View Poll Results: Are Main Street, Critter Country, ToonTown, and NOS "lands" or "areas"?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Areas"

18 18.56%
  • "Lands"

74 76.29%
  • Other (please explain)

2 2.06%
  • Unsure

3 3.09%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Re: Debate: "Land" vs. "Area"

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    So DCA is a mix
    To say the least.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    So DCA is a mix

I would say it is a conversion process to mirror disneyland

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    I need help settling a debate my partner, Robert, and I are having regarding a few sections at Disneyland. Would you consider the following to be "lands" or "areas"?

• Main Street, U.S.A.
    • Mickey's ToonTown
    • New Orleans Square
    • Critter Country
    they're not lands or areas

Main Street U.S.A. is a town

Mickey's Toon Town is a town

New Orleans Square is a square within a town

Critter Country, is the critters Country...

The ones which are Lands, state it so at the end of what type of land they are.

• Banned User

Aren't some of these places just areas within a land? Like NoS and Critter Country are still considered as being in Frontierland right? Toontown is a town within Fantasyland and Main Street USA.. well, technically we are in the USA before we get into the park itself so have we now gone from USA to USAland?? So I would consider it an area more than a land, as a stretch one could say that they are sub-lands??

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    they're not lands or areas

Main Street U.S.A. is a town

Mickey's Toon Town is a town

New Orleans Square is a square within a town

Critter Country, is the critters Country...

The ones which are Lands, state it so at the end of what type of land they are.
    This may be true, however if that is the case then the phrase, "In a land far, far away," would be inaccurate in more than one occasion. Furthermore, does that mean that only countries that end in "land" (The Netherlands) are actually lands and the other countries are just countries or towns or areas? Sometimes the term "land" can be used in the context of, "I'm off on a trip to a far away land," when the "land" could be China, India, Australia, Canada, etc.

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    This may be true, however if that is the case then the phrase, "In a land far, far away," would be inaccurate in more than one occasion. Furthermore, does that mean that only countries that end in "land" (The Netherlands) are actually lands and the other countries are just countries or towns or areas? Sometimes the term "land" can be used in the context of, "I'm off on a trip to a far away land," when the "land" could be China, India, Australia, Canada, etc.
    Back in the Medieval ages, you'd have a Lord of the Land/Lands, thus where the term "in a land far, far away." You'd hear crows nest boys crying out "land ho!" simply when they saw earth/soil/land. It's amazing what we pull from history still today. They didn't have area's back then.

Walt got the idea for the name of Disneyland from the old Hollywoodland sign (back when they were trying to sell land [as in soil/earth] around Hollywood). He then named the "lands" as such. Though he always wanted to welcome guests to his lands through the charm in which he himself grown up with (Main Street), in such it's not truly considered a "land" in the same definition.

Land usually talks about from some sort of Border to Border another sort of border... Seeing how Main Street U.S.A. is a town in a County, they don't call it a land. Toon Town can be seen the same way. New Orleans has gone even farther and given the illusion of a Port right behind the Square you're walking around in by having the visual of sailing ships in the background.

We don't refer to New Orleans Square as the Area or Land of New Orleans Square... It's simply called New Orleans Square. Neither a land or an area, but a squire in the Disney definition. Same goes for Main Street U.S.A., and Mickey's Toon Town.

I'd be happy to take you on the Land tour if you'd like sometime ;-)
    Last edited by DisneyMouse; 02-17-2010 at 03:30 PM.

• Minion

^ I don't agree. Every all the lands that the OP listed have their own theme, meaning that they are all separate. Main Street is absolutely considered a land because it has its own theme. When WestsideCM99 says that we aren't in the park when we are on Main Street is ridiculous. You enter the park when you go under the tunnels. Also, Main Street is used as the only entrance/exit, but it is still considered a land with its own theme.

NOS is a land and not a district or area of Frontierland because it has its own separate theme, as does Toontown and Critter Country.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    ^ I don't agree. Every all the lands that the OP listed have their own theme, meaning that they are all separate. Main Street is absolutely considered a land because it has its own theme. When WestsideCM99 says that we aren't in the park when we are on Main Street is ridiculous. You enter the park when you go under the tunnels. Also, Main Street is used as the only entrance/exit, but it is still considered a land with its own theme.

NOS is a land and not a district or area of Frontierland because it has its own separate theme, as does Toontown and Critter Country.
    I admit that the Main Street thing is a stretch on my part but to me it isn't a land. Even Walt himself designed Main Street in part to be an "opening credits" of sorts for the rest of the park. I can see how it can be rationalized as a land but I still don't see it. I still think that NoS and CC are all just areas existing within the greater Frontierland. Another thing that I thought about was Storybook Land, because of the name would you call it a land? Or is it just an area attraction located within the greater Fantasyland?

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I personally think that they are just "areas," but I would actually classify them as "Districts." New Orleans Square was suppose to be a stepping-off point for the American West, and it was to be adjacent to Frontierland, so I would classify it as a district.

Mickey's Toontown is adjacent to Fantasyland because the cartoon-ish land is more modern than the Fantasyland area of the park, and because Fantasyland has a cartoon-like feel.

• Off to Neverland

I chose land for majority sake... cuz Main Street is the only one of those I don't consider a land.

• Minion

"Area" is so utilitarian, clinical and nondescript. It shouldn't be used for anything. "Land" is much more evocative, alluring and enchanting.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    I admit that the Main Street thing is a stretch on my part but to me it isn't a land. Even Walt himself designed Main Street in part to be an "opening credits" of sorts for the rest of the park. I can see how it can be rationalized as a land but I still don't see it. I still think that NoS and CC are all just areas existing within the greater Frontierland. Another thing that I thought about was Storybook Land, because of the name would you call it a land? Or is it just an area attraction located within the greater Fantasyland?
    On all park guides and official park maps, New Orleans Square and Critter Country are classified as their own lands. They both have a distinct and separate theme from the rest of Frontierland. I can see how we disagree about Main Street though. We all have our opinions. Storybook Land in in Fantasyland. It is just a name given to an area of Fantasyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    "Area" is so utilitarian, clinical and nondescript. It shouldn't be used for anything. "Land" is much more evocative, alluring and enchanting.
    I know people hate it when posters only post a smilie, but

• Senior Minion

Disney says that DL has eight lands in lots of advertising. I think it's pretty clear that each are considered lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Disney says that DL has eight lands in lots of advertising. I think it's pretty clear that each are considered lands.
    Amen!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast