View Poll Results: Should the Muppet Christmas Carol play at the Hyperion for the holidays?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • "God bless us, every one!"

41 74.55%
  • "Bah, Humbug!!"

10 18.18%
  • "You wish to remain anonymous?" "I wish to be left alone!"

4 7.27%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Wilderness Explorer

Re: Holiday overlay for the Hyperion Theater?

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Very Hollywoodlandish and very Christmas-y. A modified version of this would be GREAT!
    That looks awesome! That would seriously be a great show!
    And one of the good things is that it's not necessarily a story show, so it doesn't involve a ton of sets.
    It wouldn't be difficult just to overlay something over the existing sets.

Unfortunately, I feel like you're going to get crap for posting this by someone looking to start a fight.
    But I'm with you, I would enjoy that show at Disneyland.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    That looks awesome! That would seriously be a great show!
    And one of the good things is that it's not necessarily a story show, so it doesn't involve a ton of sets.
    It wouldn't be difficult just to overlay something over the existing sets.

Unfortunately, I feel like you're going to get crap for posting this by someone looking to start a fight.
    But I'm with you, I would enjoy that show at Disneyland.
    Actually that is just the Christmas version of the show. The real version looks like this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDfFIckzpY0]YouTube - Big Band Beat (TDS)[/ame]

I am for bringing both versions of the show to DCA.

• Armchair Imagineer

Some of the character scenes are just a bit too cutesy for my taste, but the big song and dance numbers are fantastic!!

I think a Big Band show would be absolutely perfect for Hollywoodland once they retheme it to the 1930s-40s.

And Mickey & Minnie ballroom dancing to "Winter Wonderland"...my heart just melted!!

Maybe that would be the best show for the Hyperion, and for technical/logistical reasons the Muppet Christmas Carol would be better suited to the Playhouse Disney stage (I don't know enough about the technical end of things to offer an opinion). I'd like to see Playhouse Disney "spruced-up" in that case, and that would make it better all year round.
    Last edited by AGD; 02-20-2010 at 02:39 PM.

• Banned User

All I know about the sets for Big Band Beat is that they are all VERY small compared to a giant show like Aladdin. Big Band Beat was designed to last only 10 months but it was so popular (and the Snow Queen Show funding was directed other places) that they are keeping it for about 5 years. Its a very solid show.

• Disney friends are #1

I miss Mickey's Nutcracker at the Fantasyland Theater in Disneyland. That used to be an annual event. It was a great show and featured many types of music. Other than the annual Christmas Fantasy Parade, there are no holiday shows (Billy Hill and the Hillbillies intigrates some Christmas music into a slightly edited version of their regular show is a minor exception) at the DLR anymore (aside from the "Holiday" versions of Mansion IASW). We need something like Mickey's Nutcracker type shows in the resort. The previously announced "Holiday" version of the World of Color show will be a nice addition to DCA's anemic holiday offerings and decor.
    Last edited by Crazee4mm; 01-20-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: clarity

• Banned User

^Slow down there buddy! First lets get us some year round entertainment at Disneyland.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

^Slow down there buddy! First lets get us some year round entertainment at Disneyland.
    and if we kick the princess crap out of Fantasyland theater, we could get some year round entertainment.
    I know the princess make money, but that whole thing could go somewhere else.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Crazee4mm View Post
    The previously announced "Holiday" version of the World of Color show will be a nice addition to DCA's anemic holiday offerings and decor.
    I agree...especially since the show is comprised of reusable, modifiable elements. So, I think they should go all out--special WoC for Halloween, Christmas, New Year's, 4th of July, etc., which would help get repeat visitors to the park and lower crowds next door. But you're right, there's always a "magic differential" (that's a technical term ) when it comes to Disneyland and DCA, but that definitely increases around the holidays.

A gaggle of Victorian muppets certainly wouldn't fill the gap, but it would put DCA one solid step closer to holiday cheer!

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

and weren't you the one saying in the other thread "more seasonal stuff! more seasonal this and that!"
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
    and weren't you the one saying in the other thread "more seasonal stuff! more seasonal this and that!"
    I know, I know. Disneyland needs a ton of stuff. They should have more seasonal entertainment, that is for sure, but they need year round entertainment.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Playhouse Disney would be the perfect venue! Why?

1. The shows there change all the time.

2. The stage is already set up to accommodate puppets while hiding the puppeteers.

Doing MCC there would be a cinch...and it would actually make DCA a little more "fun for the whole family." It would certainly be a hit, and it's no secret that DCA's holiday offerings have up to now been kinda slim/lame...doing a show like this would re-invigorate the park for the better, IMHO.

I don't think there needs to be a competition between Disney's owned properties. They're all great in their own right...in this situation, the show already has all the music and makings of a musical. Mickey's Christmas Carol has no musical numbers (though it is a great movie). Therefore, MCC would be a better fit for this situation.

I'd love to see Disney do this. They'd take an active role in celebrating the Muppets and would make DCA more Christmasy.

Does anyone know how much seating there is inside Playhouse Disney?
    On this note, what if Playhouse Disney were fully re-purposed to be a theater for the Muppets? They have the ability to appeal to the little ones without boring older family members . What's more, when Hollywoodland is re-themed to the '30s and '40s, I really don't see where Playhouse Disney could fit, but the Muppets are much more adaptable to old-Hollywood charm.

Since MuppetVision 3D is widely believed to be needing a replacement, the muppets would appear in theatrical form instead. (Anyway, I have become quite intrigued by MistaDee's movie E-ticket, which would necessitate the demolishment of MuppetVision, and I like my Armchair Imagineering to be internally consistent...)

Then, their Christmas show (at the current Playhouse Disney) would be MCC, and wouldn't alter the balance of characters in the park.

I know I'll probably be flogged by MuppetVision fans (as it is Jim Henson's last time to voice Kermit), but I'm ready for a new MuppetVision movie. My idea would essentially make a MuppetVision version of Cinemagique. Imagine Gonzo before the movie starts sitting in the box seat across from Waldorf and Statler, putting on a magic/cursed pair of 3D glasses and getting sucked into a series of great classic movie bits.

While I'd love to see the Great Muppet Movie Ride, I think this would be a great compromise. In addition, for a larger initial cost in filming the movies, you could have holiday overlays ready to go with a Halloween version including a spin on classic Universal-esque monster movies and a Christmas one with the Muppet Christmas Carol.

As for the Hyperion, I would love to see a version of On the Record or at least a big band style Disney musical revue. You'd have a show that could keep the look and feel of classic Hollywood (as On the Record is set in a recording studio - could just be changed to a classic 30s-40s recording studio set), and cover all the great Disney music the audience will want to sing along with.

• let's talk Disney, okay!

shows arent hard to rep in and out. just need a rep plot (lighting design that fits all the shows) and a flash drive to store all the light board info on. and sound you can just store on the computer you run it on. the sets for rep shows are usually made to be easily set and struck.

and the Hyperion is big enough to do all of this. its a top of the line theatre!

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123