Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adventure Thru Inner Space video?

Sure, we have photos of the ride lobby, some dirty old film strips and clips of the snowflake scene and the giant eye as well as the "virtual" ride thru, but I find it really strange that still, in the age of YouTube, that home video footage of ATIS still hasn't surfaced. I mean, the ride did exist well into the 80's, so SOMEBODY must have videotaped the ride, yes? But still, here in 2010, I can only find the usual small clips and the little ATIS virtual ride sampler. Now some people might crack, "Oh, well the rest of the ride was very dark and hard to make out on video", maybe, but still it would be interesting to see and hear the actual original attraction in full.

Or is video actually available and I'm just looking in all the wrong places?

• Minion

Re: Adventure Thru Inner Space video?

Being a filmmaking company, you would think that Disney would have exhaustively documented every single thing they ever did on film, at least for legal purposes. If there is no full ride-through on atommobiles.com (aka themightymicroscope.com) it probably doesn't exist. Atommobiles.com sells a DVD of a virtual ride-through that someone created, and this site claims to sell a DVD with "full non stop ride throughs of the attraction" but doesn't specify if it is a virtual re-creation or actual footage. ****
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 02-28-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Link removed after consideration of possible copyright issues

The only known home movie footage of ATIS was done by a CM or an Imagineer (I can't remember which) shortly before the attraction closed, because they were given advanced notice of it's closing.

The home movie can be found via the "extinct attractions club", which also on their DVD about ATIS has a 1967 Monsanto promo film, though very aged, showed different parts of the ride with the lights on (because that was the only was Disney could film most of it's rides back then using film).

The home movie taken just before the ride closed is in color, and I believe betamax...you can briefly see the person in one of the wall mirrors in the lobby as the work their way toward the queue.

They start off by filming at the entrance to tomorrowland and then work their way up into the building with a full video of walk-on and walk-off.......only problem is that it is VERY dark, and they can't pick up everything on tape. The other thing that annoys me is "the extinct attractions club" drowned out the real audio with an mp3 recording of the attraction audio.....causing echo sounds to be heard throughout the tape, and parts of the ride where the real audio on the videotape doesn't match up at all with mp3 audio playing over it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Being a filmmaking company, you would think that Disney would have exhaustively documented every single thing they ever did on film, at least for legal purposes. If there is no full ride-through on atommobiles.com (aka themightymicroscope.com) it probably doesn't exist. Atommobiles.com sells a DVD of a virtual ride-through that someone created, and this site claims to sell a DVD with "full non stop ride throughs of the attraction" but doesn't specify if it is a virtual re-creation or actual footage.
    If it's the same video from atommobiles.com, then they have both the virtual ride through and a complete ride through with real footage on the disc.
    Last edited by pratt55; 02-28-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: like in quote removed for copywrite reasons.

• Minion

Cool, thanks, I'll have to buy that DVD. I can almost replay the entire ride in my head anyway, especially when listening to the soundtrack of it. Probably the best ride soundtrack in Disneyland history, almost like a mini episode of The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits. I can still feel in my mind the texture of the giant fiberglass snowflake that you passed close enough to touch, and other key points in the attraction.

• We Want The Redhead

I have the Atommobiles DVD (thanks Sis!), but it has no filmed ride-through on it. Only a couple of CGI reenactments.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Being a filmmaking company, you would think that Disney would have exhaustively documented every single thing they ever did on film, at least for legal purposes. If there is no full ride-through on atommobiles.com (aka themightymicroscope.com) it probably doesn't exist. Atommobiles.com sells a DVD of a virtual ride-through that someone created, and this site claims to sell a DVD with "full non stop ride throughs of the attraction" but doesn't specify if it is a virtual re-creation or actual footage. Adventure thru inner space DVD (monsanto)***
    Just remember when buying from any non-Disney site, "buyer beware."

http://micechat.com/forums/micechat-...tractions.html
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 02-28-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Artistic integrity

Surely Disney documented it, near it's closing. I know they did for America Sings in 1988 ... So, it's relatively easy to assume they did it 3 years prior .. for ATIS. So .. tucked away in some vault ... Disney has at least some of it's extinct attractions on film or video tape.

I don't get it, there's clearly a demand for it, so why doesn't Disney just release these documented extinct attractions?

• Minion

ATIS was a very creative attraction, had a dramatic soundtrack, and even had an educational edge to it that made it awesome. Every time I walk by Star Tours, I miss ATIS even more. Then you look up and you see an empty Peoplemover track. For so long. I know this subject has been rehashed time and again, but I do miss those attractions. Mars too!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Surely Disney documented it, near it's closing. I know they did for America Sings in 1988 ... So, it's relatively easy to assume they did it 3 years prior .. for ATIS. So .. tucked away in some vault ... Disney has at least some of it's extinct attractions on film or video tape.
    I don't think that Disney made ANY efforts to document their attractions (from a guest point of view). Just as the Studio used to actually throw away all of their animation cells, documenting the attractions wasn't important enough to spend the time or film on. Even finding still photos for attractions like the DL Castle Walk Thru (needed for the recent enhancement) was apparently next to impossible.

I think that there are more and more people now getting their old pictures and movies digitized and posted on line. There is a good chance that, in the future, some enterprising person could compile the disparate items floating around and present them is a viable manner.

I've heard that these days, Imagineers actually use the internet more than their own archives to pull research information.

As for what Disney actually has available, I don't know if I'd really care for it anyway. Have you seen their MSEP video (waste of money)? I keep hoping that someone would be able to compile segments from guest videos into a quality video.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    I don't think that Disney made ANY efforts to document their attractions (from a guest point of view). Just as the Studio used to actually throw away all of their animation cells, documenting the attractions wasn't important enough to spend the time or film on. Even finding still photos for attractions like the DL Castle Walk Thru (needed for the recent enhancement) was apparently next to impossible.
    Throughout DL history .... they probably didn't even think to archive their attractions slated for removal. But as I said ... they in fact DID film America Sings .. so that footage exists. On other attractions that closed around the time of America Sings' closure ... I coudn't say.

But it's reasonable to believe .. if they took the time for America Sings ... then betting a dollar that they did for other attractions since then is a good bet.

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    We also need to remember that Disney didn't have an archive till Dave Smith started it in 1970. After that everything started being documented. He even found Mary Poppins snow globe in the janitor's office, and the janitor found it in the trash. That's how bad it was there. The archives since then have been very through with collecting something from everything. However, I will ask someone I know at the archives next week when I see her.
    Jaxum- Disneyland Aficionado!
    Disneyland, WDW, and DLPR Annual Passholder
    D23 1st Day Charter Member
    My Disneyland and WDW videos and photos!
    http://youtube.com/tkfore21 .... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaxum_readis/sets/

Disney days for 2009:
    Disneyland:(27) / Tokyo Parks:(4) / WDW:(19)
    Total Days in the parks for 2009: 50!
    Disney days for 2010:
    Disneyland: (27) / WDW:(31) / DLRP: (6)
    Total Days so far in the parks for 2010: 63!
    D23 and Other events:
    Expo '09, Candlelight Spectacular '09, Magic and Merriment '09, D23 Anniversary DL/WDW, Studio Tour April '10, Disney Archives 40th Anniversary, Destination D: Disneyland 55, Disneyland Scavenger Hunt, Sip and Stroll '10, Tangled Screening, TRON Pop-up Shop, Magic & Merriment '10, Everest Challenge '09, Adventurer's Club Weekend '09, DL Candlelight '09, Gumball Rally '10, WDW Radio 24 Hour Live Show '10, Disneyland's 55th Anniversary, Pacific Northwest Mouse Meet '10, Mickey's Halloween 5k '10,WDW Radio Walkabout '10, ConGaloosh '10, DL Candlelight '10

Disney filming America Sings got me thinking...something either Disney or General Electric did was document the Carousel of Progress while it was at Disneyland from 1967 to 1973 before it went to Florida, and I'm thinking it's Disney that did it because there's quite a few scenes that are shown on "Imagineering the Magic Kingdom" DVD that came out in 2009. It's not the same footage that was filmed for the "wonderful world of color" in 1967 for the opening of the new tomorrowland, this appears to have been footage of every single scene in the show, along with a slightly different angle showing the audience sitting in the theater as it rotated.

When Walt participated at the 64 world's fair, thanks to the "wonderful world of color" the main show of "great moments with mr. lincoln" was documented, along with "it's a small world" (though it had to be done with the lights on), and other companies like IBM and DuPont documented their attractions before they closed....even the SC Johnson company still plays (albeit a digital remastered version) of their 64 world's fair academy award winning film "to be alive" at their headquarters in wisconsin to this day.

• Just this guy......

You might want to check out the following website:

Welcome to Adventure Thru Inner Space Splash Intro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast