Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• ohai

Disneyland Electricity

Is there any way to find out what Disney's electric bill is? I would also like to know how much power they use...Thanks!
    Last edited by DisneyRicky; 01-23-2010 at 08:43 PM.

• Not a Minion

Re: Disneyland Electricity

No idea how we can find out, but reports in today give an assumption tthat they havent been paying. If you haven't heard, fantasyland and toontown experienced some power outages haha

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

You'd be shocked if you knew I bet. Imagine lighting up Main Street at night, or the power to run Fantasmic or Indy. Multiply by all rides, shows, lightbulbs and yikes...

• Banned User

thousands and thousands of dollars.....just a guess

• Future Animator

Haha!

You have just made me curious, as well!

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

...for any Disney Theme Park Specials, Behind the Scenes, Making Of's, Celebrations, etc.

• Nill

I don't remember the exact value for amperage from the Indy vehicles, but I know they can pull in the range of 100-200 amps. It's 3 phase, at 480 volts. To get a little more specific, the motors are 50 horsepower at 480v, and we can say about 4 amps per Horsepower, giving us 225 amps just for the motor.

That gives us 108,000 watts per vehicle. Call it 100,000 watts for simplicity's sake.

15 vehicles on the track totals 1.5 million watts, or a 1500 kilowatt-hour. If it's a 16 hour operating day, that's 24 mega-watts per day.

I really have no idea how much the rest of the ride pulls for lighting and other show effects......but you could likely easily match the 1500 kilowatts.

That's a lot of power, and that's just for Indy.

For Disneyland Paris in 2004 it was 196 848 MWh ....

• Shredder

Man, with all these numbers flying around just for electricity bills alone I can see why Disneyland wanted to close early on the rainy days...

Current WDI Imagineer: "But we made great attractions like Pirates of the Carribean!!!"
    Cast Member: "No, WED made Pirates of the Caribbean, you guys made things like 'Spare Park' [DCA]"

It takes about $30 in electricity for every screamin train launch.

• world class bilge rat

This is a pretty wild guess, but it's from a person who designs/installs/maintains large electrical systems.

My guess is about $2,000,000/month.

Here are my figures;

I'd guess that DL uses about 30 megawatts averaged over 24 hours. The peak load is more likely 40 or so, at night it'll drop to around 5 or 10. (30 megawatts = 30,000 kilowatts.)

I don't know what electricity costs in Southern Cal, it's about $0.12/KWhr (Kilo Watt Hour) in Northern Nevada. Because DL is such a large user, their rate is considerably less that what you pay at your house.

If DLs rate is $0.08/KWhr, then 30,000 X 24 = 720,000 KWhr/day X $0.08 = $57,600 per day. I know this sounds like a lot, but Bob Igers salary comes to about $75,000 per day.

$57,600/day X 30 days = $1,728,000 per month. This figure is actual usage, assuming my guesses are right.

A large electrical service like this will also have a demand charge added to the bill. This is because of the strain put on the utilities generating and distribution system. It's figured at the peak usage per month, my guess was 40,000 KW. I don't know what the demand rate is in So Cal, around here it's $10/KW. This adds about $400,000/month to the bill.

Next (we're almost done!), we have VAR usage. VAR = Volt-Amps Reactive. It comes into play whenever motors or transformers are in use. Since this can be mostly cancelled out with capacitors connected to the system, and since DLs VAR usage would be huge without them I'd bet this charge is fairly small. I'd guess it to add another $10,000/month.

In the end, we have $1,728,000 + $400,000 + $10,000 = $2,138,000 per month.

Once again, this is a pretty wild guess, but it gives you some idea of what it must cost to run DL.

Rob

• Not a Minion

ANy idea if Disneyland may have on location generators to help reduce costs?

• I'm not really here

You could file a FOIA request to the power company and then give them a couple months to redact the files of any critical information then they'll mail it to you.

Or a FOIA request to Disney itself.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

There's a cold fusion plant under the Castle.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I hear that was the best option after the environmentalists said they weren't allowed to dam the RoA.

• Not a Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Wait, is that sarcasm or truth? Because doing a quick look as to what cold fusion is, it looks to be nuclear stuff...? Am I right about this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast