Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    238

    CM's maybe need more money to be happy.

    Well ppl have changed in general in this country so i don't expect DL workers to be any different but ive noticed as time goes on CM's with attitude seem to pop up more and more.

    I don't know if this is due to cost of living way out pacing their wage or what.

    I was with my girlfriend about 5 or 6 years ago and we were getting on Matterhorn, for some reason the guy thought we would both fit in the front part of the car(i'm 6-2 250lbs and she was 5 - 9 155), i have long legs and when i sat down my knee's where wedged up against the front of the car and my girfriend couldn't get in, i guess we were taking too long because the CM came up to me and said if i stopped doing steroids i could fit and walked off, well i was embarrassed(i'm on the big side and work out but just sorta fat too, not on drugs)and just in shock but my girlfriend started to yell at him and i told her to just forget it. She was pissed that whole day and didnt wanna let the guy get away with it but i didnt wanna ruin my day.

    After that day i took several years off DL

    About 3 years ago i went with a friend and i here someone yelling "get outta the way" i look back and a guy is pushing what looks like a ice cream cart, so i moved over, i really felt like saying @#%@ @#$ but im at DL so i just starred at him in disbelief.

    After that i took 2 years off DL.

    Well here we are again, 9 of us were staying 2 nights at GC and i told my brother we should buy passes that way we could save on ticket prices (because were going again and staying at PP) We had split up and when i got my passes it took about 25 - 30 minutes, (my feet were sore so i didnt mind sitting on the bench) but my brother got stuck in a long line and it took an hour. Next moring were at GC DCA entrance and we walk in but my brothers family gets stopped, the lady tells them their passes are no good and question's him about them in a very odd/insulting way like he did something wrong, she told him he couldn't go into park that he would have to go back over to DL and get them redone (when it was at end of MS by AL entrance), well that would mean A 72, 52, 35, 6, 3, year olds walking back over and waiting again and while we were there those days the park was crowded, so he told her NO, he said if you want to come to my room later and get the passes and redo them then fine but he wasn't wasting their vacation to redo them. She held the card up over her head and he reached up and grabbed them and walked in, i sat there watching this lady in disbelief that he grabbed his cards and walked by her, but really she was so out of line it wasn't even funny. He walked around pissed off for the next couple hours which sucked because it was his kids first ever time at DCA & DL. That night we go to take Monorail into DL and same thing, this guy tells my brother he can't get on monorail but he can walk to front entrance and down ms to get cards fixed, lol well this didn't even start to make sense, so my brother asked the guy for his manager, this guy was even dumber than the last, first thing he does is look at the cards and ask my brother if he made these at home on his computer and goes on to say he thought they were fake and he wasn't gonna let him on monorail. we showed are cards and told the guy we all just got these the night before but at different times. I think the only reason he let us on the Monorail was beacause my brother looked like he was gonna punch him he was so pissed. First thing we went and waited in line again, about 20 minutes, he was still pissed and he got the old "sorry i hope you have a great stay".

    Now of course almost all CM's are pretty cool but some just seem to have a little less than the nice happy attitude. Until like 6 years ago i never had a CM problem. A friendly CM goes a long ways to make the trip worth it but a unhappy rude CM and ruin my day. I blame it on how ppl are today in general, i don't know what causes these things, just sad, give these ppl a raise or something . . please . .

  2. #2

    • Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Clovis, Ca
    Posts
    13,191

    Re: CM's maybe need more money to be happy.

    and those people kinda make me mad in a way, cause there's a handful of people that would looove to work at disneyland, and these people are just taking up space for other people....
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

  3. #3

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,722

    Re: CM's maybe need more money to be happy.

    Omg, on behalf of Disneyland, I would like to apologize for what you went through! It really irks me when I hear stories like these! I see happen in front of me, and I always tell them when they are out of line. Sometimes they just don't care. I really really feel bad for what you had to go through! Some CMs are like that with guests and fellow CMs. It's just the way they are. It bugs me so much sometimes that I have to tell a lead because I feel sometimes they handle things with disrespect. These sort of things SHOULD not be happening and I wonder sometimes why they hired them. And the funny thing is that most of the grumpy mean ones are Full Timers who have been there for YEARS, and I'm still part time averaging 8 hours a week. I don't want to go on a tangent, but I would go as far to say it's a union problem. Because of the union the grumpy ones can stay for as long as they like unless they quit or steal something. Being disrespectful is not a reason for firing which I disagree with.

    Of course there are the amazing CMs that have been there that I look up to and hope to be someday. I just really wish Disney did something filter out the bad ones because there really are quite a few and it really bugs me. Next time DO NOT hesitate to ask for a manager or complain to City Hall. The managers would be more than happy to help you. Even if you just want to complain go to a friendly CM and vent, sometimes thats what we're there for. I really am sorry that you had to go through this! I hope you consider coming back soon and encounter the great CMs!

  4. #4

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    238

    Re: CM's maybe need more money to be happy.

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    Omg, on behalf of Disneyland, I would like to apologize for what you went through! It really irks me when I hear stories like these! I see happen in front of me, and I always tell them when they are out of line. Sometimes they just don't care. I really really feel bad for what you had to go through! Some CMs are like that with guests and fellow CMs. It's just the way they are. It bugs me so much sometimes that I have to tell a lead because I feel sometimes they handle things with disrespect. These sort of things SHOULD not be happening and I wonder sometimes why they hired them. And the funny thing is that most of the grumpy mean ones are Full Timers who have been there for YEARS, and I'm still part time averaging 8 hours a week. I don't want to go on a tangent, but I would go as far to say it's a union problem. Because of the union the grumpy ones can stay for as long as they like unless they quit or steal something. Being disrespectful is not a reason for firing which I disagree with.

    Of course there are the amazing CMs that have been there that I look up to and hope to be someday. I just really wish Disney did something filter out the bad ones because there really are quite a few and it really bugs me. Next time DO NOT hesitate to ask for a manager or complain to City Hall. The managers would be more than happy to help you. Even if you just want to complain go to a friendly CM and vent, sometimes thats what we're there for. I really am sorry that you had to go through this! I hope you consider coming back soon and encounter the great CMs!
    Thank you for the kind words, I know these CM's aren't but a few, most are still pretty darn nice and want you to have the best day. The funny thing was the Matterhorn guy was a really fat kid about 19 or so and figured to have muscle at all you had to be on drugs. Now these 3 ppl who were unkind about the AP cards were all older(55 or older) and they seemed to think nothing of accusing a guest of wrong doing, that too me was pretty darn strange, i think having our room keys is another reason we got on monrail that night.

  5. #5

    • Golden Dreamer!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    654

    Re: CM's maybe need more money to be happy.

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    Omg, on behalf of Disneyland, I would like to apologize for what you went through! It really irks me when I hear stories like these! I see happen in front of me, and I always tell them when they are out of line. Sometimes they just don't care. I really really feel bad for what you had to go through! Some CMs are like that with guests and fellow CMs. It's just the way they are. It bugs me so much sometimes that I have to tell a lead because I feel sometimes they handle things with disrespect. These sort of things SHOULD not be happening and I wonder sometimes why they hired them. And the funny thing is that most of the grumpy mean ones are Full Timers who have been there for YEARS, and I'm still part time averaging 8 hours a week. I don't want to go on a tangent, but I would go as far to say it's a union problem. Because of the union the grumpy ones can stay for as long as they like unless they quit or steal something. Being disrespectful is not a reason for firing which I disagree with.

    Of course there are the amazing CMs that have been there that I look up to and hope to be someday. I just really wish Disney did something filter out the bad ones because there really are quite a few and it really bugs me. Next time DO NOT hesitate to ask for a manager or complain to City Hall. The managers would be more than happy to help you. Even if you just want to complain go to a friendly CM and vent, sometimes thats what we're there for. I really am sorry that you had to go through this! I hope you consider coming back soon and encounter the great CMs!
    I agree with you here! There are alot of great CM's out there that love Disney and go beyond the normal expectations of guests. If you have any problems go ahead and talk to us cast members. We can call our managers and maybe they can talk to their managers for you.

  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    98

    Re: CM's maybe need more money to be happy.

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    These sort of things SHOULD not be happening and I wonder sometimes why they hired them. And the funny thing is that most of the grumpy mean ones are Full Timers who have been there for YEARS, and I'm still part time averaging 8 hours a week. I don't want to go on a tangent, but I would go as far to say it's a union problem. Because of the union the grumpy ones can stay for as long as they like unless they quit or steal something. Being disrespectful is not a reason for firing which I disagree with.

    Of course there are the amazing CMs that have been there that I look up to and hope to be someday. I just really wish Disney did something filter out the bad ones because there really are quite a few and it really bugs me. Next time DO NOT hesitate to ask for a manager or complain to City Hall. The managers would be more than happy to help you. Even if you just want to complain go to a friendly CM and vent, sometimes thats what we're there for. I really am sorry that you had to go through this! I hope you consider coming back soon and encounter the great CMs!
    I totally agree with you... I worked in a Grocery store union for 5 years and in that time I did more work and held more job titles than anyone else. The 'Union' who I paid to be a part of (in order to keep my job) was no help at all, when I was harassed by my boss they left me high and dry. I ended up getting a promotion on my own and became a Award winning Manager. But again the 'union' left me with employees that could do what ever they wanted (short of stealing) and I just had to take it. My dept. that I took over saw a 75% sales increase and the customers were happy to have someone they could depend on. All of this was because of my attitude. The people who put that Dept. in the hole to begin with got to keep their jobs and got to do what they wanted to. (Take off when they wanted, only perform the tasks they felt like doing, one employee had the gall to not only have every Sunday off but then she wanted to take off every Saturday. I was the Boss and didn't even get that!)

    But Enough about unions... DLR maybe they do need a CM shake up. Are all CMs bad? Heck No! For the most part they are awesome and help make a persons stay even better. Should the part timers that are starving for hours and are still giving there all for the customer be promoted~ YES!

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    238

    Re: CM's maybe need more money to be happy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Voyage fan View Post
    I agree with you here! There are alot of great CM's out there that love Disney and go beyond the normal expectations of guests. If you have any problems go ahead and talk to us cast members. We can call our managers and maybe they can talk to their managers for you.
    Three reasons i try and just blow that stuff off.
    1) Even in 2 days i never get to see and do everything i want to at the parks and hotels, so last thing i wanna do is wait around to make a complaint.
    2) When i think about the guy at the Matterhorn i think he must have just been a real unhappy person and for some reason something about me just set him off, i wasn't really even pissed just embarrassed.
    3) I'm thinking DL has just changed and so have their CM's.

  8. #8

    • Golden Dreamer!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    654

    Re: CM's maybe need more money to be happy.

    Quote Originally Posted by metchick01 View Post
    I totally agree with you... I worked in a Grocery store union for 5 years and in that time I did more work and held more job titles than anyone else. The 'Union' who I paid to be a part of (in order to keep my job) was no help at all, when I was harassed by my boss they left me high and dry. I ended up getting a promotion on my own and became a Award winning Manager. But again the 'union' left me with employees that could do what ever they wanted (short of stealing) and I just had to take it. My dept. that I took over saw a 75% sales increase and the customers were happy to have someone they could depend on. All of this was because of my attitude. The people who put that Dept. in the hole to begin with got to keep their jobs and got to do what they wanted to. (Take off when they wanted, only perform the tasks they felt like doing, one employee had the gall to not only have every Sunday off but then she wanted to take off every Saturday. I was the Boss and didn't even get that!)

    But Enough about unions... DLR maybe they do need a CM shake up. Are all CMs bad? Heck No! For the most part they are awesome and help make a persons stay even better. Should the part timers that are starving for hours and are still giving there all for the customer be promoted~ YES!
    I agree with you here on this point as well. If the CMs who do their jobs well were treated with higher respect they might be able to peform.

  9. #9

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,722

    Re: CM's maybe need more money to be happy.

    I also agree with all the posts. I can go on about how much I dislike the union! They even sent out an article a few weeks ago to all CMs talking about how horrible it is to work at DLR! That really set me off. And I won't even go into the strike thats going on right now.

    Another option would be to right letters. You can do them on your own free time and they usually almost always respond.

  10. #10

    • Golden Dreamer!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    654

    Re: CM's maybe need more money to be happy.

    Yup. If you write letters showing your dissatisfaction it may help as well.

  11. #11

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: CM's maybe need more money to be happy.

    Disneyland CM's deserve a helluva lot more than a raise. They deserve the kind of dedicated, longterm, up-from-the-ranks management that Disneyland had pre-Eisner and Pressler.

    To see what it was like then, and how much has changed since, read Window on Main Street: 35 Years of Creating Happiness at Disneyland Park -- written by Van France, who from 1955 headed the training of employees in the "art of Disneyland hospitality."


    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  12. #12

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    919

    Re: CM's maybe need more money to be happy.

    You can have the best managers and the best pay in the world, but some people will always be jerks, no matter their circumstance. In the OP, the examples of those particular CM's could only leave that as the final result. Those individuals that you had run ins with were just jerks. Rude ones at that. You could pay them $1,000 an hour and it probably would only turn them into jerks with superiority complexes.

    Honestly, while I know you didn't want those experiences to ruin your day, I wish you had gone to City Hall or someone higher up so that their attitudes could be adjusted or removed. Sure, you came back a few years later, but what if it weren't you and that same comment were made to someone who only had one shot at a Dream Disney vacation? The only way to make sure things are fixed is to speak up when the situation warrants it, and all of those examples** are definitely moments that should have been spoken up about.



    **(with the exception of the vending cart, because truly, people don't listen, and those things look like they weigh a LOT to have to slow down to try and go around a strolling tourist)

  13. #13

    • "YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE.."
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    126

    Re: CM's maybe need more money to be happy.

    Having worked at Disneyland, I can tell the pay could always be higher. I worked in show support, which had a slightly higher pay scale than attraction and food service employees. Great for me... but keep in mind, which CMs do you come into contact with 90% of the time? Exactly. Pay those departments more because they deal with guests. And while your at it, bump my pay too cause I was skilled labor :P

    I can tell you all though, Disneyland can be a whole lot of fun to work, but it can also be one heck of a long day. In peak seasons, some shifts can exceed 10 hours. So I think we need to remind ourselves of that. You might love your job... but if it's your 9th day in a row working there and you're not sure if you're getting home in time for dinner... well.... the smile might be a little more forced.

    Safety and Efficiency are a huge priority for CMs, not show. And there is some merit to that. Here are some examples...

    Those ice cream carts can be heavy, and they can break an adult toe, if someone isn't watching it. You might notice they even have big red e-break buttons on them if it starts to loose control on a hill.

    When fantasmic is getting ready, the yellow shirts absolutely do not have the time to courteously answer every question. They just don't. They'll smile, but their job is simple. To get you out of the way, and to keep the walkways open. If they weren't as assertive as they are, traffic would back up. And while that seems to us as only a minor annoyance, it's a serious safety concern. Should someone have an emergency, proper staff would need to be able to get there ASAP. Not to mention how testy people can get when you box them in together.

    All that said, the turnstile CMs seemed rather short with you. It is a good idea to bring things up to City Hall, not just the CMs behavior but also your tickets and why they're shooting up red flags every where you go. Hope their nicer to you in the future.... though I'm sure they will be.

  14. #14

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,722

    Re: CM's maybe need more money to be happy.

    Quote Originally Posted by NCTJoe View Post
    Having worked at Disneyland, I can tell the pay could always be higher. I worked in show support, which had a slightly higher pay scale than attraction and food service employees. Great for me... but keep in mind, which CMs do you come into contact with 90% of the time? Exactly. Pay those departments more because they deal with guests. And while your at it, bump my pay too cause I was skilled labor :P

    I can tell you all though, Disneyland can be a whole lot of fun to work, but it can also be one heck of a long day. In peak seasons, some shifts can exceed 10 hours. So I think we need to remind ourselves of that. You might love your job... but if it's your 9th day in a row working there and you're not sure if you're getting home in time for dinner... well.... the smile might be a little more forced.
    Did you work for the same company I did? LOL I NEVER have gotten overtime, even when I beg them, and they never give me a sixth day! Shoot, I'll trade you! I never have anything to do and I just want to work, but there never is enough hours! Of course you were full time, but still! I want more hours! Every time I hear stuff like that, I always say, where are my hours?! I want to work 9, 10 days in a row. For me, it gets me in a flow. Right now, with only 8 hours or so a week, I find myself lazier when I finally do go to work. In the holidays, when I have 5 days, I find myself working much more efficiently and having more fun. I really wish there were full time positions open because(well at least for me), when I work more, I work much more effectively, nicer, and with a flow(which is why I'm actually considering transferring to another department, Merch is so stingy with hours). GIVE ME MORE HOURS DISNEY!

    Sorry about the rant...

  15. #15

    • "YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE.."
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    126

    Re: CM's maybe need more money to be happy.

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    Did you work for the same company I did? LOL I NEVER have gotten overtime, even when I beg them, and they never give me a sixth day! Shoot, I'll trade you! I never have anything to do and I just want to work, but there never is enough hours! Of course you were full time, but still! I want more hours! Every time I hear stuff like that, I always say, where are my hours?! I want to work 9, 10 days in a row. For me, it gets me in a flow. Right now, with only 8 hours or so a week, I find myself lazier when I finally do go to work. In the holidays, when I have 5 days, I find myself working much more efficiently and having more fun. I really wish there were full time positions open because(well at least for me), when I work more, I work much more effectively, nicer, and with a flow(which is why I'm actually considering transferring to another department, Merch is so stingy with hours). GIVE ME MORE HOURS DISNEY!

    Sorry about the rant...
    You know, maybe it had to do with when I worked, and when you work. At Christmas time, when it gets hectic, some positions get short staffed, so people get asked to stay. Though that was back when Disney couldn't staff the park fast enough. Now with the hiring freeze, I imagine shifts are stingier.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. CM's Please
    By Sheveyman in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 10:01 AM
  2. How To Get CM's More Money
    By sixwoofys in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 04-22-2007, 10:59 AM
  3. CM's '94 -'97 & the ZOO
    By MissTheMouse in forum Break Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2007, 08:02 PM
  4. This could help the CM's and DLR...
    By Redsix in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 09:33 AM
  5. Hot CM's
    By Mr.DooDah in forum Lost Boys
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 02:29 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •