Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: What will become of the Actors from Aladdin?

Lets hope they get new jobs after this, they have done an Amazing job of keeping the show fresh after all these years.

• let's talk Disney, okay!

First, I want to apologize to Plagued. I missed your point, and would like to address it. You are right, it is possible to turn a story or a movie that originally didnt have music into a successful musical! I will not contest that. however, my beef with Disney is not that fact. (i will go into more detail below)

I also want to apologize to Joshnya for getting off topic on your thread. i promise, this will be my last rant on this subject... on this thread

What bugs me is Disney Theatrical puts on BEAUTIFUL shows like Beauty and the Beast, Mary Poppins, Tarzan, The Lion King, and The Little Mermaid (ok, so Little Mermaid didnt do so well ) But they didnt use "park costumes" to portray non-human characters! When they do this, like they are going to in Toy Story, that is what i mean by a "theme park show". But the Hyperion is not a theme park theatre! it is a beautiful theatre space, and should be held at a high standard, and not be used for cruise ship entertainment.

Canned music is fine, it doesnt bother me. but the chorus is not canned. There are many chorus members onstage that are mic-ed in Aladdin. same with Step's in Time. That was the first show in the Hyperion and it was a breathtaking show! look it up on youtube (i am at work right now and i cant get to the site or else i would link it here).

The Few, The Proud, The Fans Fan of Light Magic!

• hi!

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousEndeavors View Post
    First, I want to apologize to Plagued. I missed your point, and would like to address it. You are right, it is possible to turn a story or a movie that originally didnt have music into a successful musical! I will not contest that. however, my beef with Disney is not that fact. (i will go into more detail below)

I also want to apologize to Joshnya for getting off topic on your thread. i promise, this will be my last rant on this subject... on this thread

What bugs me is Disney Theatrical puts on BEAUTIFUL shows like Beauty and the Beast, Mary Poppins, Tarzan, The Lion King, and The Little Mermaid (ok, so Little Mermaid didnt do so well ) But they didnt use "park costumes" to portray non-human characters! When they do this, like they are going to in Toy Story, that is what i mean by a "theme park show". But the Hyperion is not a theme park theatre! it is a beautiful theatre space, and should be held at a high standard, and not be used for cruise ship entertainment.

Canned music is fine, it doesnt bother me. but the chorus is not canned. There are many chorus members onstage that are mic-ed in Aladdin. same with Step's in Time. That was the first show in the Hyperion and it was a breathtaking show! look it up on youtube (i am at work right now and i cant get to the site or else i would link it here).
    thank you.

and for what it's worth, i do agree with this.

while i am not making any assumptions or judgments regarding whether the show is good or not, i am making simple observation from the basic look of pictures i've seen. referring to what i said earlier, that what may look like low-budget (whether or not it really is low cost), may add to how cheesy the show might come off to be, off-putting a lot of its viewers (sans little children that might get a kick out of.. anything).

but at the same time, i've watched major musicals that have had a very cheap-ish looking set/costume design. Avenue Q, for one. before i watched it, i was a bit put off at the fact that you can literally see the puppet actors next to their puppets. and the fact that the set was literally just a bunch of cardboard/wooden 2-d houses and doors. i thought it would ruin the whole thing for me. turned out to be one of the best and funniest shows i've ever seen. the overall message, story/plot, the humor, wit, and music.. were enough to swing me to love it. from reviews of the cruise ship version of Toy Story, i've heard it lacking in such fields, but again, i wont be making any assumptions.

i have hopes for the show, and i have fears that it'll bomb. but you can count me in on definitely going to see it and making a judgment for myself, rather than trying to discredit it when it hasn't even been shown yet. plus, i have never seen anything excruciatingly horrible from Disney productions.. disappointed, yes. but, never have i been so put off as people make this show out to be. let's hope that's not the case with this, which is obviously getting some sort of good cred to be ported from a cruise ship to a park.
    -plagued

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123