Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red Face Comparing Pirates Of The Caribbean first drop to other ride drops

Hi there...
    I'm new to Mice Chat and I saw the thread below about the drop on POTC and nearly replied there, but thought I should make a fresh thread, since it's slightly off topic...

So I'm one of those wussy scaredy cats who is frightened of drops--the feeling of dropping makes me feel sick. I had heard that POTC had only mild 'dips' so I convinced myself to go on it. It was ...worse than I expected..,and I was feeling slightly jelly like for a long time afterwards. (loved the rest of the ride tho) A day or two later, I talked myself into going on it again, and this time I was a little more prepared for the drop.. (This may sound funny, but if I clench my stomach I don't feel so queasy)...I went on it a third time and by the third time I didn't mind the drop (specifically referring to the first one as it is definitely longer).............All of that was before I read that POTC drop is the same length as Splash mountain-(!!!!!)-Which makes me ill just looking at the drop!!! I do understand that Splash mountain's drop is much steeper, which I;m certain makes all the difference....but, (and I'm hoping to hear from someone who is somewhat nervous of drops like me) can anybody tell me what the drop on Splash actually feels like compared to POTC?

And, for reference, I also managed to get myself on Mulholland Madness. I didn't particularly enjoy the drops, but I could handle drops as big as that if the rest of the ride made it worthwile. (for the record, I found the rest of mulholland a bit boring so probably won't bother with it again)

Also, while I was terrified going into it, I ended up LOVING INdy...the "dip' at the end doesn't seem big enough to give me any nausea. GOing fast, being thrown around and 'attacked' by fake snakes is thrilling and fun for me but not frightening like drops. Also, absolutely LOVED Soarin and Star Tours (different kind of rides completely I know)

So---Any comparisons of drops on POTC and Mulholland to other rides that I've been too scared to ride would be very much appreciated--these include Thunder mountain, the matterhorn, space mountain, Splash, and of course (tho I'm sure I will never ride them California Screamin, and TOT)
    Thoughts?

• Use your imagination...

Re: Comparing Pirates Of The Caribbean first drop to other ride drops

I would compare the drop to splash mountain the the big drop on Mullholland Madness...just a lot longer.

• Lion

Big Thunder Mountain never has any "lose your stomach" drops. Space Mountain has one that's somewhat mild, but it's in the dark and happens quite suddenly. It's a quick drop, I'd say roughly the same as Mulholland Madness' "big drop." It might last a little bit longer, but it's probably the same effect. It's mostly the fact that it comes at you out of nowhere and you drop very suddenly downward at the beginning of it.

Splash Mountain has a much more severe drop that POTC. It's the steepness mostly. Yes, Splash and POTC have roughly the same length of drop, but the angle for Splash is much steeper and is from a taller height, so you're dropping faster, steeper, and from a higher height. The drop on Splash Mountain definitely looks steeper than it really is, due to the angle from which you see it. It's still pretty steep, but not nearly as steep as it seems.

The thing with any sort of drops on attractions like these is that the more you tense up your stomach, the more you're going to feel it. If you remain loose and just "go with it" you'll feel almost nothing in your stomach. Tower of Terror is no better example of this. The more tense your body is, the more you'll get that "losing your stomach" feeling. If you just let go and just sort of float as the attraction goes up and down, that nausea inducing feeling is pretty much gone. This is easier said than done, however, if you're afraid of the drops. It's hard not to tense up, which thereby makes the sensation worse than it really is because of it.

Oh and California Screamin has basically two big drops. The first comes right after the launch. The most exciting aspect of that first drop is really the launch over the top of the hill if you're in the frontmost cars. If you're near the back, the drop itself becomes bigger. Same goes for the second drop after the lift hill. In the front it's not much of a drop, but in the back it's more exciting. I prefer the front on Screamin, however, because of the view.

Tower of Terror is probably a nightmare for people who absolutely hate drops, but I've heard from a few rare people who say that they don't mind that as much as the drops on a roller coaster. Still, I can't imagine that if you were afraid of the drop on Pirates that you'd fare very well on ToT
    Last edited by simba; 01-20-2010 at 12:10 PM.

• I'm not really here

Yes, the length of the track on the drop is the same... but the angle causes the speed at which you drop to be vastly different. It is the speed that causes that feeling in your stomach. The faster you drop the bigger that feeling is. Splash Mountain's drop is over in roughly 2 seconds. Of course because they've spent all the time going up the hill building tension (and for some anxiety) that drop can feel like it takes much longer.

I used to be terrified of drops as well (now I'm a coaster junky). I know all about the clenching the stomach thing. Another thing I discovered that worked is just screaming. Instead of channeling that anxiety into fear and holding on for dear life and squeezing your eyes shut and thinking how your gonna die... cut loose and scream and then when it's over, laugh. Get the endorphins flowing to give you a positive high. That shaky rubbery feeling after is adrenaline and it can be a good thing. It's your body putting all your senses on full alert. You got yourself used to the drop on Pirates. Ride it more. Do you hold on when you go over that drop? Get to the point where you can ride that with your hands in the air without a problem. Ride MM a few more times, get used to that sudden feeling of speed. Work your way up.

Splash's drop is over very quickly. Just do not let yourself freak out on the lift hill. Concentrate on the fact that it is over very fast. Concentrate on making some sort of funny face for the camera. Distract yourself. And when you're down the hill and on the run out from it, take a few deep breaths and laugh. Scream, cheer yourself on.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Really? The lengths of the POTC and Splash Mountain drops are the same?

EDIT: Oh, you're comparing the TOTAL drops - for Pirates, that's the combination of both drops compared to Spash's final drop?

• Banned User

Pirates is divided into two drops, so they seem "smaller", but the drop on Splash Mountain is long, and fast, but it's over really quick. You get a small dosage of air time, and you do go pretty fast. I say give Splash a try, just once at least. Mulholland Madness is quick and sharp to everything, so the drop is may be tall (for the ride), but it's very fast, and relatively smooth. I gotta give you props, most people get stubborn, and never try to conquer their fear of stuff like this, good job! And welcome to MiceChat, you'll really like it here.

• Planning my next trip...

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Of course because they've spent all the time going up the hill building tension (and for some anxiety) that drop can feel like it takes much longer.

Splash's drop is over very quickly. Just do not let yourself freak out on the lift hill.
    I agree with this. I personally don't think the Splash drop actually feels much worse than Pirates. I think it's the anticipation and being able to see the flume drop that makes it seem more intense. I think if your eyes were closed on Splash it would feel very similar.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Really? The lengths of the POTC and Splash Mountain drops are the same?

EDIT: Oh, you're comparing the TOTAL drops - for Pirates, that's the combination of both drops compared to Spash's final drop?
    Pirates 1st drop is 52 feet long at an angle of 21 degrees
    Pirates 2nd drop is 37 feet long at an angle of 21 degrees
    Splash final drop is 52.5 feet long at an angle of 47 degrees.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Wow, so just the first Pirates drop is the same length as Splash. Amazing!

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

Splash's drop is over very quickly. Just do not let yourself freak out on the lift hill. Concentrate on the fact that it is over very fast. Concentrate on making some sort of funny face for the camera. Distract yourself. And when you're down the hill and on the run out from it, take a few deep breaths and laugh. Scream, cheer yourself on.
    It never fails on me that I start freaking out on SM..even when I'm on the queue I start to think how long the drop is...and that darn drop takes away all the concentration of the ride..heck I hardliy enjoy the ride cause of the big drop..next time IF I do ride SM I will take mycroft16's advice and try to concentrate on other things then the drop
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• Lion

It's the same length but not the same height. That's what I think people don't realize. If you took just the drop section of track, laid it flat on the ground, then they would be the same length. But the total drop in heigh is greater on Splash, and hence the reason for the steeper angle, higher speed, and greater sensations.

• I'm not really here

Ok, some corrections here on my math. I just realized that the 52' measure for Splash was track height not length of drop as it is for PotC.

Ok, POTC first

We know that h = 52 ft and we know that a = 21 degrees.

sin 21 = O / 52
    52 sin 21 = O = 43.51 feet high.

Splash.

We know that O = 52 ft and we know that a = 47 degrees.

sin 47 = 52 / h
    h = 52 / sin 47 = 71 ft long.

So, the height of the drops
    Pirates: 43.5 feet
    Splash: 52 feet

Length of drop track
    Pirates: 89 feet (52 1st + 37 2nd)
    Splash: 71 feet

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I don't care for drops in rides either. But, I can handle Pirates very well because they are not that severe and don't last that long. Splash Mountain drop really scares me and I have only gone in it two times. A friend said Tower of Terror wasn't much worse than Space Mountain (which I love). He lied. lol. ToT was awful. It is ONLY drops at a high rate of speed and in complete darkness. We rode it once and probably Never Again.

The Matterhorn is a lot more of a mild coaster. It jerks you around a lot, but it was my first coaster and I love it. Not many dips in it. Give it a try and you will probably not mind it at all.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Koubu Pilot

You have to relax and just enjoy everything else. You'll ride the other rides when you're ready for them. Screamin' will have the largest hills while the mountains have smaller dips. Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain are more about banked curves than anything else. Matterhorn's dips are small, but I must warn you to ride the Fantasyland side to warm up to the ride since the Tomorrowland side is more rough and one particular dip you won't like if you're not used to it. When I talk about sides, if you're looking at the mountain from in front of the chalet part of the queue, the Fantasyland side is the side closest to the Teacups in Fantasyland, while the Tomorrowland side is the side closest to Tomorrowland and the nearby Submarine Lagoon.

Ok, POTC first

We know that h = 52 ft and we know that a = 21 degrees.

sin 21 = O / 52
    52 sin 21 = O = 43.51 feet high.
    Are you sure about that?

sin 21 = .358
    so sin 21 * 52 ft = 18.6 ft

That sounds like a much more reasonable height of the first Pirates drops than 43.5 ft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast