Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Every Day is for Disney

Need advice for AP please!

We live in Phoenix and are thinking about getting AP for our family of 4, 2 adults, 2 kids. So I need some advice and have some questions about the best way to do this. Originally I was thinking of getting all 4 of us the PAP, but now I'm wondering if it would be smart to get just one PAP and the other 3 regular, sorry I don't know what to call it. Is it worth the extra money to not have blackout dates? Do you buy them in advance and they're good for a year from the first visit? Or is it a year from date of purchase? So here is the plan. We LOVE Disneyland at Christmas, so we'd like to go twice at that time of year. So we plan to go 1-2 weeks before Christmas 2010, spring 2011 (once or twice), a few times in the summer, fall break (for Halloween), and then make it back for Christmas 2011 before they expire. Does Disneyland have the Halloween and Christmas parties like I've heard of in WDW? Are there any other really good times of year to go? Sorry, this is all totally new for us! Typically we only get every other year or so.

Re: Need advice for AP please!

How often do you visit the parks? The answer to this question should sway you to which AP to get. Here is a current list of amenities that are included with each AP, as well as which blackout dates are given to each. It really depends on when you decide to go. The cheaper you go, the less chance you have to get to go during peak times and holidays and more blackout dates (as well as no weekends except Friday for the cheapest AP). The date you go in and activate your AP is the expiration date for the next year (ex: If you were to buy one today, the expiration would be 1/13/2011). Also check to see if you can get parking on one of your passes (if you decide not to get premium passes. I'm not 100% sure if its a So. Cal resident thing to do this since I have it on my and only have So. Cal Select APs). DCA does now have Mickey's Halloween Party and the park is decked out pretty for the holidays. So it really just depends on what you want to do in the year and how often you'll go.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Just be aware that APs are NOT TRANSFERABLE and HAVE PICTURE ID ON THEM so if you bought 1 PAP only the one person who that is bought for could use it. The other three would have to be deluxe, as you are not eligible for the SoCal passes.

If I were you, I'd go with the 4 deluxe passes
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
    -PLAUGED reffering to the Winnie the Pooh ride...

• Minion

I know of others who have one family member with the Premium for the free parking and better discounts and the rest with Deluxe to save money. You just have to weigh your situation: can you live with the block-out days of the Deluxe and are you going to go enough to make one Premium worth while (is the difference between the Deluxe and Premium more or less than what you would spend on parking plus the 10% merchandise discount and 15% food discount instead of 10% with deluxe).

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
    I know of others who have one family member with the Premium for the free parking and better discounts and the rest with Deluxe to save money. You just have to weigh your situation: can you live with the block-out days of the Deluxe and are you going to go enough to make one Premium worth while (is the difference between the Deluxe and Premium more or less than what you would spend on parking plus the 10% merchandise discount and 15% food discount instead of 10% with deluxe).
    I have a premium and I feel like it only pays itself off if you go a LOT.
    Enough to benefit from the free parking and the added 5% savings.
    Because realistically, I never go on the Deluxe black out dates anyway... they're blacked out for a reason (usually the busiest days of the year).
    So if you leave in Arizona, I'd say the Deluxe would be a better buy, then just add parking onto one of the passes.

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by LRZone View Post
    We live in Phoenix and are thinking about getting AP for our family of 4, 2 adults, 2 kids. So I need some advice and have some questions about the best way to do this. Originally I was thinking of getting all 4 of us the PAP, but now I'm wondering if it would be smart to get just one PAP and the other 3 regular, sorry I don't know what to call it. Is it worth the extra money to not have blackout dates? Do you buy them in advance and they're good for a year from the first visit? Or is it a year from date of purchase? So here is the plan. We LOVE Disneyland at Christmas, so we'd like to go twice at that time of year. So we plan to go 1-2 weeks before Christmas 2010, spring 2011 (once or twice), a few times in the summer, fall break (for Halloween), and then make it back for Christmas 2011 before they expire. Does Disneyland have the Halloween and Christmas parties like I've heard of in WDW? Are there any other really good times of year to go? Sorry, this is all totally new for us! Typically we only get every other year or so.
    If you want to make it for two Christmas Seasons.
    Buy the pass the day you go (expires 1 year from purchase, not entry).
    Also, if you get deluxe, make sure you are aware of blocked out dates.
    Generally the last two weeks of Dec. are blocked out for deluxe passes.
    Christmas 2011 you'll just have to go a week prior to your pass expire.
    Don't forget, pass prices just got raised (again...w/in 6 months). Wouldn't be shocked it happens before next Christmas (again).

If you only plan to go Christmas 2010, Spring 2011 and Christmas 2011
    I would just buy the Deluxe (unless you plan to go when Deluxe is blocked and then Prem is a better deal than paying the $45 blocked fee for each person, each day). Someone also posted (another post) that PAP discounts are going back down to 10% (didn't know this, nor sure where that information came from---I would contact Disney to verify it 1-714-781-4546<---passholder hotline).
    Last edited by DLFreak71; 01-13-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

If you buy the AP online, it starts from the first day you use/activate it. You'll get an email to print out for each AP. Take that to the turnstiles. The CM will give you what looks and acts like a parkhopper. You can use it all day, just make sure to take it to the AP processing center well before closing to processs your AP. HTH!

Thank you all so much!!! I'm thinking we'll probably go at least 6 times if we can get the kids out of school. And that is my thinking too...we hardly ever have gone on Saturdays because it is so crowded, same with probably any of the Deluxe blackout dates. We are looking at buying the passes soon, especially if prices could be going up again before we go in December.

It is my experience that Saturdays tend to be good days to go. Sundays are the most crowded because of the So Cal passes. Just my 5 cents. I love my premium pass.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

you are at the cut line for get a AP.

If you more then 6 time I wold say buy the Deluxe pass with one parking upgrade.

If you like the High discount then buy one PAP Free parking.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

You know, I have a feeling that my 6 day estimate was misleading...we don't go for 6 DAYS, we go for 6 TRIPS!!! Usually each trip is 5 days, but if we get an AP then we might do more 3-4 day trips. Or maybe even a 1-2 day if we're in CA for something else. My daughter likely will have a gymnastics meet at least once next year too and we could maybe make that a long weekend too, so the plan is to make at least 5-6 different trips and stay for probably 3-4 days each. I'm not worried about breaking even, but now I'm wondering if Saturdays are better?!?! We always avoided them like the plague, but last year when we went Sun-Thurs, Sun/Mon were the worst we'd ever seen!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

The benefit of the Premium is No blockouts and Parking. It makes little sense to have everyone in your family with parking. I'd buy 3 deluxe and one premium that will included parking.

Check the Block out dates at Disneyland.com That should give you an idea of which pass to buy. Another consideration is, how much do you spend at the resort? If you buy a lot of food, souvenirs, etc. the Premium pass may be the way to go. If you buy the Deluxe Pass, you can always upgrade to Premium at a later date.

If you purchase your passes online, you print a form to take to Disneyland. You have a certain amount of time, it will say how long on the form, to take the form to the resort. Your passes are good for one year from the day of your first visit. Example, if you purchased your passes today and went to Disneyland on June 1, your passes would be good until June 1, 2011.

There may be recent changes to any of this. The most current information will be displayed when you purchase your passes. Good luck!

• Achieving epicness.

My wife and I both have PAP's for a few reasons. There's times we go during the weeks, and depending on my rotation we might be constricted to weekends on occasion so having the ability to just go when we get a chance is a lot easier to deal with. Plus if my Wife wants to go with family and I can't, we don't have to worry about anything.

Aside from that, we get free parking, so if we go with friends or family we split up the cars so we don't have to pay in either, then aside from that the food/merch discounts add up quick.

Desires should not be hindered, no matter how difficult life might appear to be.
    If you fail, don't cease; keep going, keep trying.
    Giving up is never an option.

The only thing i can say about the AP's is really to check the blackout days because for me at least the AP is backwards in thinking. Instead of making the cheapest pass only available on the worst days they make it the best days, best as in the least crowded time at the park. Somehow someone at Disney got this all backwards but beacause of it i buy the cheap pass, i'm not really enticed to pay more to go on the busy days for some reason. Slowest days at park are middle of week, off season, not on holidays and these are the days cheap pass is for, so cheap pass equals WIN/Win

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast