Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Future Animator

Mater's Junkyard Jamboree

Ok... I have tried to figure this out for a long time now...

What the heck is the type of ride system for Mater's Junkyard Jamboree? Is it a bunch of tractors acting like those electric bull rides? (You know, the ones that you can find at fair grounds and sometimes in cowboy-style clubs?) All I've managed to understand of the ride system is that it spins like Mad Tea Party but is on a track. (Info from here) Spinning on track? Like Roger Rabbit?

Enlighten me, please.

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

...for any Disney Theme Park Specials, Behind the Scenes, Making Of's, Celebrations, etc.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Re: Mater's Junkyard Jamboree

From what I understand it is a car pulled along a track that is able to spin around an axis set in front of the car. What I mean by that is the tractor which is pulling you will be connected to the track towing the riders in a second car. This set-up makes it able for the passenger car to swing from side to side (possibly like drifting?).

I'm not sure of any ability for the car to "buck" so to speak, but it is not unreasonable to assume that the car might have some enhanced motion abilities. I'm sure someone else can better expand on this, or correct it.

• Senior Minion

A while ago Ride Warrior suggested it might be a Mega Whip based attraction. You can see his thread below. If it's not this ride system it's something very simmilar.

Tow Mater's Junkyard Jubilee May Boast Unique and Unexpected FlatRide System

• MICKEY MOUSE IS MINE :)

I tjink they are bringing the flying sausers back,
    What?!?! Birth By Sleep is only coming out on the PSP?!?! It's the end of the world!!!

• The Original LOST BOY

they are, but thats a different ride
    The Original LOST BOY

• Future Animator

Thanks for leading me to the correct thread, Uncle Bob. A lot of great stuff on there.

Mater's Junkyard Jamboree is gonna be spectacular.

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

...for any Disney Theme Park Specials, Behind the Scenes, Making Of's, Celebrations, etc.

• Lion

While it would be nice for it to be something new, I get the feeling that they might simply go with an elaborate "figure 8" type attraction like Ladybug Boogie only bigger. The fact that they haven't said anything about it is what gives me pause. They've made it clear that Luigi's is going to be a new version of the flying saucers, and they've shown a lot of developmental models and even pre-vis of RSR, but little to nothing from Mater's other than a few blurry versions of very early concept art. I think if they were planning something that was a little less "off the shelf" they would be hyping it to at least some degree at some point, but they've said little to nothing about what type of ride it's going to be. Hence my suspicion that it's going to be a fancy figure 8.

• A Malice in Wonderland...

Yeah, it looks the MJJ will actually be new and exciting. Way to go Disney... and Gordon

• Dream in wonderful color!

from the LAtimes Blog -

The racket begins before you even board the spinning tractor and cart ride. A play area near the main entrance will feature an interactive junkyard of bangable hubcaps and honkable horns.
    Tow Mater, the rusty good ol’ boy tow truck from the animated “Cars” movie, serves as the “Hee Haw”-esque disc jockey for the whipsaw C-ticket. Riders sit in a cart towed by a tractor that spins through Mater’s junkyard. Imagine Disneyland’s Mad Tea Party on a track and you get the general brain-blending idea.

According to Disney storyboards, along the route riders will encounter:
    * Magnetized crane
    * Junked auto tunnel
    * Battery sparker
    * Leaning shack
    * Tire arch
    * Engine steam and smoke

Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree joins Luigi’s Roamin’ Tires levitating bumper cars and the $200-million Radiator Springs Racers thrill ride in the 12-acre Cars Land opening in summer 2012.
    sounds fun!

the first picture of WDW's new FL expansion was revealed today, and it looks like a similar ride will be built there, except it will feature a Tinkerbell/fairy theme.
    Last edited by nonob88; 01-20-2010 at 02:36 PM.
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    While it would be nice for it to be something new, I get the feeling that they might simply go with an elaborate "figure 8" type attraction like Ladybug Boogie only bigger. The fact that they haven't said anything about it is what gives me pause. They've made it clear that Luigi's is going to be a new version of the flying saucers, and they've shown a lot of developmental models and even pre-vis of RSR, but little to nothing from Mater's other than a few blurry versions of very early concept art. I think if they were planning something that was a little less "off the shelf" they would be hyping it to at least some degree at some point, but they've said little to nothing about what type of ride it's going to be. Hence my suspicion that it's going to be a fancy figure 8.
    That's what I recall seeing. Kind of a "figure 16" (fig 8 + fig 8), Apparently, it'll be a series of the movie tractors (tractor tipping) towing trailers (the actual ride vehicles) that will be whipping through the "figure 16". As it will indeed be a super Ladybug Boogie, I don't see how they will be able to do a lot of what they show in the rendering (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_drDj5ofmKh...d+jamboree.jpg). So the actual show elements are still a mystery.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsf_hqAfRFc&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Blue Sky Cellar, Entrance Video (Full video)[/ame]

At 1:47 in that video, the ride vehicle is being tested.

I am now excited about this ride. I thought it was not going to be that good of a ride but from the looks of it they are trying to do their best to make it a new and exciting attraction

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus Carter View Post
    YouTube - Blue Sky Cellar, Entrance Video (Full video)

At 1:47 in that video, the ride vehicle is being tested.
    I'm usually not a pessimistic person, but I think that was a long time ago when Carsland was in the really, really early stages before they even greenlit the project. The same goes for that concept art posted. I believe that article from the LA Times blog was based on that very piece of concept art, as well as the video. The concept art is such a preliminary sketch that I think they eventually abandoned what would turn out to be too expensive of an attraction for a "c-ticket" and decided to go with something more off-the-shelf and a lot cheaper. Not that the figure 8 (or figure 8x2) is going to be awful - on the contrary it looks like those sorts of rides can be good fun - but don't be too shocked if they don't build the more original type attraction in some of the early concept art.

Again, I just keep coming back to the fact that aside from those really old (early 2008 - almost two years ago, if not even earlier than that) sketches, we have absolutely nothing recent indicating what Mater's attraction will look like. I actually think that the concept art posted above was released at the same time as those overall-DCA concept sketches that showed a re-themed Condor Flats to fit in with Grizzly Peak. It was more blue sky stuff than "here's what we've decided to do" type stuff.

Even at the D23 Expo, info on Mater's attraction was conspicuously absent. They had a TON on RSR (which is understandable given that it's the centerpiece) but not even a shred on Mater's. Even Luigi's has gotten some press via John Lasseter talking about the new technology that will improve on the old DL Flying Saucers. But the Mater attraction hasn't been spoken of in any sort of way with regard to innovation, technology, or even spoken/seen of since those early sketches. So they're either going to knock our socks off with a first-of-its-kind open air dark ride, or they're keeping mum becuase it's an off-the-shelf figure 8/16, albeit a fairly advanced one.

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    the first picture of WDW's new FL expansion was revealed today, and it looks like a similar ride will be built there, except it will feature a Tinkerbell/fairy theme.
    That attraction is quite clearly the "advanced" figure 8 attraction that's been discussed, and what I believe the Mater attraction will be. In fact, seeing that model for WDW's Fantasyland makes me even more convinced that's what the Mater attraction will be. I've blown up the image, and also included a close-up of the ride vehicle, which is quite clearly similar to the "tractor pulling a carriage" type vehicle that you'd see on Mater's attraction.

Now, it's possible that the vehicles themselves will be something of a "whip" style where the part you sit in does whip around a bit (sort of like a tilt-a-whirl), which would create an added layer of excitement. All this is just speculation on my part, but at this point in time I'm distinctly doubting that the ride system will have any sort of track layout attraction produced by Gordon Rides as seen in the thread linked to in post #3.

• Dream in wonderful color!

Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    The concept art is such a preliminary sketch that I think they eventually abandoned what would turn out to be too expensive of an attraction for a "c-ticket" and decided to go with something more off-the-shelf and a lot cheaper.
    and you're basing this off what? just a gut feeling? I don't expect Disney to hype up this ride, they're focusing on the big-budget attractions like TLM, RSR, and WoC. Besides, Cars Land will be one of the last projects to open up so they still have plenty of time to talk about all the stuff that will be going in it. I don't see any reason for them to abandon the initial ride concept (especially after we've seen concept art and sketches, ride vehicle mockups and testing, models, etc.)
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast