Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Freshman Member

A few thoughts on Light Magic

It's become mythical I must say. It debuted at Disneyland while I was on 2 years of church service so I never got to see it. Finally, I viewed the video at Visions Fantastic and read the write up at Jim Hill and the whole voyage from conception to permanent hiatus after 15 weeks intrigued me.

1. It's much better than I assumed it to be, I was expecting horrific sights but overall much better than I expected.

2. The pixies were by far the weakest aspect to the show, looked too much like a Willow set.

3. The lighting around Main Street looked amazing, to say the least.

4. The music had too many vocals, and weak ones at that, the strong points of the soundtrack were the instrumentals and MSEP suite.

5. The extended show stops looked like a problem, with a mixture of floats (instead of identicals) with short stops, I think many more would have been able to experience the show instead of short sections along Main Street and IASW.

6. Characters in pajamas was a very strange idea.

7. The fiber optics were well done, the projections were not.

8. Disney marketing made peoples expectations too high, it should not have been billed as a MSEP replacement.

9. It looked better than Parade of Dreams (which in my opinion is pretty weak).

10. Disney pulled the plug much too quick and let AP holders dictate their decision.

• Reaver of Souls

Re: A few thoughts on Light Magic

I enjoyed LM, but admit it had flaws. But I also like DCA, and don't like the new fireworks all that much, so who cares what I think?
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I also enjoyed Light Magic. I think it's fatal flaw was simply that it followed the demise of MSEP and people assumed, and maybe it was marketed, to be a replacement. People saw it and immediately denounced it as unworthy based soley on expectations and comparisons. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

I think Light Magic, in and of itself, was a lovely show and I wish I could have seen it more than just once.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

I think the musical score was beautifully done. I love Celtic style music and Disney really did and outstanding job. The prologue of the show (The Dream Our Dreams song) was amazing. It really set you up for a great show, the music built your anticipation, or it did for me. The Floats came in very silently, almost stealth-like. But when the show actually started, it just seemed too "girly." It looked as if there was no choreography in the show at all. It's like the performers were told to just do whatever for 16 minutes. If there had been some organized dancing that actually fit the music, Light Magic might've lasted longer.

I've said it so many times before, but I just think that Light Magic would have been better if it was made in to an Irish Step-dance show for the Fantasyland Theatre.

I agree that 15 weeks was not nearly enough time to develop a following. By that last performance, I was really starting to like it. It just needed a wider viewing area where something actually happened rather than zooming past in total darkness to get to it's spot on Main Street.

Light Magic just wasn't magical enough... and I would have hated to be the guy who had to clean up all that confetti at the end of each stop. It was creative and colorful, but I just didn't feel enough Disney magic in it.

The lights on the otherhand have been a great addition to the park. It made the Mulan parade look beautiful and overall brightens the park walkways. (The Small World Prominade is awesome).
    Always let your conscience be your guide. - Jiminy Cricket

• On Autopilot

there was a MULAN parade!? *grumbles* Now THAT would have been good to see! I like the chinese/japanese style that the movie does so well.. but I can't say anything about Light magic since I was unfortunate (fortunate?) not to see it...

• Minion

One of the main reasons I disliked it .. Only one float to see. And even though there were 4 units total - They were all identical. Previously for 4 decades .. DL attendees were treated to PROCESSIONS where we got to see a VARIETY and QUANTITY of DIFFERENT floats to enjoy.

If Disney wants a STREETACULAR .. in which there's only ONE float to see .. the show better be darn good. Well .. it wasn't. And the rest is history.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Larxene1959
    there was a MULAN parade!? *grumbles* Now THAT would have been good to see! I like the chinese/japanese style that the movie does so well.. but I can't say anything about Light magic since I was unfortunate (fortunate?) not to see it...
    The Mulan parade was my favorite parade ever! It was the best- amazing costuems, talent straight from China with gymnasts and all. It was a truly wonderful parade- the last really good one they did, IMO. Although I haven't seen the new one yet. Too bad you missed it.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Minion

And I disagree with the "Disney let the APs decide" .... No matter who you are .. I don't think it takes a group of devoted connoisseurs to recognize it was a bad show, period. It happens. In entertainment .. doesn't matter how big or long-standing a company is .. Sometimes a company doesn't quite hit the mark.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Escapé
    And I disagree with the "Disney let the APs decide" .... No matter who you are .. I don't think it takes a group of devoted connoisseurs to recognize it was a bad show, period. It happens. In entertainment .. doesn't matter how big or long-standing a company is .. Sometimes a company doesn't quite hit the mark.
    also...........

but in my opinion ............. This was the start of Paul Pressler's tenure of collecting the wrong people to be making smart creative decisions. More time should have been devoted to creating a replacement for the Main Street Electrical Parade.

There were other good choices.

Spectromagic 2.0
    any one of TDL's night-time shows

There were choices.

But under the old leadership ... Their brains were all out to lunch.

A few parts of the problem, as I saw it:

1) The fad of Irish step dancing in America was already getting old by the time Light Magic premiered. Already the various Riverdance/Lord of the Dance/etc. was being regularly parodied, and media overexposure was making a large portion of the public sick of the whole thing, to the point that they'd see/hear Light Magic, go "GAAAAH!" and quickly leave.

2) When it was announced that MSEP was "Glowing away forever," the various press releases (and a.d.d. posts from CMs) would go on about how people needn't be sad, because an even better night spectacular, Light Magic, would soon take its place! They kept pushing Light Magic as being better than MSEP, and how it would make us forget that old Electric Parade with its ancient technology and floats that NEEDED to be retired, because the floats were so old they were about to fall apart and wouldn't last another season. (And then they sent those floats that wouldn't last another year to New York for the Hercules premiere, then to WDW and back to DCA. Hmmmm.) But it raised expectations to expecting Fantasmic-level brilliance, and only delivered something on the level of the old Disneyland Hotel Fantasy Waters. (Mind you, I miss the Fantasy Waters show, but it fits the metaphor)

3) The confetti literally got EVERYWHERE. You wouldn't have to look far to find those little pieces of mylar on Tom Sawyer's Island. You could walk along Harbor Blvd. or Katella and find Light Magic droppings on the sidewalk. It was a nightmare trying to keep the park tidy with all this confetti everywhere, especially at the same time that maintenance and janitorial positions were being cut.

4) It was a fairly confusing yet boring show, with lighting effects that became repetitious fairly quickly. Watching the same fairies dancing around the same float with mostly the same effects and no obvious purpose quickly became tedious. The little things that they did throught the show other than just "and now the fairies are going to do more step dancing while the lights continue to twinkle" -- okay, now we're joined by characters in pajamas; okay, now we're going to project something onto a screen that looks a lot like a commercial, if you can actually see it -- weren't enough to vary the sameness of it, and often just confused things more. Pajamas?? I found that the average reaction of guests afterwards was "What the heck was that all about??" Instead of happy faces after it ended, people looked befuddled.

Mind you, that's all just my opinion, and I know some people really loved it. But let's just say that it certainly wasn't universally popular. I've seen worse things, but... well, I can't say I was all choked up when it closed and didn't return.

• See you there!

The biggest problem (besides not realy caring for the show, just MHO) was that it was **not** a parade. It was a show that moved a few times. Some folks liked the show, I didn't (just my taste). I really liked the Main Street Electrical Parade, the new DCA version is OK, but not quite the same, for me.

I believe one problem may have been the amount of hype around the show, it was hyped as a replacement for the MSEP, and well, I don't believe it really was a suitable replacement (one opinion). I believe many people were expecting an updated MSEP, **a parade** that had modern technology and a **Disney theme**, I really couldn't see much Disney in the show, and I saw **less parade**. Had they kept MSEP in DL, and shown Light Magic occasionally, and in a fixed location (not tying the park up for hours) I believe it could have been different, maybe even more accepted by more folks. Well, it wasn't and that's what happened.

On most nights (at least when I was there) it seemed next to impossible to move around. To me it seemed next to impossible to get from one side of the park to the other before, during and for quite awhile after the show. Kind of made every night seem like trying t move around on New Years Eve or July 4. I don't think there were near that many people there every nignt, but it sure seemed like it to me.

Just some of my random thoughts, I don't claim to be representing anyone, ***just me*** and my opinion.

CU@DL

Andy

• A Pirate's life for me!

Due to most of the reasons listed above, when we were there for opening night, we were very disappointed. So much so, that when we were questioned by a CM on the way out, we slammed the performance and I even told the CM that it wouldn't last until the end of the year. They must have taken my words to heart...It was shut down after Labor Day.

Sorry. It had its good points, but just not enough.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I agree with what others have said. It would have made a great Stage Show. As Parades go it was too clunky.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast