Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

• Banned User

Re: Disney's California Food and Wine Festival - April 16 to May 31, 2010

Yeah just to let you know, the norm. Amount is 5.oz! At the bar it may seem like a little more to me, but it’s a normal amount that they are suppose to serve. You may have to check it out yourself. Also, just because they charge like 12 bucks for a glass of iron horse champagne, you have to remember it’s not the amount that they charge by it’s who makes it…for instance, I got a glass of champagne yesterday, it was iron horse, it was 12.99, now that may seem expensive to some people, but iron horse is a very prestigious and fancy wine maker and they are VERY expensive, so really in retrospect the 12.99 is a steal.

• Banned User

..ok wait I didnít explain the whole wine glass thing right..

Ok letís start from the beginning, ok at the tasting the one they do with the winemaker, yeah your not going to get VERY much itís just a tasting, but if you buy it buy glass ,they give you at least 5 .oz! that is the normal amount in a glass usually and itís the normal amount that Disney I allowed to give. If you do any of the wine walks, I donít yet-but I think that they will only give you less or maybe 5 .oz.

If you buy from the bar, at aerials grotto, then you will get what ever they are required to give you that goes with the winery also, itís what ever they are required to give you. But I did ask them how much the normal is at the winery and they said 5 .oz!

Does that make better sense as to why the glass tasting seem soo tiny?

I went when this was going on. The only problem was Disney California Adventures was more packed than Disneyland.

• Sock Puppet

I had a nice couple tell me that Magicale was very good, so, I had the wine area give me a small cup with a few sips in it. (Wasn't willing to pay $12 for a glass.) I immediately went to the wine shop and got a few bottles to take home. It was less than half price at 20.00. I was stoked! We thought the set up was much more organized this year with it in the huge building instead of spread all over. More merchandise offered and an actual wine shop with a wine expert to help out too.

My family and I enjoyed the sliders and the cheese soup. And the kids had a blast with the soda machine! Making all kinds of weird combinations of drinks. lol

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MarysUmbrella View Post
    I had a nice couple tell me that Magicale was very good, so, I had the wine area give me a small cup with a few sips in it. (Wasn't willing to pay $12 for a glass.) I immediately went to the wine shop and got a few bottles to take home. It was less than half price at 20.00. I was stoked! We thought the set up was much more organized this year with it in the huge building instead of spread all over. More merchandise offered and an actual wine shop with a wine expert to help out too.

My family and I enjoyed the sliders and the cheese soup. And the kids had a blast with the soda machine! Making all kinds of weird combinations of drinks. lol

ooo i love magicale. isn't awesome to have on a hot day?? the set WAS much more oraganized. i still havn't done the coke machine yet

After yesterday, I've officially tried all the Festival Showplace food items except for the desserts.

White Cheddar Soup - I loved it, but did not like the portion size. Too much bread and too little soup.
    Marketplace Slider - This was the item whose description and appearance did not excite me (never ordered it my first 3 times) and it turned out to be one of my favorite items. The brioche they serve it on went really well with the beef and spicy mayo.
    Mucho Gusto Quesadilla - The serving size was big making it one of the better deals. Someone with a small appetite could probably make a meal of it. It was good, but not particularly memorable or crave-worthy.
    Santa Rosa Pear Salad - Good salad. I'm not sure the pear went all that well with it. The portion was kind of dinky, but it was one of the cheapest items on the menu.
    Island Ahi - Good for ahi fans. I'm not a huge ahi fan, but my sister like it.
    Cheese - I liked the Artisanal selection better. Do not get the Festival selection if you do not like strong cheeses. I would have preferred crackers and grapes to the toast and raisins.

1 week left in the festival and I've still got 6 festival-inspired dining options to go.

• hi!

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    Marketplace Slider - This was the item whose description and appearance did not excite me (never ordered it my first 3 times) and it turned out to be one of my favorite items. The brioche they serve it on went really well with the beef and spicy mayo.
    i would agree. this was quite good.. BUT only if eating altogether as it is meant to. if a piece of beef fell out and was eaten by itself (without the spicy mayo and brioche) i found it to be a bit lackluster in both taste and quality.

also tried the mucho gusto quesadilla. like you said, it is one of the larger servings. and i felt that it was very good. perfect mix of flavors but like you said, nothing to go over-the-top crazy over.

you don't have the Beer Battered Halibut on your list. if you happened to try it, what were your thoughts? i was on the fence between that and the quesadilla for a while before i made my decision.

from my trip report:

marketplace slider.

mucho gusto quesadilla.
    -plagued

Oh wow, can't believe I missed the halibut. I thought it was pretty good and I know a lot of people consider it their favorite item. $5 is a bit much for it though. I think this is an item I would rather they made into a festival-inspired dining item (the temporary menu items at the DCA restaurants) than have in the showplace. I felt the same way about the soup: I wish they had made it a festival-inspired item at Pacific Wharf instead of the salad which I wasn't a huge fan of.

By the way, nice trip report. I think you made the right choices. If I was going to limit myself to two items I would have gone with the quesadilla and the slider as well.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314