Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Pirate

Re: What happens when a cast member gets a negative comment from a guest at city hall

For my own experience a manager "coaches" you and it goes down on your record. But as for positive feedback they are slow to praise you, but the discipline is within a couple of hours of a complaint. It's really backwards and they almost create an atmosphere of mediocrity and anxious people. Oh well, that's the way they wants it, that’s the way they gone get it!!!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Re: What happens when a cast member gets a negative comment from a guest at city hall

People, people, people, they are just events. Some people are stupid; many are smart. We all choose what we attend to. Niceness is expected and so we don't acknowledge it very often, we hope for kindness everyday and so we keep it to ourselves.

But we recognize the bad stuff. And then we're motivated to act.

However, the true Way is to let every situation have zero meaning. And then when someone does something nice, not even exceptionally so, we just feel the joy in that moment.

I always try to celebrate hardworking people. The mods here at MC; the teachers I work with; and even the young CMs.

And when I have a bad experience--I'd rather spend my energy on the positives then the negatives.

It's easier to point and laugh at those who are more than willing to cry afoul after spending thousands of dollars to travel to the coast.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    Manager talks to the CM.

What happens when a CM receives a compliment? Nothing, because the CM barely ever knows they got a compliment.
    Actually, if CMs get a lot of compliments, they put a spot praising them in the Cast Member magazine, Disneyland Line.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    What happens when a CM receives a compliment? Nothing, because the CM barely ever knows they got a compliment.
    Yes, CMs get lots of compliments. But Kritter's right - most of the time we don't hear about them, and if we do, it's either in the form of a "good job" certificate and a "mousecar moolah coin" (which you get taxed on if you spend it) or you don't hear anything and you just notice it on your record card one day and wonder where that came from or what it was for.

A lot of time Guests assume it's the City Hall CMs not processing the comments, which is simply not the case. I've had several times where a coworker came to me and said, "Hey! I took a compliment for you earlier!" and then it never comes down the pipes.

Unfortunately, it's simply reached a point where CMs have learnt never to expect recognition for going above and beyond. It's a good thing most of us are not working for the praise. We enjoy seeing your kids smile more than getting a certificate.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

^In regards to compliments not being shared with the cast members, that is dissapointing. Again I hold management responsible for creating this type of environment were compliments are not shared and where discipline is not enforced amongst employees. It is important that good employees be motivated with positive feedback where due just as the poor preforming employees should be disciplined and or let go due to poor preformance and or customer service skills. I worked in customer service for many years, yes customers can be tough and unfair but that is the nature of the buisness it is not for everyone.

• Minion

Wink Re: What happens when a cast member gets a negative comment from a guest at city hall

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    People, people, people, they are just events. Some people are smart; many are stupid.
    Fixed.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    Well I don't know if my parents thought to leave a message at City Hall, but I don know that my first trip I had a stuffed Barney with me and I dropped it in one of the bodies of water (no bigger then the sub lagoon though) and a Cast Member was nice enough to go fish it out for us, and it wasn't even a Disney character
    If they had never gotten rid of the mermaids, that would have been no problem at all!

• Banned User

There are some misconceptions about complaint handling and the discipline system at the parks that I would like to clear up here.

1. 3 complaints at city hall does not guarantee that a CM will get fired. It is always at the discretion of the manager whether the CM deserves to be fired or not.
    2. It is important to understand that TDA disciplines off an infraction based system that mirrors the typical "verbal, written, suspension" system that most major corporations use.
    3. Guest compliments not only get put into the CM's file by management, but some departments even give awards or prizes to those who can get the most compliments in a month or some other time period. Most department CMs do have shift meetings with the supervisors and/or leads at which time they acknowledge CMs who have received compliments. When I worked there the CM would usually get a certificate.

• Hooterville, USA

I've left compliments and then later asked the CM if they received them, and they always tell me "no".

With the small wages Disney pays their CMs, the compliment would go a long ways to keep morale at a high level. If the CM can be disciplined within a few hours, why can't they praise you within the same time frame?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183 View Post
    ^ That reminds me of when guests with strollers walk really fast and for some strange reason aim their strollers toward me(and theres usually 100 ft of free space all around me) and I barely dodge the poor child and make a million apologies, and they still muster up to yell at me to watch where I'm going(this happens a lot btw, no joke).
    This is turning into a stroller thread!!!!

This reminds me of the people who walk slow in front of you when you are trying to push your stroller. And, can you tell me where these people aim at you in DL and where this 100 feet of free space all around you is?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    I've left compliments and then later asked the CM if they received them, and they always tell me "no".

With the small wages Disney pays their CMs, the compliment would go a long ways to keep morale at a high level. If the CM can be disciplined within a few hours, why can't they praise you within the same time frame?
    How long of a period of time was it between the time that you made the compliment and the time that you asked the CM? Depending on the dept the compliments could take even 3 months before it gets brought up during a team meeting. There's quite a bit of paper process involved backstage once you make a compliment or complaint. Unfortunately pixie dust is not encorporated in TDA's efficiency strategies.

• Minion

If they are counting complaints against a CM, with the threat of being disciplined or fired for 3 complaints, they should have one compliment cancel out one complaint. For example, if you had 2 complaints on file and then got one compliment, your count should be reduced to 1 complaint. You should be rewarded for service so good that someone took the time to file a compliment.

And certainly they should require cell phones to be turned off completely when on the job, and only used in the case of an actual emergency.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    If they are counting complaints against a CM, with the threat of being disciplined or fired for 3 complaints, they should have one compliment cancel out one complaint. For example, if you had 2 complaints on file and then got one compliment, your count should be reduced to 1 complaint. You should be rewarded for service so good that someone took the time to file a compliment.

And certainly they should require cell phones to be turned off completely when on the job, and only used in the case of an actual emergency.
    True, but you have to consider the 4 keys service model. If I get complaints because I walk around with my shirt tucked out or wearing sneakers "yes, guests complain about that stuff" how does being nice to a guest cancel out an infraction over my appearance unless the compliment specifically said, boy.. that CM sure did look clean and snappy!"

• Minion

Well at least compliments should also be taken into consideration by your manager and not just the complaints. On this thread people are saying that complaints get immediate action while compliments can get lost in the shuffle. If I was a manager doing the periodic review with a cast member I would sit down and go through the compliments with them first and then then go over the complaints. Both should be considered when making any decisions, in my opinion. If the complaints far outweigh the compliments then that would be a reason to discipline or terminate the relationship between the company and the cast member. Even if the complaints and compliments are about unrelated issues, they all apply to one person, so in that sense they are related and all count.

• Banned User

Both compliments and complaints are a difficult thing when you look at it from a manager's perspective. During any given operating day two managers working in tandem could be in charge of 8 supervisors, 24 leads, and 100+ CMs. Unfortunately with the hustle of keeping a high % level of guest services open within the operating day, compliment acknowledgement tends to take a backseat. Its really the supervisors, leads, and trainers that often take the initiative to go above & beyond in acknowledging good behavior albeit the most that they could really do is maybe give a CM an hour lunch or something like that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast