Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Hooterville, USA

P.o.c [Why Does It Break Down So Often?]

Does anyone know why Pirates breaks down so often?

Seems it does so everytime I'm there.

Druggas

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Hukuna Matata!

Re: P.o.c

Hmm.. I never have had that problem, OH no I just jinxed myself, now it will always be shut down. Shoot

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

It does break down quite a bit. I've heard it's normally due to the final lift.

• Newbie.

Back in the day, it never used to break down, but now that someone informed the pirates about OSHA and Workman's Comp, they've all "lawyered-up" and refuse to work more than an 8 hour day.
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Does anyone know why Pirates breaks down so often?

Seems it does so everytime I'm there.

Druggas
    If it always does it when you're there, then maybe the problem is YOU!

Really...I'm not sure. I think it may have something to do with an older attraction trying to move larger (in more ways than one) crowds at a slightly faster pace than it was designed for.

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

yeah i haven't really had a problem like that one POTC (knock on wood!), i didn't think it was a ride known to break down (ahem, Indy?)
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• Rock Star Minion

Not sure what is meant by "break down." You mean "101- Evac" situations? Or just, "Why are we stopped here?" temporary meltdowns?

If the latter, it is likely due to special-needs boarding and unboarding. Sure, it would be great to launch a boat every 40 seconds or so, but some people take longer than that, and the boats pile up as a result.

Also, I am inclined to think that there is some perfect number of boats in the flume on the attraction that provides the highest ridership numbers. Any number higher and things get backed up too often, and any lower number leaves no queue (and a queue generally attracts guests).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Looking for his Princess!

Wink Re: P.o.c

Guess I've been pretty lucky thus far
    And this is what I'm looking for...for every King...there's a Queen!

• Mysterious Member

The reason Pirates "breaks down" so often also stems from the fact that the ride has been running for over 42 years now and is starting to show it's age. I mean the boats they are using are almost as old as the ride itself. The only boats that came before the current ones were the Small World boats they tried using on Pirates. Closing that attraction down for a year of refurbishment, not just for mechanical fixes but aesthetic touch ups as well, would really do it some good.
    Last edited by The_Mystery_Mouse; 01-26-2010 at 03:55 PM.
    ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

I was once in line when Pirates "broke down." They cleared all the boats and wouldn't let anyone new on, and then they went out to fix it. It must've been nothing much, though, because I stayed in line and it was back up and running in about 5 minutes.

• Olé! Olé! It's Showtime!

Re: P.o.c [Why Does It Break Down So Often?]

Considering that it's a 40-something year old attraction that has THREE different levels filled with water all the time... Imagine if you not only had a flooded basement, but your first floor also had a foot of water that stayed in equilibrium and didn't all drain down. Pretty amazing if you ask me.

• Banned User

How frequently are we talking about here? Is it as bad as Indy's 1 or 2 per day average?

• Disneyland Historian

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mystery_Mouse View Post
    The reason Pirates "breaks down" so often also stems from the fact that the ride has been running for over 42 years now and is starting to show it's age. I mean the boats they are using are almost as old as the ride itself. The only boats that came before the current ones were the Small World boats they tried using on Pirates. Closing that attraction down for a year of refurbishment, not just for mechanical fixes but aesthetic touch ups as well, would really do it some good.
    Aren't the current boats at least the third generation? I know it opened with colored boats with names painted on the bow. These were followed by colored boats without names, which could have been a variation on the original ones I suppose. The current faux wooden boats were phased in within the last five years or so.

• Johnny and Me!

The faux wood is just paint. What I hope doesn't happen is that those ugly plastic boats from IASW replace them.

• Mysterious Member

Your right, there were two versions of the colored boats, those were old small world boats basically. But the faux wood ones have been there for at least 30 of the 42 years.
    ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast