Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Artistic integrity

Re: Please oh Please Bring back the Cascade falls!

As stated ..... the demise of Cascade Peek was due to rout ... and the management of the time (Pressler - Do I really need to say more?!) ) cared little to nothing about repairing it ... so they just leveled it ... and blended it into the rather boring area - Just more bush.

With the possibility of redeveloping Frontierland to the west and north of Big Thunder ..... I could picture something on the river's edge that is part New ride / Part Aesthetic that would be something as spectacular as Cascade Peek or better.

The possibilities are many:

I remember trips on the MarkTwain or Columbia in the 90s ...that as soon as we came up to Cascade Peek, everybody lurched to the left to see the falls. So ... no one could say today's more cynical audiences could careless ... and was only one of those "60s" things.

Far from the truth.

But we had a management team then who were more interested in letting attractions "ride" to failure ...then restore or repair.

But following the demise of Cascade Peek in 1998 .... there was one more remnant from Nature's Wonderland that was going the way of Cascade Peek about some 5 years ago. A railroad tunnel that can be seen from a small moat to the west of Big Thunder Trail ...was beginning to cave in. But that was repaired ... and is still part of the area "aesthetics" to this day:

TODAY -

THEN -
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 01-31-2010 at 04:30 PM.

^
    fantastic observation! I am optimistic that a new waterfall will appear sometime soon. Water in motion really adds to the ambience and environment. It is a win win to bring cascade peak back.

• Future Disney Imagineer

Bring it back! with new trees so it looks big again. There's a possibility of looking even more beautiful than it was in the 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Incrediboy View Post
    Bring it back! with new trees so it looks big again. There's a possibility of looking even more beautiful than it was in the 60s.
    No question about that, The new techniques that the Imagineers and architects have to build realistic rock work is incredible these days. They have done a fantastic job with the rock work at California Adventure, it would be amazing to see there new techniques implemented at the Rivers of America!

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    So, that light orange area where the Living Desert used to be - that isn't part of the barbecue place is it? Looks way too big...

Russ suggested the Circle D ranch for the animals, but the ranch was there all along.

(Great pics, again, Bob!)

Isn't the Living Desert about 6 feet under all that now?

Sigh.
    That's correct, it is too big for the Living Desert; the Disneyland Railroad use to pass right next to the attraction and behind Casey Jr. When it was moved out, it left a grassy meadow area in between and that was used for Big Thunder Ranch when it was built in the 80's.

The living Desert is under 6 feet underground (old Matterhorn Bobsleds are rumored to be buried there too). You can tell by looking at the "mine shaft tunnel"--which contrary to popular belief is NOT the maintenance spur-- and how high the ground is today

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Someone said that a portion of the buttes from the "Balancing Rock Canyon" part of the Living Desert are still visible today, in the Big Thunder Ranch area, but I don't know where. It's a little difficult to compare the aerial photos because I know the Disneyland Railroad tracks were rerouted at one point, so they tracks don't quite match up. I also don't know if they are using the western part of it along the river, where you see all the trees in the photo, for anything at all now. If not it would be nice to open it at least as a walk-through attraction.
    That was probably me that said it.
    Yes those buttes from the Living Desert in Big Thunder are visible today, and contrary to popular belief, they are not the rocks from Balancing Rock canyon. Balancing rock Canyon started farther down the current Big Thunder Mountain path, and you were in the thick of it about where the little mining vignette featuring the faux steam engines from Hot Lead and Cold Feat is now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    I think there the rocks next to where the Turkeys are. it can be hard to tell at first but they appear to be the exact remants of the buttes
    The exact same buttes! (Turkeys should have some respect for history as they crap all over them)

• Artistic integrity

(added to my post above)

>>No question about that, The new techniques that the Imagineers and architects have to build realistic rock work is incredible these days. They have done a fantastic job with the rock work at California Adventure, it would be amazing to see there new techniques implemented at the Rivers of America!<<

Grizzly River Run is a prime example!

• It's all about Theme!

I really want to dig into the concrete over by the barbecue and see if remnants of the geysers are still there!

But seriously, Cascade Peak is yet another part of RoA that should be returned as a part of plussing. I don't care that its not a ride, but its theme and its heritage.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Minion

Where exactly was Skull Rock (never witnessed) and where could they bring it back to?
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Artistic integrity

Someone is recreating Natures Wonderland Mine Trains in miniature ......... check it out:

Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    Where exactly was Skull Rock (never witnessed) and where could they bring it back to?
    You can see here at Yesterland.com

Skull Rock at Yesterland

I think a new Skull Rock could go in the former Motor Boat Cruise 'landing' moat ... to go with Disney's rumored Tnkerbell ride. Not sure if its an appropriate fit though.

• Minion

I hope they can find a way to bring it back, I also kind of want them to add Captain Hook's Restaurant/ship to the RoA, and here me out here, they could have a restaurant that travels around TSI, or they could add the Black Pearl to the RoA, having 3 big ships you can take, I saw somewhere that other parks have more then one Mark Twain style ship too.

But yeah, all waterfalls need to be plussed and/or brought back
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Minion

Skull Rock was in Fantasyland, and there was a Captain Hook's Pirate ship next to it, which had a Chicken of the Sea restaurant where you could buy tuna sandwiches and eat them there or walk over to Skull Rock and sit down and eat them there. Skull Rock was a great place to run around and play when we were kids. There were waterfalls and caves to explore, and I have read that sometimes a Captain Hook character would chase kids around, though I never saw him. Both the pirate ship and Skull Rock were removed during the 1982-1983 remodeling of Fantasyland.

There are Skull Rocks at some of the other Disney parks but I like the look of the one Disneyland had.

I still think the reddish rocks and buttes of the Living Desert and the Balancing Rock Canyon were pretty accurate, as they were modeled after Bryce Canyon National Park, Arches National Park and the Colorado plateau in general. They recreate the look of the reddish sandstone of that area fairly well, I think.

The real Bryce Canyon, just 400 miles from Disneyland:

To me the Grizzly River Run area more accurately simulates the Sierra Nevada mountains of California, which are dominated by gray granite.

• Artistic integrity

can always count on google to find old micechat topics.

This topic going back to Nov 2007 is interesting ...

http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/82215-mine-train-through-natures-wonderland.html

Since .... Cascade Peek has been mentioned .. but some may have never stumbled on to this interesting piece.

Awwwww.... It says the page is not found.

• Minion

^ what he said
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast