• Imagineer to be

Water park and resort configuration

Alright, so with the strawberry fields purchased and ready to be razed for a new park, I think that an actual theme park should go there - not a water park. It's basically the last chance that the Disneyland Resort will have to build a theme park because it's the only land large enough near the resort to place it on.

However, I would love to have a water park at the resort elsewhere. Where exactly? Well, here's my idea...

Red Box: The Water Park

The Simba lot is the perfect size for a water park. Its area is actually just about the same as the amount of space that Typhoon lagoon and Blizzard Beach occupy. Also, nobody wants the hideous Paradise Pier hotel anyway so this would be a great reason to remove it.

Blue Box: Parking Structure

This would be an addition to the Mickey and Friends Parking Structure. Its size would also serve the demand for parking that a third gate would bring.

Green Box: Downtown Disney Expansion

This expansion would connect the water park to the rest of the resort.

Purple Box: New Hotel

A new hotel that fits the theme of the water park. It would also spread into the water park a little bit and allow direct access into the park by those staying at the hotel.

This way, the resort would get a nice new hotel, more shops and stores, both a new theme park and water park, and parking to fill the demands of the whole resort.
    Last edited by thatonekid; 01-25-2010 at 08:20 PM.

• Mouse at work

Re: Water park and resort configuration

Not so keen on the PPH demolition
    "Ian, in life, whatever you do, DO NOT give up your dreams and goals of the past, present, and future and only then will you be successful!" - Walter Elias Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by firebolt413 View Post
    Not so keen on the PPH demolition
    It's a total eyesore and is no representation of Disney's hotel capabilities.

• gyre & gimble in the wabe

I agree that they should build another theme park instead of a water-park. They're seasonal and no water-park will ever be as fun as an actual theme-park no matter what they try to do with it.
    Feed the Birds. It's not just a song, it's a way of life.

• Johnny and Me!

Quote Originally Posted by thatonekid View Post
    The pumba parking lot (I'm pretty sure it's the pumba)
    Nope, it's the Simba lot. Good guess, though.

• Senior Minion

Your ideas are very similar to mine, I wrote this thread a while ago about these ideas here:

Uncle Bob's Disneyland Resort Expansion Plan

Of course, that was a while ago before the DLH plans were announced, and the plans for the Anaheim Fixed Guideway were released, so I would make some changes based on the specifics of those projects.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

I know this is a fun thread
    but shouldn't be get Tomorrowland back into the future (or at least looking like it is)
    and fix DCA?

I think later on a 3rd gate is a great idea, but if the budget had to be shared to start a 3rd gate, DCA would be right back where it already is (minus the money already spent on the attempt to fix the park) and we'd have a 3rd DCA style park.

I think we should see how DCA is fixed, then think 3rd gate.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    but shouldn't be get Tomorrowland back into the future (or at least looking like it is)
    and fix DCA?

I think later on a 3rd gate is a great idea, but if the budget had to be shared to start a 3rd gate, DCA would be right back where it already is (minus the money already spent on the attempt to fix the park) and we'd have a 3rd DCA style park.

I get so tired of hearing this. It's completely ridiculous. There is no reason we can't discuss what we think should be done in the future. Our discussions have no impact on Disney's current plans for the DLR. But even people within Disney need to have long term strategic plans for the resort in place. So they too should be thinking about it. Every decision they make should take both short term and long term goals into account.

and fix DCA?
    In addition to what Uncle Bob said, it's important to realize that a third themepark will create far more of an attendance increase than a Tomorrowland overhaul would. It would probably include additional hotel capacity, and demand with a true multiday resort replacing an experience for locals.

DCA, on the other hand, is already being fixed. Will it be perfect in 2012? No. Will it finally offer something worth seeing, I think so. And that's enough for what should be the Disneyland Resort "third gate" by 2020. The true Disneyland Resort second gate will be the third park built- as it will likely be built with quality in mind to create the vacation destination DCA was supposed to create.

Disney doesn't plan in the short term, that leads companies to lose industry leadership. What the consumer wants today is a new tomorrow land and a revamped DCA, what the consumer wants in 2016 is a third themepark, new hotels and a new experience. That's likely where the longterm strategy lies, and it's worthy of discussion because of that.

• Pongo is my hero.

Anything that demolishes Paradise Pier Hotel is okay in my book. It's too ordinary in my eyes.

one hundred and one

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    and fix DCA?

I agree that tomorrowland needs to be fixed and DCA needs expansion but it makes no sense to completely build out those two parks and not leave them with room for changes or expansion. You need ot be able to have room for changes or expansions in the two first gates for at least the next ten years.

It makes sense to just stabalize DCA with the additions that are being added and then build a third gate. Once the third gate Disney could alternate between parks with additions so that all three gates are constantly being kept fresh.

Eventually Disneyland would have to continue its growth and changes for a few years with new entertainment while the resort is kept fresh with additions to DCA and the third gate alternating.

now as for the original topic, i had made some plans which were somewhat similar to yours and uncle Bob.

The difference was that i had envisioned a new hotel replacing the Paradise Pier but instead of it facing just east i had envisioned the hotel main front facade facing towards Disneyland park and then two connected towers with one facing north and the other facing east. The hotel layout would basically have the shape of a boomerang. The bottom floor would also serve as the main entrance into a water park designed with many indoor elements.

I also would like to see the small roadway and parking lot next between the PP hotel and the back of the cinema removed. This area breaks up the nice flow of guest pathways when walking from DTD to the hotel. An extension of DTD would work perfectly and bring in revenue for the resort.

the small building between the Disneyland hotel along with the small parking lot south of the tower would become a multi level parking lot for the hotel. Since i am suggesting removing the small roadway leading to this small building, i would leave the entrance driveway but then have the small road go underneath just enough to allow a leveled walkway and parklike setting between the DTD expansion and new hotel

I love these new ideas, there is so much potential with the land they have

• Hello

Yes!!! That is exactly what the resort needs.