Page 17 of 262 FirstFirst ... 714151617181920274267117 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    I can understand the idea of cloning a good idea. And I can respect that point of view, however, I was trying to make a point about you saying that TDA deserves more credit. I do not honestly think that they deserve credit for simply copying concepts from another park and then putting them in your own. From my perspective, that is just being to lazy to test the water with your own money. I think it is good that Disneyland is atleast doing something, but still, the decorations are the same each year, and the new additions were not custom made for our park. Therefore, I feel that TDA does not deserve that much credit.
    Okay, to be fair thats fine! *I* was only making the point that its not like nothing is ever being done. There is, in some fashion usually. Of course people may not always like the direction they go or the fact they are clones, I get that. And I dont really visit the U.S. parks enough in the last few years (even though I was born and raised in L.A. lol--from Compton specifically) so I dont know enough about the decorations or holiday layovers to have a real opinion on it. In fact, this year was the first time I even been to their Halloween event, what I thought was pretty amazing. But sure, you see the same stuff every year, it will be different for you.

Well first let me tell you that I am uber jealous of you getting to live in Tokyo and visit Tokyo Disney Resort so often. I had no idea you were so lucky. As for when you made the statement; no you did not point blank say it but you did say
    LOL yeah, but I havent lived there since 2004 . When I did live there, I was going to the resort every month lol. Even before I moved to Japan, I had already been to the resort about a half dozen times. I just love it it! And I try to go back there anytime I can. Although last time I was there was in 2008 sadly. Although its doubtful at the moment, I'm trying to make it back over there sometime this year. We'll see .

This basically implies that since the event will do well it will come to Disneyland. Which is what I do not agree with at all. Because in the years that Tokyo Disneyland has been pulling off these special events (excluding Halloween and Christmas), not once has Disneyland Resort took their lead. I really just don't see them starting if they can barely get daily events right.
    Yeah, to be fair, tone and interpretation is sometimes hard to get across on the internet. I wasnt really being all that clear I guess, but I was really only talking about the event at TDR itself mainly. Then I was trying to say maybe Disney will do something LIKE this in time. But even if they do, I dont see it going on for 3 months lol. I still think thats a tad long for TDR, because its titled after a holiday that not only last one day in a month, but will be loooong come and gone by the time this event ends there. But someone on another board mentioned its really tied to Spring more than Easter, so I get that now. But if they had it at DLR, I imagine it would be a few weeks to a month at best...just a GUESS though!

Yes, I do remember this. I was going back and reading Al Lutz's Articles from 1995-2002(ish?) and remember reading about how it was a controversial decision to make Aladdin it's length. However, I feel that this is a long term investment. A huge learning experience that basically revolutionized Disney theme park shows. Now for short term investments, well let's see, how long has Tokyo Disneyland been changing their Christmas Parade? And how long has Christmas Fantasy been running at Disneyland? (Rhetorical questions). That is my point, Tokyo has been doing these so long and Disneyland has never caught on. It took Hong Kong a whopping 2 years to catch on. Its been over 15 and Disneyland still has not.
    I get that too, but I dont think its really just about quality or even money, its really due to culture. The Japanese looooooves shows lol. They love them! Its not the attractions that keep people back over and over again, its the shows. Trust me, when you are waiting 3 HOURS for a castle show that will run maybe 7 minutes, you have a captured audience . I've seen it over and over again. People there take to these shows more than any other Disney theme park. Its the reason why they took a chance of bringing a show like Encore in the first place because they thought if ANYONE wants to watch a longer show, its the Japanese (ironically though, people use to fall asleep in Encore lol....I did once or twice myself lol.) OLC really invest in them because they know it what drives their audience. But like everything, Japan is having its downturn to and even OLC is not investing in its shows as heavily as they use to be. Certain shows that USE to be done once and has come back a few times now over the seasons. They have quietly done away with most of the 'streetmosphere' shows now. I had friends who was in all of this stuff at one time or another, trust me both the audience and employees have noticed the cut backs in the recent years. So the highlighted entertainment is not as great as it use to be. That said, yes, still head above anything done here .

I can understand this. I personally think that Tokyo is not starting to celebrate the holiday. I think they are pushing the Alice in Wonderland theme more so then they are the whole idea of an "Easter Season!". I feel like the Easter theme is more of an underline element for the Alice in Wonderland overall feel. I see this event being like all the other non-Holiday events, dieing after a few years with no real sign of returning.

And if they brought Easter Wonderland to Disneyland Resort, I would jump with joy for days. I am very confident that Tokyo Disneyland will pull off this parade. Power of Music, one of Tokyo Disneyland's lesser-quality shows (IMO) would be amazing at the U.S. parks. Why? Because we almost never get Tokyo Disney style entertainment (I might cry if we were to get Legend of Mythica, seriously).
    Yeah, like I said above I realize its less about Easter and more about other things now. Its such a GREAT idea and whats funny is it just seems like an OBVIOUS one too, but none of the parks have ever come up with it until now. Personnally I'm not a show guy AT ALL!! I dont really care about these events myself, but I understand why they are done and needed, especially in local parks LIKE DLR, TDR and HKDL where its the locals that make up the attendence, so they have to find things for them to come back all during the year and not just for vacations. In fact, its only been the last few years I been really paying attention to them. When TDR make a new show (like every month lol), that was just an excuse to try and hit as many rides as I could, because I knew everyone would be watching the show. I would watch a show once and that was it. These days, I watch them a little more now.

As for the annual holiday events, I never been to a Disneyland Christmas until much later like just a few years back and I grew up IN L.A. lol. I just wanted to see the park 'as is'. The first time I went to a Christmas event was TDL actually back in 2003. But I was BLOWN AWAY by it!!! From that point on I was a Christmas convert lol. I didnt even go to DL's for the first time until 2005. And I was there again this year (I moved back to the states/L.A. in October just in time for the Halloween stuff).

As far as Xmas, I'm pretty impressed with this stuff in BOTH places. I would say Tokyo's is better because it really does change a lot every year, but again we have to give DL some credit here, two of their biggest attractions during that time, HMH and IASWH BOTH came from TDA first . And I LOVE to see things like the snow on Main Street or little things like the light show on the IASW facade or a great fireworks show.....which NONE of those things exist in Tokyo for their Christmas events. The snow plays in Paris as well and supposedly its all every 15 minutes there all day too. But its still the 'little things' that makes DL great with this stuff if its not always as big as Tokyos.

And if I sounded a little snippy with you in my other post, I apologize. I just felt like I was being talked down to and that all my knowledge came from a TDR brochure and I had no clue how it worked there, thats all. But my post came off a little harsh, so apologies!

(And yeah, Mythica is a GREAT show, one of my favorites there )

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    I thought this was the Project Tracker and not the "Let's Drool All Over Tokyo Until It Drowns in Saliva" thread???
    LOL, hey dont blame me, I had just made a off hand comment about the Easter event in Tokyo and I was challenged over it .

My ORIGINAL point was that DL is starting to these things more and trying harder with the holiday events. But I guess with the lack of real space (and money) for new attractions and to keep its dependent sick sister, DCA, afloat with the cash and new attractions needed now, this is probably not much of a choice as it is a neccessity .

• Larger Than (After)Life

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Don't overreact to rumors of budgets being cut. Remember, they're just rumors.
    The only people who are guilty of stringing along about the Hatbox ghost are those who took online rumors for fact. Disney never said a thing about it.
    It's a KNOWN FACT among Disney insiders that a new Hatbox Ghost is in the works. Unfortunately, WED and WDI aren't what they used to be.

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Also, a quick note on DL entertainment that is slightly TDL related. There are two things that really bothering me about DL right now. They are the poor use of the FL Theater and lack of a true parade.

The FL Theater is HUGE and should be used for a live show shown like 6 times a day to really suck up the crowds. Instead its only seeing a fraction of the people it should dressed up as a princess M&G. DL real estate is way too valuable to be wasted like this. Lets get a full scale show up and running here. I will make a TDL suggestion again and say that "One Man's Dream" show from the Showbase stage in TDL's TL would be a perfect for the FL Theater.

Also, I really hate that DL does not have a "real" parade. For the first time in DECADES! Its really sad. I for one was so excited about the Worlds of Wonder parade. If we can't get that, I would love to see Jubilation from TDL brought to DL.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• Future Indy Castmember

I know all of you are disscussing Disneyland here, but I really think you guys are still going off topic in this PROJECT TRACKER thread by discussing Disneyland's and TDR's entertainment.

Just saying.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Peaches and Dreams

I was like oh wow! 3 pages in one day!? big things must have happened!

turns out the only big things were the posts

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TheHatboxGhost View Post
    It's a KNOWN FACT among Disney insiders that a new Hatbox Ghost is in the works. Unfortunately, WED and WDI aren't what they used to be.
    WDI is certainly what they used to be. Look at all of TDS, look at Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor.

Disney Management is just not good these days.

Quote Originally Posted by jmuboy View Post
    Also, a quick note on DL entertainment that is slightly TDL related. There are two things that really bothering me about DL right now. They are the poor use of the FL Theater and lack of a true parade.

The FL Theater is HUGE and should be used for a live show shown like 6 times a day to really suck up the crowds. Instead its only seeing a fraction of the people it should dressed up as a princess M&G. DL real estate is way too valuable to be wasted like this. Lets get a full scale show up and running here. I will make a TDL suggestion again and say that "One Man's Dream" show from the Showbase stage in TDL's TL would be a perfect for the FL Theater.
    Great minds think alike.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM7BXehrsGI]YouTube - One Man's Dream (part 1)[/ame]

• Member of Baxter's Army

WDI is certainly what they used to be.
    Not with Fitzgerald.

• We Go On.

WDI is certainly what they used to be. Look at all of TDS, look at Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor.

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Not with Fitzgerald.
    He hasn't affected the way WDI works. He's just obsessed with projection screens.

• Banned User

i have to agree in that Disney has been continuously letting us down in their lack of creative ingenuity over the last 10 years. Like AL said, since Indy, there has been no new e-tickets, only revamps of old attractions. They constantly have issues with outsourced ideas, they string us along with the hatbox ghost, they cut budgets with ROA. i'm not saying the management doesn't do a good job of maintaining what works, but they constantly show that they are too afraid and cheap to build on it. Walt said that so long as there was imagination in the world, that disneyland would never stop growing, i just think that the suits have completely lost sight of that and its becomes more and more evident with every Murphy the dragon, Hatbox ghost, canceled budgets in ROA, and no E-tickets in 15 years. the worst part is, that no matter how many issues i may have with it, i still love the park more then anything and i'll still end up going there 2-3 times a year, so they have no reason to change anything.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

"Page Down" is my friend.

Lots going on at the resort, anyone have anything to say about that?

• Collision speed....FULL!

Why people here don't know or understand this still puzzles me.

• IPAC

Question Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

what were the big enhancements for the river going to be?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ewo1992 View Post
    what were the big enhancements for the river going to be?
    New wildlife animatronics were to be added around the river, but alas, I don't think that is going to happen.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    New wildlife animatronics were to be added around the river, but alas, I don't think that is going to happen.
    And sadly this is true. The big Socal storms last month put a damper on the ROA enhancements being done during the refurb. Although they could get back on schedule with the enhancments, they still need to the maintence part which is important.

They could do it later on, not sure if it'll require the river to be drained again.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74