Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Future Animator

Disney Nostalgia in DCA

Ok, so I have been doing a bit of thinking about the DCA overhaul. Now that DCA is finally paying attention to how DCA works thematically, that means that there is no room for little theming flaws. Everything will have to work cohesively. And time will tell if that will work.

But Buena Vista Street and the curve into HollywoodLand I think will be one of the highlights for me. Those connecting streets with the trolleys running through has the potential to have the same energy and excitement as Main Street provided me as a child. But these lands in DCA might be able to bring something else to the table that Disneyland doesn't have. Something different.

It has the opportunity to include the nostalgia of old time Disney. You know the feeling you get when you put in a classic like Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Cinderella, etc. and that fanfare starts up and you get so excited because this is a Disney movie... That's what I think these areas are going for; the nostalgic richness of Disney movies and the idealized vision of moviemaking at this time. The fact that this time period grasps the same emotions as a timeless classic like Snow White in a different but equal way that Disneyland can grasp it, excites me. It excites me because it is already pulling on my emotions the way Main Street does, but in en entirely different way.

I'm a big sucker for all the Disney DVD and Blu-Ray collections, most notably the Walt Disney Treasures Series and the new blu-ray releases of Pinocchio and Snow White. I believe Buena Vista Street and HollywoodLand will capture that nostalgia and emotion into a living, breathing, physical representation. Obviously, it will not be a specific date in time, but it is emotionally right on.

But as I was saying earlier, DCA must make everything consistent thematically. I think they will cover everything having to do with architecture, but all the shops and attractions MUST be emotionally right to work with the motif. In other words, I'm questioning Toy Story the Musical, Monster's Inc: Mike and Sulley to the Rescue, and even Muppets (And I'm a HUGE fan).
    Muppets, I'm not as concerned with, but Monsters, even though it is a beloved children's ride (to some) doesn't fit with the mood at all. The Monsters facade, although cool looking, will not and has never fit in with the Hollywood architecture.

(^ I always cringe when I see that as the backdrop to Sorcerer Mickey ^)
    Even if it IS a movie (and that's how you rationalize it). Although it is a cute attraction, it needs to go. I'm thinking a different darkride would be appropriate that has to do with the themes I was talking about. Nostalgic. Disney. Idealized Hollywood. Any suggestions?

Now Toy Story the Musical is a huge problem. I have no idea how long it's going to last either... I just still can't believe it's actually going to happen. But the Hyperion is at the other end of HollywoodLand. It has a beautiful marquee. All people are drawn toward that end. Whatever is put in that building needs to be the heart and soul of what I'm talking about. DISNEY NOSTALGIA... There used to be a show in the Hyperion at opening that didn't last long. It was called Steps In Time. Basically taking you on a nostalgic trip through your Disney memories all the way from the very beginning. (Sound familiar?) I never saw this show live, but I have seen many video of it. And I believe, in essence, it was trying to capture what the Imagineers are trying to capture in BVS and HollywoodLand. DISNEY NOSTALGIA. (Sorry, had to say it again.) This show had it's flaws... but I would want it definitely to be retooled and flow a bit like I am about to describe:

The show would start like the beginning of an old time Disney classic. The classic Disney fanfare. The trumpets and snare. Possibly even showing footage of the Snow White book opening from the film. Then lights would spot slowly on a woman in a long, elegant, texturized dress and would sing from the film. Looking something like this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrkEX8k-f2g]YouTube - I'm Wishing[/ame]

Again, not exactly like this, but I like the design of the set. It's all dressed elegantly and classy. And dress revealing a Snow White mural, proves the show would be visually stunning and surprising.

The show would continue down this path. Doing surprising, elegant things to all the Disney classics. "I've Got No Strings" - Pinocchio, "Baby Mine" - Dumbo, "Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" - Cinderella, "You Can Fly" Peter Pan, "Bella Notte" - Lady and the Tramp, "Chim-Chim-Cheree/Feed the Birds" - Mary Poppins, "Part of Your World/Under the Sea" - Little Mermaid, "Beauty and the Beast", "Whole New World" - Aladdin, "Circle of Life/Hakuna Matata" - Lion King, "Go the Distance" -Hercules, "Out There" - Hunchback of Notre Dame, maybe a Princess and the Frog song...etc. Ending with "When You Wish Upon A Star" finale. Making it very nostalgic with video of Walt perhaps. All Disney characters. It will remind everyone how much Disney has been apart of their life.

But all of it would be done with amazing vocalists, moving sets, classy and elegant costumes and mood, and surprising visual elements to keep you drawn in. Here's a PERFECT example of what I'm going for...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjNUJoH7rPw]YouTube - Beauty and The Beast[/ame]

So even through, all of the amazing vocals, amazing visuals, elegant mood, moving sets, I believe it can all be done with the nostalgic Disney theme dominating the entire audience.

This is JUST the type of mood that I believe is trying to be pulled off in Buena Vista Street and HollywoodLand. I also believe it is one of the wisest choices for Disney to make during this expansion. It just desperately needs the class/elegance and the nostalgia of Disney that Disneyland has. And the attractions in Buena Vista Street and HollywoodLand, especially the Hyperion, are the solution.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by jcman3777; 01-12-2010 at 02:06 PM.

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

...for any Disney Theme Park Specials, Behind the Scenes, Making Of's, Celebrations, etc.

Re: Disney Nostalgia in DCA

First off, pictures were a nice touch!

Secondly, I really think DCA needs to lose its dependence on movies. Instead of Disney Nostalgia, why not something related to California? It is CALIFORNIA adventure. Like a story of how California was discovered. Fits in perfectly with 1930s Hollywoodland.

I love Monsters Inc, but if it has to go it has to go. Maybe just an exterior remodeling? Dont forget they have a budget too!

• The Original LOST BOY

I understand what your are saying, not just by the architecture of Monster's Inc/Muppets but the theme....

but to be honest, I don’t want to see neither go. I don’t know how they are gonna get these to mesh with the theme......... :*(

it’s like a lose/lose.
    The Original LOST BOY

• The Original LOST BOY

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Potato Head View Post

Secondly, I really think DCA needs to lose its dependence on movies. Instead of Disney Nostalgia, why not something related to California? It is CALIFORNIA adventure. Like a story of how California was discovered. Fits in perfectly with 1930s Hollywoodland.
    i think it should be changed to "WALT DISNEY'S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE"
    & what we are experiencing in the Hollywoodland area is what WALT experienced when he 1st came to california. the struggles of making snow white. the struggles of the shorts & silly symphonies. the experimental time of sound cartoons birth. but also the triumph of finishing snow white & sound cartoons.

i dont think people are really going to be interested in the history of california for a theme park, if thats the case, they'd just go to a museum.

they want it to be DISNEY, which is why they are there
    The Original LOST BOY

• "The Musical Quil"

Walt didn't experience MONSTERS in 1930? Someone lied to me? I feel dirty
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS

• Future Animator

Quote Originally Posted by ItsFREAKS View Post
    & what we are experiencing in the Hollywoodland area is what WALT experienced when he 1st came to california. the struggles of making snow white. the struggles of the shorts & silly symphonies. the experimental time of sound cartoons birth. but also the triumph of finishing snow white & sound cartoons.

i dont think people are really going to be interested in the history of california for a theme park, if thats the case, they'd just go to a museum.

Perfectly said.

And I think that's what they're going for, at least through BVS. But since it's such a strong a Disney theme focus, I would like for them to stretch that all along the tracks of the Red Car, through HollywoodLand.

And really, I like Monsters Inc. The exterior is an eyesore... but I love the film (one of my favorites) and the ride carries along the mood of the film. And I would be sad if there was nothing for the movie in either park. I also understand there's a budget. But I was talking in the late future. When HollywoodLand is getting close to completed, including every attraction in that area fitting that Classic Disney (Snow White, Silly Symphonies, Mickey Mouse) theme.

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

...for any Disney Theme Park Specials, Behind the Scenes, Making Of's, Celebrations, etc.

• Future Animator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Potato Head View Post
    I hope you aren't being sarcastic... But I ya know, nothing wrong with including a little visual. Makes a little more entertaining...

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

• The Original LOST BOY

i dont think he was bring sarcastic, it always makes threads like this WAY more interesting.
    The Original LOST BOY

• Future Princess

Wow! That name actually has a much nicer ring to it! Why can't they change the name along with the rest of the park?!!

And I agree on not having California history. I think it'd be going in the wrong direction as far as improving the park goes.

And I also think that Muppets kind of fits with the Hollywood theme. Just my opinion
    "...Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."

• The Original LOST BOY

how would it fit the theme of 1920's hollywood again?

*lost*

& yeah, ive been having the idea of them changing it to "Walt Disney's California Adventure" since i started reading the book "Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination" by Neal Gabler
    The Original LOST BOY

• Pongo is my hero.

This is a little detour from the topic of creating nostalgia to nostalgia of what has been created.

You know what is sad? DCA will have such little nostalgia in future years. Everything is going to be new- with most of the old GONE.

And if you don't catch my drift-

DHS- Old tram tour that took hours, Sorcery in the Sky
    Epcot- Horizons, World of Motion, old JII, Tapestry of Dreams, all the IllumiNations, Wonders of Life
    Magic Kingdom- Timekeeper, AA, Tiki Room, Fantasy in the Sky, 20k Leagues Under the Sea, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, soon to be Toontown Faire
    Disneyland- Believe, There's Magic in the Stars, Parade of Dreams, Train Through Nature's Wonderland, Journey to the Moon/Mars, Tom Sawyer Island, CoP, Journey Through Inner Space

But what will you remember from DCA that you enjoyed? Can it even compare to the other Disney parks in the states? I don't think it can.

one hundred and one

• Hello

Cool Re: Disney Nostalgia in DCA

Lots of reading, but from what I read (most of it) I agree. Great job and great post!!!

• Drink life to the lees.

• The Original LOST BOY

Quote Originally Posted by stitchrulz View Post
    YOU do huh? well, so did WDI

(FROM UR LINK)
    Quote Originally Posted by yourlink

It looked great, doesn't it? And not only the Dick Tracy Crime Stoppers attraction was envisioned for the Disney MGM Studios, but also for Disneyland, Anaheim for a whole new land: "Hollywoodland". And if you ask any imagineer who worked at WDI at that time and who had the luck to see the model, they will all tell you how great the attraction would have been.

Artwork: copyright Disney Enterprises Inc.
    GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!
    The Original LOST BOY

• Future Princess

how would it fit the theme of 1920's hollywood again?

*lost*

& yeah, ive been having the idea of them changing it to "Walt Disney's California Adventure" since i started reading the book "Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination" by Neal Gabler
    I know it doesn't really fit in with the 1920's theme, but with Hollywood as a whole, i think it works fine.
    "...Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast