Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Future Cast Member :)

Lightbulb Future Park Expansion

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, or maybe it's a bad idea, but here's my idea for a future expansion to Disneyland, or a new little park.

They use the current space occupied by some of the parking lots (not M&F of course) and put in a new land/park/expansion. One of the parking lots would be kept and rebuilt as a multi-layer parking structure. Of course the construction would prevent many cars from parking. There would also be a monorail system that can accomadate many guests per hour back and forth between the new expansion area(s). There wouldn't be windows on the new monorail, only video screens showing video, so it would give the illusion that they're not actually leaving the main park.

What do you guys think? Like it, hate it?

• Banned User

Re: Future Park Expansion

I do not like the monorail idea.

Quote Originally Posted by TikiGhost View Post
    There wouldn't be windows on the new monorail, only video screens showing video
    This is where the problem lies.

Besides, lets get DCA right first.

• Lion

I do think their best bet is to max out DCA's potential right now. If they make a great new 3rd park, DCA would do even worse. They're taking the steps now to make DCA a prime destination with the makeover. Between WoC, Mermaid, Carsland/RSR, and the various other visual changes including the entry and the Red Car, it's going to be so much better.

As for a new park, I've had an idea that will never happen, but it's fun to dream: the former Tustin MCAS. It's a HUGE (and I do mean huge) open space in Tustin, about 10 minutes from DLR. They'd obviously need some form of transport from DLR to that area, but they could make a large theme park, hotel, and much more. A high speed rail line that follows I-5 or a monorail of some kind would be nothing more than a 5-7 minute ride.

This won't happen, of course. I don't believe the area would ever approve the usage of that land for that purpose, and there's still the issue of "connecting" it to the DLR.

It's a shame that Walt didn't foresee the potential for expansion and buy up a lot more land. Fortunately he did that with WDW and the things you can't fit into DLR like Animal Kingdom and Epcot. I'm thankful for the resorts on both coasts.

Here's a picture of the space available at the old MCAS. DLR (the whole thing) fits comfortably within.

Quote Originally Posted by TikiGhost View Post
    There wouldn't be windows on the new monorail, only video screens showing video, so it would give the illusion that they're not actually leaving the main park.
    It may be a nice concept but lack of windows is not usually the best (claustrophobia, if it gets hot and the air conditioning is on the fritz, etc.) and video screens along the inside is very pricey.

A monorail (or similar) that takes visitors from the parking lot to the park is interesting but a little repetitive as the tram does the same and you only need to take an escalator down to ground level.

and for the above...
    Wow, that's a large space....

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    As for a new park, I've had an idea that will never happen, but it's fun to dream: the former Tustin MCAS. It's a HUGE (and I do mean huge) open space in Tustin, about 10 minutes from DLR. They'd obviously need some form of transport from DLR to that area, but they could make a large theme park, hotel, and much more. A high speed rail line that follows I-5 or a monorail of some kind would be nothing more than a 5-7 minute ride.

Here's a picture of the space available at the old MCAS. DLR (the whole thing) fits comfortably within.

I like the idea .... I'd be even closer to a Disney park.

• Future Animator

Fantastic idea. DLR could actually get a DisneySea park and use all the room they need.

Is this north on I-5 from Disneyland or south?

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

...for any Disney Theme Park Specials, Behind the Scenes, Making Of's, Celebrations, etc.

• Artistic integrity

Funny you should mention this space.

Since the closure of the air base .... I understand it's been a hotly contested piece of property for other kinds of usages .. such as another airport for O.C. ... Could be wrong on this - a new school/university?

But I hope this space never goes to building homes or corporate offices. Irvine/El Toro area .. has enough of that!

This space does need to be reserved for something else.

Something unique the region does not currently have.

My only worry is how this would put a strain on the neighboring El Toro "Y" freeway interchange (5/405 merger point), and those two freeways heading out from that point.

That's where that idea of a train or even a monorail would come in handy. And it would have to be "industrial" size to handle the crowds.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 01-11-2010 at 01:58 AM.

It's a shame that Walt didn't foresee the potential for expansion and buy up a lot more land. Fortunately he did that with WDW and the things you can't fit into DLR like Animal Kingdom and Epcot. I'm thankful for the resorts on both coasts
    It wasn't lack of foresight, it was lack of money.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Potato Head View Post

Besides, lets get DCA right first.
    Ummm, not to mention Disneyland (Tomorrowland, just for example?)
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    It wasn't lack of foresight, it was lack of money.
    Was it really? I didn't think the land around Anaheim was worth anything at the time. I was under the impression that there were plenty of fields that could have been had for cheap - much less than the construction costs for the park, anyway. There was just SO much empty space out there. I could be completely wrong, however.

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by jcman3777 View Post
    Fantastic idea. DLR could actually get a DisneySea park and use all the room they need.

Is this north on I-5 from Disneyland or south?
    It's southeast of DLR. Right next door to the Orange County / John Wayne Airport.

• Artistic integrity

For those who don't even know what MCAS stands for ...
    it's ....

Marine Corps Air Station El Toro

Read the first paragraph folks .. from the Wikipedia page. You'll be surprised by the "6 degrees of separation" here!

Marine Corps Air Station El Toro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    For those who don't even know what MCAS stands for ...
    it's ....

Marine Corps Air Station El Toro

Read the first paragraph folks .. from the Wikipedia page. You'll be surprised by the "6 degrees of separation" here!

Marine Corps Air Station El Toro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    That one is a little further down the road. I believe the Tustin MCAS has more room available, as El Toro is currently being converted to a large recreational nature preserve type area. The Tustin MCAS also has two of the largest wooden-skeleton blimp hangers in North America. Here's a picture of one of them: http://iallt2011.files.wordpress.com...imp_hangar.jpg
    Last edited by simba; 01-11-2010 at 02:59 AM. Reason: typo

• Artistic integrity

Lets clear up a little confusion on my part though ......

There's the large area of two Blimp hangars in Tustin .. which is what poster "simba" just referred to in post #12.

MCAS .. is actually further down closer to the juncture of the "El Toro Y" 5/405 freeway interchange.

MCAS is actually QUITE LARGER!

For those of you with Google Earth ... In MCAS is frikin massive!!! Puts the Tustin blimp hangars location to shame!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast