Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Future Cast Member

Mickey's Toontown: Roger Rabbit Connection?

I know the toontown in Disneyland is called Mickey's Toontown, but is it based on the Toontown in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"? Since they have Roger Rabbit's Toon Spin as the main attraction, I always assumed they were the same Toontown, though there's little other references to the movie besides the attraction. Most of the land seems to just be a completely different land just for Mickey & Friends characters. Also, I've never read, seen, or heard anything about Mickey's Toontown being based on Toontown in Roger Rabbit. I know in the movie Mickey and friends do appear, but it seems to be more of a town for all toons, while in Disneyland, Mickey and friends seem to run the city.

So am I the only one who's always assumed Mickey's Toontown was a recreation of the movie's land? What are some references to "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" 's Toontown that you've noticed? Do you know of anything from Disney and/or Imagineers that talk about it being based on the movie's land besides "Roger Rabbit's ToonSpin"?

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

Re: Mickey's Toontown: Roger Rabbit Connection?

well it's not the fact that it's the main attraction, it's just the only good attraction for people 4 and older

sorry that's all i read, i'll keep reading

EDIT: ok well i agree that the town to me just seems to be referenced for all toons, and plus i haven't seen who framed roger rabbit in a very very long time
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The movie's Toontown, at least visually, is totally different..a lot more run down and film-noirish, which suits the rest of the film. I'd say Mickey's Toontown is a different entity entirely. Within the walls of the Roger attraction, style is a little closer to the movie, but still not as "gritty" as it appears in the film.

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

I didn't like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, so we almost skipped Toon Town, I am glad we didn't because thankfully for me, other then the ride, there wasn't any Roger Rabbit!
    Yaye!

If I remember correctly, the downtown area of Toontown (where the city buildings and the Roger Rabbit ride are) is supposed to be based off the Toontown in the movie. However, the rest of Toontown (where Mickey's and all the other houses are) was created for Disneyland. If you walk between the two areas (City Hall is kind of the midpoint), you will see a tonal shift.

• Future Animator

The only references to the film are the ride and I believe there is the ACME Gag Factory on the outside of a store. Although the ACME factory was in the human world, not Toontown.

I loved the film. It gave cartoon characters some edge, but also accessible to children too. I wish there was more for it. And since Zemeckis is thinking about making Roger Rabbit 2... we may see more...

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

...for any Disney Theme Park Specials, Behind the Scenes, Making Of's, Celebrations, etc.

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    If I remember correctly, the downtown area of Toontown (where the city buildings and the Roger Rabbit ride are) is supposed to be based off the Toontown in the movie. However, the rest of Toontown (where Mickey's and all the other houses are) was created for Disneyland. If you walk between the two areas (City Hall is kind of the midpoint), you will see a tonal shift.
    Thanks! That's what I've noticed, but I wasn't sure if it was actually meant to resemble the movie's style of the town or not.

Quote Originally Posted by jcman3777 View Post
    The only references to the film are the ride and I believe there is the ACME Gag Factory on the outside of a store. Although the ACME factory was in the human world, not Toontown.

I loved the film. It gave cartoon characters some edge, but also accessible to children too. I wish there was more for it. And since Zemeckis is thinking about making Roger Rabbit 2... we may see more...
    Yeah, I always thought ACME was like the film, but I wasn't sure if that was intentional or coincidental.

I love the film, too. I'm watching it right now, and I remember how much I like it. Though it's in partnership with another company, I think it's a great example of Disney because it appeals to all audiences, and doesn't just paint the characters without personalities, character, or make them seem perfect with no lessons to learn or mistakes to be made, so the characters are actually humorous, likable, and a bit mischievous, like the classic Mickey Mouse.

And, yes, sorry to go off-topic, but I heard a sequel is now unofficially planned, which is looking for a release date of about 2012 at the moment, with Roger Rabbit and the traditional cartoon characters from the original in classic 2-D, and the rest motion-capture ones.

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Mickey's Toontown is divided by "Mickey's Neighborhood" and "Downtown Toontown".

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Parking Lot > DCA

If I had to guess I would say that it was just a fitting place to put the ride in the park, & the names are just coincidental.

• Ground Ctrl to Major Tom

I don't think they have anything to do with each other really... Indiana Jones isn't even a Disney Franchise, and neither is Star Wars... yet they have an attraction in the park. (good ones too)

On a slightly different subject... How cool would it be if half of Toon Town was painted black and white? and they had Steam Boat Willie and everything.
    Disneyland ScAP member Aug2009-Aug2010

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I don't like Toontown because it's more like the classic Warner Bros cartoons than the classic Disney cartoons.

Case in point --Acme.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I don't like Toontown because it's more like the classic Warner Bros cartoons than the classic Disney cartoons.

Case in point --Acme.
    Well, I guess it didn't help the fact that the film was a mixture of Disney, WB and others.

At any rate, the only relation to the film in Mickey's Toontown is the right side with Cartoon Spin. Since the transition is noticable after you pass MTT's City Hall

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Circle of Ancients

I don't find an issue with the theme of Toontown, the problem is with the execution. It could be so much more awesome if they added a few more attractions and less playgrounds.

• Can Only Wish For More!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I don't find an issue with the theme of Toontown, the problem is with the execution. It could be so much more awesome if they added a few more attractions and less playgrounds.
    Also, if they moved it to DCA's Hollywoodland area!
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• Pongo is my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

Gregg, why are you always right?!

I have a legal question. Can Six Flags build a Roger Rabbit attraction since it features Looney Toons characters?

one hundred and one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast