Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Did 1986-89 get you excited that Disney was going in a Diff Direction?

Well, Baxter, Eisner and the gang felt Disneyland should be more relevant towards the guests, they did a very good job of it by bring in these big three:

1986:

Captain EO

1987:

Star Tours

1989:

Splash Mountain

My question is that with all these hits surprising people year after year because of the new initiative, did it get you very excited to see how Disney could top themselves once again?
    Last edited by DL_CRAZE; 02-25-2010 at 06:19 PM.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Did 1986-89 get you excited that Disney was going in a Diff Direction?

No. I wasn't surprised. Because Disney topping themselves was just something they did. It's what Disney was all about. At least up until then, one could expect that anything Disney did to the park was going to be the best.

But then came the 90s and the decline began. Not much was added, and what was added was not impressive: the "new" Tomorrowland, Rocket Rods, DCA.

Now when Disney adds an attraction that is phwnomenal say for example TSMM, people are surprised. They are excited that such a good attraction has been added.

Back in the day it wasn't surprising at all because a good quality attraction was the norm and not the exception.

• "Always On The Move..."

I was at the opening of all three of those attractions, and yes, it did get you excited. It was something to look forward to every year with what are they going to do now to top "that."

Wish they still felt the same!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Senior Minion

What excited me as a kid in the late 50's and 60's was being blown away by WED's creativity on a regular basis. Blown away by new stuff no one had ever seen before -- attractions like the Submarines, CircleVision, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, Tiki Room, Small World, Adventure thru Inner Space, PeopleMover, Pirates, Haunted Mansion.

Everyone who grew up with Disneyland in that era expected the hallmark WED inventiveness and creativity to continue. We expected them to always remain on the cutting edge of technology and showmanship. We expected them to amaze us in the 80's as they had in the 50's and 60's.

When, after a long dry spell, the only new attractions we got were a 3D movie starring a pop music star, a motion simulator ride of a marketing franchise that wasn't even Disney, and a flume ride with recycled "America Sings" characters, it was clear what direction Eisner was taking Disneyland.

And it was a thundering disappointment.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I was't around when DL was first built.

But, yes with Roy Disney being involved in getting new caretakers of Disney in the Mid 80's, and the new projects thru the early 90's. It's difficult to just stop at the list in the first post. Continue that with the excitement for the entire new land of Toontown, the 35th Party Gras celebration, the initial idea of the Disney Decade, Fantasmic! Premiering. but then things really started slowing down, even before Indiana Jones came on board.

And at the same time, Disney was growing in other areas such as the Disney Magazine, Disney Afternoon Animation BOOM, the 2nd Golden Age of Animation from Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King, the Disney Stores initiated and growing all over the USA. So the excitement for Disney wasn't primarily just what they were doing in so many different areas.

for the 3 you mention specific:

Captain EO - was not that big of a draw. It was more like an appetizer for what was yet to come.

Star Tours - Absolutely a BIG Boom for DL. It brought in a whole new ride design. Definitely showed that Imagineering could still bring in the magic.

Splash Mountain - Absolutely a big draw to DL. But for the most part, people, (at least me) were asking WHY did it take DL so long to add a flume attraction, especially since DL's neighbor had a pretty spectacular Log Ride since at least the early 70's. Of course the quality that Disney used with Splash was well above what Knott's had done, and it was nice to see some familiar friends from America Sings, find a new home.

As I mentioned the 35th Anniversary was a HUGE celebration in 1990, Toontown was a great addition, bordering on Fantasyland, It was a complete new look for a brand new land, with a lot of the very first interactive features. 1990 also promised the beginning of the Disney Decade. And then Disneyland welcome a phenomenal new show called Fantasmic! It was the biggest newest nighttime event to hit DL, since the MSEP premiered about 20 years before that.

However, there were some signs of concern that began around the same time. The Disney Decade never reallly materialized. The old America Sings Building continued as a Large part of TL, and the sign on the front of the building "We're imagineering something new" became a joke. TL2055 never materialized, WESTCOT never materialized, the initial agreement that Eisner made with Jim Henson fell apart after Henson passed away, Katzenberg and Eisner also came to blows, and Eisner burned that bridge, too. And when Wells passed away, Eisner usurped completed control, and things began to go downhill.

Eventually, when Roy Disney was able to speak up again, he expedited a change in the management of Disney, by fronting one of the biggest shareholder revolts against the CEO, Eisner.

It's VERY important to Remeber Roy Disney and Frank Wells, in with the team that brought success and the 2nd Golden Age back to Disney. It wasn't just Baxter and Eisner.

• ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    the 35th Party Gras celebration
    Wish I could find that purple coin.

It's VERY important to Remember Roy Disney and Frank Wells, in with the team that brought success and the 2nd Golden Age back to Disney. It wasn't just Baxter and Eisner.
    agree

and too bad Eisner allowed greed to take over
    From what I understand, he did the company well for awhile (someone correct me if wrong)
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Yes, Eisner did do some good, when he worked as a team. And he did help bring Disney to Broadway, with a few hits, and Eisner did bring on the cruises. And the partnerships he did forge early including the one with PIXAR did further the Disney company. It's just sad that so many of the early partnerships he forged were destroyed the longer Eisner stayed in control, primarily after Wells died.

• ---------------

It's just sad that so many of the early partnerships he forged were destroyed the longer Eisner stayed in control, primarily after Wells died.
    yes
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Well, very true in 1990 you had the popular Party Gras Parade and in 1992 we got Fantasmic!, in 93 we got toontown, in 94 Roger Rabbit debut and in 95 we got the biggest of them all, Indiana Jones.

But this is not to say it was all great, the decline happened since 88 with the America Sings bldg and by 94 it 95 it had already been empty for 7 years with no replacement, the cabin on TSI wasn't on fire any longer, the temporary removal of the keelboats in 94. 91 was the start of attraction promotions for new disney happening like Disney Afternoon Avenue, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and Th Lion King. Also in 92, 93 and 94 we lost Mission to Mars, Motor Boat Cruise and the Skyway all with no replacement.
    Last edited by DL_CRAZE; 02-25-2010 at 11:38 PM.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Right after Indiana Jones was where they ripped us a new one all the way through the the second half of the decade.

Decline in clenliness
    New Store Initiative
    Decline in Refurbs
    Penny Arcade store transformation
    Removal of Electrical Parade
    Removal of Circle-Vision, EO, Jets, People-Mover
    Dick Tracy and the Diamond Double-Cross
    Festival Arena left empty
    Pirates pollitically incorrect 97' refurb
    New Tomorrowland
    Space Mountain Ramp Fire
    Light Magic
    Removal of Subs
    Woody's Roundup
    Toy Story Funhouse
    Movie promotions for Hercules, Mulan, Pocohontas and Hunchback
    1997 Mike Fink Accident
    Interactive Toontown Activities closed off
    Removal of Dining Experience at Aladdin's Oasis

I know there's more, hmmmmm.....................

oh no but it didn't stop at the end of the decade becuase on December 7th 1999, Cynthia Harris is promoted President,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and the rest is history.
    Last edited by DL_CRAZE; 02-25-2010 at 11:49 PM.

• Animatronic

Disneyland reached it addition peak around 1969 with Haunted Mansion coming just 2 years after Pirates. Bear Country was fairly nice 3 years later, but oddly out of place in the Frontier and it was clear Disney Corp was just digging though left over Walt ideas. Worse, focus was clearly moved out to Florida.

The late 80's weren't too special. The early 80's saw the amazing Fantasyland makeover and the Matterhorn was filled in. The late 80's additions were a mixed bag. Captain EO was clearly just a movie attraction, Star Tours was yet another movie with a motion base not unlike the ones popping up in malls, and Splash Moutain probably should have been in Fantasyland.

As an AP during the time Splash Mountain was being constructed, it was endless fun watching the logs getting jammed as they worked and worked on the ride. I have grown to accept the location, but would still like a better transition from the Haunted Mansion to Splash, perhaps replacing the Splash overflow queue with a Museum of the Strange.

• ---------------

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    I have grown to accept the location, but would still like a better transition from the Haunted Mansion to Splash, perhaps replacing the Splash overflow queue with a Museum of the Strange.
    I do agree with that.
    I has bothered me that you exit HM and get dumped into SM queue line (close enough).
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

• Dept. 41 and Club 55

The Walt Disney Company is no longer about producing high quality products and and providing Guests with a magical memory. Its one and only mission now is to make as much money as possible, in any way possible, no matter the cost; and it no longer matters what must be sacrificed to make that all-important dollar.

Dude, that's always been its aim. That's the aim of every corporation.
    People these days are just more willing to buy a low-quality product.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jachywalcott View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post
    The Walt Disney Company is no longer about producing high quality products and and providing Guests with a magical memory. Its one and only mission now is to make as much money as possible, in any way possible, no matter the cost; and it no longer matters what must be sacrificed to make that all-important dollar.
    Dude, that's always been its aim.
    Not true. Read some of the many histories of the Walt Disney Company: for the first 60 years of its existence, that was not its aim.

It was always in business to make a profit, certainly. But its greedy grab to separate every dime possible from its customers and not give back in return the top quality product it was known for, is a relatively recent development.
    "The only thing about which Walt Disney cared was quality. He thought that quality was the way to maintain his preeminence... Money meant very little to Walt Disney. It was only a means to an end, never an end in itself."
    - Neal Gabler
    Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 02-26-2010 at 07:14 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast