Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Disneyland History Lover

Something I heard about BTMRR

We rode Big Thunder Mountain Railroad yesterday (despite the 5 minute wait, the cold rain beating on my face wasn't so fun!). Anyhow, the ride seemed to glide pretty quick. Then later in the evening, I heard from someone that they closed it because it was moving too quickly since the tracks were wet. Has anyone heard of this happening? I surely hadn't, but I thought it was interesting.

• The Original LOST BOY

Re: Something I heard about BTMRR

when we rode saturday evening, it seemed quite a bit faster than normal & all 3 of us had mentioned it to eachother.....

it was dry then tho. so :shrug:
    The Original LOST BOY

• Pilot EdForceOne

well coasters do react differently based on the amount of friction... you may hear people talking about coasters 'warming up' when they start the day, etc.. as the grease/etc loosens up. Then with less friction, they'll go faster. Haven't heard of them overspeeding though.

I guess it's possible, but I haven't heard that about BTMRR specifically. I know at MK, its always running in the rain.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

I would assume that wet tracks can make a difference on the functionality of the ride. I really have no clue though. On a somewhat related note... does anyone know if Splash Mountain is sped up when it's cold or raining? When we were there on a rainy Saturday last month and it seemed to go really fast.

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

That's interesting, I wouldn't think the rain would affect the track.
    Yaye!

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

My friends been evac'd off of BTMRR during the rain for this reason.

• I'm not really here

Hmm... I have to say this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say about any coaster that wet tracks made it go enough faster that they had to shut it down.

Certainly water on the tracks would decrease the friction between the wheels and track surface, but...

1) The tracks are round which would make water run off the tracks pretty quickly leaving only a thin film.

2) The wheels only touch the tracks for a few inches and only at the very bottom point of the wheels (where the round wheel meets the round track). The amount of surface area actually in contact with the track at any given moment is incredibly small.

3) #2 coupled with the weight of the train would mean that the wheels would simply push aside any water that was there and be in contact with the track itself.

Slippage due to water seems highly unlikely with BTMRR. I guess it is a possibility, but it was more likely because the rain was ruining the experience of the ride for the guests.

As to why it would feel faster in the rain if it isn't actually going faster:

1) Under normal circumstances you get a breeze in your face from riding. Throw the wind from a storm in there and that wind seems faster than you are used to. Your mind takes this and says, "aha, the ride must be going faster."

2) On top of the wind, you now have raindrops hitting you in the face. This is yet another physical indication of speed that your brain takes and says "hey, we're going really fast now!"

A wooden coaster where the track surface is flat and the wheels are flat (viewed front on) I can see as having some issues with this, a tubular steel coaster, not so much.

It certainly wouldn't affect breaking at all as the wheels have nothing to do with breaking the train.

I guess it is possibly though. I just have never heard of anything like this.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

BTMRR was having huge closing troubles when I went in July. It wasn't raining, but it was closed every night and the CM's gave simmiler sounding reasons as to why.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Could be because the trains are running too fast for the brakes to grab them with the right amount friction (which is less because of the rain).

Hrm. Sounds like it might need to go down for repairs soon.

• Banned User

I supose it's the safer way to go, the brakes probably get too wet and they can't work the way they're supposed to

Aren't the brakes electromagnets?

I've heard that the tracks warm up allowing the grease to be more sleek during dry afternoons.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    We rode Big Thunder Mountain Railroad yesterday (despite the 5 minute wait,...
    I'm guessing this is sarcasm?
    5 minutes is nothing.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Disneyland History Lover

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    I'm guessing this is sarcasm?
    5 minutes is nothing.
    It's not sarcasm, no. I think you're interpreting it the opposite of how I meant it, though. In other words, even though the ride was only a five minute wait, that fact was hampered by the brutal wetness that accompanied riding.

• Yeah.....

For anyone still wondering about the OP's observation, check out 1:40 in this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m4JwUkJwGI&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m4JwUkJwGI&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast