View Poll Results: Which ideas would you go for?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • More rustic Hungry Bear dinning area.

10 45.45%
  • Redo Pooh

19 86.36%
  • Adjusted River so Splash can get out on the water more

7 31.82%
  • Splash Mountain Ride Adjustments

2 9.09%
  • Splash Mountain Exit Redirect

3 13.64%
  • New food/retail options on Splash Exit

6 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Armchair Imagineering Critter Country and Splash Mt.

Good Morning Everyone,

After two times typing it all out, I have gone over my ideas for Critter Country. They aren't even that bad!

Check them out on my blog and feel free to comment here or there. Either or.

Last edited by Trevor; 02-02-2010 at 03:07 PM.

• I'm a Lutheran

Re: Armchair Imagineering Critter Country and Splash Mt.

The link to your work says that the thing is invalid or something like that.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• We Go On.

So... Critter Country is turning into an invalid blog. I hate to be so critical, but I think this isn't the best idea.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The link should work now, I think I had it going to the edit page.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Still no worky-worky.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I like the idea of redoing Pooh, however I'd ideally like to see a Bambi dark ride take its place.

I also like the idea of redoing the Hungry Bear Restaurant. I think it could benefit from a bit more "something".

I like the idea of "dual logs" for Splash in theory, but I think it would be just too darn expensive to do that much of an overhaul for an attraction that already gets hundreds to thousands of riders a day.

Also, I'm not too keen about changing the exit location. I like how it spills you out back into Critter Country so a person can go and ride Pooh, or buy something at Pooh's Corner or The Briar Patch without having to walk all the way back down to that area.

I think Critter Country just needs to be expanded to be honest. There's so much more that could be done with that area, but currently it's not doable due to size constraints.

• Who are you again?

nice idea, I like adding on to a classic to not only double capacity but to also give a new view to the story
    theres always two sides to every story. right?
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    I like the idea of redoing Pooh, however I'd ideally like to see a Bambi dark ride take its place.

I also like the idea of redoing the Hungry Bear Restaurant. I think it could benefit from a bit more "something".

I like the idea of "dual logs" for Splash in theory, but I think it would be just too darn expensive to do that much of an overhaul for an attraction that already gets hundreds to thousands of riders a day.

Also, I'm not too keen about changing the exit location. I like how it spills you out back into Critter Country so a person can go and ride Pooh, or buy something at Pooh's Corner or The Briar Patch without having to walk all the way back down to that area.

I think Critter Country just needs to be expanded to be honest. There's so much more that could be done with that area, but currently it's not doable due to size constraints.

Thanks for the comments.

The Bambi dark ride would fit perfectly where Pooh's Corner is currently. It even has access to backstage for a show building. I'm also glad I'm not the only one who feels that the HB restaurant is plain and needs some sprucing up (literally!).

I know that it would be weird not to be spit out into Critter Country but on some days who wants to be. It gets so crowded and the walkways can not be expanded. I think with a better pooh and a new dark ride (I do like the Bambi idea) that the land would sustain itself. besides, you have to stroll through it to get into Splashes queue anyway!

Assuming the ride flume is in need of an overhaul anyway, and that the line is always super long, I think that the investment in expanding this ride and basically creating another e-ticket on the same footprint as far as ride numbers go would make it worth it for Disney to do. Your right though, the investment would be substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by jesterjack View Post
    nice idea, I like adding on to a classic to not only double capacity but to also give a new view to the story
    theres always two sides to every story. right?
    Exactly. Keep the feel and that which made it a success, and address the issues. Thats my goal in Armchair Imagineering.

• Senior Minion

This idea makes zero sense. You would have to demolish SM completely to rebuild it that way. What would be better, keeping SM, building a new flume ride, and building a new dark ride with the money you didn't waste demolishing SM, or for about the same cost, or this plan where all you would have is a new SM? Personally, I'd take three rides instead of one.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    This idea makes zero sense. You would have to demolish SM completely to rebuild it that way. What would be better, keeping SM, building a new flume ride, and building a new dark ride with the money you didn't waste demolishing SM, or for about the same cost, or this plan where all you would have is a new SM? Personally, I'd take three rides instead of one.
    I would argue this (and you will too). You would have to gut the showrooms, and do structural work around all of the drops and hills, but from my observation of blueprints, the room is indeed there. What would be effected is backstage utilities which in this digital age could be wired to and moved to a new building outside the main showroom. I hear that they want to redo some of the control systems anyway, so although it is a large project to be sure, doubling the capacity of one of Disneyland's premier attractions would justify the cost, expecially when there isn't a tonne of room in Disneyland to build big new attractions. Of course the added benefit would be that the crowding in the area would be reduced as well.

I say take the Splash Mountain "dual log" idea and transfer it to the upcoming Shanghai Disney or in a version at Hong Kong Disney. It would be cloning an attraction, yes, but at least it be cloning it with a different spin (or drop, if you will).

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    I say take the Splash Mountain "dual log" idea and transfer it to the upcoming Shanghai Disney or in a version at Hong Kong Disney. It would be cloning an attraction, yes, but at least it be cloning it with a different spin (or drop, if you will).
    Too true, but that doesn't solve our problems here. :P

• Armchair Imagineer

I don't know how to say this nicely, but redoing Splash is an absolutely ridiculous idea. It's so far-fetched it's not even fun to think about. It doesn't matter if there is enough square footage in the scenes, a whole new flume would need to be carved out, which would absolutely destroy the integrity of the whole structure (that is, it couldn't stand up!). Do you have any idea how complicated the structure is to hold everything up? You can't just punch holes in it to make a new flume. So you'd have to demolish the thing and start over. And for what?! A ride that's fine to begin with and has a capacity of around 1500 per hour.

It would cost more to do this than it would to make a whole new E-ticket attraction right around ROA, and then you would have TWO E-tickets and all the demolition costs left over.

It's also not a good idea to have the exit of Splash lead you OUT of Critter Country...why would you do that? It's disorienting to guests who are immersed in the theming of the land to be pushed out of it. It also discourages guests who came for the E-ticket to appreciate the rest of the land. Also, how exactly is the exit burrowing through the ride structure under the flume?

Also, the hot drinks place at the exit sounds suspiciously similar to another poster's thread from last November. Frankly, too similar to be a coincidence. Since you commented on that thread I can be pretty sure you were aware of it. I think if you are going to borrow so heavily from someone's concept in your ideas you really ought to give them credit and link to it.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    I don't know how to say this nicely, but redoing Splash is an absolutely ridiculous idea. It's so far-fetched it's not even fun to think about. It doesn't matter if there is enough square footage in the scenes, a whole new flume would need to be carved out, which would absolutely destroy the integrity of the whole structure (that is, it couldn't stand up!). Do you have any idea how complicated the structure is to hold everything up? You can't just punch holes in it to make a new flume. So you'd have to demolish the thing and start over. And for what?! A ride that's fine to begin with and has a capacity of around 1500 per hour.
    I think it is kind of interesting to think about. The structure is steel, and I can assure you that the floors are strong enough to support a second flume. I dont nievely suggest that it could just be slapped in, but a complete redo of the building would not be nessesary. Just a couple definite renovations toward the shape, and a reinforcement of the building. If it bothers you so much though, just assume I stated I wanted to rebuild from scratch. This idea was introduced as being "pretty out there" in that it is not going to happen, but it is interesting to think about, expecially the utilization of two flumes with two different takes on one story.

It would cost more to do this than it would to make a whole new E-ticket attraction right around ROA, and then you would have TWO E-tickets and all the demolition costs left over.
    It would cost overall about the same as installing one e-ticket because the splash flumes do not require the intense technical work that something like Indy or the proposed new tommorowland attractions require. I know of the cost, and considering Disneyland is running out of plots for new rides, upgrades are going to happen.

It's also not a good idea to have the exit of Splash lead you OUT of Critter Country...why would you do that? It's disorienting to guests who are immersed in the theming of the land to be pushed out of it. It also discourages guests who came for the E-ticket to appreciate the rest of the land. Also, how exactly is the exit burrowing through the ride structure under the flume?
    Now this, I agree with, and have wrestled with. However, equily disorienting is a wall of people stuck in a dead-end with nothing to do because the end of the Splash line begins in NOS, the store is too busy and pooh itself isnt popular enough. Although it is fringing, the walkway from the store would still be in the forested area of CC and therefor it wouldnt be too bad, compared to the mess it can potentially avoid. Pirates, HM, and BTMRR all have exits away from their entrances and it is no big problem. Pair this with the fact your walking through a nicely themed shop on the way out and a pathway that could soften the transition and the issues have been considered

Also, the hot drinks place at the exit sounds suspiciously similar to another poster's thread from last November. Frankly, too similar to be a coincidence. Since you commented on that thread I can be pretty sure you were aware of it. I think if you are going to borrow so heavily from someone's concept in your ideas you really ought to give them credit and link to it.
    Oh you mean like if I said:
    would be a shop that was detailed by another member in a thread.
    I couldn't find the link, but I think it was pretty plain that I loved and borrowed that idea considering I used that line to introduce it. I appologize that I could not find the link but I ended up having to rewrite the whole post due to a logoff error, and I simply didn't have time to extend my search for it at 5am after a long night.

Thanks for the feedback.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast