View Poll Results: What do you think of this concept for a Condor Flats show?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it!

39 56.52%
  • Leave it.

18 26.09%
  • Undecided...

12 17.39%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Re: New AA show for Condor Flats (with LOTS of "concept art"!)

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    Totally disagree. The thing is, it's a theme that sells. It's a theme that people flock to, and have tons of cultural associations that brings in an emotional investment.
    The theme of world war 2! not the swing!!!!! And many people today are very active in swing and love it. But I'm afraid the percent that is aren't especially theme park active.

Yeah. Poor Lincoln. I hear they're taking him off the five.
    Mr. Lincoln was originally an educational exhibit at a world's fair for the state he was from. He has much nostalgia related to disney and is relatively low cost, he's also a classic.

All that takes as money, MistaSixteenShowScenes
    Heehee got me here. Although that money would directly translate to ride experience, licensing would be lost in the translation and be money less spent on the show.

Not necessarily. Movies are nice, but that's totally different from having a 3D immersive experience. And, I've heard a lot of tributes and covers...nowhere near the quality of the real thing, and nothing like getting the full flavor of the era.
    This is true..... if an AA show delivered the "quality of the real thing, and the full flavor of the era." The technology isn't there yet.

This is the mindset that gave us the DCA we have now (or worse, had in 2001). By all means we'd need to keep the pace up for the modern audience, but presenting quality attractions that are thoughtful and fun is what separates Disneyland from Six Flags.
    I must disagree there is a distinct line between thoughtful and fun, and a niche market.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    The theme of world war 2! not the swing!!!!! And many people today are very active in swing and love it. But I'm afraid the percent that is aren't especially theme park active.
    The theme of WWII IS a very big part of this attraction. Not gory, of course, but it's a very significant part of the plot, in the Andrews' musical selections, the Disney cartoons, the ambience, the style and mannerisms of the CMs and the supporting cast, and especially the vintage films.

Also, the number of people who are active in swing is far surpassed by the very high numbers who enjoy it casually, and respond favorably to the music and the style.

Mr. Lincoln was originally an educational exhibit at a world's fair for the state he was from. He has much nostalgia related to disney and is relatively low cost, he's also a classic.
    Not this Lincoln. This Lincoln is brand new and extensively updated with very new technology, which must have cost them a very pretty penny. Also, the Hall of Presidents in WDW continues on that theme, so it's certainly not just the World's Fair connection.

Heehee got me here. Although that money would directly translate to ride experience, licensing would be lost in the translation and be money less spent on the show.
    No, the licensing would not be lost in translation. These are still very famous people, and certainly among the Disney audience people would likely recognize at least one of the musicians, and many would know most. And, for those who aren't familiar with them yet, getting a glimpse of the real thing and learning and appreciating them is so much more interesting than making up five random performers that don't mean anything or belong anywhere. The original music is totally worth the money as well.

This is true..... if an AA show delivered the "quality of the real thing, and the full flavor of the era." The technology isn't there yet.
    But it isn't just the AAs that provide this. The music is for real, as would be the singers' script lines. Also, the dancers, actors, supporting musicians, CMs, and film clips would all be supporting this ambience.

I must disagree there is a distinct line between thoughtful and fun, and a niche market.
    I think you're confusing the fact that a lot of people don't necessarily involve themselves fully in an activity with the idea that they wouldn't find it appealing as a spectator to enjoy an attraction based on it. I'm not particularly a train enthusiast, but I still enjoy the DLRR. I had never even heard of drum corps but I absolutely loved Blast! I'm not that interested in exotic animals but I still enjoy the Jungle Cruise. Frankly, I actually dislike Peter Pan as a film but I love the attraction. This is based on a specific theme (and one that *does* resonate with many people), but it also offers lively music, entertaining gags, a party atmosphere, dancing, flirting, good food, and lots of other factors that are very broad in their appeal.
    My Armchair Imagineering threads:

Collaborations:

The theme of WWII IS a very big part of this attraction. Not gory, of course, but it's a very significant part of the plot, in the Andrews' musical selections, the Disney cartoons, the ambience, the style and mannerisms of the CMs and the supporting cast, and especially the vintage films.
    I suppose it would be interestingly connected with WW2 but not enough to justify this grand of an attraction.

Also, the number of people who are active in swing is far surpassed by the very high numbers who enjoy it casually, and respond favorably to the music and the style.
    Again not enough to justify this big of an attraction! And they may be active in swing but wouldn't especially enjoy it in this type of format.

Not this Lincoln. This Lincoln is brand new and extensively updated with very new technology, which must have cost them a very pretty penny. Also, the Hall of Presidents in WDW continues on that theme, so it's certainly not just the World's Fair connection.
    This Lincoln is still faithful to the original and evokes feelings of nostalgia nevertheless. And frankly Hall of President's is boring! I have experienced it in the first person.

No, the licensing would not be lost in translation. These are still very famous people, and certainly among the Disney audience people would likely recognize at least one of the musicians, and many would know most. And, for those who aren't familiar with them yet, getting a glimpse of the real thing and learning and appreciating them is so much more interesting than making up five random performers that don't mean anything or belong anywhere. The original music is totally worth the money as well.
    I don't mean the money would be lost I just mean it would be money that wouldn't go directly to more scenes or physical aspects.

But it isn't just the AAs that provide this. The music is for real, as would be the singers' script lines. Also, the dancers, actors, supporting musicians, CMs, and film clips would all be supporting this ambience.
    This is not true it's still not a genuine experience (impossible I know)

I think you're confusing the fact that a lot of people don't necessarily involve themselves fully in an activity with the idea that they wouldn't find it appealing as a spectator to enjoy an attraction based on it. I'm not particularly a train enthusiast, but I still enjoy the DLRR. I had never even heard of drum corps but I absolutely loved Blast! I'm not that interested in exotic animals but I still enjoy the Jungle Cruise. Frankly, I actually dislike Peter Pan as a film but I love the attraction. This is based on a specific theme (and one that *does* resonate with many people), but it also offers lively music, entertaining gags, a party atmosphere, dancing, flirting, good food, and lots of other factors that are very broad in their appeal.
    But trains are broadly appealing, jungles broadly appealing. Swing, not so much. And the broadly appealing factors you listed, well I just don't think that people come to disney for dancing or flirting and flirting or putting their sole focus on lively music.

I still see this as more of a CBJ show than a huge investment you speak of.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

• Armchair Imagineer

I suppose it would be interestingly connected with WW2 but not enough to justify this grand of an attraction.
    Is there something about this concept I'm just not communicating?? Really, the omnipresence of the war will be a really big deal. It's a USO lounge (an organization founded for the war effort) at an airfield. The whole purpose is to boost morale for pilots, who are constantly reminded by the performers and the announcements about their achievements and obligations regarding the war. It's constantly implying "eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow you may die." I mean, short of showing Dresden and/or Iwo Jima being bombed to pieces (probably not Disney appropriate!), how could this be any more connected to the war?

And, period films like this:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppcki5iJ3zU]YouTube - Clark Gable unedited, 8th Air Force film stock[/ame]
    Edited for length, of course!! I was at first thinking this would just be pared down to a straight promo short, but I actually think it would be funnier as outtakes!

This Lincoln is still faithful to the original and evokes feelings of nostalgia nevertheless. And frankly Hall of President's is boring! I have experienced it in the first person.
    Yeah, I'll give you that on the Hall of Presidents (never been to Florida, but I've seen vids), but they don't sing and dance . But, the point is they're still something Disney invests money in and considers an important part of the park identity. America Swings would be rich in history [I]and[I] be vastly more interesting.

I don't mean the money would be lost I just mean it would be money that wouldn't go directly to more scenes or physical aspects.
    I don't think the physical aspects are necessarily the only aspects that make an attraction good.

This is not true it's still not a genuine experience (impossible I know)
    NOTHING in Disneyland is!!! It's all about immersive theming and the suspension of disbelief.

But trains are broadly appealing, jungles broadly appealing. Swing, not so much.
    I'm utterly baffled by this assertion. This stuff plays in department stores all the time, sells new and classic albums, inspires Broadway musicals, figures prominently in popular televisions shows, is a beloved theme for costume parties, and provides countless nostalgic books, pictures, TV specials, and tchotchkes.

And the broadly appealing factors you listed, well I just don't think that people come to disney for dancing or flirting
    Just HOW many Disneyland attractions, parades, & shows involve dancing & romance? Are there any successful parades or shows that *don't*?!

or putting their sole focus on lively music.
    This simply isn't accurate. There's lots going on in this attraction to keep your eye moving and let you focus on a variety of subplots. Also, music figures VERY prominently in lots of Disneyland attractions.

I still see this as more of a CBJ show than a huge investment you speak of.
    Well, for one thing, Disneyland's CBJ had 48 AA's. This one only has 43 (more advanced, granted, but making allowances for the development of technology over time). Each individual theater is more intimate as well, and the attraction is designed to have a significant component that generates revenue.

Collaborations:

AGD I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one
    When an immovable force meets an unstoppable object....
    Armchair Imagineering!:

• Armchair Imagineer

AGD I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one
    When an immovable force meets an unstoppable object....

Collaborations:

• Armchair Imagineer

In all seriousness, though...I didn't want to agree to disagree on this earlier, because I really have enjoyed reading your thoughts and while I didn't agree with everything, I've found your criticism very constructive.

Collaborations:

In all seriousness, though...I didn't want to agree to disagree on this earlier, because I really have enjoyed reading your thoughts and while I didn't agree with everything, I've found your criticism very constructive.
    Indeed well played my friend..... well played.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

• Armchair Imagineer

I totally just noticed this:

And really, these people do remain very famous to this day, and this attraction will hopefully bring them to a new generation of Disney fans .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLandofDisney View Post
    I absolutely LOVE this! It all sounds great, that would probably be my favorite restaurant at the Disneyland Resort. It has a classic feel to it. I see how some might be worried about many not knowing who those artists are( I know I didn't! ) but I still enjoyed the music, which has a nice happy feel to it. I'd love to see this ride in California Adventure on day!
    It works!!

Collaborations:

• Armchair Imagineer

The final tally of AAs would be:
    6 Charlies (he's in the loading theater, too)
    5 pianists
    25 musicians (assuming 5 on each stage)
    1 Ella Fitzgerald
    1 Bing Crosby
    1 Judy Garland
    1 Louis Armstrong
    3 Andrews Sisters

For a grand total of 43 AAs (almost as many as the Hall of Presidents! )
    I just realized I was wrong about this...The Hall of Presidents has 43 AAs too. As Werner Weiss of Yesterland put it:

"Grover Cleveland held the office as the 22nd and 24th president (and it would have been silly to have two Grover Clevelands)."

Collaborations:

This is amazing and I would faithfully go on it every day of every trip if it existed.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Jachywalcott View Post
    This is amazing and I would faithfully go on it every day of every trip if it existed.
    Thanks so much!!

Stay tuned for version 2.0...

Collaborations:

• Armchair Imagineer

Here's something I noticed I haven't gotten any feedback on, and I was wondering what people's opinions were:

For the Holiday overlay, I can't quite find enough solo songs by all of the artists that fit within the WWII time period. While all of these talents have fantastic Christmas tunes (see page 1 for vids), many of them were in fact recorded in the early 1950s.

So, would people prefer to have the Holiday overlay be set in the '50s as a "reunion" at the base (which would involve a few throwaway lines, and a change in costuming for the AAs and video performers), or keep it in the '40s and tolerate a bit of historical inaccuracy with a few of the songs?

Thanks!

Collaborations:

Why yea I do have an opinion. I thought that the holiday overlays and other "b" modes were some of the best parts in the op. They are very feasible and would make it much more interesting and have a longer shelf life. As per what songs I think that as long as they fit the feel of the music it would be accaptable just as adventureland embodies many eras I think this show could afford to fit a song that came out after the "date" in which it is set.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

• Armchair Imagineer

Why yea I do have an opinion. I thought that the holiday overlays and other "b" modes were some of the best parts in the op. They are very feasible and would make it much more interesting and have a longer shelf life. As per what songs I think that as long as they fit the feel of the music it would be accaptable just as adventureland embodies many eras I think this show could afford to fit a song that came out after the "date" in which it is set.
    Well, you see this is my dilemma...while Adventureland can easily embody many different eras, the era embodied by WWII ended pretty clearly on September 2nd, 1945.

Naturally, for the main season show, I've been very careful to research the dates of the songs and only include ones that would were recorded prior to the end of the war. But, for the Christmas overlay this is much more difficult--you're obviously constrained to the same AA's that do the main show, and finding songs that will be well-received by the modern audience, while excluding anything too overtly religious so all will feel welcome, means that there might not be enough material within a strictly pre-1945 time frame. (Add to that the fact that it was extremely popular back in the day to do collaborations for Christmas recordings, and your goose is really cooked!! It's not like the Bing Crosby AA can just wander in to the Andrews Sisters' show scene to do a quartet with them!!)

So, the way I see it there are two ways around this: one is simply to have them sing anachronistic Christmas carols, and deal with the occasional know-it-all who says, "Hey! That song wasn't released until 1946!!" Such people would probably be very few and far between, but all things else being equal I'd like to keep the theme consistent to the highest standard possible.

The other option would be to put a new outfits on the AAs (or maybe just the girls), film the dancers for the new show in different outfits, and have the whole thing take place in the '50s, as a "reunion." There would only be a very little bit of dialogue to mention this in passing (something about "Sure brings back memories, doesn't it!" and "I see there's some proud fellas who can still fit into their uniforms!"), and the average guest would probably not notice it unless they had an encyclopedic knowledge of fashion history.

So, the latter version is more accurate to the music, but it does add a few rather annoying complications. Also, having the holidays during wartime, being away from family, etc., all seems like much more powerful subject matter. As you can see, I'm pretty torn which way to go here....

Collaborations:

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast