Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Munchings & Crunchings

Re: Dave Avanzino Icon Letters Series

You know what, they had a photo up of the New Orleans Square one a while ago (wish I'd saved it), but then yanked it mysteriously. Now they put a photo back up, and it's changed.

The old version had as the "O" in "Orleans" the club 33 sign. Now, the new updated picture replaced that with the Disney Gallery sign. I wonder why the change? If you're reading, Dave, are you able to clue us in to the reason for change? Personally, I thought the Club 33 sign looked a bit more elegant and the replacement, not so much.

It's still the one I'm looking forward to most though, and I can't wait for it's release.

• Banned User

I just bought the Critter Country one. Very Cool! I can't wait for the New Orleans though. The Toontown is a little crammed and messy looking.

• Banned User

• /sigh

Hmm..... not as eye-popping as I'd hope NOS would be.....
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

Hello again.
    I just wanted to weigh in on the question by "gurgi" regarding the change to New Orleans Square. I did have to make a change after it was discovered that the Club 33 logo could not be used by merchandise for products. We didn't verify this in the early stages and wound up having to make the change after production had started (and the photo was posted). Oops! I was happy with the changes and think that the Gallery got a much better feature than they had in the original artwork.

These pieces have been fun to create and I have favorites among them myself. Both New Orleans Square and Mickey's ToonTown presented challenges the other lands didn't have. This resulted in them looking a little different from the other pieces. I don't expect everyone to like all of them equally. I do hope you like them enough to complete your set if that is your plan.

Thanks to all of you who have said such nice things about my work. It really means a lot to me.

Sincerely,
    Dave Avanzino

• Closed Account

I'm off to Disneyland to complete my set! Thanks for everthing!

• Munchings & Crunchings

Thanks, Dave, for answering my question! I only wish I had saved a photo of the original version of New Orleans Square!! I had no idea that the Club 33 logo could not be used by merchandise. Does the club produce it's own merch then? I've seen lots of logo stuff, but only sold through there, so I guess that must be the case.

As for the way Toontown and New Orleans Square look, I wondered how you would get that much lettering into the same size frame. I like what you came up with, and will (eventually) have the whole set. I've been wanting that New Orleans Square one for a while though, because I had already devoted a section of my wall to a New Orleans theme anyway, and it will fit perfectly there. I also LOVE the background color on it, and it's funny that it ties into the colors already in place where the piece will go!

So, thank you so much for the work you put into this lettter series, and for posting here to keep us up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by davanzino
    Hello again.
    I just wanted to weigh in on the question by "gurgi" regarding the change to New Orleans Square. I did have to make a change after it was discovered that the Club 33 logo could not be used by merchandise for products. We didn't verify this in the early stages and wound up having to make the change after production had started (and the photo was posted). Oops! I was happy with the changes and think that the Gallery got a much better feature than they had in the original artwork.

These pieces have been fun to create and I have favorites among them myself. Both New Orleans Square and Mickey's ToonTown presented challenges the other lands didn't have. This resulted in them looking a little different from the other pieces. I don't expect everyone to like all of them equally. I do hope you like them enough to complete your set if that is your plan.

Thanks to all of you who have said such nice things about my work. It really means a lot to me.

Sincerely,
    Dave Avanzino

• Banned User

They are ridiculous in price.

• Munchings & Crunchings

At $75 each, I'd say that they really aren't that bad compared to other collectibles.

• Banned User

Anything like this icon series priced at 75 dollars in Disneyana is a pretty good deal.

• With my wife....

Out of the new three, I think the Critter Country piece is my favorite, probably because it matches with the others so well. I also really like the candleabra "W" in New Orleans... what a nice touch! On the whole, it's another really nice piece.

I'll mirror what others have said, though: the Toontown one is definitely going to be my least favorite of the series. Personally, I'd like to have seen it without the "Mickey's" part... just fill up the box with "Toontown", but I understand that it's probably how DIS wanted it, so what can you do, right?

Dave, thanks for taking the time to make such a GREAT set of collectibles. We have all of the original 6, and we're planning to complete our collection as soon as we're able to.

And I'd have to agree that $75 is an excellent price-point for such nice pieces!
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

• Better Butter Battle Vic

Blog Entries

I found the shadow boxes for tommorrowland, frontierland, fantasyland, mainstreet and adventureland at the Disney Character Outlet a few weeks ago, when they first got them in they were selling the whole set for $140, after an immediate sell out they've been upping the prices everyweek. I unfourtunatley did not buy adventureland and fantasyland until two weeks ago and they had gone up to $35 each. I called today to reserve the others and they've upped the price again to $65. I guess they didn't realize what they had that first week, I wish I'd bought the set then, it's a beautiful series.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Oh wow! I sure wish I had a Character Outlet near me!!! I'd kill to get that many pieces for so cheap. Oh well, I'll just have to keep buying them one at a time...slowly.

• Disney Geekstrordinaire

I will finally be starting my collection, I have been salivating over these for a while now and finally jumping in.
    Go make a life, not a living.

• Banned User

I just bought the Toontown on Sunday and it actually isn't as bad looking as it does in the picture. A friend of mine actually thought it was the "cutest" in the series so far. Hopefully I will be able to post a picture of my collection soon. Waiting on NOS...my FAVORITE!

I can imagine that NOS will be released soon because it seems that Toontown came short of a month later.
    Last edited by DisneyMickey; 08-07-2006 at 07:58 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast