Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

• Armchair Imagineer

Re: Hollywoodland Armchair Imagineering E-Ticket Concept

Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Voyage fan View Post
    Alright then. But why not do a tram system similar to GMR for the load? Those trams can get 70 people per tram on. Now that would help cut the line down and help load faster.
    You'd totally lose the effect of being in a realistic theater that goes mad. If the seats are on a moving tram you've totally ruined the illusion at the start.

Also, a 70-person tram would be way too big for making the ride vehicles nimble and to give the illusion of proximity to the AAs.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    Yes I see now you are right but I would like to keep the numbers down per vehicle so maybe we could settle for a six by six or twice as many four by fours.

With an eight by eight only the people on the edges feel threatened and are pulled in.

With the ideal four by four everyone feels threatened. No one is isolated from the action.
    I'm confused...

The eight by eight I referred to would be the entire theater if you had 16 vehicles that sat 4 people each. i.e., too small to be convincing.

Four by four per car (like IJA) is what I'm recommending, and I agree that's the best mix of high capacity and keeping everyone close to the action.

When the theater is in formation at the beginning and the end, there would be four vehicles wide by four vehicles deep, like so:

XXXX | XXXX | XXXX | XXXX
    --------------------------------

The X's are seats and the dashes indicate the different ride vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    I'm confused...

The eight by eight I referred to would be the entire theater if you had 16 vehicles that sat 4 people each. i.e., too small to be convincing.

Four by four per car (like IJA) is what I'm recommending, and I agree that's the best mix of high capacity and keeping everyone close to the action.

When the theater is in formation at the beginning and the end, there would be four vehicles wide by four vehicles deep, like so:

XX | XX |
    XX | XX |
    ----------
    XX | XX |
    XX | XX |
    It appears you are right again I misunderstood you. What if we divided what you had in half again? And the attendent could bedressed as an usher and say seats S5 through T5 just like at a theater. That could be quite managable.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Armchair Imagineer

It appears you are right again I misunderstood you. What if we divided what you had in half again? And the attendent could bedressed as an usher and say seats S5 through T5 just like at a theater. That could be quite managable.
    Totally agree about the usher.

Don't know if you'd need to divide it in half [for reference, 3 vehicles by 3, instead of 4 by 4 (both at 16 seats each) would already nearly halve your THRC]. Also, there doesn't necessarily need to be a square number of vehicles: the theater could fit 3 x 4 vehicles, for instance...it would just depend on the space available, the loading efficiency, and the target capacity you're aiming for.

(In other words, it's a pretty technical detail that would get nailed down when you are actually finalizing the plans to build the thing!)

Totally agree about the usher.

Don't know if you'd need to divide it in half [for reference, 3 vehicles by 3, instead of 4 by 4 (both at 16 seats each) would already nearly halve your THRC]. Also, there doesn't necessarily need to be a square number of vehicles: the theater could fit 3 x 4 vehicles, for instance...it would just depend on the space available, the loading efficiency, and the target capacity you're aiming for.

(In other words, it's a pretty technical detail that would get nailed down when you are actually finalizing the plans to build the thing!)
    Sorry I wasn't clear I don't mean halve the theater I mean make the vehicles half as large with twice as many!
    Armchair Imagineering!:

• Armchair Imagineer

Sorry I wasn't clear I don't mean halve the theater I mean make the vehicles half as large with twice as many!
    Ah, the trouble here would be that you need to have enough time between cars for it to operate safely. With sixteen cars, launching two at a time (one in each start scene) every 15 seconds, you're still looking at 2 full minutes of launch time. That can be pretty well filled-out with special effects in either the beginning and/or end theater (depending on when you launch & return), but any more time than that might get tiresome.

• Hello

Cool Re: Hollywoodland Armchair Imagineering E-Ticket Concept

Very nice ideas. Oh, and feel free to use my ideas, I won't mind...

Ah, the trouble here would be that you need to have enough time between cars for it to operate safely. With sixteen cars, launching two at a time (one in each start scene) every 15 seconds, you're still looking at 2 full minutes of launch time. That can be pretty well filled-out with special effects in either the beginning and/or end theater (depending on when you launch & return), but any more time than that might get tiresome.
    For the launch maybe each 2 X 2 vehicle could be grouped into larger groups of 8 X 8 or 4 X 4. This would give another little thrill as the segments break down a little more as the next scene began.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

Quote Originally Posted by Peoplemover Priit View Post
    Very nice ideas. Oh, and feel free to use my ideas, I won't mind...
    A quick question since for this whole area we are creating a regal area where the Hyperion and GMR would be and a seedy underbelly side with noir alleyways under a showbuilding. Do you think it would work to have the police station entrance in the regal section and the gangster entrance in the noir section.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

• Hello

Cool Re: Hollywoodland Armchair Imagineering E-Ticket Concept

I guess it would work...But the Gangster entrance would have to wind quite a ways underground in order to load cars close enough to where the police cars are loaded. If it is too far, it would just be a long tunnel with no end...

• Armchair Imagineer

For the launch maybe each 2 X 2 vehicle could be grouped into larger groups of 8 X 8 or 4 X 4. This would give another little thrill as the segments break down a little more as the next scene began.
    Oh, I hadn't thought of that...yes, that could work, and be very unexpected and cool! I would recommend that they break up shortly before going into different show scenes (i.e. between show scenes 1 and 2), so that they would be spatially if not temporally separated.

Of course, they would all need to choose routes that would keep them apart (which could mean that they could both be in the same scene later, as long as they enter from different places and so won't get in each others' way).

This would make coordinating the routes insanely complicated, but you'd basically have to run a bunch of computer simulations to test out the different ride paths anyway, and I guess a sophisticated enough algorithm could take this into account as well.

I think a 4x4 formation that breaks into four 2x2 formations would be optimum--that way, you'd get the same launching timeline I described earlier, which would space out the cars on the track nicely. If you had 8x8 launch at once, you'd have lots of cars trying to be in the same scenes at the same time later on in the ride. And, immediately after breaking up, you'd have 16 minis to space out, rather than only 4, and with too many it would be congested.
    Last edited by AGD; 02-16-2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: smileypenia

Oh, I hadn't thought of that...yes, that could work, and be very unexpected and cool! I would recommend that they break up shortly before going into different show scenes (i.e. between show scenes 1 and 2), so that they would be spatially if not temporally separated.

Of course, they would all need to choose routes that would keep them apart (which could mean that they could both be in the same scene later, as long as they enter from different places and so won't get in each others' way).

This would make coordinating the routes insanely complicated, but you'd basically have to run a bunch of computer simulations to test out the different ride paths anyway, and I guess a sophisticated enough algorithm could take this into account as well.

I think a 4x4 formation that breaks into four 2x2 formations would be optimum--that way, you'd get the same launching timeline I described earlier, which would space out the cars on the track nicely. If you had 8x8 launch at once, you'd have lots of cars trying to be in the same scenes at the same time later on in the ride. And, immediately after breaking up, you'd have 16 minis to space out, rather than only 4, and with too many it would be congested.
    Thank god for computers!
    Last edited by MistaDee; 02-15-2010 at 08:01 PM.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

Well now that the track layout is pretty much wrapped up we should start fleshing out each of the scenes. Sound good?
    Armchair Imagineering!:

• Former DL & WDW CM

Really enjoying this thread! I like that this is similar to GMR, which would be a good fit in DCA in my opinion, anyway...I mean, it is Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by ojeilatan View Post
    Really enjoying this thread! I like that this is similar to GMR, which would be a good fit in DCA in my opinion, anyway...I mean, it is Hollywood.
    Thanks! feel free to join in with any ideas you have, I'm completely open to suggestion!
    Armchair Imagineering!:

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast