View Poll Results: Should the Muppet Christmas Carol play at the Hyperion for the holidays?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • "God bless us, every one!"

41 74.55%
  • "Bah, Humbug!!"

10 18.18%
  • "You wish to remain anonymous?" "I wish to be left alone!"

4 7.27%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• ---------------

Re: Holiday overlay for the Hyperion Theater?

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    I do like Mickey's Christmas Carol, but I think it could get its tribute by costumed characters in Toontown. The muppet version has great music which I think would make it particularly well-suited to a stage production.
    I agree.
    Some ppl just didn't know if two muppet attractions (in the same land) would work so I offered another choice. As long as it's not a princess/tinkerbell Christmas I'm for it.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

No because we would have no shows going during September-November and then they would have to take the stuff off the stage for regular shows....it seems like to much work and time off, DCA needs all the shows and rides it can get right now.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    No because we would have no shows going during September-November and then they would have to take the stuff off the stage for regular shows....it seems like to much work and time off, DCA needs all the shows and rides it can get right now.
    According to the refurbishment announcements on past Dateline Disneylands, It's A Small World Holiday takes 17 days to install, and Haunted Mansion Holiday takes 14 days, and they each take about 10 days to remove. I imagine the sets for a single-stage show would be vastly less complicated to replace than these attractions, but even at maximum we'd only have a little over 2 weeks of not having a show at Hyperion.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Hyperion? No way. Whatever is going in there needs to be semi-permanent...or at least, I think that's the way Disney thinks. You have to take into consideration what the venue is and what it looks like...will that mesh with the show that is trying to be presented?

If the Muppets were to be put on at the Hyperion, the audience would have to see live puppeteers onstage with the Muppets...something that I have never seen done with this group of characters. Don't get me wrong, shows like Avenue Q work well...but that is staged for an adult audience. The Muppets have always been family-friendly, the magic not revealed.

Which is why I love filmfreak's suggestion. Playhouse Disney would be the perfect venue! Why?

1. The shows there change all the time.

2. The stage is already set up to accommodate puppets while hiding the puppeteers.

Doing MCC there would be a cinch...and it would actually make DCA a little more "fun for the whole family." It would certainly be a hit, and it's no secret that DCA's holiday offerings have up to now been kinda slim/lame...doing a show like this would re-invigorate the park for the better, IMHO.

I don't think there needs to be a competition between Disney's owned properties. They're all great in their own right...in this situation, the show already has all the music and makings of a musical. Mickey's Christmas Carol has no musical numbers (though it is a great movie). Therefore, MCC would be a better fit for this situation.

I'd love to see Disney do this. They'd take an active role in celebrating the Muppets and would make DCA more Christmasy.

Does anyone know how much seating there is inside Playhouse Disney?

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Hyperion? No way. Whatever is going in there needs to be semi-permanent...or at least, I think that's the way Disney thinks. You have to take into consideration what the venue is and what it looks like...will that mesh with the show that is trying to be presented?

If the Muppets were to be put on at the Hyperion, the audience would have to see live puppeteers onstage with the Muppets...something that I have never seen done with this group of characters. Don't get me wrong, shows like Avenue Q work well...but that is staged for an adult audience. The Muppets have always been family-friendly, the magic not revealed.

Which is why I love filmfreak's suggestion. Playhouse Disney would be the perfect venue! Why?

1. The shows there change all the time.

2. The stage is already set up to accommodate puppets while hiding the puppeteers.

Doing MCC there would be a cinch...and it would actually make DCA a little more "fun for the whole family." It would certainly be a hit, and it's no secret that DCA's holiday offerings have up to now been kinda slim/lame...doing a show like this would re-invigorate the park for the better, IMHO.

I don't think there needs to be a competition between Disney's owned properties. They're all great in their own right...in this situation, the show already has all the music and makings of a musical. Mickey's Christmas Carol has no musical numbers (though it is a great movie). Therefore, MCC would be a better fit for this situation.

I'd love to see Disney do this. They'd take an active role in celebrating the Muppets and would make DCA more Christmasy.

Does anyone know how much seating there is inside Playhouse Disney?
    I'd never really thought about Playhouse Disney...of course, I've never even been inside since it looks way too "little kids and lobotomized parents only." Are the shows there any good (if you're over the age of 8)?

From what I can see on Google images, the setting looks a little plain-jane so it wouldn't be ideal for the show. Hyperion looks so much grander (& hopefully even more so after a remodel!). Of course, if the Playhouse Disney building & interior were to be spruced up and able to accommodate shows that were entertaining to the whole family, that would pay dividends all year round.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about puppeteering or stage design to know how complicated it is to make a standard stage suitable for puppets... I'd be happy to learn more if anyone could point me to some info!

• Pongo is my hero.

No thank you. I think they should be alternating shows though because of the AP crowd. Maybe have Toy Story, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast switch up.

one hundred and one

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
    No thank you. I think they should be alternating shows though because of the AP crowd. Maybe have Toy Story, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast switch up.
    mmmmm Sets.

That would be an impossible switch up unless the sets are interchangeable... which they really aren't...
    Andy's Room, Agrabah, and France
    Changing sets, lighting and audio queues can take a week with a quick well-trained crew. I can imagine that being a huge waste of time and money.

I agree that the puppeteers really shouldn't be visible.
    Of course we know that they're puppets... but kids don't know that.
    I think Playhouse Disney would be perfect for a Mickey's Christmas Carol show. They already have all the puppets, just dress them up and change the sets.
    Would be a nice change, and I might actually go see it. (I've never been in the Playhouse Disney place myself)

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

With any luck, the Toy Story Musical will be a huge flop and then the theater will be available for your Christmas show idea!

Actually, the Toy Story Musical idea is already a huge flop with fans, almost universally detested.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    With any luck, the Toy Story Musical will be a huge flop and then the theater will be available for your Christmas show idea!

Actually, the Toy Story Musical idea is already a huge flop with fans, almost universally detested.
    look at the huge dislike of what we know as HISTA.
    & Look how long it took to get it out.

We'll all have to see how the show goes.
    Hopefully if it does flop, Disney won't try to squeeze the life out of it and keep it in for a long time.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    look at the huge dislike of what we know as HISTA.
    & Look how long it took to get it out.

We'll all have to see how the show goes.
    Hopefully if it does flop, Disney won't try to squeeze the life out of it and keep it in for a long time.
    HISTA does not cost thousands/hundreds of dollars a show.

I honestly believe that if the show were to fail, they would cut down showings to Friday through Sunday and let it sit there for years.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post

And that villain one that they're designing for the Cruise Line looks promising...why couldn't we have gotten that?!

Actually for the non-Holiday time, I'd like to see more shows like BLAST! I wish Hyperion would be used for touring shows to do an engagement of a month or two at a time, just like when Broadway shows visit various cities. When my family and I first went to DCA, we saw BLAST and we thought we'd have that kind of high-quality entertainment to look forward every time we made it down to SoCal. Instead, it was Aladdin, Aladdin, Aladdin... (which is fine a few times, but 8 full years?!)

Of course, having a proprietary show that runs for years and years wouldn't be such a problem if it was used to fill in the gaps in the touring schedule.

• Pongo is my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    And that villain one that they're designing for the Cruise Line looks promising...why couldn't we have gotten that?!

Actually for the non-Holiday time, I'd like to see more shows like BLAST! I wish Hyperion would be used for touring shows to do an engagement of a month or two at a time, just like when Broadway shows visit various cities. When my family and I first went to DCA, we saw BLAST and we thought we'd have that kind of high-quality entertainment to look forward every time we made it down to SoCal. Instead, it was Aladdin, Aladdin, Aladdin... (which is fine a few times, but 8 full years?!)

Of course, having a proprietary show that runs for years and years wouldn't be such a problem if it was used to fill in the gaps in the touring schedule.

The Hades and Facilier are a bit out of character in my honest opinion.

I'd also like to see a Pilobolus show

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjysmHSAfnw]YouTube - shadow dance pilobolus[/ame]

one hundred and one

• Banned User

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Zfsn6BhLs&feature=related]YouTube - Disney SEA BBB Christmas Version?[/ame]

Very Hollywoodlandish and very Christmas-y. A modified version of this would be GREAT!

•   
    • Seasick

I don't think the Muppets would lend themselves to a stage show, but a holiday show in the theatre would be a no-brainer if done well.

As much as I love the songs in the Muppet Christmas Carol, I just don't think it's a good fit. Would the muppets even be sufficiently visible? Do we really want a Muppet show that is lip-synched? I don't want anyone but the proper cast to do the major Muppet voices.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    I don't think the Muppets would lend themselves to a stage show, but a holiday show in the theatre would be a no-brainer if done well.

As much as I love the songs in the Muppet Christmas Carol, I just don't think it's a good fit. Would the muppets even be sufficiently visible? Do we really want a Muppet show that is lip-synched? I don't want anyone but the proper cast to do the major Muppet voices.
    I don't get where you're coming from about the Muppets not being suited to a stage show--puppeteering is a beloved art form that has thrived on stage for centuries! How would the Muppets be any different?

The voices are a bit of a concern, but I personally wouldn't mind lip-synched muppets...after all, the puppets have to lip synch, since they have no vocal cords.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast