Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress

I was reading the article today about Walt Disney World and I can't believe how many people want to see the Carousel go. That attraction is a Walt Disney classic and shouldn't be tossed out. Heck, if they don't want it, I'll gladly see it come back to Disneyland. They don't know how lucky they are to still have an historical Disney attraction like that still in their park. And I don't care how many people say that the Carousel of Progress is outdated, I would take back Carousel of Progress any day. I'm so tired of hearing people say that about attractions. First they say Carousel of Progress would be a bad idea to bring back because it's old and "outdated," yet they're the same people to say they're thrilled to see Submarine Voyage return.

Anyway, Walt Disney World, you better be thankful you have an irreplacable attraction like that with you.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress

I wouldn't mind if DL made a plea with higher-ups to take the Carousel back. Current management seems to be more up to refurbing and restoring classic rides.

But even if they don't, I already posted about this in the WDW thread. The Carousel is pretty old, only four years younger than the Monorail system. Since that time it was built as a presentation for a corporate sponsor who then pulled out of the sponsorship. Without having to spend very much on the attraction (GE effectively funded the thing) it got a long play at DL and then a long play at WDW. Disney got all the lifespan they could have asked for and then some out of the Carousel. So if it does leave us now, it would be hard to argue that it's lifespan was cut short.

And besides, isn't the moral of the whole ride that it will someday become something better? There's kind of an irony in keeping around an old attraction whose message is that everything will be supplanted with something better as time goes by.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

I think they should bring back the Carousel, but with a different show. They should make an Animatronic version of Walt Disney, and have him show how the Disney legacy has influenced the progress of America. Start with him doing the Alice comedies, then progress through the past 100 years, and end with Abraham Lincoln watching "Song of the South" on DVD with Walt. Or something like that. At the very least, get rid of Innoventions. It's future has come and gone.

Wasn't the rotating theatre a revolutionary design; up to six shows performing at once? I still hear people, even the Cast Members at Innoventions call the building the Carousel Theatre. They don't call it the Innoventions building.