Page 144 of 262 FirstFirst ... 4494119134141142143144145146147154169194244 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 3918
  1. #2146

    • 10 Year Annual Passholder
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Disneyland... I wish.
    Posts
    1,561

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

    Happy birthday, Haunted Mansion! From the Disney Parks Blog.

    ^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 8.23.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 18

  2. #2147

    • We Go On.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,793

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

    ...And the holograms are dancing around...
    *facepalm*

  3. #2148

    •   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    1,484

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

    Disneyland’s Alice in Wonderland attraction is expected to reopen later this week, following a four-week closure to install handrails along elevated portions of the track.

    The temporary safety fix includes turquoise railing (to match the metal fencing that runs around the queue and base of the attraction), dotted with a handful of flower cut-outs in the style of those that already decorate the ride’s exterior.

    Charitably speaking, the modifications look horrible. The good news is they’re temporary. The Cast Member Reference Guide lists the attraction as closed until January 2011, so likely it will go back under the knife as soon as crowds become manageable—and the Imagineers can come up with a more attraction solution

    Source David Koenig...

    Pictures are up on the internet and I agree it does look tacky but they worked hard to get it open and they can hopefully go back in January and do it right


  4. #2149

    • We Go On.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,793

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

    Well, that's what we all thought. Glad to hear it's true. I'll probably be able to see the temporary railings firsthand on Friday or Saturday.

  5. #2150

    • Dave
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Monterey Bay Area
    Posts
    2,923
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

    Just A quick People mover question would handrales along the track saisfy the ADA or is their more work that needs to be done to make it hadicapp friendly?
    Dave

  6. #2151

    •   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    1,484

    Wink Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

    Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    Just A quick People mover question would handrales along the track saisfy the ADA or is their more work that needs to be done to make it hadicapp friendly?
    Well peoplemover hasnt been open since 1997 but I think what your referring to is Alice. With Alice the handrails were added more for workers safety as part of CAloshas suggestion.
    With ADA alice might be grandfathered on the modifications... Much like Finding nemo they were able to add the viewing room as opposed to building a ADA compliant sub.
    and for the most part many Guests with Special assistance passes are able to experience Alice they must be able to transfer from a wheel chair to one of the caterpillars. Perhaps in the future we will see a accessible Caterpillar much like Pirates and Its a small world has fully accessible boats now. Maybe I am wrong but I dont think Alice has this yet. The handrails certainly will be helpful for guests who need extra assitance during emergency situations.


  7. #2152

    • Dave
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Monterey Bay Area
    Posts
    2,923
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

    BUt I remeber hearing the reson the people mover hasn't returned was because of lack of handrails along the track.
    Dave

  8. #2153

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,272

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

    Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    BUt I remeber hearing the reson the people mover hasn't returned was because of lack of handrails along the track.
    I highly doubt that is the reason. Adding handrails would be the cheapest part of returning the People Mover.

  9. #2154

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

    I think the reason that returning the PM would be expensive is because they don't have sufficient clearance between the vehicles and the parts of the buildings. Fixing it is going to require significant work on every building in TL. Hopefully they will make any needed fixes to the Star Tours building now. It shouldn't be a big deal to work in the Starcade and hopefully the old carrousel theater will make way for Tron or something else new. But I assume both Space Mountain and Buzz would be difficult to fix, especially without closing them for a while. It's also likely that the newer codes would require intermediate exacuation points, which may have more strict rules with which they would have to comply.

    In regard to the handrails, and ADA it really depends on the location as to what rules apply. Anywhere where the public can go is ruled by the ADA. But locations where only cast members have access to are under OSHA worker safety rules. If the PM was to require guests to remain in their vehicles except for designated loading and unloading zones they could install less obtrusive handrails just to protect workers from accidently falling. But any handrail in guest areas must be ADA compliant, which is 42" tall and have no openings greater then 4".

  10. #2155

    • Nope! No grown-ups here!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA
    Posts
    1,087

    Exclamation Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

    Someone around here (I believe it may have been mycroft16) said that one of the key issues keeping the Peoplemover closed is that, per Cal OSHA (or whichever agency is applicable) it doesn't have an adequate system for emergency exits along the length of its external track (or for a ride of its length, in general). That may, in part, come down to it not having safety rails for riders that need to get out of the vehicles in the case of an emergency, too.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

  11. #2156

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,549

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

    Quote Originally Posted by lighttragic View Post
    With ADA alice might be grandfathered on the modifications... Much like Finding nemo they were able to add the viewing room as opposed to building a ADA compliant sub.
    They never would have been required to build a ADA compliant sub, even if they didn't provide the viewing room. The Imagineering team took it upon themselves to provide that element. There are exceptions to ADA requirements and the subs would have been able to obtain one had they needed to, but providing the room pretty much removed any ADA challenges.

  12. #2157

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    They never would have been required to build a ADA compliant sub, even if they didn't provide the viewing room. The Imagineering team took it upon themselves to provide that element. There are exceptions to ADA requirements and the subs would have been able to obtain one had they needed to, but providing the room pretty much removed any ADA challenges.
    Can you provide a source? No offense, but I'm 99% sure you are wrong. Because everything I know about the ADA suggests that the alternate viewing area would be required by code. They don't have to build an ADA compliant sub, but the alternate viewing is an ADA requirement. The ADA would generally be interpreted to say that if it's impossible to provide the same experience for disabled guests, then they must provide the most equivalent experience possible.

  13. #2158

    •   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    1,484

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Can you provide a source? No offense, but I'm 99% sure you are wrong. Because everything I know about the ADA suggests that the alternate viewing area would be required by code. They don't have to build an ADA compliant sub, but the alternate viewing is an ADA requirement. The ADA would generally be interpreted to say that if it's impossible to provide the same experience for disabled guests, then they must provide the most equivalent experience possible.
    Correct which is why what they have with Sleeping Beauty Castle the alternate viewing experience as well. But Most new attractions have to be built to ADA standards , For example the newest new non rethemed attraction to open is Midway Mania makes it completely accessible for guests wheras any older attractions at Disneyland would have to make reasonable accomadations such as a alternate viewing experience if they cant make it possible to literally ride the attraction.


  14. #2159

    • is too darn hot.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    It's all about the LBC, yo!
    Posts
    14,849

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

    Even if something is ADA compliant, that doesn't stop people from complaining. I heard a woman in a wheelchair reaming out a cast member at the monorail station in Tomorrowland the other day because they made her go up the long ramp (which is ADA compliant) because the elevator at the platform is reserved for folks coming down from the platform. She was threatening to get him fired.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

    On Track for Weight Loss!


  15. #2160

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    177

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

    ADA Accessibility Guildlines for theme parks are available here:

    ADA Accessibility Guidelines


Similar Threads

  1. [News] Disneyland Project Tracker
    By MasterGracey in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3010
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 09:56 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •