Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

Looking for economy trip tips.

Our most recent trip to Disneyland in December really turned my family into Disney lovers. I want to try and go more often but the expense of our trip was so great I don't see how it's possible. I added up that we spent about $4k!! I started looking at how to cut our costs, like at Costco they have a 4 day hopper for $159 each. I was just wondering if anyone has more advice and info on how to cut down the price. One big mistake we made was eating at the most expensive places every day for every meal, like the character meals. I don't mind the $15 a person meals that I saw around the park, but the $40 a person meals add up fast! We really enjoyed staying at the Paradise Pier hotel because of the convenience but does anyone know if it's worth staying at a neighborhood hotel to save dollars? Overall it seems the hotel rates are the biggest factor, closely followed by food prices. Thanks for the help folks, maybe we'll be seeing you again soon!
    Yaye!

Re: Looking for economy trip tips.

2 biggest money savers:

#1: $1 McChickens. Plenty of McDonalds surrounding the area have them
    #2: Tortilla Joe's Nachos. $5.99, top them with whatever you want, like a subway. Feeds 2-4 People.

(Sorry I use those everytime!)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Coming from Phoenix some of our cost saving trips include buying an annual pass, one of us usually has a PAP for the parking and discounts.

Bringing an ice chest stocked with water and snacks, plus those single size crystal light flavor packets. We carry our own water into the park and refill as necesary.

Purchase coffee at the Market House and hold on to your receipt. Free refills all day long.

Priceline our hotel. We usually end up at the Hilton, Crowne Plaza or Hyatt for $50 a night. Some hotels have free private shuttles, some use ART, or we drive and park at Mickey and Friends.

Food wise we are not big eaters so we usually order one adult entree and one kid entree and then split the food between the 2 of us, that way nothing goes to waste. A lot of times we will get a bagel or something light for breakfast at the hotel, eat lunch at the park, have a late afternoon snack and then stop at Del Taco for late night dinner to go.

• Johnny and Me!

May I recommend FiRE + iCE @ GardenWalk? At lunch, it's $15 per person all-you-can-eat. You pick out what you want and they grill it a la Mongolian BBQ.

Another money saver: Bring your own drinks, be it soda, water, fruit punch, etc. and ask for ice at any food location. They will gladly give it to you for free. Beats the $3 + soft drinks for large groups/families. ($20+ on drinks for 5? Try again Disney!)

• Banned User

Stay at a hotel on Harbor Blvd. You can go back and forth to the park on foot, and most of the hotels are under $100 a night. Also, you will save money by eating on Harbor rather than in the park.

• Koubu Pilot

For under $30, we were able to feed 5 adults, 3 teenagers, and 3 children at Del Taco off Katella and I-5.

• Aristocat~!

My friend and I always go very cheap. Usually under $300 each for tickets and food in the park. It's always a bit more for me, since she has an AP and I don't.. But, usually we even have a bit spare for a present to ourselves!

We usually stay at rather cheap hotels.. My favorite is the Super 8 on Katella. It's a nice, short walk to the park and usually doesn't cost much! A nice tip is to remember to bring a lot of snacks and drinks. Fill up your backpacks with bottles of water, chips, fruit funs, fruit, whatever you like. Stop at fast food for breakfast if your hotel doesn't offer one.

It's really key to stay away from big meals. I love a $40 meal, but sometimes it's just not cost effective. Save up for those expensive meals and do it on another trip! That way you can look out for places that interest you. I always find the Mexican food place to be really filling (it's by Big Thunder) and only costs $10-$15 per person. Plus you get unlimited refills of your cup, which is nice!

It's a lot easier than it sounds! Snack through the day on your own food and you really save. I hope this helps!

• Minion

The Costco 4-day park hopper expires on August 23, so you may want to wait a while on that to see if they offer a new expiration date.

The Super 8 on Katella had the lowest rates we could find. The motel rooms are bare-bones, but they do have a pool and jacuzzi. The free "breakfast" isn't much more than cold cereal, cheap donuts and coffee, but at least it's something. Mimi's Cafe on Harbor, near the Howard Johnson's has good food for a chain restaurant. You can pick up a sandwich from Subway at the corner of Harbor and Katella, or an iced coffee from the 7-11 on the other corner. You can walk to the parks from the Super 8, thus saving you the $15 parking fee. Inside the park, try a Dole Whip, it's $3.03 with tax and will satisfy both your hunger and thirst for a while. Probably the biggest money saving tip is avoid overpriced souvenirs.

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Potato Head View Post
    2 biggest money savers:

#1: $1 McChickens. Plenty of McDonalds surrounding the area have them
    #2: Tortilla Joe's Nachos. $5.99, top them with whatever you want, like a subway. Feeds 2-4 People.

(Sorry I use those everytime!)
    Is Tortilla Joe's in the DL park? I know some hotels are cheaper when they are a little further away, but I'd really prefer one I can park the car at and walk to the park. I was reading in one of the guide books there are 2 or 3 that are a 5 minute walk, sounds super close to me! The biggest concern with AP's is isn't there black out days? Some one mentioned discounts, what kind of discount is there if you have an AP?
    Yaye!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Tortilla Jo's is at DTD. If you are trying to stay at a hotel within walking distance I highly recommend the Hojo's as they have free parking and offer a Micechat discount. They are right next to Mimi's and you walk right past McDonalds on your way into the park.

As for AP discounts, Deluxe AP'ers get 10% off food; Premium AP'ers get 15% off food and 10% off merchandise.

Premium AP's do not have any blockout dates. Deluxe AP's have some block out dates and you can check the Disneyland.com website to find out which days. Also if you are going on a blockout date you can buy a blockout ticket for $40 or $45 (not sure what it is now).
    Last edited by pratt55; 01-10-2010 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added blockout dates

Quote Originally Posted by phi1215 View Post
    Is Tortilla Joe's in the DL park? I know some hotels are cheaper when they are a little further away, but I'd really prefer one I can park the car at and walk to the park. I was reading in one of the guide books there are 2 or 3 that are a 5 minute walk, sounds super close to me! The biggest concern with AP's is isn't there black out days? Some one mentioned discounts, what kind of discount is there if you have an AP?
    Tortilla Joe's is in Downtown Disney (Nachos are at the outdoor bar, not indoor resteraunt!!! Inside is a RIPOFF)

AP's have varying blackout dates, and have either a 10 or 15% Discount. (Depends on the pass)

Never ever stayed at a hotel, so hopefully someone else can help you! They usually have shuttles though if that helps.

• I'm not really here

One of our favorite $$$ savers is staying off property. There are a lot of 'mid-range' hotels that are quite nice without being ridiculous. We love staying at the Park Vue Inn (literally right across the street. As in you cross the cross-walk and you're there. The HoJo is also really good though a little bit further of a walk, but still very close.

We usually only do one character meal per trip. The rest of the time we eat at the Golden Horseshoe, Pizza Port, Rancho del Zocalo, Cafe Orleans, etc. That also can help keep the cost down.

Park Vue offers a free breakfast every morning so that's one less meal in the park. We also bring a backpack with snacks in it. Cheese and crackers, etc so we don't have to spend on overpriced snacks in the park.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Pack Eletric Fry pan
    do eat breakfast in the room and save $10.00 - $12.00 person
    or eat at fast food Breakfast.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• Achieving epicness.

Quote Originally Posted by phi1215 View Post
    Torilla Jo's is in Downtown Disney.

If we decide to stay a night you can get a room @ Anaheim Plaza hotel on Harbor for around $50 a night (two queen beds) during "off season." Super close to the park. Decent hotel for the price.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast