load theaters.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

• Armchair Imagineer

And regarding thrc I would like to keep it two by two And the theater sixty four for that intimate "private premier" feel though I can see where u are coming from. To solve this I propose four load theaters.
    But, eight by eight people is *really* small... I can't see a successful businessman building something that small in downtown Hollywood. Movie palaces of the day were *palaces* and I just don't think you can give that impression on so small a scale.

A 256-person theater is still pretty intimate. By comparison, the Magic Eye theater in Tomorrowland seats about 600, MuppetVision 3D is 574.

Another little wrinkle is that with a theater scaled to 256 seats, the extra room you would need to break formation and zoom around each other can fit more easily into the general grandeur (aisles between seats, outer walkways, etc.). With only 64 seats, the necessary moving-around space will be more obvious and you'll have a little block of seats with a lot of empty space.

Doubling the load theaters would only get you half the way to your THRC...since you've only got 1/4 the capacity for each one. Also, you'd have a lot of headaches about coordinating the load & launches of the different theaters.

• Golden Dreamer!

Alright then. But why not do a tram system similar to GMR for the load? Those trams can get 70 people per tram on. Now that would help cut the line down and help load faster.

But, eight by eight people is *really* small... I can't see a successful businessman building something that small in downtown Hollywood. Movie palaces of the day were *palaces* and I just don't think you can give that impression on so small a scale.

A 256-person theater is still pretty intimate. By comparison, the Magic Eye theater in Tomorrowland seats about 600, MuppetVision 3D is 574.

Another little wrinkle is that with a theater scaled to 256 seats, the extra room you would need to break formation and zoom around each other can fit more easily into the general grandeur (aisles between seats, outer walkways, etc.). With only 64 seats, the necessary moving-around space will be more obvious and you'll have a little block of seats with a lot of empty space.

Doubling the load theaters would only get you half the way to your THRC...since you've only got 1/4 the capacity for each one. Also, you'd have a lot of headaches about coordinating the load & launches of the different theaters.
    Yes I see now you are right but I would like to keep the numbers down per vehicle so maybe we could settle for a six by six or twice as many four by fours.

With an eight by eight only the people on the edges feel threatened and are pulled in.

With the ideal four by four everyone feels threatened. No one is isolated from the action.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast