Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Hollywoodland Armchair Imagineering E-Ticket Concept

California Adventure desperately needs a new original e ticket that can hold the majority of peoples enjoyment in the spirit of pirates or more accurately mystic manor which is clearly my main inspiration. The following idea is a hodgepodge of Tower of Terror (Tokyo version), Mystic Manor, and the Great Movie Ride with a small sprinkling of original ideas.

The ride would take up the area of Muppets, monsters, millionaire, the the old Hollywood and Vine that whole unused back lot of nothing would have a show building integrated into it, the support buildings could stay and the show building would take up a good amount of the courtyard that Muppets faces sealing off the first left hand turn of Hollywood land, instead the ride exit would go here.

The ride would be a mixture of mystic manor and the great movie ride, bringing another animatronic centered dark ride to DCA. It would be on the same scale as mystic manor and many ideas are similar because that concept seems to have captured my imagination.

The backstory is that Mr. Cameron Era (Cam to his friends) a famous businessman has opened a new theatre in downtown Hollywood. For the opening a grand gala has been planned and you among other guests have been selected to experience this state of the art theater for yourselves! Now Mr. Cam Era is a member of the little-yet-well known Society of Explorers and Adventurers among Harrison Hightower and Henry Mystic, so this addition to the park would also include a jazzclub/adventurers club adjacent to it. (More on this later) Cam has brought along Thomas Edison’s first Kinetograph, the first motion picture camera, it is supposed to hold mysterious powers and Sin hopes that it will bring good luck to his new theater.

The entrance would be where Muppetvision is roughly pushed forward a bit. It would be a grand movie palace of old.
    In the queue the posters would all be video screens playing false previews for the movies we would experience in the ride. Our queue would wind through the lobby before reaching the premier theater. Also we would pass by artifacts taken by Cam in his travels for some interactive parts of the ride.

Inside the theater would be a plush movie palace of old. There would be 16 red velvet seats organized into sections of four two in front two in back. Each group would sit down in their own section. The curtains would then open and Mr. Cam Era would be standing with his magical camera and his assistant. He thanks us all for coming to his premier and tells us about the origin of his Kinetograph and the supposed mystical powers that he doesn’t truly believe in but figures he could use all the luck he could get.

Now they would begin the premier. This next part is sketchy and I would welcome any help on the details here. Regardless the kinetograph is activated and its mystical powers unleashed. Lasers emanate from the lens flying to the corners of the room things go black and at this point although we cant see it the pre-show stage slides away leaving the screen a swirling time-space-continum-warp pattern appears on the screen accompanied by more lasers and fog hopefully giving the effect that we were being swallowed hole by the kinetograph.

All the vehicles would begin creeping forward slowly until they reached the wormholeish thing at the lense of the kinetograph which has now grown large enough to engulf a vehicle and then some. The actual kinetograph wouldnt grow but the point the lasers are coming from would giving this impression.

Once at the entrance the first vehicle would whirl around whilst moving forward into the wormhole. There would be the fiber optic starlight effect used in TOT here. We would continue spinning amidst these stars and lasers and fog until plop we land in our first movie. I would like a small elevator or hill to be used here just so that the riders would get that small thrill in their stomachs to cement the feeling that we’ve “landed”.

And so on we would continue through the movies which would be done by genre. No specific films would be mentioned but there would be the usual: sci fi (buck rodgers type deal to fit the time period) western, gangster/sleuth, musical, epic (think ben hur), animated etc etc. There would be roughly 16 show scenes and the vehicle would randomly transverse 8 of them each time. Of the two loading theaters each one would experience a different beginning scene but might have common scenes in between. This would really ramp up the re-ride ability that APs love.

The end would be when Mr. Cam Era's assistant finally gets his act together and decides to play the kinetograph we were in. The last scene would be thus; we would enter a large room that looks like a theater minus the seats there our vehicles take the form we had in the beginning that of a theater. Through a huge mist screen we can see a theater that looks like a mirror image of the one we are sitting in without the people in the seats instead there were two men and a projector. The mist screen symbolizes the real screen in a movie theater which we are now on the other side of. We hear the assistant yell to Cam I see em! Cam says reel em in or some appropriate phrase and the assistant furiously begins cranking the handle as if it were a fishing rod, again our entire caravan begins to move forward passing through the mist screen until we face Cam and his assistant. There we have the post show disembark and the vehicles return to their previous positions.

Wherever theres room for it in one of the faux buildings on hollywood street a sit down jazz club would be constructed. This would really be like the Adventurers Club that used to be in Pleasure Island except 30 years later, the downstairs would be the main area for everyday guests and there would be many interactive props and maybe a small show or diorama but nothing exceedingly elaborate. There could be a stage for bands to perform occasionlly or at least a piano. On the top floor which would be a rooftop garden with a glass skylight looking down on the main floor. Up here is where the devoted fans would go (those of the kungaloosh variety) where they could get their adventurers fix. Up here would be a revamped stage show and many more intricate subtle props then downstairs. Also there would be a bar here wherein downstairs drinks would just be brought by waiters.

To toot my own horn I think that bringing the S.E.A. Over to CA would really unify the parks without cloning and hopefully create more parallels for DCA to TDS than its east coast sister.

Wow that was really long sorry! Anyway if you managed all the way through that congragulations for having an astute concentration. Any insight would be great (SIn Eighma? A new name would be great if anyone could figure one out, or anything that could work, I’m totally open) If there’s anything that needs clarifying just post and feel free to be critical (just not mean = )

Here's and idea for the surrounding area.

Scribble Maps - Draw on google maps with scribblings and more!

So basically the idea would be that the purple areas are small winding alleyways with small shops and courtyards to get lost in and lots of interactive goodies to experience.

The purple area near the middle would replace the outdoor stage and become the golden age of hollywood very regal and bright and clean. The path way that led from the main drag towards tower that is now covered in purple would be walled up and all the existing buildings in that central island would have real shops in them with entrances on both sides that let out inside the purple area.

The other purple area would be nearer the jazzclub and be similar to the other one near the outside facing the wide main street leading to GMR very regal but as one ventures farther into it the streets start to get narrower and darker until once you get all the way out of the existing park and into what used to be backstage the area is the seedy underbelly of hollwood ruled by gangs and the Mafia. There wouldn't be many actual shops here but little vignettes like the one thought of in the Dr. Facilliers thread only with Mafia this time. This would be one of the areas that only repeat visitors would come to and be a hidden gem for those adventourous guests.

I'd welcome ideas about any vignettes.

One of mine is that in the area closest to the jazz club (owned by Cameron Era) there would be a warehouse door attached to the existing building and once entered numerous interactive artifacts that would be a lot of fun to play around with. The warehouse door would be hanging ajar and say do not enter all over it which in Disney parks means please do the opposite of what this says. This would be another reference to S.E.A. obviously.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by MistaDee; 02-14-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Re: Hollywoodland Armchair Imagineering E-Ticket Concept

Hmm.. very interesting concept. I love the whole S.E.A. thing they have going, so that would be really cool to bring it into DCA. The concept is a bit similar to Mystic Manor, but I think with some radically different subject matter and technology it could differentiate itself. Really cool idea that could be applied in an awesome way.

• Choir nerd

This is a really great idea! I'm not sure how they're going to do the effect of the kinetiscope lense growing, but the rest seems pretty feasable. The only problem I have is that the real movies from the Great Movie Ride have been removed.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I do miss the Adventurers Club in Pleasure Island at WDW

Place need a up date or new year.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

Quote Originally Posted by Noski View Post
    The only problem I have is that the real movies from the Great Movie Ride have been removed.
    Yeah I debated about this but I think that the use of real movies ages the ride. If a GMR had been made at the time of pirates or mansion I doubt it would have been as classic as pirates or mansion. Also there aren't that many movies that lend themselves as well to each genre in the
    Disney vault and since this would be a veeeeeery expensive ride I doubt Disney would want to pay liscensing As well also these generic scenes that could be made up by the imagineers to increase variety and staging that wouldn't be possible with already scripted scenes. I really wanted this rides pacing to have more in common with mystic manor than gmr, only the idea of a ride about the movies Because gmr is boring pacingwise this ride is more about thrills and effects thAn seeig your favorite characters and scenes from a movie.

• Armchair Imagineer

As I first started reading I thought the Adventurers motif was needlessly shoehorned in, but then I remembered that exoticism and escapism were HUGE in early Hollywood, so I think it would work beautifully! On the pre-show you might want to play this up with movie reels/posters from some of those early escapist films. And since you do need an element of mysticism to draw in being transported to different movies, I think it's a cool motif to use. Also, this does a nice job with paralleling some of the same spookiness as ToT without stepping on its toes, either.

LOVE the potential for different ride experiences!

Well done!!

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    As I first started reading I thought the Adventurers motif was needlessly shoehorned in, but then I remembered that exoticism and escapism were HUGE in early Hollywood, so I think it would work beautifully! On the pre-show you might want to play this up with movie reels/posters from some of those early escapist films. And since you do need an element of mysticism to draw in being transported to different movies, I think it's a cool motif to use. Also, this does a nice job with paralleling some of the same spookiness as ToT without stepping on its toes, either.

LOVE the potential for different ride experiences!

Well done!!
    Wow thanks I didn't even know about the whole escapist themes that were in Hollywood at that time. And about the posters that's exactly what I was thinking kind of those grainy nostolgic advertisements for adventure serials. However with the management of today it would be more likely to find advertisements fir the Jonas brothers!

• The Study of Wumbo

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    To toot my own horn I think that bringing the S.E.A. Over to CA would really unify the parks without cloning and hopefully create more parallels for DCA to TDS than its east coast sister.
    Agreed. They've got such a creative idea going, and it'd be so easy to include in the attractions.

I wonder if Chester & Hester in DAK are members, or maybe Henry Ravenswood in Disneyland Paris?
    -Hale (wumbology)

a.k.a. h2mc, omnimover.mousetalgia, omnimover, wumbology, hogbackmtn, hhmcsharry, Hale M., h2m, h2mc

(I've never visited Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, nor Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, so don't be fooled when I pretend to know what I'm talking about. [But I'm pretty good with the information, if I do say so myself. And you can hit me all you want with Walt Disney World.])

• Banned User

Why would Mr. Sin Eighma (not a fan of that name at all, BTW) be part of S.E.A. if he is a businessman? Just wondering?

• Future Animator

Yeah I overall like your idea. I would change some elements though.

I definitely like the fact that it would be a "movie" ride as well as a thrilling ride.

I think the big pull of focus for a ride like this... you need to have a mission. That mission could just be getting back getting back to the real world. A story similar to DINOSAUR, but instead of Dinosaurs, you're traveling through movies. You get chased by gangsters, caught in the middle of a cowboy shoot out, etc. But instead of these story elements showing up stolid (like Great Movie Ride), it would be fast paced and thrilling like Dinosaur and Indy. Some of the story elements you have shown, I don't entirely agree with, but the overall mood with the elegance and charm of the period would be great.

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

...for any Disney Theme Park Specials, Behind the Scenes, Making Of's, Celebrations, etc.

• Pongo is my hero.

An E-ticket dark ride that puts you into a Mickey Mouse short where you encounter Daisy, Donald, Huey, Dewy, Louie, Goofy, Pluto, and Minnie while Pete gets all villain-y.... yea, pretty vague.

one hundred and one

Quote Originally Posted by jcman3777 View Post
    I think the big pull of focus for a ride like this... you need to have a mission. That mission could just be getting back getting back to the real world. A story similar to DINOSAUR, but instead of Dinosaurs, you're traveling through movies. You get chased by gangsters, caught in the middle of a cowboy shoot out, etc. But instead of these story elements showing up stolid (like Great Movie Ride), it would be fast paced and thrilling like Dinosaur and Indy. Some of the story elements you have shown, I don't entirely agree with, but the overall mood with the elegance and charm of the period would be great.
    I really struggled with this I didn't know if I should have a driving story or not but in the end I decided to make it in the spirit of mansion and pirAtes rather than Indy if not only because the ride will have rrr and lmr as very story driven attractions so I settled on a grand experience ride that can be seen again and again. However in my earlier notes I tries introducing the shaman of the tribe who returned to take back his artifact or An evil demon living inside of the artifact that would periodically make entrances to push the tempo but decided against it. Each little vignette would have it's own little story with a climax and resolution unto themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Why would Mr. Sin Eighma (not a fan of that name at all, BTW) be part of S.E.A. if he is a businessman? Just wondering?
    The name! Tell me about it. I despise it as much as you if not more so but couldn't think of anything better at the time. Any ideas? And who else but a rich bored middle aged man would be in SEA? Hightower is a businessman as well.

• Established 2005

I do like this idea. I've been hoping they will find a way to bring a trackless attraction stateside soon. Since we already have the Haunted Mansion at DLR, a carbon copy of Mystic Manor won't work.

What about a museum of Hollywood props, costumes and set pieces. . .and, as in most attractions, something goes wrong. One of the items is mystical or cursed and brings the other items to life, taking you through different sets or locations from movies. . .sort of the same idea you have but a bit of a different angle.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    Hightower is a businessman as well.
    He is an explorer. That is why he has hundreds of ARTIFACTS. This guy has a bunch of props. There is nothing adventurous about plastic replicas.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast