Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• keh!

Jungles of the Lost (New Land)

Hey everyone, it seems that a lot of ideas have been popping up lately, almost every day. So Iím gonna try and squeeze through here and present to you all an idea I began sketching for since September 2009.

Some of you may have seen some of my ideas/artwork a few months ago when I posted my concepts for a Chinatown in DCA, that can be seen here:

http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/122897-chinatown-too-bad-wont-make-dca.html

This next idea is also a land, but not for Disneyland or DCA. But I guess this can be considered for a third gate (for the Anaheim resort), or I guess this could go with AK, but because I live in L.A., I would prefer this to be located in DL property ; ). But I designed this with intentions of just a land, Disney would be the company I can see doing something close to this. This land actually originated from some drawings I did about 8 years ago, Iíve just never put anything as elaborate on paper.

Iíd like to remind you all that the following drawings and ideas are all thought up by me and are not for a special project that is being built or for any company. Itís just fantasy : )

This land I simply call Jungles of the Lost. The basic concept can be compared to Adventureland but with a slightly different purpose. It is meant to take certain real world locations that are and have been a challenge for humans to reach, added with magic and myths. Jungles of the Lost features destinations such as Angel Falls, lost Mayan cities, Amazon-like rivers like from Canaima National Park in Venezuela, and other hints of features that have always given us a strong impression of mystery and the unknown, which is why these places are so fascinating.
    Here is the layout of the land:

Before I get to the rides, here is one of the entrances to the land. A bridge suspended by vines that leads under an arch like stone structure that is inspired by the Temple of the Rain God in Chichen Itza (which I visited back in 2004).

I designed a total of 3 attractions for this land. I will go over each one starting with the biggest thrill and the one I came up with years ago, the Angel Falls roller coaster that dominates the sky line. Iím not too good with naming, so I donít have an official name for the ride.

The story is that you are one of the first explorers to ever trek up to the top of Angel Falls. Before anyone ever step foot on the top of the Angel Falls, they wondered what animals or plants they could find up top. Some even speculated that dinosaurs were still alive up there (true story). So the guests must hop aboard a yet to have good design vehicle and journey through the thick jungles of Venezuela and up to the top of the falls to discover the wonders that exist there.

Here is the loading station made to look like a hut with some explorerís cargo:

This is the back of the Tepui, including one of the main lift hills taking guests all the way up:

Now here is where some fantasy comes in to play for this attraction. When the first explorers finally made it to the top, they obviously didnít find dinosaurs but uniquely shaped rocks that mimicked several animals. What I decided to do, instead of having a dinosaur, or just plain olí rocks, I drew a rock creature/monster who is disturbed up in his own domain. Out of rage the rock creature tries to attack the explorers (you) and the only way to escape it is the quickest way down the mountain. In other words, the big drop finale ; )

Here is a front view of the drop:

The ride drops into a dark canyon. This is an early sketch:

Afterward, the train does a few turns in the jungle and back into the station, and off you go, finishing your expedition.

I designed this ride with little limitation of ďfamily ride.Ē It does look quite extreme, but the drop doesnít necessarily have to be vertical until the absolute end. It can have some curve starting halfway and to the bottom : D I imagine the highest point on the Tepui to be slightly under 200 feet tall, so to not be required to place a red blinking light on top.

The Angel Falls roller coaster will probably be the one ride to take up the most real estate in the land.

Going back to the layout of the Jungles, the next attraction is a river raft ride with a little something extra pictured here:

This is the Canaima River attraction. No official name yet, Iím thinking along the lines of Canaima River Quest, Canaima River Journey, Canaima River Adventure, you get the idea.

Now many theme parks have this attraction, Disney has a couple and we know how they go. Wild rapids, get unpredictably wet, spin around, the end. Well I wanted something different which you will see. The story is that you are a competitive biologist and are seeking to find a new species of either plant, insect or animal in the jungles of Canaima.

Here is the beginning, once you load you begin to make your way down the river, faster and faster until you go over the falls (the right part so you wonítÖ you know, die):

The reason the water at the bottom is red is because certain minerals in the waters of the actual Canaima river make the water look like blood, kind of like a Coca Cola dark color. The raft continues down the river, swishing and splashing uncontrollably down the rapids. Soon it reaches a calmer point in the waters and drifts down into the dark depths of the jungle seen here:

Now here is the part that makes this attraction different than most built like it. The thickness of the vegetation serves as a transition to get the people inside the show building seamlessly. As they continue down their journey they enter a nearly pitch black jungle where they hear noises all around them. The guests soon find out they are surround by different species of animals found in South America, including some of the deadliest such as poison dart frogs, crocodiles, and even the jaguar. Now because the raft has the guests seated facing towards the center, most of the show will have to happen above them. Bats or jaguars or monkeys will all be part of the show above. To appreciate this show, the raft wonít be all crazy in the rapids, but more like a slow drifting river.

There will also be a surprise drop in the darkness (a drop like GRRís) towards the end of the ride. As the journey comes to an end, they see light and realize they are in a cave where rescuers call out leading them up and out of the cave:

In the day time it will be natural light entering the opening of the cave. At night I had the idea of the rescuers shining flashlights or light from their helmets down into the cave.

Now the darkness before the exit scene is time for the newly discovered species to ďemerge.Ē It will appear in the middle of the raft to guestsí surprise that a new species stumbled upon them. Here is how I thought it could work:

It could hide in the middle and something could trigger it to pop up when it passes by a certain point. Iím not an engineer, so the engineers can figure that out : )

Here are some new species of flowers I designed that could appear:

Originally I thought just flowers, but not until after I drew all this out did I realize it could also be an insect or small mammal.

Leaving this attraction, let me show you other areas of Jungles of the Lost. Back to the layout out, there will also be a jungle trail where guests can explore in this area:

Not an exploration trail like Redwood Challenge Trail, but like a real jungle trail where guests can stroll past a waterfall, marvel at ruins left by the Mayans, or even discover a crystal skull ; )

And oh yes, I think it would be awesome if there were a few zip lines where people can experience zooming through the jungle canopy : D

Back to the layout, here are some shops and restaurants:

This area is called Calle Puma Punku (road Puma Punku), named after what is thought to be one of the oldest cities in the world (look it up, itís awesome).

It is meant to be a small South American town, with references to places like Tiwanaku (another ancient site), Chichen Itza and Tikal (both Mayan cities). And yes I realize Chichen Itza and Tikal are not South American, but itís supposed to be a mix of anything from Mexico and South, lol.

So FINALLY we head down to the last attraction of this land, Mystic Mayan Ruins. In the layout it is shown as the Mayan step pyramid in the distance. This is perhaps the most complex attraction of the Jungles. I will go ahead and say it, this can be considered as a new ďPirates of the Caribbean.Ē But the adventure is quite different.

Here is the quick story: Guests are ďmagicallyĒ transported back in time to the days where the Maya thrived by exploring the ruins. They are invited by the chief of this city to explore his peopleís ancient grounds.

Here is an outdoor view of the attraction, the dome is inspired by El Caracol (ďThe SnailĒ in Spanish), said to be the astronomy observatory of the Mayan city Chichen Itza.

The boat ride begins by going up the main pyramid and into the throne room where guests see the jaguar throne (again inspired by an actual jaguar throne inside the main pyramid at Chichen Itza). The mystical powers of this jaguar unfolds and itsí jade eyes glow, revealing an exit, opening like the mouth of a jaguar of its teeth structured door.

Guests then take the first drop, past an ancient Ball Game field and into El Caracol, which also means they enter the main show room.

The first part of this ride will be drifting through a temple where the columns tell the Mayanís history in hieroglyphs. The hieroglyphs will close and become animated as the boat passes. Each column you pass tells a story further back in time, the more you drift, the older the time gets.

Guests then enter the astronomical part of the ride:

People will look up and see the universe (stars, nebulas, galaxies, comets). The Mayans were deeply involved in astronomy so I feel a scene like this is necessary to highlight that part of their history. The stone figures you see are Bakabs. The Mayans believed that four Gods named Bakabs held the sky up at North, South, East and West.

The boat then continues down where the first ďgagĒ is seen. A skeleton of the Mayan chief of this city will be moving, welcoming riders to his city. With special effects (and probably some pepperís ghost) he will transform in the flesh figure scene on the right:

Now one thing I want to mention is that I donít really think that if the Mayan audio-animatronics spoke English in the scenes, it would feel authentic. I want them to speak Mayan, but in order to know whatís going on in some scenes, Mayan masks will be placed along the ride, translating or hinting at what is happening:

Kind of like the talking skull before the first drop on Pirates, but more and in different styles.

Mystic Mayan Ruins will be quite massive and will feature many scenes depicting Mayan life and culture, EXCEPT the violent parts, lol. I donít want any corpses along the way for obvious reasons : )

The boat will visit a small village of how Mayans lived and will introduce the rain gag. Like a cartoon where itís sunny one second, and after a flash of thunder, rain pours:

Riders wonít necessarily get soaked, perhaps drizzled on. But the sides of this room is where you will hear the water drops furiously. The reason why it rains is because there you will see a statue of Chaac, the Rain God (picture on the left in the pic above) who summons the rain and covers himself.

Guests will also be treated to viewing a Mayan Ball Game. In this scene, several players go after a ball, one kicks it and it looks as if it will hit the people in the boat but quickly bounces back into the scene after hitting a rock on the lower part:

The boat then enters a temple where the head priest is conducting some unknown magic spell, a guard watches and some dude with wings shows off his ritual bird outfit:

The guests then enter the main part of town that features the markets and a festive ceremony:

I picture all sorts of traditional music, perhaps a catchy soundtrack of its own ; )

As everyone continues on, they come to a lift hill inside a temple and approach the finale, the Cenote whirlpool. The chief bids everyone goodbye and happy travels as it is time for you to return back to your own time.

The Mayans all gather around the Cenote to watch you leave. That part of the attraction, I imagine a track system that locks the boat in place so the boat doesnít tumble or flip upside down (unless you want to crawl out of the ride).

The boat exits a ruin and the masks bid you farewell, becoming inanimate and you enter the unloading station.

Well there you have it! Maaan that was long, eesh. Those are all the drawings I wanted to show for this idea of mine. I also thought that IF this were Disney related, Iím sure some kind of The Emperorís New Groove dark ride could be put in to please the kiddies. Or even an Up attraction. I of course did not design something like that because I could totally get sued, lol. But honestly, I donít care for something like that. I want this land to hold its own and not have to draw in a crowd with franchises. I would NOT want an Up attraction to serve as a highlight for this land up atop Angel Falls and dub it Paradise Falls.

What do you guys think? I know I probably took up a lot of your time. Iím usually not a guy who has many words to say, but on this occasion, I couldnít resist, hehe.

Feedback is appreciated : D

Re: Jungles of the Lost (New Land)

I love the look and theme and concept. My praise will be short and simple...

I hope you become an Imagineer.

• Disney + Menken fan

Amazing!!!
    You draw really good!
    Of all these Ideas I like the boat ride best (the astronomica room looks really beautyfull) I've read a big book about the mayans so I reconiced the ball game and other things. The whirlpool looks aslo realy cool (A atraction called De vliegende Hollander (The Flying Dutchman) is a water coaster that almost got a whirlpool just like yours but it was cut after the concept fase....)
    I hope to see more of your art and ideas in the future.

~Dex
    "Fish are friends! NOT food!"
    ~Finding Nemo

• Member; Mousketeer

Myth and cryptozoology with an ounce of realism
    for it's foundation.

Utterly masterful ideas.

And I will echo what Mojave expressed.

I hope you become an Imagineer.

• Future Skipper

You drew all that?! :jawdrops:
    But anyways, amazing. Very creative, and it has a Disney feel to it.
    Oh, and I really like your art style.
    Last edited by JungleCruiseFan; 02-09-2010 at 04:32 PM.

• keh!

thanks guys for the kind words, i'm glad you like my ideas : )

• Addicted to Disney

Did you actually make those drawings? If you did, WOW! I love your ideas and I hope this comes to fruition some how.

• keh!

Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You drew all that?! :jawdrops:
    But anyways, amazing. Very creative, and it has a Disney feel to it.

thanks JungleCruiseFan! yes i drew all of it, let me tell you, it was a loonnngg process! lol. i didn't work on these pieces day after day since september, but there were times where it would be probably 6 hours one day, 5 hours the next.

in the beginning, i thought "ok, i'll do concepts for this idea i have, i'll probably end up with a good 6 pieces." WRONG, as i continued one, another idea came up, then another, i couldn't stop it, lol. i felt it was necessary to get several perspectives of this land.

ultimately, i'm pleased w/ a few nice portfolio pieces : )

• Air Pirate

i hope you become an imagineer...
    -------------------------------------
    ďOnce you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.Ē
    ~Leonardo da Vinci

ďIf you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse.Ē
    ~Walt Disney

• Choir nerd

YES! I wish I had drawings that good for my concepts. I only have crummy maps.

• keh!

thanks ewo1992

it's ok Noski, i started this idea years ago with a crummy map too, i kind of wish i still had it, i have no clue where it is. it amazes me that i remembered the locations of each ride after all this time.

• keh!

Quote Originally Posted by Xedex View Post
    Amazing!!!
    You draw really good!
    Of all these Ideas I like the boat ride best (the astronomica room looks really beautyfull) I've read a big book about the mayans so I reconiced the ball game and other things. The whirlpool looks aslo realy cool (A atraction called De vliegende Hollander (The Flying Dutchman) is a water coaster that almost got a whirlpool just like yours but it was cut after the concept fase....)
    I hope to see more of your art and ideas in the future.

~Dex
    the ball game is fun to watch. i saw it in Cancun once at a big stadium show, incredibly difficult.

thank you for the kind words, i have other ideas (that are not related to the images i posted above) that i want to try to work on soon, when i finish them i'll share them here a few months down that line ; )

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    thanks ewo1992

it's ok Noski, i started this idea years ago with a crummy map too, i kind of wish i still had it, i have no clue where it is. it amazes me that i remembered the locations of each ride after all this time.
    I too don't have nearly enough artistic talent to try and present my ideas on paper.

Where did you learn to draw like this?
    Art classes? or did you teach yourself?
    What kind of material did you start drawing to really improve your artistic ability?
    Also what kind of tools did you use? Did you use a drawing pad to draw these directly into Photoshop, or did you scan your drawings and photoshop colors into them in post-production?
    Any info or tips you can give to someone just starting out would be awesome.

And I can't belive I forgot the most important part...
    GREAT JOB!!!
    Seriously, seeing competition like this of other people who want to be Imagineers is both inspiring and a little scary. I feel way under-qualified compared to people like you.

• Problem Child/Rocker

Fantastic ideas! Are those drawings digital or scans? I wish I could do that in Photoshop!
    We want to appeal to everyone and get rich quick. We want to be millionaires. I've got this plan to buy Tasmania you see...-Angus Young

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

These are very unique ideas, and love the drawings accompanying them...excellent work, thank you for sharing.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast