• Banned User

Disneyland’s Recent Rise In Attendance, Will it Last?

I know that for the most part the massive crowds are attributed to the 50th but is that all there really is to the recent spike in attendance? The 50th came at a perfect time for Disneyland. After the colossal failure of DCA the Parks needed a boost to get up off the ropes. It also came at a perfect time from a current event standpoint. With so many problems going on around the world, 9/11, natural disasters, wars and so on, it seems that a lot of people are looking for a way to escape reality and DL is the perfect place for just that. Plus with the Angels doing so well, the added attention for Anaheim was great for the park as well. It just looks as if everything is going Disneyland’s way, but will it last? When the 50th ends will the attendance drop and interest wane?

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Disneyland’s Recent Rise In Attendance, Will it Last?

Well, certainly attendance is higher when you have "new product" than when you don't. However, if you're asking will it drop to pre-50th levels, I'd say it probably won't drop all the way. Why? Word of mouth. Disneyland is in the best shape it's been in since the Pressler era. People came then, thought the park wasn't as magic as they remembered it, and let a lot of time pass by before visiting again. The 50th was a significantly momentous occasion to bring some of those folks back in. This time, they see an improved park, a cleaner park, etc. And it helps that all those attractions getting extreme makeovers pre-50th are now open They'll go home happier, and probably return sooner. They'll probably bring their friends, kids, and/or kids' friends.

So even though it won't be "50th crowds", the crowds will be slightly increased from "pre-50th". That's what happens when you take care of the park and make sure your guests have a good experience.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

The key to success in keeping Disneyland's numbers up will definitely be Quimet's capacity to shell out new shows and attractions year after year. It gives guests something to look forward to on their next visit. Coming into the 50th celebration, besides the new parade, fireworks show, Buzz Lightyear, and Space Mountain - I found great pleasure in noticing new tweaks to some of my favorite attractions. New additions to Jungle Cruise and PotC were huge treats that I wasn't expecting. The upkeep and attention to detail will definitely boost Disneyland's reputation back up.

Attendance for the season has been larger than expected and word has been that Disney's 50th float for the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade will actually aim to promote vacationing at Disney World instead of DLR (more hotel rooms at WDW to fill up). It's been good for DL. Now to boost DCA...
    Always let your conscience be your guide. - Jiminy Cricket

• Minion

I think attendance will continue to be good. I suspect that attendance will drop off once the Honda Give-A-Car promotion is over and with the holidays...attendance for during the week will lighten. I do suspect that weekend attendance after Thanksgiving and before Christmas will be lower than it has been (vs. September and October).

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

My guessis yes and no. The park is in great shape like stated and word of mouth about how good tings are now will keep people coming back...but TDL dropped after it's last celebration and that park is kept in good shape so it is hard to call.

•   
    • Minion

I think the key is Tomorrowland... As the subs reopen... And PeopleMover... A new film replacing HISTA... A new Mission at StarTours...

DCA is another matter entirely...
    Check out my other blog:

• Hooterville, USA

If they continue to sell AP's at the low price, attendance won't ever drop like before.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    If they continue to sell AP's at the low price, attendance won't ever drop like before.
    I wouldn't say they are a low price. When I bought my first PAP 2or 3 years ago it was $220. That was a good deal considering the discounts that a PAP provided.
    Now they are $349, and I'm not sure I'm gonna re-up in April. When you aren't "local" (I live in Fresno and visit 2-3 times a year) it's difficult to justify the PAP.
    What we may consider doing is buying one PAP (in either my or my wifes name)and using it for the discounts, and buying a 3-day hopper for the other entrance fee into the Park. It might be more economical to visit that way.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Still wants to be a cat!

Tourisim is up world wide, people are traveling farther and spending more than they have since 9/11, if the trend keeps up and DL stays in shape and new attractions are opened, I would imagine the crowds will keep coming.....of course lighter crownds during the school year and heavier during the summer.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999
    Tourisim is up world wide, people are traveling farther and spending more than they have since 9/11, if the trend keeps up and DL stays in shape and new attractions are opened, I would imagine the crowds will keep coming.....of course lighter crownds during the school year and heavier during the summer.
    what Wolfy said. The tourism industry nearly died following 9/11 and it died enough that I had to find a new career path. Four years later people are bringing it back to life, taking vacations etc.. Disneyland is in a great period right now with the park looking great, new attractions opening and reopening and even more on the way. Attendance may diminish slightly once the 50th celebration is over, but it will certainly be higher than the Pressler era days.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Disney is once again pushing the AP program, Ads up at the Ticket Booths, the back cover of the recent Westways Mag is a full page ad for the AP program.

And Disney is using Coke products in the SoCal area to push more SoCal and SoCal Select AP's, making a SoCal AP just $129.

I think that the large amount of SoCal/SoCal Select AP's are affecting the off-season a lot, as many folks are being priced out of the Deluxe and Premium AP's. Also, since much of DCA lacks repeatibility, the AP holders are speniding much of their time at Disneyland, and it shows. Add the additional tourists coming for the 50th, and you have a busy off-season.

Disney has already announce the return of the Adults at the Kids Price and the Kids Free Multi-Day Advance Purchase ParkHoppers, for January thru April 2006, and rumors are the the "Pay for Disneyland, get DCA for FREE!!!" tickets also returning to help drive some attendance to that park. We know that Disney will spend some advertising money on the opening of Monsters, Inc, and the redo of the surrounding area in Early 2006.

So don't expect the crowds to get smaller after Christmas....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999
    We'll see how long that holds as the price of oil continues to climb....
    Check out my other blog: