Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Jungle explorer

Lilo and Stitch the musical - Idea for hyperion theater

This is my idea for replacing Toy Story at the Hyperion Theater at California Adventure. I haven't written any music for it yet, but I have come up with a good sequences of song titles that I have an Idea for. (right now, the song style and feel is represented by the words "think of…." referring to any existing songs from musicals.) oh, yeah and this is my first post on micechat… yeah… so, here we go!

List of songs---

The escape!
    The scene starts in complete darkness and sound effects of 626 escaping are heard. (possible sparks or pyrotechnic effects could be added here). After this, a spotlight is placed on one of the members of the space ship who yells "he's escaped!". The lights come up full and reveal the deck of the galactic armada. the song begins.

the song is used as the introduction of Captain Gantu as well as immediately informing the audience of 'experiment 626's' abilities and that he has been in custody by the galactic armada. The song has several different melodies, which at the end combine in a round. (think of "Toys" from Disney's Geppetto). at the end of the song a clang is heard offstage, followed by Stitch's laughter and the red cruiser zooming past the window. everyone onboard agrees that "he took the red one".

After the song, the Grand Councilwoman enters and fires Gantu. It is revealed that 626 has escaped to Earth on one of the Hawaiian islands. She introduces her intergalactic consultant and 'expert' on the planet, Agent Pleakley.

Fine upstanding citizen
    Serves as an introduction to Pleakley and at the end of the song, an introduction to Dr. Jumba Jookiba (the mad scientist that created the genetic experiment 626.) Throughout the song, Pleakley constantly refers to himself as a "fine upstanding citizen". The song takes place on the way to Jumba's prison cell. (think of "cherry tree lane" from the Broadway version of Mary Poppins).

The song ends when we meet Jumba (who is clearly not a fine upstanding at all) The Grand Councilwoman orders Pleakley and Jumba to find 626 and bring him back discreetly.

He Mele No Lilo (original Hawaiian opening to the film)
    The song is virtually unchanged from the film and the staging is relatively simple. Although there are some 'swimming' effects that open the scene, the song mostly consists of Hawaiian dances and performances.

Lilo, a Hawaiian girl who's parents recently died in a car crash, has been out swimming and is late for her hula class. She then gets in a fight with another girl in her class who is making fun of her. After the class ends, Lilo walks home and locks herself in the house.
    The social worker
    Nani, Lilo's older sister, runs home to find that all the doors in the house are locked. Soon after, a social worker arrives at their house.

The song begins with Nani stalling and trying to get the social worker to not come in the house. (she does not want to have to explain why all the doors are locked.) She climbs in the back window and reluctantly lets the social worker in. As they enter, Nani finds that Lilo has trashed the house in an attempt to get on her sister's nerves.

The song ends, and the social worker (who reveals to Lilo that his name is Cobra Bubbles) is now convinced that Lilo should be put into foster care. Nani convinces him otherwise, as Lilo is now her only family. The social worker leaves, and Lilo throws a fit and locks herself in her room. The sisters later apologize and Nani explains to Lilo that they are Ohana, "Ohana means family. Family means: no one gets left behind... or forgotten"
    A shooting star (instrumental)
    At that moment, a shooting star streaks across the sky.

Lilo tells Nani to get out of her room so she can make a wish. Nani leaves, but sits outside the door to hear what Lilo is saying.
    Send me an angel/ broken family
    Lilo prays that heaven will send her a true friend that won't leave her. This is the first time Nani hears Lilo's true feelings about her parents being gone. (think of any traditional sad/ hopeful song from any musical. an example would be "Solla Sollew" from Seussical)

experiment 626 (instrumental)
    The red cruiser crashes behind the hills as a terrifying shadow emerges from the wreckage. the horrifying experiment 626 is revealed. This is the first time the audience sees 626 who looks somewhat like a blue dog. (aside from the antennae and extra arms). It begins to rain. 626 cannot function in water. As a reflex he shoots his plasma gun at the sky to stop the rain, which obviously fails. Feeling secretly terrified and more than a little confused, 626 looks for something to destroy. Almost immediately, loud truck horns are heard and two bright lights appear behind 626. blackout.

626 wakes up in a dog shelter where he is adopted by Lilo, who names him Stitch. She takes him home and makes a bed for him out of a pineapple crate. Stitch is very curious and finds a picture of Lilo's family under her pillow. Lilo yells at Stitch telling him to never touch the picture. Stitch continues to destroy things in Lilo's room until he has tired himself out. Lilo realizes that Stitch is going to be a handful.

A fool like you
    Jumba and Pleakley are on earth disguised as tourists in an attempt to 'blend in'. They follow Stitch as Lilo shows him about the island. during the song, Jumba and Pleakley complain that they have to be stuck with each other.

After the song, Stitch's antics foil Jumba and Pleakley's attempts to capture him. Stitch also realizes that there are no large cities on the island and that he cannot function in water.

What must it be like ~ what it's like
    "What must it be like" is a short song that is a solo by Jumba. the song replaces his line in the film when he says "what must it be like to have nothing? not even memories to visit in the middle of the night?" Jumba's song leads into Stitch's song: "What it's like". This song is a ballad by Stitch where he expresses his loneliness and confusion. (when Stitch sings, he does not use a character voice.) (Think of the tone of "Heaven's light" from Hunchback of Notre dame)

Fire dance (instrumental)
    Lilo takes Stitch to the restaurant where Nani works. There we meet David, a fire dancer at the restaurant and a friend to Nani. Stitch's antics accidentally ruin the fire dance and light the 'stage' on fire. David insists that he is okay, but the owner of the restaurant decides to fire Nani. She, Lilo and Stitch all return home where Cobra Bubbles is waiting for them.

Fine upstanding citizen- reprise
    Cobra demands that Nani find a new job and that Stitch become a 'model citizen'.

The next day, Nani continues her job search. Lilo tries to 'train' Stitch. While Stitch's behavior foils Jumba and Pleakley's attempts to capture him, it also ruins Nani's chances at finding a job.

Hawaiian roller coaster ride
    Seeing their troubles, David (who is also a surfer as well as a fire dancer) offers to take Nani and Lilo out surfing.

The song portrays the three surfing using 'wave' effects. During the middle of the song, Stitch joins the three surfers because he feels left out. this confuses Jumba and Pleakley because they know Stitch cannot function in water.

After the song, Stitch is dragged down into the water by the two aliens. He drags down Lilo and Nani and David save her and bring her onto the beach. Stitch escapes Jumba and Pleakley but Nani now thinks he is a monster. The social worker enters and informs Nani that he will take Lilo to a foster home the next day. He says that Lilo and Nani "had a chance until Stitch showed up"
    Later, Jumba and Pleakley wash up on the beach and get a call from the Grand Councilwoman. She asks if they had captured 626, and they sadly reply no. She fires them and banishes them to exile on Earth.

Aloha 'Oe ~broken family-reprise
    That night, Nani sings Lilo goodbye. Lilo does not know that she might not ever see her older sister again. The song starts off with the traditional Hawaiian song and leads into a reprise of broken family.

Nani tucks Lilo in and Stitch enters. Lilo reads stitch the story of the ugly duckling who is 'lost' because he doesn't have a family. Lilo then reveals to him that her parents had died in a car crash a few months prior. Stitch realizes that he is too much trouble and reluctantly climbs out the window and runs away. Lilo tells Stitch "If you want to leave... you can. I'll remember you though. I remember everyone who leaves."

Lost
    Stitch runs into the forest and feels alone.

Stitch has another ballad concerning his loneliness. He thinks of himself as a monster and he compares himself to the ugly duckling. He feels that unlike the ugly duckling, he will not have a happy ending because he does not have a 'real' family. Partway into the song, Lilo joins him in a duet (she is on her bed, he is in the forest) where she sings a reprise of broken family against Stitch's song. (think of "who I'd be" from Shrek the Musical)

What must it be like-reprise
    Jumba finds Stitch in the forest and tries to persuade him into capture. (think of the beginning of "out there" from Hunchback)

Stitch runs back to Lilo's house to avoid being captured. David comes to Nani telling her that he has found her a job. Nani tells Lilo to stay in the house while she goes out to the job interview. While Nani is gone, Stitch runs back to the house and Jumba follows him.

Alien encounter/ the fight (instrumental)
    Jumba practically destroys Lilo's house in an attempt to capture Stitch. Pleakley is determined to save Lilo and not cause a 'intergalactic incident' towards the end of the fight, Jumba and Stitch fight over a jammed plasma blaster (which overloads and causes the house to "explode".

Nani returns home to find the house destroyed and Lilo getting into the social worker's car. Nani beggs for Cobra not to take Lilo away to which he replies, "It's become very clear to me that you need her, much more than she needs you". At this time, Lilo escapes out the backdoor of the car and runs to the forest where Stitch is lying semi-conscious. Stitch reveals to her that he is an alien and gives her the family photo that was under her pillow. Lilo yells at him saying that he "ruined everything"

Captain Gantu
    Just then, Gantu appears and captures Lilo and Stitch. He sings a reprise of his melody in the opening number telling Stitch that he cannot escape.

As Gantu loads the two onto the ship, Stitch escapes the hatch, but is unable to get Lilo out. Jumba, Pleakley and Nani all arrive and plan to save Lilo.

Rescue
    They use Jumba and Pleakley's ship to rescue Lilo. The effect is accomplished by having the two "cockpits" of the spaceships on opposite sides of the stage while model ships fly along the path of the current magic carpet. Gantu's cockpit can turn around (the scene starts with the ship facing away from the audience so we can see Lilo in the containment pod. It then turns around to reveal a cutaway of the cockpit with Gantu inside. Near the end of the song, Stitch 'jumps' from Jumba's to Gantu's ship. (accomplished with wires) Stitch causes Gantu's ship to 'crash' but saves Lilo before the ship can explode (yes fans, this does mean that Gantu dies. I'm sorry. I couldn't come up with a way to get him to ride on top of Jumba's ship.)

Lilo, Stitch, Jumba, Pleakley and Nani land back in Hawaii and are greeted by Cobra. The grand councilwoman's ship lands dramatically (thanks to a fly system! ) and she arrests Stitch.

Finale
    The song is a reprise of "Broken family", "lost", "the social worker", and parts of "the escape". Lilo and Nani beg the Grand Councilwoman to let Stitch stay. Stitch asks if he can say goodbye to his family. he reprises a version of "broken family" explaining that he will leave if he has to but in doing so would break up their family. This leads into Lilo and Nani reprising "Lost" and "Broken family". She is reluctant to arrest him when she sees that Stitch is no longer a monster. Cobra (who is revealed to be a former CIA agent who knows the Grand councilwoman from Roswell) smoothes the matter over by saying that stitch is owened by lilo because she paid for him at the shelter. He and the councilwoman reprise the melody to "Social Worker" in their agreement. This leads into a heartfelt finale that reprises "Broken family" in a bright and triumphant way. The show ends with a drop of the photograph from the movie (with stitch "taped" to it) coming down as the final curtian.

Cast of Characters---
    Lilo- alto. Lilo is a rambuncious little girl who's parent's recently died in a car accident. She lives with her older sister Nani. She considers her family to be broken and wishes more than anything that her parents would come back to her.

Stitch (626) - tenor. Stitch was literally made for mischief. Stitch is lost because he really has no history. He was created by Jumba Jookiba as genetic experiment 626 and then taken into custody under the galactic armada. He is lonely and confused because he doesn't have a family.

Nani- soprano. Lilo's older sister. She feels responsible for Lilo and wishes to never lose the only remaining family she has.

Jumba Jookiba- bass. Jumba is a mad scientist who is infamous for his illegal genetic experiments. He is the only direct "family" to Stitch.

Agent Pleakley- baritone. A prestigious "ambassador" to earth. He does everything with a flourish and is very full of himself.

David- baritone. Nani's friend. Actor must be trained in fire dancing during the rehearsal of the show.

Cobra Bubbles- bass. A social worker (and former CIA agent.)

Gantu- bass. The (former) captain of the intergalactic police.

Grand Councilwoman- very little singing roles. The supreme court judge of the Galactic Armada.

so what do you think? feel free to give me any ideas.
    Last edited by Backside of Water; 02-18-2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: word error

Say goodbye to the people onshore because you will never see them again...

then again you've probably never seen them before

Check out my first trip report! It's full to the brim with epicness.
    AND HERE IS MY NEWEST TRIP REPORT!!! It's better because it's new. and in space.

Hey Look! I'm onYouTube

• Minion

Re: Lilo and Stitch the musical - Idea for hyperion theater

its actually bass not base
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Addicted to Disney

I'd like to see a Tarzan musical. Tarzan could swing out over the audience on a vine!

• Jungle explorer

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    its actually bass not base

I think in musicals it is usually base.

when your talking about instruments, it's usually bass

AND HERE IS MY NEWEST TRIP REPORT!!! It's better because it's new. and in space.

Hey Look! I'm onYouTube

• Future Cast Member :)

Cool idea! I love Lilo and Stitch. It seems to have kind of lost popularity here and gained it in Japan ("Stitch!" is the new show there) but I really like the idea.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

A parade for Lilo and Stitch would have been really cool. Even a show in the Fantasyland Theater would work well. But I can't see this show being a Broadway caliber style musical that the Hyperion deserves. It would be better than the rancid Toy Story musical that has been proposed, but L&S still wouldn't be good enough.

• My Own Oasis

I like the idea but I don't know if the soundtrack would lend itself to a musical as good as other Disney properties. BUT it would still be better than Toy Story the Musical no doubt.

My idea would be for a Brother Bear musical. It has a strong soundtrack, good story, and would offer a great opportunity for impressive stage scenery. The only draw back for a Brother Bear musical I think is just that the movie itself wasn't as popular or seen as Aladdin.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Backside of Water View Post
    I think in musicals it is usually base.

when your talking about instruments, it's usually bass
    I'm in band and know lots of choir kids, and I have a copy of the score for short people (jazz chorus arrangement), the parts are as follows:

• piano
    • soprano
    • alto
    • tenor
    • bass

this is also common in vocal music
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Jungle explorer

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    I'm in band and know lots of choir kids, and I have a copy of the score for short people (jazz chorus arrangement), the parts are as follows:

• piano
    • soprano
    • alto
    • tenor
    • bass
    this is also common in vocal music
    I think its accepted both ways. (I am a choir kid and in theater productions often and I've only seen bass on the sheet music once.)

but, I dunno. I'm sure it's more common than I think it is. the point is, they mean about the same thing. It's nice talkin to someone who is also a music person.

Hey Look! I'm onYouTube

• Minion

Just to put my 2 cents in being a musical person as well anytime you are refering to the low end of the musical scale either sung or played on an instrument it is Bass. Base is the bottom layer of a physical object.

As for the musical idea My personal vote is a No I have seen Lilo and Stitch as part of Disney on ice and it is just awful. I may be in the minority here but I do not believe either are very endearing characters IMO.

• is boring.

ummm... I am a bass, and I've never been referred to as a "base"... and I've been in musicals and choirs all my life.

as for the idea, I don't really think that stitch can handle a show in the US. In WDW, they try to push him all the time in Tommorowland shows and they are never successful.

• Jungle explorer

Quote Originally Posted by jroggen51391 View Post
    ummm... I am a bass, and I've never been referred to as a "base"... and I've been in musicals and choirs all my life.

as for the idea, I don't really think that stitch can handle a show in the US. In WDW, they try to push him all the time in Tommorowland shows and they are never successful.

Okay, I'm probably confused then.

as for the shows in WDW, I think they try to push the story of the series as apposed to the movie. (all newer stitch advertizing is always set in space and constantly refers to stitch's "cousins".)

My idea is centered a little bit more around the hawaiian aspect of the original movie. anyway, If it doesn't get picked up by California Adventure, I would love for it to become a show that theaters can preform.

Hey Look! I'm onYouTube

• Hukuna Matata!

I love the thought that you have put into your idea. Would I be interested in seeing it, probally not. It will be very hard for Toy Story to fill Aladdin's Shoes, yet I am excited to see it. And I will miss Aladdin very much. Keep on Dreaming and bringin us your ideas, They are always welcome here.

• let's talk Disney, okay!

While i appreciate the thought and effort you have put into your idea, I don't think it is what the Hyperion needs. The Hyperion needs a show that won't use park costumes.

I think what they are doing with Toy Story is dumbing down the entertainment for kids. Kids are smart. With Aladdin, they get that Iago is a puppet! they dont need a HUGE pig costume onstage to know that it is hamm! its pandering, and its wrong!

The Toy Story idea is worse than most CHILDREN'S THEATRE! at least they know that kids aren't dumb and dont need to be played down to!

But good luck on moving forward on your project!

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

• Established 2005

Please, God! Noooooooooooooooo!!

Bass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast