View Poll Results: What do you think of this concept for a Condor Flats show?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it!

39 56.52%
  • Leave it.

18 26.09%
  • Undecided...

12 17.39%
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• Armchair Imagineer

New AA show for Condor Flats (with LOTS of "concept art"!)

I know this is long, so if you'd like to skim over the details, I've underlined the main points and put them in red…

I'd like to share an idea for an E-ticket Audio Animatronics show for the Condor Flats area. In this concept, I aim to:

1. Place Condor Flats during WWII, to give it a more intriguing story and to celebrate this period in California history.
    2. Establish Condor Flats as its own land with a unique identity, rather than the window-dressing around Soarin'.
    3. Include this area in the new goal for the park to share the story of Walt Disney's experiences in California.
    4. Provide an immersive & entertaining opportunity to let guests slow down on their DLR experience, and provide DCA with some depth by offering a variety of pacing in its E-tickets.
    5. Re-imagine a beloved Yesterland attraction by drawing on source material that has proven its staying-power.
    6. Realize one of Walt's concepts for his park that has not yet been incorporated.
    7. Provide DCA with a sought-after dining location, taking the Blue Bayou concept of in-attraction themed dining to a new level.
    8. Create an original show & story, that subtly incorporates classic Disney characters in the most historically accurate and thematically appropriate way to be found in this park.

So, without further ado, I give you:

America Swings!
    At the USO Lounge

I guess it should be fairly obvious at this point which classic Yesterland attraction is the inspiration...

America Swings! would use the concept of the rotating theater to take you to a USO Lounge at an air force base for an all-star concert for the officers and servicemen & women at the Condor Flats base:

The attraction would use the area of the current Taste Pilot's grill, like so:

This is scaled for the maximum possible size of 142 feet in diameter (slightly smaller than the original Carousel Theater). This would narrow the path somewhat, but as I'm rather partial to intimate walkways, I think this is all for the best. It's not a portion of the parade corridor so it shouldn't be a problem. Here is a panoramic mock-up of the full structure:

Elevators are on either side of the stairs for accessibility, and the lower-level doors are exits. It's largely based on Hickam Air Force Base (which--I know, I know--is in Hawaii, but I couldn't find a CA base of the time period that would accommodate the size & shape of the show building) since I found it offered the perfect look of art-deco-meets-military-might for a romanticized view of this time period. For the purposes of this show & Condor Flats theming as a whole, this building would be the administrative headquarters of the base, in which the USO took some available space and dressed it up into a swing-dance lounge. Soarin', next door, would have its exterior distressed to resemble a wartime hangar (on the left of the rendering).

The main show mechanism would be the reverse of the original America Sings!, in that the audience would remain stationary while the stage of Audio-Animatronic performers would rotate (a curtain would of course lower at these points):

The entrance would be on the second floor with the queue, reception area for the restaurant, and elevators down to the show floor:

The next posts deal with details of the attraction. They are:
    Theater & storyline
    Spectators' queue
    Restaurant
    Musical selections
    Audio Animatronics
    Video Screens
    Christmas overlay

Thanks for reading about America Swings!
    Last edited by AGD; 02-20-2010 at 10:35 PM.
    My Armchair Imagineering threads:

Collaborations:

• Armchair Imagineer

Re: New AA show for Condor Flats (with LOTS of "concept art"!)

THEATER & STORYLINE

The key point is that the entire set-up of the theater and show elements are designed to create as immersive an experience as possible. While these performers' songs are timeless in their appeal, what makes this attraction uniquely Disney is that I'd like to capture not only the wonderful music (which you can get on a CD), but most significantly the excitement of what it would have been like to experience a live performance with these legends. The performers would be AAs on the rotating stage and bring their music to life with realistic and appealing performances, while the rest of the theater is a quaint USO lounge that lets you fully enjoy this music in this elegant bygone era. The theater is wedge-shaped to accommodate the six ongoing performances, but the walls have high-definition plasma screens on them so that the "ballroom" appears to be larger than the physical theater and immerses you in all aspects of this environment.

Only a few key performers are AA's on the stage; the rest of the bandstand extends into the video screens, as couples dance the night away. On the other side, the same seating arrangement as the physical theater extends into the screens, as the residents of the base enjoy the concert and their dinners just like you are (but--let's face it--they're probably much better dressed than you are!). The theater was originally storage or maintenance space in the base, but got redressed as the USO could get funds here & there, so the overall space should look rather utilitarian, with disparate elements being added to try to make it appealing.

As you first enter the space, the bandstand is empty except for the bandleader who greets you, and the musicians are setting up their instruments on the bandstand in the video screens, as diners start to take their seats, just like you are:

The bandleader (working name: Charlie Montgomery) is a handsome, rakish, and self-promoting fellow who's talking up his band and the performers, and provides much of the comedy & structure for the show. When you enter, he's welcoming you to the club and working the necessary rules & safety spiel into his welcome ("Now, ladies & gents, we don't want to bring out the blackout curtains so no flash photography!"). Your server (in a charming period uniform) will guide you to your seats (the section of the tables in the video screens have their own server).

Then, the curtain goes down, the stage rotates behind it, and when the curtain is up again you have the first musical number:

Each act will do two songs, which are of course the original recordings, remastered for sound quality, and underscored with a larger band as needed. In between numbers, Charlie will chat up the audience and joke with the band. Audio snippets of surviving interviews, radio, & movie appearances from the stars will be woven together with original dialogue from Charlie and the rest of the band (who are voiced by modern actors) to give the appearance that you're actually hearing Ella Fitzgerald, Bing Crosby, and the like engaging in playful banter at a live concert.

Charlie will then thank the performers, flirt some more (time permitting), and then tell everyone that the band will be right back with the next singing sensation.

At this point, the curtain goes down, and you notice that there is a movie screen rather haphazardly set up to the side of the stage (i.e., it's part of the video recording). In between musical sets, there will be announcements for the aviators, including vintage safety films and announcements from base administrators. Depending on the source material available, these could be from the archives, or they can be modern imitations with a comical twist.

Also, to tie Walt into this area of the park, on a few occasions Charlie will mention Walt Disney & his studio's contributions to the war effort, and between sets some of the entertainment will be actual old wartime cartoons (possibly edited for length & content!):

The projector on the ceiling is just a prop with a weak spotlight (the "projections" are already a part of the recorded videos).

Then, the curtain comes up and the next musical number performs:

At the conclusion of the fifth act, the band takes a bow, Charlie says a few words & thanks you all, and then the curtain goes down, the lights go up, and your server guides everyone out of the rear exit of the theater. During this time, the stage is rotating back to the starting section (with just Charlie), so there is only one load theater. As soon as you're all out, the curtain goes up and the inner doors open to let the next batch of people in.
    Last edited by AGD; 02-20-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Collaborations:

• Armchair Imagineer

SPECTATORS' QUEUE

Since the attraction takes place in a working air force base, the queue will represent the offices of the administration, as you wander through the hallways and then get to the elevator to the ballroom (which is a converted fist-floor warehouse):

As you can see, you're really in a very tight space with plain dividers, but they will be mocked-up to look like hallways that have offices behind them, like so:

Notice-boards will have official statements, safety posters, and flyers advertising the USO dance that you're going to.

Space & budget permitting, I would like to see some printed scenes just behind the frosted glass of the windows on the doors, possibly with backlighting, so you can get the impression of barely being able to see into the "offices." Some would have recordings playing of people talking on the telephone, dropping things, typing, etc. Also, throughout the hallways there will be PA system announcements, and scratchy radios playing swing music.

The inner section of the queue goes around a spot that's not deep enough to convincingly have a room in it, so it will be done up like a post-office counter:

Then, you take the elevator down to the first floor, and arrive in a hexagonal lobby. This is supposed to represent a fairly recent refurbishment of the space, so you should get the impression that some of the old stuff--the light fixtures and elevators, is still hanging around and doesn't entirely match with the new wallpaper and doors. The lobby is not as well-done as the ballroom (it still has the rough tile floors, while the ballroom had hardwood put in, and only the ballroom has the nice chandeliers), but has been "thrown together" as a place to recognize outstanding service at the base. There walls are decorated with pictures of the awarded commanders and crews.

There is enough room for one theater-full of people to load (as diagrammed, 159 people: 123 spectators and 36 diners). The couches are for the diners at the restaurant, and for spectators there are brass markers on the floor so people can be positioned for their assigned seats.

In the world of the show, of course, the base would only have one ballroom, and the rest of the first floor would still be used for maintenance & storage, so the signs over the doors would indicate this (and, more practically, indicate which theater is accommodating you--notice the type on the "BALLROOM" sign is larger than the others to make it easy to identify). The signs switch with each theater loading--I would recommend a scroll mechanism rather than a screen, since a screen would look too modern. The upper-floor CM wouldn't let anyone down the elevator until the lobby signs are switched to preserve the illusion.

A new show would begin every 8 or 9 minutes. This means each scene has enough time for 2 songs, transitions, and movie clips, and it gives enough time for the same theater to be used for unloading as loading (the first group exits from through the rear, and then the lobby doors open to let the next group in). It also means that you can enjoy a generously-timed show without having to worry about arriving by a specified start time, and the show handles large numbers of people while still preserving an intimate viewing environment. With the seating arrangement as shown, this corresponds to a Theoretical Hourly Ride Capacity between 1,060 and 1,192. Changing the balance between diners and spectators can alter this significantly.
    Last edited by AGD; 02-20-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Collaborations:

• Armchair Imagineer

RESTAURANT

From the beginning of designing this attraction, I felt a restaurant is particularly well-suited since it will make the lounge atmosphere so much more realistic. The restaurant would have premium-quality, premium-price food (in the Blue Bayou range) to make this a very sought-after dining location so the food does justice to the ambience. The menu items would be characteristic of fine dining of the 1940s, with elegant appetizers and very elegant drinks. It would feature a wide variety of stylish old-fashioned cocktails as non-alcoholic interpretations, that would be one of *the* things to get in the park (i.e., DCA's Dole Whip!). Since DCA has a liquor license, there could be the usual alcoholic versions as well.

As many of you know, when Walt first designed the Enchanted Tiki Room, he envisioned a restaurant where diners would be entertained by AA characters. Unfortunately, as planning went on, designers figured that people would linger too long watching the performance, and things would back up (and profits would suffer). So, I'd like to bring this idea by combining it with the rotating theater, so that there is a fixed end-time to the show, and the six theaters means that people can enjoy a relatively long show while they eat, as others are being served elsewhere.

I needed to strike a balance between giving people enough time to eat, and keeping the show moving along. I figured that the steps with the most temporal variability would be ordering and preparing, and then once the food arrived at the table, 40-45 minutes should be plenty of time to eat (and, if not, your server will have carry-out containers handy!) Therefore, you order and enjoy appetizers in a "Cocktail Lounge" on the upper floor, until your entrees are ready:

You would enter through the main steps or elevator (see exterior rendering), and then be greeted at the front desk, where they will show you to your booth.

If you don't wish to eat a full meal here (or if you couldn't get a reservation!), there will be a counter service with lighter fare, including the appetizers and beverages diners enjoy in the cocktail lounge, plus some simple (but still elegant!) snacks and desserts. The counter would look very similar to the mail counter in the queue rendered above. This will keep the attraction relatively profitable even when the restaurant is not operating at full capacity (270 meals/hour--probably only needed on very full days at the park), and would widen the availability of the snacks and signature specialty drinks past those dining at the restaurant. Another advantage is that guests who get snacks can take the diners' elevator down to the lobby, and therefore don't have to wait in line. At least one item per person would be required for priority seating. Think of it as a return to the old ticket system, plus a free Shirley Temple

If you do have a reservation, you will be seated at a booth in the cocktail lounge, which would be decorated to be the officers' lounge at the base, and would therefore be more elegantly furnished (probably in a slightly more 1930s style than the ballroom, since this would have been done as the base was built, while the ballroom would have been done later--the whole "set" for the attraction should give the impression of a building that has changed piecemeal over time):

(Yesterland readers will note that this is very similar to the old "Top of the Park"...I read Werner's recent article and noticed it's just very similar to what I've had in mind for a while!! I hadn't rendered it yet, so I borrowed the couches & re-colored them...)

The lounge is fairly large, since most people will be here for much longer than 9 minutes, so it needs to fit several theaters' worth of diners.

Once seated, you peruse the menu and place your order. Since at the end of the show everyone will need to exit efficiently, the restaurant will need to be pre-pay even though it is upscale. The servers will have portable payment devices (like at the Apple Store, but themed to old two-way radios), and they will bring the check with your drinks and appetizers. The beverages and appetizers will be stored behind the service counter (since they're for sale there anyway, and the lounge has no direct connection to the kitchen). All beverages will include free refills (except the alcoholic ones!) to minimize hassle while you're dining during the show, but the server in the theater could have a PDA as well to process payment, time permitting.

Once your meal is ready, you will be invited to take the elevator down to the show floor. This announcement will either be done by your server coming to your table or by a PA, depending on the staffing available. All the parties at the restaurant will be named for famous aviators, so announcements like "Howard Hughes, party of four" will add to the atmosphere.

At the show floor lobby, there are couches for you to wait until the theater is ready:

A computer system has already determined which parties will be served in that theater and has assigned seats. The arrangement of couches in the lobby is the same as the tables in each theater, so the CM in the lobby will seat you accordingly, which will keep things organized and save time for loading the theater.

Note in the renderings of the theater, each table's centerpiece has a placard under it, which will be lit up with the name of your party to help you seat yourselves efficiently.

Meanwhile, the kitchen is in the basement level (with the next floor a few feet above ground level for ventilation), and it is connected to the theaters with dumbwaiters:

The meals are sent up at the start of the show, each theater also has a refrigerator and a beverage counter so that your server can handle refills conveniently. Extra cups, carry-out containers, etc., are stocked in each theater, and anything to be restocked can be sent up via the dumbwaiters as needed (and finished plates are sent down). There are wheeled carts scaled to fit in the dumbwaiters, so that they can be rolled out and used to serve as efficiently as possible. Additions to your order can be placed via the servers' PDA, if there is enough time in the show to fill your order & send it up.

Also, each centerpiece has a service light on it, so you can switch it on if you need anything:

Conveniently, she hails from an old Coca-Cola ad, so she's ready with your beverage!
    Last edited by AGD; 02-20-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Collaborations:

• Armchair Imagineer

MUSICAL SELECTIONS

To entertain modern audiences for a 40 or 45-minute show, I think the musical selections need to remain predominantly uptempo and energetic. So, I've selected some of the more lively numbers from five of the most iconic vocalists of this era.

I think it's absolutely essential for the quality of the attraction that the original recordings are used, remastered as necessary, and perhaps underscored where needed to give the impression that they all have the same back-up band.

Ella Fitzgerald
    First up is the First Lady of Song, in the youthful style of her early career:

Betcha Nickel
    (I can’t find this one on YouTube, but it’s on iTunes so you can hear a sample)

Undecided
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez-EKlw1rkI"]YouTube - UNDECIDED by Chick Webb and his Orchestra with Ella Fitzgerald 1939][/ame]

Bing Crosby
    Now, I love Bing Crosby to pieces, but I had a devil of a time finding some songs of his from this period that weren't slow & crooning. Fortunately, we have two entertaining numbers so he's in the show:

When My Dream Boat Comes Home
    (Again, iTunes only…)

San Fernando Valley:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbgLaAIrYFw]YouTube - San Fernando Valley - Bing Crosby[/ame]
    Wasn’t it sweet of ol’ Bing to record something that would fit so well into the California theme!?

Judy Garland
    I think the show does need at least one slow song, so I've given that to the lovely Judy Garland and this classic...

Embraceable You:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYumC4_QdXw]YouTube - Judy Garland - Embraceable you[/ame]
    (This is the wrong version, but it's the only one I could find on YouTube. The one I'd use is the 1940 Single Version, and you can listen to it on iTunes. It doesn't have an intro or a chorus.)

Swing Mister Charlie:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxie-0LYaz8]YouTube - Swing Mister Charlie! - Judy Garland 1939[/ame]
    Yes, I named the bandleader Charlie solely for this song. Throughout the performance, the Judy AA will be flirting with the Charlie AA (and of course he'll flirt back, because he flirts with everybody!).

Louis Armstrong

Jubilee:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aji3Kk_v14k]YouTube - Louis Armstrong - Jubilee[/ame]

Swing That Music:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe3AoTMvJVE]YouTube - Jimmy Dorsey's Orch. - Swing That Music, 1936[/ame]
    The only YouTube vid I could find of this has Gothic cathedrals. They're pretty, but in no way relevant to the attraction!

Andrews Sisters
    And, our grand finale!

Shoo Shoo Baby
    (The only one on YouTube claiming to be the Andrews Sisters is not, so listen to iTunes for the real one…) I see this one starting without an intro...slow curtain up, and then a solo spot for the beginning of the song, with the rest of the stage lights flare up when the swing rhythm picks up. Very dramatic!

Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wiVkdVPGoY&feature=fvw]YouTube - Andrews Sisters - Song & Dance - Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy[/ame]
    Really, I designed this entire attraction around this song. You just can't do a USO theme without it!
    Last edited by AGD; 02-20-2010 at 07:37 PM.

Collaborations:

• Armchair Imagineer

AUDIO ANIMATRONICS

The AAs will need to be of the level of the new Lincoln in order to remain entertaining for a long performance. As such, they need to have a wide variety of possible facial expressions so that they can sing and talk convincingly. The historical characters should be realized to be as close as possible to their actual appearances in the 1940s, especially since they will be performing at very close range to the diners in the first row. So, physical details would be looked up and re-created as closely as possible (for instance, the Judy Garland AA should be exactly 4' 11.5" tall, plus shoes), and their recorded performances should be studied to identify characteristics of their performance and mannerisms to bring them back to life faithfully.

The musicians in the back can basically be whatever would be interesting to watch, and be based on playing which instruments it is technically feasible to portray in AA form--(drums, probably not!). The renderings above have strings, but on further thought, I think that the horn section should probably be represented, since they feature so prominently in the music of this era.

Apart from the star performers, Charlie & the musicians must look exactly the same on each stage--after all, they're supposed to be the same people staying in the same place; just the singers come and go.

Although it is not strictly necessary, I think it would add a great deal to the attraction if several of the AAs had some subtle interactive features--they could wave, smile more, blow kisses, or do other incidental gestures depending on how loudly the crowd is cheering, and direct their gestures to where people actually are. The less prominent AAs could have mannerisms that were programmed in a semi-randomized fashion (e.g., roughly 10% of the time, the oboist will scratch his ear after the second Bing Crosby song), so each performance would be subtly different and seem more lifelike.

The final tally of AAs would be:
    6 Charlies (he's in the loading theater, too)
    5 pianists
    25 musicians (assuming 5 on each stage)
    1 Ella Fitzgerald
    1 Bing Crosby
    1 Judy Garland
    1 Louis Armstrong
    3 Andrews Sisters

For a grand total of 43 AAs (almost as many as the Hall of Presidents! )
    Last edited by AGD; 02-20-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Collaborations:

• Armchair Imagineer

VIDEO SCREENS

The video screens will help to provide an immersive attraction experience and to make the swing lounge seem as convincing as possible. In the renderings, you can see that there are pillars in the room to hide the seams between them. They would basically be filmed once the soundtrack of the attraction is finalized, so that all the characters on either side of you in the theater will appear to be "reacting" to the concert in various ways. On the left, most of the orchestra will be playing (with young musicians, of course, since that's what you would have seen back then!), and just in front of them will be a dance floor where couples will dance socially (nothing choreographed) but will show off some pretty daring & impressive swing moves. On the right, diners will eat, chat, and enjoy the music.

It's essential to the attraction that the video screens provide lots of interesting material, so the videos would have to be storyboarded extensively. Each actor and/or dancer needs to have a backstory, motivations, etc., that guides their choice of attire, and what they do in the club. None of this would be explained of course, but giving each actor plenty to do throughout the film would give a realistic amount of "bustle" for the club. So, when you look over to the screens, there will always be little "touches" that you haven't noticed before--maybe a shy guy working up the nerve to ask a girl to dance, someone stealing someone's date, people flirting, arguing, etc.--so that there is a lot of depth to enjoy in this attraction over and over again. Also, during the transitions the video screens would be the main form of entertainment, and the characters would laugh along with the cartoons, make fun of the safety films, and so on, to give a lively atmosphere and a realistic variety of characters.
    Last edited by AGD; 02-20-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Collaborations:

• Armchair Imagineer

HOLIDAY OVERLAY

So, I should acknowledge at the outset that this would be one monstrously expensive holiday overlay. Now, setting it up each season would be very easy indeed--just pin a few holly corsages/boutonnieres on your AA's, string garlands around the railings, switch the AA's to program #2, and it can open the next day:

But, wait! (you ask) What was that you mentioned about "Program #2"?

Well, children, this is where it gets expensive…the Holiday overlay would require a massive initial investment, namely developing a wholly unique sequence for each of the AA's and filming whole new videos for the side screens, since there will be totally different music to sing & dance to. (Probably best to film this at the same time as the original filming, since you'll already have the set and actors/dancers/musicians there!) The good news is that once this is done the data can be stored year to year and you'd just have to flip a switch.

So, here are the holiday carols that our stars would sing:

Ella Fitzgerald
    We do have a minor difficulty with Ella's selections, since her only Christmas recordings I can find are from 1960...at least that's late enough that there's probably a separate vocal track that could be isolated and then underscored with a 1940s-style arrangement.

But, if you know of any vintage Ella Christmas carols, let me know!!

Sleigh Ride
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAn-bJbmDYs]YouTube - Ella Fitzgerald - Sleigh Ride[/ame]

The Christmas Song
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5buGUN0E9E]YouTube - Ella Fitzgerald - Christmas Song[/ame]

Bing Crosby

Let It Snow
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_RPD_F8_dU]YouTube - Bing Crosby - Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow![/ame]
    The sticklers among you will note that this recording is from 1962...the song was written in 1945, so it is possible (though, frankly, unlikely) that Bing could have sung it in concert...

White Christmas
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUbU5hD0rrM]YouTube - Bing Crosby - White Christmas[/ame]
    A classic. (The chorus would have to be selectively edited out)

Judy Garland
    Unfortunately I can only find one Judy Garland Christmas song...I guess when you have one as good as this, you don't need to do another!

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g4lY8Y3eoo]YouTube - Judy Garland - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas[/ame]

She did record The Christmas Song in 1963, but you just can't try to pass off Judy's voice in 1963 as anything you'd hear in 1945, and it's a duet, anyway.

If you can find any other Christmas recordings by Judy Garland from the '40s, please post them!

Louis Armstrong
    Louis has some fantastic Christmas albums, but when I looked up the dates they're too late. So, I'll just throw historical accuracy to the wind and offer:

Cool Yule:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Je_x8FC0U]YouTube - Cool Yule/Louis Armstrong with the Commanders[/ame]

'Zat You, Santa Claus?:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN8dLNrrbc0]YouTube - Louis Armstrong....Zat You Santa Claus ?[/ame]

(any chronologically-appropriate suggestions?)

Andrews Sisters
    I leave it to your imagination how difficult it was to find Christmas songs by the Andrews Sisters that didn't also have Bing Crosby!! Since his AA would be in another room, that would make collaboration rather difficult!

I'd Like to Hitch a Ride with Santa Claus:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSzDGrsUdvA]YouTube - I'd Like To Hitch A Ride With Santa Claus- ANDREWS SISTERS[/ame]
    The only youtube version has awful sound (sorry!) iTunes has a remastered version.

Winter Wonderland:
    I guess you'll have to go to iTunes for this one…

Since I've had to play fast and loose with the dates, for the Holiday version should we re-costume the AAs and just have it take place in the '50s (as a "reunion" at the base)? Or just keep it in the '40s and hope no one will notice? :

Okay, that's it!!! For those still reading, I salute you!
    Last edited by AGD; 02-20-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Collaborations:

• MC's #1 Mars Volta fan

Woah. Staggering detail. I like it...but I don't think it screams 'Condor Flats'. If we ever got the Disney's America park, this'd fit perfectly, but I'm not sure about Condor Flats. Also, the walkway. I like intimate walkways too, but it's a major thoroughfare to Grizzly Peak, so I think it might become reeeeally clogged. Great concept, though.
    The kiosk in my temporal lobe is shaped like Rosalynn Carter!
    http://mongrelarchitect.tumblr.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/coolstoryaj

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by I.M. Loco View Post
    Woah. Staggering detail. I like it...but I don't think it screams 'Condor Flats'. If we ever got the Disney's America park, this'd fit perfectly, but I'm not sure about Condor Flats. Also, the walkway. I like intimate walkways too, but it's a major thoroughfare to Grizzly Peak, so I think it might become reeeeally clogged. Great concept, though.
    Well, the attraction would be part of a re-theme of Condor Flats as a whole (if you look to the left of the exterior rendering, you can see Screamin' redone), so it would fit, once the land is done properly .

As for the size, it would be quite easy to make smaller--it would just reduce the capacity somewhat, but that's perfectly manageable. Also, since the rotating mechanism is just a small bit in the center, it doesn't *have* to be round...the two theaters near the walkway could be smaller (It would just be tough on the CM in charge of loading if those fit a different number of guests).
    Last edited by AGD; 02-20-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: grammar! yikes!

Collaborations:

I think it is an exceptional concept that would really add a detailed experience to the park. If they were to truly build up the Condor Flats aviation theme as you said, it would be a great attraction/dining option.

The only things I have to add is the placement of the buildings may be a little tight but there's always a way. Also, it seems like there is a lot going on with all the rooms and moving guests around. It would probably require the more cast members than any other attraction (granted it includes a restaurant). If it is done right though, I sure it wouldn't be too complex.

Also, I love how you could put all those pictures together of the performances. Nice work!

Nice concept work.

• Sock Puppet

Holy cow! What amazing detail in thought and concept! The concept art really helps with the visualization of the attraction. I think this would be a fantastic addiditon to the area. However, I question the restaurant idea. I may have missed it, but how long would the ENTIRE show be? If it's under 15 minutes, that would mean that guests of the restaurant would be viewing the show multiple times, especially with a menu that rivals or is similar to Blue Bayou. The other problem would be the number of guests that would hang around to watch the show again AFTER they were done eating. This creates a problem with the turn around rate for the restaurant which could become quite low and thus hurt the ability of the restaurant to be profitable. The Blue Bayou works as a themed restaurant because it doesn't have a show that the guests watch, just atmosphere. I might be missing something about the show and restaurant details (I skimmed through and read the main details), but based on what I read, there's a couple things that just wouldn't work.

Other than that, I REALLY like the concept and the show ideas. That era is one of my favorites. I also love Big Band music.

GREAT choice. GREAT design. GREAT imagineering!

Interesting concept (I had the "reverse carousel theater" idea ages ago), but this is more Americana than California. I'd love to see it elsewhere, but it just doesn't fit here. The idea fitting in a Holiday version is brilliant and smart.

Extremely in-depth, though. Easily the highest example of "armchair" Imagineering I've ever seen..

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

it is an interesting concept.
    Swing dancing i'm not sure about....but something else would be cool.

Since it is Condor Flats
    couldn't you do the history (in a fun way) of airplane travel?
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast