Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Should we get Rid of Matterhorn for Expedition Everest: poll and video

I'm all for improving the Matterhorn but don't take it out, it would be like the castle being taken out.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

No just because of the nostalgia.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Dream in wonderful color!

No way. The Matterhorn stays!
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Down Pluto!

Yeah! Leave Walt's weenies alone!

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Parking Lot > DCA

bahaha this is a joke, right?

Can we keep the Matterhorn but install new track and improved vehicles?

Nah.......makes too much sense.

• Future Princess

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Wait is this serious?
    That was my initial reaction!
    "...Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."

• Banned User

I love Everest (even with the Yeti in B mode) but I wouldn't want them to replace Matterhorn. I much prefer unique offerings at either resort.

As for the roughness, Matterhorn is scheduled for a refurb from Feb. 1-Mar. 11, so presumably it will be smoother upon reopening.

YES!!!!! Get rid of the Matterhorn!

• Future Princess

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    I love Everest (even with the Yeti in B mode) but I wouldn't want them to replace Matterhorn. I much prefer unique offerings at either resort.

As for the roughness, Matterhorn is scheduled for a refurb from Feb. 1-Mar. 11, so presumably it will be smoother upon reopening.
    Has that refurb been confirmed? I'd love to see the ride smoothed out a little, especially for slightly older guests
    "...Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."

• The pride is back.

I was last at WDW in early 2005, when EE was being built, and I was jealous then - became absolutely green with envy when I saw the size, design and terrifying SPEED of the Yeti AA. Someday, someday...

But trade my beloved Matterhorn? Not on your nelly. Why, you ask, do I say "no"? Because I'll always remember my first ride on it when I was six, clutched in my father's lap, long before the renovation added the ice caves and Harold, when it was just a roller coaster in a big room. I'll always remember handing over an "E" ticket to board and riding the Skyway as it cut through the mountain's center. I'll always remember taking my wife on it for the first time. And I'll always remember my most recent ride, a few months ago, when my cane wedged between the interior of the bobsled and my hip, giving me a nice souvenir bruise. This makes me sound like an old man - I'm just a handicapped 40 - but I plan to be around for the Matterhorn to shake my dentures loose when I'm 90 and Walt's beloved mountain hits the century mark.

Call me a nostalgic fool - go ahead. I'll admit it. It's Disneyland, after all.

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

I haven't ridden on Everest (or been to the Flordia resort for that matter) but from what I've seen it looks like an awesome coaster.
    Would I trade it for my precious Matterhorn? Never.
    Its nostalgic, its iconic, and its something that makes Disneyland unique compared to the rest of the parks. And I think it was Datameister who said its something people look for while they're on the freeway (I know I do when I'm coming down there for a trip).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Thumbs down Re: Should we get Rid of Matterhorn for Expedition Everest: poll and video

No.

1) The Matterhorn is the first Disney "Mountain", and the first tubular steel roller coaster. This is serious legacy here.

2) Expedition Everest is great in it's current location, and I think individual parks deserve to have their own individual attractions. While Expedition Everest is clearly inspired from the Matterhorn, it's a different attraction in its own right. WDW barely gets anything nowadays as it is. Replicating this attraction at DL would seriously cut down it's mojo.

3) There is no room for it, and it would be a massive waste of money to try to destroy the Matterhorn and then replace it with another concrete mountain.

4) As a previous poster identified, the Matterhorn is a very European-looking mountain...Expedition Everest's mountain works for Asia. Harold works for Fantasyland, the Yeti works for Asia.

5) This is very important...as this was the first roller coaster at Disneyland, it was also an attraction that kids could ride. Back in Walt's day, the Matterhorn did not have a height requirement...obviously babies couldn't ride, but you know what I mean. It was family friendly. Today, if you notice, the height requirement for the Matterhorn is not as high as any of the other thrill rides.

6) The Matterhorn has two tracks, and you can "race" each other. That's pretty cool, if you ask me.

As for the roughness of the ride...Bob Gurr, the Imagineer who designed this attraction, actually came onto this very forum a while back during a heated discussion about the Matterhorn and it's roughness. Some argued that it was to capture the feeling of riding in a bobsled or something else...he finally cleared things up and said that he was told to just fit two tracks into the mountain Walt wanted somehow, so that's what he did.

If you honestly want to rip out an attraction because of how rough it is, I have to ask - are you also interested in ripping out Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye in favor of, say, EuroDisney's Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril? I mean, hey, it's a roller coaster, it would obviously be a "smoother ride"...and that's what makes one attraction better over another, right?

Honestly, if you don't like the bumpiness of something, don't ride it. Some people like the thrill of being thrashed around...although I will say, I wish Disney would cushion the bobselds a little bit more because of that...

Very interesting all the NO's

Fist off it was we'll themed and it did a great job hiding the horrible looking steel risers for the skyway ride which you can see the holes in the Matterhorn where they went right thru. Second huge icon you could see from frwy's.

I really wonder now if Walt would have kept the Matterhorn after it needed its big refurb? I think he would have knocked it down if he had another Mntn rollercoaster that was better than the original, maybe he would have added a new hub even and put something totally different there.

I love the old rides amd love the Matterhorn but really Walt wanted the park fresh and to change things out when he had something better to replace it with.

Very few rides have not replaced another beloved ride, sometimes there better but alot of times they suck, I'll never get over The Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland, Big Thunder does nothing for me, its slow and boring but how many of you people like it, lots i bet, thats progress and thats what walt wanted.

I say YES, knock that sucker down but let me ride and film it one more time first and while your at it let it fall into the sub attraction, wanted to cross that sucker off for years.

Let's keep what needs to be kept and change what needs to be changed to keep the park fresh and up to date to some extent. Stay true to the hubs and give people a reason to come to the park like it used to be before the AP passes, i'd rather have a $65.00 experience than a $7.00 one.
    Last edited by BFG3dfx; 01-15-2010 at 02:22 AM.

I say keep Matterhorn get more padding in the seats. OY. Hurts the derriere.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast