Page 261 of 262 FirstFirst ... 161211236251258259260261262 LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,915 of 3918

• Banned User

Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

And, per Pressler, by cramming every nook and cranny with generic Disney merch at high markups; packing the Park with high-ROI ODV carts; and swapping table service restaurants for mall style high-ROI food courts.

I believe this is an over-simplification. Pressler is responsible for opening DCA, which was notorious for having TOO MANY table-service restaurants. If his M.O. was pure the mallification of the DLR, this would not have happened.

Pressler was a profit chaser to a fault, but he would have gladly chased profits towards table service restaurants if the DLR crowd would support it. Hard to support a park full of lavish table service restaurants when your primary demographic would rather walk across the street and eat at a McDonald's to save a few bucks on those non blackout days that they do visit. When your competition is IHOP and McDonald's, you can't compete with $20 plates.

Pressler may be responsible for many mistakes, but he was just as much a reflection of the passholder clientele that Disney cultivated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    low-markup merchandise with generic, high-markup merchandise;

Yes, there's less unique "quickie" merch in each of the lands, but the selection at the Disney Gallery Store, Crystal Arts, Cristal d'Orleans, etc. is far from generic. Disney realized the typical tourists don't care and the Disney collector die-hards care deeply, so you got more generic in the standard shops and arguably more unique/lavish selections in the specialty shops like Disney Gallery. This seems to be more a reflection of Disneyland's demographic than some convoluted, Pressler plot.

Disney used to have one demographic (a "general" tourist). Now there are three:
    a) general tourist/family
    b) passholder
    c) Disney fan/collector

Disney started targeting these demographics more specifically as of late rather than trying (and failing) to appeal to everybody all at once. The largest recent example of this is the existence of D23: a targeted product/brand/approach focused solely at the types who would be on these forums. The "one demographic" mentality would never do something like that.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WED View Post
    Disney used to have one demographic (a "general" tourist). Now there are three:
    a) general tourist/family kiddies
    b) passholder teens
    c) Disney fan/collector
    Fixed that for ya.

Disney started targeting these demographics more specifically as of late rather than trying (and failing) to appeal to everybody all at once. The largest recent example of this is the existence of D23: a targeted product/brand/approach focused solely at the types who would be on these forums.
    Oh, you mean like this Type Who Would Would Be On These Forums...

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    Wow, I kind of don't see anything on here that interests me, except maybe the Lasseter/Carsland presentation (but won't this be at the Parks & Resorts area), MAYBE the Tony Baxter/Star Tours presentation, and the Marty Sklar panel. Where's the nostalgia, history and insight? All I see are a bunch of presentations about low-level, teeny-bopper oriented Disney stuff that is absolutely of no interest to me. Instead of the Studios doing one big presentation, why aren't they doing a big panel about the history and future of the Pirates franchise, or a sneak peek at The Avengers, or a panel with the makers of Brave? What about doing a whole "Vault Disney"-style marathon from Disney Channel to prove that Disney Channel actually is about more than providing an advertising vehicle to reach 7-year-olds?

All of these "meet and greets" with Disney artists hawking merchandise is not what I pay my money for.

Pressler may be responsible for many mistakes, but he was just as much a reflection of the passholder clientele that Disney cultivated....

This seems to be more a reflection of Disneyland's demographic than some convoluted, Pressler plot.
    Well, I see that the standard TDA rewrite of Pressler's history is still alive and thriving.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-10-2011 at 12:41 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

I noticed today that the NBC stuff has been moved back to "Le Bat en Rouge" and the Port Royal store now has that faux trendy Disney merch (young women's clothing).

• Minion

I believe this is an over-simplification. Pressler is responsible for opening DCA, which was notorious for having TOO MANY table-service restaurants. If his M.O. was pure the mallification of the DLR, this would not have happened.
    There werenít too many table service restaurants, but the ones they opened in DCA were high end ďnameĒ restaurants that probably provided them with some significant sponsorship money. His goal was to achieve Eisnerís demands. The eventual increase in ODV carts came after the restaurants pulled out of the park (due to lack of high spending guests) and they started shutting down the rest. When he realized that they can reduce overhead by closing the remaining restaurants (costly CMís), complaints increased concerning the lack of food in the park. Thatís when the ODV carts began to proliferate.*
    Pressler was a profit chaser to a fault, but he would have gladly chased profits towards table service restaurants if the DLR crowd would support it. Hard to support a park full of lavish table service restaurants when your primary demographic would rather walk across the street and eat at a McDonald's to save a few bucks on those non blackout days that they do visit. When your competition is IHOP and McDonald's, you can't compete with $20 plates.
    Pressler may be responsible for many mistakes, but he was just as much a reflection of the passholder clientele that Disney cultivated.
    There was no passholder pressure for food carts. During the Pressler years, there was constant pressure on the fledgling internet (rec.arts.disney) complaining about all the strategies he used (merchandise, maitenance, food) to pump up revenues and profits. If they were going to respond to passholder (and other guest) pressure, then they wouldnít have gutted merchandise, maintenance and other Disney quality standards.
    Yes, there's less unique "quickie" merch in each of the lands, but the selection at the Disney Gallery Store, Crystal Arts, Cristal d'Orleans, etc. is far from generic. Disney realized the typical tourists don't care and the Disney collector die-hards care deeply, so you got more generic in the standard shops and arguably more unique/lavish selections in the specialty shops like Disney Gallery. This seems to be more a reflection of Disneyland's demographic than some convoluted, Pressler plot.
    Again, based on internet comments at the time, the generic high return merchandise was NOT a reflection of the parkís demographic, but rather Presslerís demand that the park provide Eisnerís double digit returns.

• Minion

Another new treat at the DLR - "Belle Apples". A candy apple made to look like Belle's dress:

$14.95 for a candy apple!!!!!!!!!!

Holy ****!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
    Another new treat at the DLR - "Belle Apples". A candy apple made to look like Belle's dress:
    Wow, those are pretty detailed Candy Apples. I wonder if anyone buys one.

Do they do special Candy Apples for Halloween? It would be cool to have the 'dripping skull' design from Snow Whites.

• Johnny and Me!

Yes, there are several Halloweentime candy apples offered.
    Here are some of them:

Name:  Halloween-apples-2.JPG
Views: 530
Size:  131.1 KB

• Minion

Here are some Belle Apples under construction:

15 bucks for an apple? They better come with one wish for that price

• Future Indy Castmember

Had a chance to try the Soundsational Cupcake and its good for what it is.

By theforbiddeneye at 2011-08-14

The flavors in the description is in the frosting itself. The mickey photo is an edible white chocolate like the WoC Choco film strip from the WoC dinner in Ariels Grotto.

As I was unwrapping the bottom, the multicolor part extended to the cupcake itself.

By theforbiddeneye at 2011-08-14

Seems that the cake itself is like a lemon cupcake and the colors is just a food coloring.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Carbon based

Quick one: Not sure if it's been mentioned but the replacement of the AP processing on the Main Street (the old Plaza Pavillon) will be called the Jolly Holiday Bakery.

• Forgotten Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by TreoFred View Post
    Quick one: Not sure if it's been mentioned but the replacement of the AP processing on the Main Street (the old Plaza Pavillon) will be called the Jolly Holiday Bakery.
    ;D it has, but thanks for all the great info you've been pumping out!

• Carbon based

Quote Originally Posted by MrHatboxGhost View Post
    ;D it has, but thanks for all the great info you've been pumping out!
    Doh! You're obviously right, I even found the thread about it here
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...-pavilion.html

Ok, enough of the updates for today... I'll do more search from now on to make sure I'm not re-hashing the same info everybody already has

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan120420 View Post
    $14.95 for a candy apple!!!!!!!!!!

Holy ****!
    you took the words right out of my mouth
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th