Disney's Half-Marathon Family Fun Run

I'm thinking about entering my family into the Family Fun Run 5K marathon in September, and I was wondering if anyone here has ever done it and what they thought about it. It looks fun! And by "my family", I mean me, hubby, and 9 year old daughter. Any info anyone?
    Well Gawrsh!

• DMTNT

Re: Disney's Half-Marathon Family Fun Run

I ran the 5K last year. It is a lot of fun and you get to see areas of the Parks that you normally don't get to see. All along the course are Cast Members and characters cheering you on. It's a relatively flat course. The only exception was coming out of Toon Town.

This year I'll be doing the Half.

Quote Originally Posted by dsnyfn View Post
    I ran the 5K last year. It is a lot of fun and you get to see areas of the Parks that you normally don't get to see. All along the course are Cast Members and characters cheering you on. It's a relatively flat course. The only exception was coming out of Toon Town.

This year I'll be doing the Half.
    Great! Thanks for the info!
    Well Gawrsh!

• Boat shoes all day long

Disneyland puts on a pretty good race. I have done the half three times and did the 5K two of those times as well. The swag (stuff we all get) has gone down dramatically since the first one I did in 2007 - but the race courses are great. Very flat, and other than within the parks, the race lanes are wide enough to pass with ease.

Packet pick-up and expo stuff last year was a mess. By the time you are done tracing all around the DL hotel area trying to get your packet, bib and shirt, you are too drained to put up with the thousands of people bumping into each other at the expo.

Aside from all that, it is a fantastic race! Hopefully they learned from last year, that we are in fact, no longer in a recession and that it is okay to put a few more characters on the running routes in the park, and a few more Power Bars in the goody bags.

Good luck to ya!
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• Please pull the yellowtab

I ran in the Family Fun Run 5k in September and I had a blast! It was great because you got to weave through both parks and go backstage. Plus along the course the CM cheered us on and there were also characters out and about. If you're not serious about achieving your personal best in finishing a 5k, take tons of pictures! I regret not bringing my camera. I thought it was awesome seeing the train depot and a train idling in the yard ready to go. Plus, I missed out on a great photo-op of Mary Poppins and Burt on King Arthur's Carousel.

I guess my favorite part was finally crossing the finish line on Mainstreet and receiving a medal. Mickey Mouse and friends were on top of the Omnimover bus congratulating finishers. It was all-around awesome! Also, they give you lots of food at the end too: bagels, fruits, sport drinks and water.

And although they offered discounted tickets to race participants, a lot of people left right after. So it wasn't as crowded as I was led to believe. It was nice to spend a day at DLR after finishing my first 5k.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

I LOVE MICECHAT & MICECHATERS! Thank you for all the insight guys. I really appreciate it...now, I wonder if the Disneyland Hotel will offer any special rates for participants?
    Well Gawrsh!

• Sock Puppet

how do you sign up for the 5K? I have known about this for about 3 years, but never knew where to register/sign up nor a deadline.

• DMTNT

Quote Originally Posted by matterhornlove31 View Post
    how do you sign up for the 5K? I have known about this for about 3 years, but never knew where to register/sign up nor a deadline.
    Go to Disneyland® Half Marathon Weekend | Endurance | Amateur Sports | Disney's Wide World of Sports. I am not sure about a deadline, but it will fill up close to the race date.

• Minion

Here's the info for those interested:

Disneyland® Half Marathon Weekend | Endurance | Amateur Sports | Disney's Wide World of Sports

I wish I had thought of this. I would have scheduled my trip a week later so I could do the half. I bet it's a blast. I'll be doing a half in Susanville in October though... which is very beautiful.

EDIT: dsnyfan is too quick on the draw for me.