Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• The Original LOST BOY

Re: Should we get Rid of Matterhorn for Expedition Everest: poll and video

no. Matterhorn was the first steel tube roller coaster in the world. it's historical. keep it the same.

why does everybody always want to make DISNEYLAND into DISNEYWORLD?

it doesnt make sense to me.
    The Original LOST BOY

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by BFG3dfx View Post
    I love the old rides amd love the Matterhorn but really Walt wanted the park fresh and to change things out when he had something better to replace it with.
    Walt also never saw the park live past its preteen years, and he viewed the place from the POV of a middle-aged designer and businessman - not from the POV of a guest who'd been visiting Disneyland for longer than they could remember. I'm not trying to say he didn't value his own people's work, but it's inevitable that he wasn't quite going to feel the same sort of sentimentality now felt by folks with a long history of visiting a park that's now been around for over half a century. Changing things up is not a bad thing, not at all - in moderation.

Very few rides have not replaced another beloved ride, sometimes there better but alot of times they suck
    Now that is an interesting argument. I'll start with some counterexamples:

* Pirates of the Caribbean
    * The Haunted Mansion
    * Country Bear Jamboree
    * Splash Mountain
    * anything in Toontown
    * Indiana Jones Adventure
    * anything in DCA - unless you count the parking lot, and some do
    * anything still there from opening day (Jungle Cruise, Mr. Toad, etc.)

But more to the point...does it matter? Is your argument really that since some great rides have been replaced by others, the Matterhorn should also be replaced? I don't see the logic in that, to be honest.

Let's keep what needs to be kept and change what needs to be changed to keep the park fresh and up to date to some extent.
    Since the lines for the Matterhorn frequently wrap around quite a bit to this day, I think you need to make a case for why the attraction "needs to be changed to keep the park fresh and up to date." What about makes it so useless to the public that the whole thing should be replaced with another excellent but ultimately very similar attraction?
    Last edited by Datameister; 01-15-2010 at 09:25 AM.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Here's another question to ponder: Rather than cloning Everest, would it be more acceptable to replace the Matterhorn with a completely rebuilt updated version with a smoother track, better effects, and more detail--but lose the historical significance?

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

Sorry...but I have to say NO...this ride is the one ride that is really unique to Disneyland and I wouldn't trade it in for any other ride. I don't care if it is not as "thrilling" as EE, but it is a classic that can NOT be replaced at all!!
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• Banned User

I've never been on the Matterhorn. However, I've been on Expedition Everest several times, and I have to say that, overall, it's a major failure. Yes, it's got a nice ambience. Yes, it's got a smooth ride, and it look pretty. But the Yeti, which is supposed to be a highlight of the ride, can barely be seen. And that's pathetic. The Imagineers built this huge Yeti AA, which, when it works, is impressive, but it breaks down constantly and the most I ever saw of it on the ride was a pair of glowing red eyes. That's it. The only reason I have any idea of what the Yeti looks like is because of a special I saw on the Travel Channel.

Surely a ride like that isn't a major improvement on the Matterhorn..?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Here's another question to ponder: Rather than cloning Everest, would it be more acceptable to replace the Matterhorn with a completely rebuilt updated version with a smoother track, better effects, and more detail--but lose the historical significance?
    Having never ridden the Matterhorn, I can't say what improvements it needs...but your suggestion seems right in line with what Walt would do. He wanted the parks to grow and change, not become museums. I bet he'd have no issue with updating the Matterhorn.

• The Original LOST BOY

what WALT would want is for his guests to be happy.

you have to understand that DISNEYLAND is a part of peoples lives now. part of peoples families.

it wasnt like this when walt was alive as much as it is today. they need to leave DL alone.... finish DCA & if they STILL want to do something, plan a 3rd gate in like 2030 or something.
    The Original LOST BOY

Expedition Everest does seem like an excellent addition, however, to replace a classic like the Matterhorn would not be worth it. It is one of the only rides that Disneyland is the sloe owner of. It should stay that way too.

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

I thought Expedition Everest as a coaster was the only thing as lame as Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Studios Hollywood. Sure, it had a great looking queue, and the mountain looks great from a distance, but it was about as thrilling as Goofy's Barnstormer. As for "roughness"- Matterhorn Bobsleds doesn't even show up on my radar as a particularly rough coaster, but you can't ride like a freakin' ragdoll- there's these wonderful things called handgrips, and muscles in your arms that you can tense up and keep yourself relatively upright when the ride starts showing off it's wonderful lateral forces.
    See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by BFG3dfx View Post
    I love the old rides amd love the Matterhorn but really Walt wanted the park fresh and to change things out when he had something better to replace it with.
    Walt would probably not get rid of the Matterhorn. He was a fan of the real peak--which is why a scale model of it is in DL.

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

I've never enjoyed the Matterhorn () and would take a ride on Everest over it any day, but because of its historical importance, I wouldn't replace it.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Better effects and more detail would be a no-brainer, as long as they were well-executed elements that enhanced the experience rather than distracting from, confusing, or worsening the experience. Replacing the track would be a little more controversial, I think, since that is the physical part of the attraction that's so groundbreaking and historical in the theme/amusement park industry. I'm kind of split on that issue. I wouldn't raise a huge ruckus if it happened, in any case. But it'd still certainly preferable to replacing it with Expedition Everest, mind you. Everest, awesome as it surely is, simply does not fit in Disneyland, literally or figuratively speaking.

• Minion

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

My reason for saying no, is, pure and simple, the ride of Everest isn't as good as the Matterhorn. Is this partly nostalgia? Of course. But Everest, as technologically advanced as it is, and it has a awesome queue and detailing, falls prey to the "Oh no something goes horribly wrong!" kind of storyline device, which I am finding a bit tired with Disney myself.

The Matterhorn just is. The mountain looks cool from the outside, the experience of whipping through the caves and seeing the park from on high is awesome, the sound design is subtle, and the scenes with the abominable snowman are timed just right to give the ride an air of mystery and unpredictably. As awesome as the new Everest yeti is when working, it's fairly easy to tell, as a first time rider, when it's coming, and it looks like a special effect. With Harold, you whip in and out past him, it's like experiencing a real "animal" more, at an unexpected time, see it for a second, and you're on to the next thing. Everest is structured far more like a story, not an experience, which makes it more unrealistic I feel.

Actually, thinking like this....might set the difference apart in "old" Disney and "new". Old e-tickets, like Pirates, Mansion, Big Thunder, Space, even if they have lots of characters, are like experiences rather than stories. Adding Jack Sparrow and et al to Pirates was trying to shoehorn in a story, to some extent. You look at later rides (and I like most of these) like Indy, Splash, Star Tours, etc, and it's all plotted "story, or how that comes across.

I guess I can appreciate the new attractions, certainly. The one I'd argue was more experience than story was Alien Encounter, even though it had a logistical set up to it, as to why you were there, the teleporter, etc. But in the end, I prefer the experience of visiting a haunted manor home on the outskirts of New Orleans or whipping through a Swiss mountain's ice caves then being involved in a rigid story with beginning, middle, and end about a yeti on Mount Everest and missing explorers. The Matterhorn just shows you abandoned expedition crates inside the mountain at one point, Everest talks about the missing hikers and such throughout the whole queue. There is a difference.
    Last edited by RegionsBeyond; 01-15-2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Spelling!
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Minion

I think if you knew the Matterhorn's history or the imapct it's had on roller coasters and themed rides, you wouldn't be suggesting it be repalced.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast