Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Sock Puppet

Re: What happens when a cast member gets a negative comment from a guest at city hall

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    Manager talks to the CM.

What happens when a CM receives a compliment? Nothing, because the CM barely ever knows they got a compliment.
    I don't know if the CM ever gets acknowledged, but I always tell the CM that they did a good job and then tell them that I will go over to City Hall or guest services at DCA to leave them a compliment. If it is true that the CM's hardly get told that they were complimented, at least I told them in person that they bettered the experience for whatever they were doing.
    A friendly compliment face to face is just as uplifting (when I worked in customer service, I know that I felt a small sense of joy being complimented face-to-face... it sweetened the pot when I was later told by my manager that they left me a written compliment as well.
    I mean, everyone deserves to be told every now and then that they are doing a good job, especially when they make a personal experience that much better. Again, if a CM hardly gets to hear about their compliments left at City Hall, I feel better about telling them that I do it, at least they have some knowledge of the fact.

• Disney is home

Re: What happens when a cast member gets a negative comment from a guest at city hall

Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Voyage fan View Post
    Sorry. But they dropped the Mystery Guest procedure. From what I was told many were rude and doing other things that upset people. But I am not sure how reliable that part it. But I do know they dropped the program.
    The program has not been dropped, it still exists.

• "I Break Things"

After reading over most of this... I'll go with "it depends on what the complaint was for"... and just leave it at that.

As to Kritter's comment, it always amazed me how quickly you would hear about it if someone lodged a complaint at City Hall. If you picked up a compliment you might... stress the word might... get a note 6-8 months later. Sometimes those note cards never made it in the record, other times the compliment hit the record but no one told you about it. But if it was a complaint you knew usually within days... really not a good model if you ask me.

While we're on the subject. If anyone enjoys the Jungle Cruise... honestly has a lot of fun and truly wants to compliment the Skip... when you go to City Hall just stop at "he/she was funny". PLEASE... stop at "funny"... because they can get in trouble if the joke you loved is not in the spiel. I'm not kidding, it's happened before, get a compliment and at the same time a verbal/written/suspension etc. for being non OG... magical huh!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    After reading over most of this... I'll go with "it depends on what the complaint was for"... and just leave it at that.

As to Kritter's comment, it always amazed me how quickly you would hear about it if someone lodged a complaint at City Hall. If you picked up a compliment you might... stress the word might... get a note 6-8 months later. Sometimes those note cards never made it in the record, other times the compliment hit the record but no one told you about it. But if it was a complaint you knew usually within days... really not a good model if you ask me.

While we're on the subject. If anyone enjoys the Jungle Cruise... honestly has a lot of fun and truly wants to compliment the Skip... when you go to City Hall just stop at "he/she was funny". PLEASE... stop at "funny"... because they can get in trouble if the joke you loved is not in the spiel. I'm not kidding, it's happened before, get a compliment and at the same time a verbal/written/suspension etc. for being non OG... magical huh!
    So do they get the compliment all the time or is it just a "a compliment, not too important" situation? I know that in the short amount of time I worked at six flags, despite it only being about 3 months, i received plenty of "good job" notes from my leads that people left. I'm sure they gave all of them to me and that was just in a short period. I was aware of them. It builds esteem to be recognized at a job in a theme park... it really does.

• the F.O.D. solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    And certainly they should require cell phones to be turned off completely when on the job, and only used in the case of an actual emergency.
    In Attractions, using a cell phone or "personal electronic device" while in a "safety position" is a fireable offense.

• Banned User

I'm not kidding, it's happened before, get a compliment and at the same time a verbal/written/suspension etc. for being non OG... magical huh!
    Oh man, I remember those skipper stories from your era. Its awesome how you could totally crack someone up and at the same time offend someone else. Same thing happened to us all the time on the Canoes although management would let some things slide since "disciplining" guests while at the same time trying to entertain them is somewhat of a required oxymoron at our attraction.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

We have had some incredibly funny skippers on the Jungle Cruise and we have always told them so right before we were assisted out by the rear

of the boat. Sorry. Unfortunate pause.

I feel for the skippers sometimes. They are doing a great spiel and being met with straight, unsmiling faces. I always try to be a 'good guest' and give them a round of applause at the end!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Quote Originally Posted by Fashion Biff View Post
    Ironically it makes me sad that someone who takes a job in a service type industry bitches about getting called out on being an arse. It does go both ways.
    Ummm I wasnt "bitching" simply stating an opinion. And never in my post did I say I've been called out for being an arse.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by matterhornlove31 View Post
    So do they get the compliment all the time or is it just a "a compliment, not too important" situation? I know that in the short amount of time I worked at six flags, despite it only being about 3 months, i received plenty of "good job" notes from my leads that people left. I'm sure they gave all of them to me and that was just in a short period. I was aware of them. It builds esteem to be recognized at a job in a theme park... it really does.
    I've seen a few different methods of delivery over the years.

From when I hired in it was an actual copy of the compliment itself with the personal information blacked out. Those meant a lot because it was in the Guest's own hand. Sometimes you'd get one that was a little kid, big block letters, half of it mispelled, made the Skip cry every time!

Around 2000 it was a professional note card in an envelope with the folded up paper inside. Not sure why they wasted the card and envelope, made it look nice I guess.

Around 2004ish it was a professional note card in an envelope that in a nutshell said "good job" and a typed up version of what was in the compliment. They also started introducing the moola token rewards around this time.

Now you could also see the compliments each month when they posted all of them park wide. Ironically that's when a lot of us realized we were missing quite a few of them. You would sometimes see them on the sheet but not in your record. Other times you would see them on the sheet, and/or on your record and never get anything handed to you. I had a lot, mainly from Jungle... didn't need the tokens and didn't care about the glory.

It always meant a lot knowing that you made enough of an impression on someone that they took the time to write it down and tell someone else. I also had a couple letters, and a few "A" List ones I wasn't allowed to get a copy of. Bottom line I loved what I did and was happy others enjoyed it, but for me a lot of it was paying back. As a kid I have these vivid memories of Jungle Cruise... and if my actions inspired the next generation then that meant more then any compliment.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    Oh man, I remember those skipper stories from your era. Its awesome how you could totally crack someone up and at the same time offend someone else. Same thing happened to us all the time on the Canoes although management would let some things slide since "disciplining" guests while at the same time trying to entertain them is somewhat of a required oxymoron at our attraction.
    I technically date to two different eras. In both cases I'm told there are now rules in place whose origins are attributed to things "we did".

• Senior Minion

It always meant a lot knowing that you made enough of an impression on someone that they took the time to write it down and tell someone else. I also had a couple letters, and a few "A" List ones I wasn't allowed to get a copy of. Bottom line I loved what I did and was happy others enjoyed it, but for me a lot of it was paying back. As a kid I have these vivid memories of Jungle Cruise... and if my actions inspired the next generation then that meant more then any compliment.
    That, IMHO, is what the true heart & spirit of Walt's Disneyland was all about.

Great post!

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• ---------------

As a kid I have these vivid memories of Jungle Cruise... and if my actions inspired the next generation then that meant more then any compliment.
    and that's what is all about
    passing it on to the next generation so they can experience what you did
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345