View Poll Results: Are Main Street, Critter Country, ToonTown, and NOS "lands" or "areas"?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Areas"

18 18.56%
  • "Lands"

74 76.29%
  • Other (please explain)

2 2.06%
  • Unsure

3 3.09%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Re: Debate: "Land" vs. "Area"

Looking for more votes, everybody. Robert and I want as many votes as possible. Keep it up! Thanks!

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

land

• Nerd

Toon Town Land? Noooooooooooooooooooooo.

I DO know that down by the water is a smoking AREA though.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Vroom, vroom!

~throws down two pennies~
    OK. My opinion,
    Main Street Is not quite a land nor an area but its a place, Kind of like as someone earlier said opening credits and closing credits to disneyland as a whole.
    NOS is the Stepping off point of frontier land, Looking at it from stepping off the train as walt intended you are in New Orleans looking out on the river and beyond it is the wild untaimed west. going around the river you are in the rural south not quite the frontier yet but still the untaimed area of the south this is critter country.
    So all in all this is all technicly Frontierland.
    Toon Town to me is the town where the cartoon charicters from short subjects live IE the fab 5 and roger rabbit (even though he is from a movie he is suposed to be a cartoon star from shorts like mickey and bugs)
    So In the long run I had to say areas over lands because all of these are areas of another land other than Main Street.
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

• Semi-Lurker

I went to the grand opening of Big Thunder Ranch in '86. The marketing department, in what many considered one of the greatest exaggerations, promoted it as the first new "land" in DL since NOS. Ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by matterhornlove31 View Post
    This has nothing to do with the thread, but I am at a complete loss to the third Alice Ride. The Teacups and the dark ride are all I could think of. What is the third, as it has slipped my mind
    Who said there were 3
    Janette

Lovin' the responses so far, everybody! Keep it up!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Leofoenget View Post
    Who said there were 3
    Earlier I had said that there was an Alice area in Fantasyland that consists of 3 Alice rides and shops. I meant that there were 2 rides and 1 shop, the Mad Hatter, plus the restrooms in Matterhorn Way are Alice themed. I consider all the Alice stuff together to be an area and all the previously mentioned lands in debate lands.

Sorry if that was confusing!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    Actually, when DCA first opened its various areas were called "districts," if I recall correctly, to play up the park's attempts to be more sophisticated and adult-centric. Anyone may correct me if I'm wrong, though.
    P.S. I voted lands!
    Yep, 3 original "DISTRICTS" in DCA. The "Sunshine Plaza" was not a District, a sort of no-man's land. tee-hee-hee.

The 1st two Districts that were given specific direction were Hollywood Pictures Backlot and Paradise Pier. The 3rd area was catch all was given the name Golden State. Those were the 3 District in DCA on opening day. And since Golden State was suppose to include everything else in California, it ended up being composed of several different ideas, including a desert airstrip, a state park, a San Francisco section, with a wharf, and a winery. After all the Golden State was planned to be Condor Flats, Grizzly Peak, and Pacific Wharf. Then Michael Eisner steps in and insists on adding a Farm area, so the imagineers took a fews arcres away from the other areas, which had already been planned out, and BOUNTIFUL VALLEY FARM was born. The Farm portion of the Golden State District features displays of Tractors when it opened, and various other crops grown in California, including a small grove of Orange trees, on which Orange trees used to be grown nearly 50 years before. And thus, there were several different themes that were incorporated into the Golden State District.

With DCA's awful 1st year reviews, Disney rushed into emergency mode to plan for some new attractions, and on DCA's 1st Anniversary, they announced two new major project to be built, Tower of Terror, and the transition from Bountiful Valley Farm, into an expansion and and new area. The expansion became Flik's Fun Fair, and in the process, Bountiful Valley Farm was painted over and given a new name, "A Bug's Land". "A Bug's Land" became DCA's 4th official District.

Now, with Buena Vista Street soon under Construction, perhaps the no man's land entry plaza will be part of the Hollywood District (or new name Hollywoodland District)

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    Downtown Disney District yes, but they originally talked about everything as "The paradise pier area", "the golden state area"
    Nope, they have always been Districts, at least for Hollywood, Paradise Pier and Golden State. And don't forget the area between DL and DCA was to be referred to as the ESPLANADE. Downtown Disney has been know as Downtown Disney, but I'm not sure if Downtown Disney is officially referred to as a District, or just Downtown Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    So DCA is a mix
    some would say a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Disney says that DL has eight lands in lots of advertising. I think it's pretty clear that each are considered lands.
    I concur that although Main Street is not one of the 4 cardinal realms, it does deserve to be called it's own land, and obviously, as already pointed out, DL has advertised that it does have 8 lands.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Earlier I had said that there was an Alice area in Fantasyland that consists of 3 Alice rides and shops. I meant that there were 2 rides and 1 shop, the Mad Hatter, plus the restrooms in Matterhorn Way are Alice themed. I consider all the Alice stuff together to be an area and all the previously mentioned lands in debate lands.

Sorry if that was confusing!
    Thanks for the clarification.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123