View Poll Results: What do you think of this concept for a Condor Flats show?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it!

39 56.52%
  • Leave it.

18 26.09%
  • Undecided...

12 17.39%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: New AA show for Condor Flats (with LOTS of "concept art"!)

Wow. That is a staggering amount of work you've put in really brilliant. Especially the renderings.
    Personally I listen to all this music almost exclusively having essentially given up on pop music and this attraction would be wonderful to see for me.

I love love the theme that Condor Flats would take and think they should do it like that regardless of if this goes in.

Now for the criticisms...(sorry if I'm overly critical ) I just don't know if this would be exciting enough. The other AA shows (all of which are nearly gone a shame) have for the most part have fantastical ideas with singing animals or historical figures. This does include historical figures but I don't especially think Judy Garland has as much historical significance as Abraham Lincoln.

Realistically this would be a huge huge investment for the company to make for a ride system that isn't as popular as it used to be using musicians that most guests have never heard of.

Regarding the ideas and the theming. You are as always a genius when it comes to this. Having a restaurant in a spinning theater might be slightly problematic for some guests (my brother threw up after having dinner in the Space Needle and this spins much faster) but in all is a great move. Having that many of Mr. Lincoln type AAs would be awe inspiring. The architecture is perfect! I especially like the new entrance to Soarin. Also having the actual show platform rotate makes much more sense than having the theater rotate.

Good good ideas.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by handsomepants View Post
    Holy cow! What amazing detail in thought and concept! The concept art really helps with the visualization of the attraction. I think this would be a fantastic addiditon to the area. However, I question the restaurant idea. I may have missed it, but how long would the ENTIRE show be? If it's under 15 minutes, that would mean that guests of the restaurant would be viewing the show multiple times, especially with a menu that rivals or is similar to Blue Bayou. The other problem would be the number of guests that would hang around to watch the show again AFTER they were done eating. This creates a problem with the turn around rate for the restaurant which could become quite low and thus hurt the ability of the restaurant to be profitable. The Blue Bayou works as a themed restaurant because it doesn't have a show that the guests watch, just atmosphere. I might be missing something about the show and restaurant details (I skimmed through and read the main details), but based on what I read, there's a couple things that just wouldn't work.

Other than that, I REALLY like the concept and the show ideas. That era is one of my favorites. I also love Big Band music.

GREAT choice. GREAT design. GREAT imagineering!
    Don't worry...I know the post is very long, so I don't mind if you've missed things.

The show would be 45 minutes in total (about the same time as Aladdin), which I think is plenty of time to eat. At the conclusion of the show everyone would have to leave the theater. There are six theaters and five scenes, so one is just the load/unload theater. The servers would go around with take-out containers during the Andrews Sisters performance for those who need it.

I hope that clears it up!
    My Armchair Imagineering threads:

Collaborations:

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Interesting concept (I had the "reverse carousel theater" idea ages ago), but this is more Americana than California. I'd love to see it elsewhere, but it just doesn't fit here. The idea fitting in a Holiday version is brilliant and smart.

Extremely in-depth, though. Easily the highest example of "armchair" Imagineering I've ever seen..
    Au Contraire! It's VERY California:

California World War II Army Airfields - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Wikipedia entry lists fully 37 California air fields that were in use in WWII, and 44 secondary facilities.

Then there's also Bing Crosby's "San Fernando Valley" song! (Okay, so I actually found that by accident when I was looking up music, but it fits!!)

Collaborations:

• Iron-Clad Allie

Flashy, highly detailed rendering of a lavish AA show that would feature the classic talents of Big Crosby, The Lennon Sisters, Louis Armstrong, Judy Garland, etc. These performers were all in vogue during the WWII era...and that spells war era aircraft. Therefore, I propose that a new Soaring Over WWII be added to Condor Flats as well. If this were to be the case, your concept would fit the area perfectly...and I'm not just winging it!

Fantastic job! Hail to AGD...one-of-a-kind masterful designer!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• The Ultimate DisneyGeek

Red Face Re: New AA show for Condor Flats (with LOTS of "concept art"!)

I absolutely LOVE this! It all sounds great, that would probably be my favorite restaurant at the Disneyland Resort. It has a classic feel to it. I see how some might be worried about many not knowing who those artists are( I know I didn't! ) but I still enjoyed the music, which has a nice happy feel to it. I'd love to see this ride in California Adventure on day!
    http://twitter.com/Mr_Disney

Disney Fan since 1995.

Wow...........just Wow!.......... the level of detail and (dare I say it - Imagineering) is impressive..........

But does tying it into 1940's WWII Hollywood and TDA's Phase II plans for Condor Falts mesh with the BVS makeover?

I thought the plan was for Condor Flats to become part of Grizzly Rapids in a Yosemite "type" national park theme? With tall trees and a "forest" theme..... to mesh with the GC expansion........

I have no problem with the WWII "Hollywood" motif because Walt himself was 100% behind the war effort, but wouldn't it be better placed to the left in "Hollywoodland" to suit the "period" motif?

I love 1930's Hollywood, but I do think that 1940's WWII period could be better represented in "Hollywoodland", maybe where "Millionaire" is now......

I still think that extending the "national park" concept from Grizzly Rapids down into Condor Flatts is easier..... Just some trees and a more interesting walkway (drive-thru tree) - especially if we get "Soarin' over California" on one side and "soarin' over the world" on another. It's easier for DCA to re-theme Condor Flatts as an extention to Grizzly Peak and make it more "Yosemite-like" - with the GC adjacent....... If you take out play area (brother bear), there's plenty of room to assimilate "Condor Flats" to Grizzly Peak and "plus" the "wilderness" aspect of it.

But if you really want to "theme" Hollywoodland to a 1930's-1940's and if the WDC doesn't mind drawing too much attention to it's efforts in WWII,, then Hollywoodland (more specifically the Millionaire building) is the perfect place for such an attraction............ provided TDA puts 1930's-1940's costumes on the CM's and period-specific Mickeys-Minnies in "Hollywoodland"......

I've been trying to think of a good idea for that corner of the park, and you seem to have hit on it (albeit in a different corner of the park)......... I'm still a little concerned with the "through-put"...... how many "patrons" could you put through per hour in such an attraction?

Traditionalists will love that the rotating theatre was revived (AFTER it has been removed from Tomorrowland!), yet there IS a certain nostalgia for the WWII/1940's if you include Disney cartoons and the Andrews Sisters (and yes, I DO have the Andrews Sisters in my iTunes library)............. but, is there any concern about the militarization of a Disney Park? 1930's-1940's Hollywood is all well and glamorous - but do guests really want to be confronted w/ WWII.......... Disney has always done a good job of avoiding that.

But again, your idea works better in Hollywoodland than Condor Flats......
    to my understanding, in phase II ........... CF is going to be an extension GRR and extend the "theme" of the "National Park" motif to erase the "extreme" nature of Grizzly Rapids and give both a common "land"......... The extra land available with Brother Bear Challenge Trail gives them room to add another attraction. But I think entering a National Park from the "Hub" of DCA works much better thematically.

But Hollywoodland is perfect! I'd recommend you move your idea to 1930's-1940's Hollywoodland and put it where "Millionaire" now sits. That corner is much too small for a roller-coaster as many have suggested, a "rotary-theatre" a'la "Carousel of Progress" fits perfect in that space and fits with the sense of nostalgia they are seeking to create in a 1930's era Hollywood..........

It's a great idea, I'd just move it to "Hollywoodland" instead of trying to shoe-horn it into Condor Flats..........

Ideas anyone?

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    Now for the criticisms...(sorry if I'm overly critical )
    Not at all! I always like to bounce ideas around.

I just don't know if this would be exciting enough. The other AA shows (all of which are nearly gone a shame) have for the most part have fantastical ideas with singing animals or historical figures.
    The way I see it, the realism of the show is actually something in its favor. I feel that the singing animal shows seem too "cutesy" to modern guests and its seen as something more for kids. Once the novelty of the AAs wear off (or if they're no longer cutting edge) people aren't as interested in those attractions. In contrast, this draws on source material that really stands on its own. These songs are still being listened to for their own merits 70 years later, and they've become classics of the American musical cannon. The voices have a real depth to them that makes them more enduring than some of the cartoony renderings of the old AA shows.

To me, it's the right balance of something very realistic that people seek out in the real world--people pay good money to go to concerts after all!!--and an experience that you can't ever get anymore outside the park: Of all the performers, only Patty Andrews is still with us (apparently, she just turned 92 five days ago!! congrats to her) and the particular culture and feel of the 1940s swing scene is a very beloved part of the American zeitgeist, but times have changed very much so it only exists in our memories (and, I wish, at Disneyland!)

This does include historical figures but I don't especially think Judy Garland has as much historical significance as Abraham Lincoln.
    Well, Abraham Lincoln doesn't sing, now does he? I actually think the lively song & dance atmosphere here would be more entertaining than the presidents... And, with that in mind, I specifically chose a lot of really high-energy numbers to keep people's interest up.

Realistically this would be a huge huge investment for the company to make for a ride system that isn't as popular as it used to be using musicians that most guests have never heard of.
    Please don't remind me that most guests have never heard of Bing Crosby. I think I died a little inside.

And really, these people do remain very famous to this day, and this attraction will hopefully bring them to a new generation of Disney fans . Also, I think it's a good thing NOT to use up-to-the-minute stars, because they would get dated very quickly. Disney has had a lot of problems in the last 2 decades building attractions around current celebrities that don't quite last (until they die, and then they bring them back for a "tribute"...). The jazz singers are still beloved, and very stable in their popularity, so that you can build an attraction around them and not worry about them being a flash in the pan.

In all seriousness, though: this is where the restaurant is really critical to the success of the attraction. I can see a lot of people who might not sit for a swing concert by itself, but would be thrilled at the idea of a special meal at Disneyland while being serenaded by state-of-the-art AAs. Then figure that they're each paying $30 for grilled salmon and $4 for a mocktail, and all of a sudden Disney's interest in investing in this ride system goes up a lot. After the initial lines to see a new attraction, I see this one settling into a very stable groove where the restaurant remains very much in demand (so you basically always need a reservation), and the spectator seats are fairly full but not enough for a line to build up.

Having a restaurant in a spinning theater might be slightly problematic for some guests (my brother threw up after having dinner in the Space Needle and this spins much faster) but in all is a great move. [...] Also having the actual show platform rotate makes much more sense than having the theater rotate.
    Only the "donut" shape in the center with the stage on it spins...and a curtain is down for this part, so the guests aren't even aware of any rotation (although it would be fairly obvious how it works). The theaters stay exactly where they are...otherwise they'd shear the dumbwaiters in half!

Collaborations:

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    Au Contraire! It's VERY California:

California World War II Army Airfields - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Wikipedia entry lists fully 37 California air fields that were in use in WWII, and 44 secondary facilities.

Then there's also Bing Crosby's "San Fernando Valley" song! (Okay, so I actually found that by accident when I was looking up music, but it fits!!)
    Um, I just don't know. It just seems too loosely tied for my tastes. It's a great idea, but unless the entire area were changed to a WWII theme, it's just a bit of a stretch. Plus, USO shows are typically done overseas...

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer View Post
    Also, it seems like there is a lot going on with all the rooms and moving guests around. It would probably require the more cast members than any other attraction (granted it includes a restaurant). If it is done right though, I sure it wouldn't be too complex.
    It's actually not that much--it only seems that way because I'm describing both ways of viewing the attraction more or less at once, but any given time you'd only experience one or the other.

For the spectators, it's really not much at all. You just follow a queue which ends in a lobby, and then go into the main show. Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror are both more complicated than that. All you need is a CM at the upper floor elevator, the CM in the lobby, plus a CM in each of the theaters, for a total of 8 (seven of whom also work on the restaurant side of things). Really, any attraction with fastpass needs CMs in at least two if not three locations.

The diners really only have one major & one minor change of location: from the lounge to the theater, with a brief pause in the lobby (you'd be sent to the lobby with enough time for you to get there without needing to hurry, but not enough to wait around much, since it's nicer in the cocktail lounge anyway). Yes, it is moving around more than most restaurants, but having a dedicated cocktail lounge to start your meal is kind of swanky in an old-fashioned kind of way, and I think it adds to the experience.

I don't think you'd need much more than the usual number of restaurant staff: yes there are servers in 2 locations, but they only have to serve a party for half the time. I guess if the restaurant is very busy, you might need 2 servers in each of the theaters, but that's a scaling-up that would need to happen in a normal restaurant, too.

I don't know the exact count, but I imagine that if you added the number of CMs working the Blue Bayou and Pirates of the Caribbean, you'd get a very similar number to this.

Also, I love how you could put all those pictures together of the performances. Nice work!
    Google images and I have gotten to be very good friends over the course of this project!!

From there, it's just a matter of this monstrous Photoshop document that has a bazillion layers, and you selectively show & hide certain ones to correspond to what's going on in the theater.

Collaborations:

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Flashy, highly detailed rendering of a lavish AA show that would feature the classic talents of Big Crosby, The Lennon Sisters, Louis Armstrong, Judy Garland, etc.
    Wrong sisters. The Lennon Sisters debuted a decade later.

Therefore, I propose that a new Soaring Over WWII be added to Condor Flats as well. If this were to be the case, your concept would fit the area perfectly...and I'm not just winging it!
    Well, that might offend some people (not as much as that "winging it" pun, but still!). But, I would want to redress the exterior of Soarin' for sure, and a new film would be nice. I think Soarin' Over The World should stay at EPCOT (it's okay with me if the two parks have the same ride system, but the film needs to be different!), but I'd like to see a new Soarin' Over California that focuses mainly on the natural beauty of the state without the modern sportspeople in it, and as such it could just as easily take place in 1940 as 2010.

Fantastic job! Hail to AGD...one-of-a-kind masterful designer!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by AGD; 02-21-2010 at 01:07 AM.

Collaborations:

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by sdjeff4sc View Post
    But again, your idea works better in Hollywoodland than Condor Flats......
    to my understanding, in phase II ........... CF is going to be an extension GRR and extend the "theme" of the "National Park" motif to erase the "extreme" nature of Grizzly Rapids and give both a common "land"......... The extra land available with Brother Bear Challenge Trail gives them room to add another attraction. But I think entering a National Park from the "Hub" of DCA works much better thematically.
    Yes, the official plan is for Condor Flats to be tied into Grizzly, but frankly I don't care for that direction at all, so I'm proposing this instead.

For one thing, I'd like to see Grizzly be redone as the 1849 gold rush, which is vastly more interesting than the National Parks idea they're going with.

While it's easier to tie Condor Flats into Grizzly, it's better to go the extra mile and give it a more engaging identity.

Hollywoodland would be much more elegant, so the diamond-in-the-rough nature of this WWII show wouldn't fit there. While it's roughly the same time period (although Hollywoodland encompasses the 1930s as well), you certainly wouldn't have troops training near Sunset Boulevard! Of course, there could be a rotating theater concept that works in Hollywood, but this wouldn't really be it.

As for the militarization, no one seems to mind very much about the pillaging of pirates or Indiana Jones desecrating cultural monuments, so I think it's all good.

Collaborations:

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Um, I just don't know. It just seems too loosely tied for my tastes. It's a great idea, but unless the entire area were changed to a WWII theme, it's just a bit of a stretch. Plus, USO shows are typically done overseas...
    Well, it's certainly much better tied-in than Carsland or Paradise Pier with its Coney Island Ferris Wheel and Danish mermaid!!

Yes, I'm proposing changing all of Condor Flats to a WWII theme.

And a USO club could be anywhere soldiers were stationed. From the USO website:

Throughout World War II, the USO was the channel for community participation in the war effort. In more than 3,000 communities, USO centers were established to become the GIs “Home Away from Home.” Between 1940 and 1944, U.S. troops grew from 50,000 to 12 million, and their need for a variety of services grew accordingly. USO facilities were quickly opened in such unlikely places as churches, log cabins, museums, castles, barns, beach and yacht clubs, railroad sleeping cars, old mansions and storefronts.

Collaborations:

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post

The way I see it, the realism of the show is actually something in its favor. I feel that the singing animal shows seem too "cutesy" to modern guests and its seen as something more for kids. Once the novelty of the AAs wear off (or if they're no longer cutting edge) people aren't as interested in those attractions. In contrast, this draws on source material that really stands on its own. These songs are still being listened to for their own merits 70 years later, and they've become classics of the American musical cannon. The voices have a real depth to them that makes them more enduring than some of the cartoony renderings of the old AA shows.

I must disagree the people who attend these parks (on the most part) I really do not think would enjoy a meal before these stars. Te hyper realism that you propose just isn't there yet with the AA. And might come off creepy.

To me, it's the right balance of something very realistic that people seek out in the real world--people pay good money to go to concerts after all!!--and an experience that you can't ever get anymore outside the park: Of all the performers, only Patty Andrews is still with us (apparently, she just turned 92 five days ago!! congrats to her) and the particular culture and feel of the 1940s swing scene is a very beloved part of the American zeitgeist, but times have changed very much so it only exists in our memories (and, I wish, at Disneyland!)

Well, Abraham Lincoln doesn't sing, now does he? I actually think the lively song & dance atmosphere here would be more entertaining than the presidents... And, with that in mind, I specifically chose a lot of really high-energy numbers to keep people's interest up.

I think that sometimes these need to be silly or people will feel embarassed for watching them and there can only be so much energy to keep people interested for 45 minutes!

Please don't remind me that most guests have never heard of Bing Crosby. I think I died a little inside.

And really, these people do remain very famous to this day, and this attraction will hopefully bring them to a new generation of Disney fans . Also, I think it's a good thing NOT to use up-to-the-minute stars, because they would get dated very quickly. Disney has had a lot of problems in the last 2 decades building attractions around current celebrities that don't quite last (until they die, and then they bring them back for a "tribute"...). The jazz singers are still beloved, and very stable in their popularity, so that you can build an attraction around them and not worry about them being a flash in the pan.

I definately do not advocate pop culture references so we are in agreement here.

In all seriousness, though: this is where the restaurant is really critical to the success of the attraction. I can see a lot of people who might not sit for a swing concert by itself, but would be thrilled at the idea of a special meal at Disneyland while being serenaded by state-of-the-art AAs. Then figure that they're each paying $30 for grilled salmon and $4 for a mocktail, and all of a sudden Disney's interest in investing in this ride system goes up a lot. After the initial lines to see a new attraction, I see this one settling into a very stable groove where the restaurant remains very much in demand (so you basically always need a reservation), and the spectator seats are fairly full but not enough for a line to build up.

Also beware this in reverse people may be interested in having a great meal but are turned of by the very niche market this appeals to.

Only the "donut" shape in the center with the stage on it spins...and a curtain is down for this part, so the guests aren't even aware of any rotation (although it would be fairly obvious how it works). The theaters stay exactly where they are...otherwise they'd shear the dumbwaiters in half!
    Ah yes I see you prove me wrong yet again!
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Future Animator

I really like the WWII element adding into Condor Flats. I feel that is what this area needs to make it more prominent AND California is a huge army base, San Diego in particular. It definitely needs to be included in a California adventure. Plus, the fact that it could also incorporate the classic Disney war shorts is a genius move and is EXACTLY the type of this DCA needs; Classic Disney.

The concept, however, seems a bit complicated. I understand what is trying to be accomplished but I feel like it's too many separate parts. I say, celebrate the California spirit in WWII, celebrate old Disney shorts, celebrate classic music and music legends... but just simpler.

I really have no idea how a rotating dinner theater (even if it's just the stage rotating) can continue to load and unload guests out. It just can't be done. You can't rush a group's meal if they aren't done, the show is over, and the CM is trying to clear your table as the next load of people are preparing to enter. I continue to review your plans and they don't seem to address this dilemma.

What I would do is just have one HUGE ballroom, fine dining and use this same concept. Each guest couldn't see the entire show in order from beginning to end (if it's a restaurant) but at least it would work. They could have a performance, pause and let people eat as a cartoon played for 10 minutes, then another performance.

GREAT themes though. Very, very appropriate.

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

...for any Disney Theme Park Specials, Behind the Scenes, Making Of's, Celebrations, etc.

• Minion

I only say leave it because it is such a long show, I think that if you scaled it back then it would be more entertaining, I don't think I could sit through a 45 AA show, if it were 15-20 mins I could probably handle it. I also think that maybe the restaurant should be getting a different show.

Overall, great concept, I just think it might be too long for kids to be entertained by it. Aladdin is different IMHO because kids already know the story, and its live actors as opposed to AAs.

Jw, How does 45 mins get divided into each segment? that might make it better

Also, I think it would actually work better to have the outside rotate because then its easy to que up, instead of wondering where to go
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast